Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• elliowbelliowb Posts: 7
    Volvomax is right, Subbies are good cars as well. However... I bought a 1998 Legacy GT and just last August replaced it with a new 2004 V70 2.5T. The cars are in two very different classes. We had both vehicles for the last year and every time I got in the Subaru, it felt cheap, much smaller, unprotected and underpowered.

To be fair, because the Volvo is not AWD, it doesn't handle as well in wet conditions as the Subaru. The Subby is also a bit quicker in reacting to manueveers.

So far, my V70 (about 29K to date) has only been in the shop for scheduled service. Over the years I've owned the Subaru, we had a major problem with the manual transmission (something that I beleive must be systematic not just a fluke) before the warranty period had expired. It began to recurr before we traded the car last month. It also blew out the front oil seals around 115K (also something that is systemic in Subbies).

All in all, I'd have to say I love the Volvo experience much better than the Subaru (my local Volvo dealership also treats one a whole lot better).

-- Bill
  • My children keep pulling out the dual cupholder out of the rear pulldown center armrest. There is a little brass spring that pops out when they pull it out. The dealer has popped this back in a couple of times and I'd like to do it myself instead of always running there. Does anyone know where it fits? I can't figure it out how that little spring fits in.

Thanks.
  • I can't find an equivalent run-flat package including tire pressure monitors available for the xc70 that is offered for the V70
    in 2005. Is it not being offered?

thx
  • My dealer flushes transmission fluid and radiator on this service even though volvo specifically shows in the manual that this is unnecessary at this mileage. Is there any reason to do this?

Thanks
  • Wife uses for in town driving only. Tired of filling tank three times a month. Noticed a difference in the first two weeks. Still on the first free tank and have 200 more miles to go on this tank. Also, the size was a factor. Large Denali for wife who fears tractor trailers, you get the idea.

Compared with Maurano, RX300, XC90, and Infinity SUV's. Hands down more space inside. Read the brochures carefully when looking for a new ride. You would be surprised at how little the space is in the smaller SUV's.

Also love the idea that there are not many on the road. Every other car is a RX300 around here or a infinity.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The Rin Flat pkg and the tire pressure monitoring are 2 different features.
    Both have been delayed for the 2005 model year.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I know that the restyled S60s and V70s will go on sale soon here in the States, however, will the basic 2.4 continue in both lineups? And do you know of any changes in hp or torque ratings for that engine?

Also, while looking up values on Kelley Blue Book I noticed that automatic Volvos get more money on resale than do manuals. Looks as if manual Volvos aren't popular anymore.
  • News flash, jros...I don't think there was a time when Volvo manuals WERE popular, at least not in the "Volvo as most of the public knows it" age (which I think began with the intro of the 240.) It took me a year of searching to find my former car, the 740 GL, in a five speed. I didn't even bother looking for an S70T-5 5 speed...I just bought a GLT (which is auto only) and called it good.

BTW, almost without exception, a manual transmission is a significant deduction from KBB values, no matter which car you're talking about.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    I believe the S60 2.4 is history but the V70 2.4 soldiers on.
    Volvo manuals have NEVER been popular.
    They just gather dust on dealer lots.

The S60 2.4 is available only to fleet companies for 2005.
    The V70 2.4 continues.
    Volvo manuals have NEVER been popular.
    They just gather dust on dealer lots.

That's right - it's not easier whacking Chip and Buffy in the back seat with a fly swatter if you have to grind gears!!
  • Are you buying a car for the next owner, or for YOU?
    If what YOU prefer is manual transmission, then why not buy that, instead of shopping for the next owner?

We've bought 2 Volvo wagons with MT, a 1990 240 and a 2000 V70. Neither one was on the dealer's lot, but they weren't all that hard for our dealers to find, either.

$10,940 vs. $11,230 : that's the KBB private-party price difference between manual and automatic for a 2000 V70 2.4 in good condition with 75k miles.

Having said all that, our latest Volvo (an '04 V70) is an automatic, and I really like it.
    I would agree, buy what you want.
    Just understand how hard it could be to unload a manual wagon.
    KBB doesn't tell the whole story.
    Hell, for $290 difference I'd take the automatic every day and so would everyone else.
    The manual would have to be ALOT cheaper, or you'd have to get lucky and find a manual freak like yourself.

Good Luck
    ...for $290 difference I'd take the automatic every day and so would everyone else.
    The manual would have to be ALOT cheaper, or you'd have to get lucky and find a manual freak like yourself.

Everyone has their own priorities. Today, that auto option in a Volvo is $1,200 at MSRP I believe. So after 4-5 years I'll get a $4-500 return on it over an auto. Essentially I've paid $7-800 to be miserable over that time.

My current car is an auto after 15 years of driving sticks. I hate it - we bought it just in case my in-laws visited and needed a car. In 6 years, they've used it once. I would've rented them a car for the day.
  • johnwngjohnwng Posts: 24
    I am wondering if anyone knows the lug nut size for 2003 V70? I need to purchase a wrench socket to be used together with the torque wrench. Thanks in advance.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    I love wagons and am tall. We have a Subaru Outback but it is a bit small for me as a driver. A Passat fits great.

We had an S40 (2000) and it really soured me on Volvo. Many problems that the dealer just could not fix inlcuding a suspension squeak. Nice dealer - problems just would not stay gone so I sold it for a Honda Accord which has been great.

I take heart from the notion the V70 has more "Volvo" in it than the part Mitsubishi, Part Vovlo S40.

Is a V70 wagon likely to at least be more reliable than a Passat? And should the experience be better than my S40?
  • Don't wnat a SUV, simply need more hauling space than Impala provides. How does V 79 compare to Pilot.

What is value of Vovlo compared to Honda after a couple fo years?

ANy help is appreciated.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    My wife and I purchased a CPO 2001 V70 back in January, and until it was totaled in an accident in May, it was trouble free.

We loved it so much that when we got the insurance settlement money, we used it to purchase a new 2004 V70.

We've now got over 12,000 miles on our 2004 V70 and haven't had a single problem. It is a supremely comfortabe touring car with lots of room for the whole family.

We love it!
  • I am a single mother interested in purchasing a 2004 Volvo V70 wagon. My number one concern is safety, but I am also dumping my 2000 Passat XLS due to excessive service issues too numerous to outline here. The guys in my office are telling me to forget about a wagon & to go with an Acura or an Infiniti because those cars have good crash test results and service records. Any off the cuff reactions out there? If you had it to do again would still buy the V70?
  • We've now owned 3 Volvo wagons over the past 14 or 15 years, and yes, I would still buy the V70 if I had to do it again. My wife thinks they are great.

We also have had Japanese cars. Your colleagues probably are correct that Japanese cars tend to be more reliable than European models. So Honda or Toyota may be the way to go if reliability is your main concern.

However, you say it is safety. Even though most cars now come equipped with air bags, and at least offer ABS, Volvo remains exceptional in their emphasis on saftey research & development.
    One feature that sets them apart is their anti-whiplash seats and superior head restraints. Whiplash injury is a leading cause of personal injury claims. Swedish research suggests that the Volvo and Saab seats do provide significant benefits. And, almost all Volvos safety features (except for Dynamic Stability Control and the new blind spot sensors) are installed on every car ( they aren't "options".)

Volvos also offer exceptionally comfortable seats. The V70s not only have loads of cargo space, but the seats fold down more easily than in your Passat. Gas mileage is good too, for a car its size.

Personally I also prefer the styling of European over Japanese cars, but I guess that's just a matter of taste. If you do lean towards Japanese cars, I'd consider a Subaru. Much more practical for a single mom than an Acura or Infiniti, with 4 wheel drive and excellent crash-test results.