Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    XC70

Also says Cross Country under the back glass.
  • It is not worth it. As tires wear they actually become smaller. If you don't agree you can actually measure them but it is tough to be acurate. Take a piece of chalk and draw a line on the pavement. Roll a new tire 5 or 10 complete revolutions and draw a second line. Do the same with an existing tire same revolutions. you will see a difference and this will cause your AWD to fail.

doing 2 won't matter any way so if you not going to buy 4 just do the one and replace your transfer box if/when it fails.

Sorry my wife loves the volvo wagons and we are looking to replace our old 850. She wants AWD and I want FWD specifically for these reasons.

In an old life I sold tires and went through a couple of week training sessions at the Michelin plant in SC. They will tell you to buy 5 tires when you replace and rotate every 6-8 K including the 5th tire in the rotation pattern. That way this will prevent you having an issue like this. Oh yea it won't cost you any more because by buying 5 instead of 4 tires you get more wear out of them.

That said I never saw anyone purchase 5 tires under this logic.

All of this said all is probably a mute point because few people rotate their tires often enough to keep them the same size. My guess is your volvo eats up front tires quickly and rotation is very important on his model as they are so much heavier in front them back.

Good Luck
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Then it's AWD.
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    flgirlaol,

What is the exact model designation on the back hatch of the rented Volvo wagon? Does it read "V70R" or just "V70"?

Were you able to confirm the presence, or absence, of drive axles connected to the rear wheels?

Whether it is FWD or AWD drive, I hope you'll let us know how the vehicle handled the mountain road. In about 1985 our 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (GM "X-Body) FWD easily climbed an icy hill that a bunch of Mercedes and BMW RWD cars were slewing sideways on. FWD will do a great job of climbing icy hills. Where AWD shines is in aggressive driving on twisty roads.

Jim
  • It just says V70...I didn't look at the drive axles yet...sorry it's too cold outside..but I'll look later!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Hmm - I can't delete this message. I thought it was flagirl posting the lettering - not volvomax.
  • I must be lucky! I have been driving Volvo wagon for a decade now. Started from the 850 series to V70's and never had problem. I do lease my cars, so I change them every 3 years and get the same car over, just a different version. Right now I'm driving the V70-R series. It's nice but have to refuel more often, this car drinks gas... I think my favorite one is the T-5.
  • churechure Posts: 3
    I'm looking at buying a V70 T5 and was looking for feedback as to whether the T5 was recommended over the the standard V70.
    We will adding child #2 soon and don't want to jump into the minivan world or add another SUV. I'm moving from a Jetta GLI and prefer to have a sporty feel to my vehicle and the T5 seems to fit the sporty family car. I'm am looking in the used market, most likely '04 coming off of 3yr leases.
    Again, I'm interested in comments about the T5 and whether I should continue to look for it versus the standard V70.

Much appreciated.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The T5 is faster, htats pretty much it.
    Seats are a little nicer and you would have a few more toys on the car.
    T5 wagons are pretty rare.
    The 2.4T or 2.5T's are more common.
    They also have turbo engines, they just aren't as powerful.
    Are you considering a base 2.4L non-turbo? My wife has a 2004 base V70 168 hp with 5-speed auto tranny and roof rails as the only options. It's got plenty of power, gets better fuel economy and is a lot cheaper.

On a trip with a Thule roof box we got 29 mpg. I've also got a Volvo trailer hitch on it, but in the one highway trip pulling the trailer the mpg was down significantly to a little over 20 mpg.
  • camydogcamydog Posts: 64
    I have an '01 T5 and do enjoy it. You will see a very notable difference in ride, handling and performance when compared to the light pressure turbo of the 2.5T and its softer ride.

Our car is equipped with third row seat (kids only), built in boosters, cold weather package, 5 spd auto with selectable gears, leather sport seats (std on '01 T5) and rear spoiler. There are a few other small things. It now has 57k miles on it with no drivetrain problems. We did have fit/finish problems with the door panels coming debonded from the frame behind the door pull. They were replaced under warranty. We also had a door lock issue as they related to the keyless entry and alarm. This was a warranty item also.

Beware of any clunking or noise from the front suspension on your test drives. These cars (at least the '00 and '01) have issues with front stabilizer links breaking or the bushings going bad. We were lucky to get this replaced under warranty at 49700. If I subscribed to a conspiracy theory I would say Volvo designed this into the car to get work for their dealers, but I don't REALLY believe that. It is an extrememly common needed repair.

The horsepower difference is 20-25% above the 2.5T and the ride is much stiffer in the T5, sometimes not a good thing, such as around town on older concrete. It's very comfortable on the highway and a blast when passing. There is some turbo lag, more notable on a man. trans. In the auto it's much less notable.

Good luck with your search. If you need any more info email me.
    I appreciate the comments from everyone.

I do like the idea of the the bigger turbo and sport feel. I've been looking for '04 T5 and they're out there but not too plentiful. My thinking was they would be coming off of 3 yr leases. If I were to expand my search to other years are there any I should stay away from?

I'm hoping $20-25k should get a T5 with less then 50k miles. I'm not really in a hurry, baby in fall, so I can wait for the right one to come along.
  • If you like a sporty car and need some room for kids, I would suggest getting the V70 R. The R (also available on S60) includes a twin turbo engine that produces 300 hp and 258 lb ft of torque (for automatics), and most importantly, it has an adjustable suspension. There are three settings: Comfort, Sport, and Advanced, which allow you to adjust the ride softness or hardness and increase sharp cornering ability when desired. Oh, and it's a lot of fun to drive even though it is a station wagon.
    Thanks 4x4, I've been now looking and reading about the R and I'm getting torn towards it. I test drove the 2.5T and it was nice but I'm guessing doesn't compare to the T5 or R as far as acceleration.

I have a manual trans in my GLI and had ruled it out for the V70, because my wife will be driving this also, but she gave the go ahead for manual trans, any thoughts on manual vs auto trans for the T5 and/or R?
  • Hi Chure:

I bought a 06 manual V70 (normally aspirated) last fall and I love it. New, about $30k (with the climate and convenience package, as well as metallic paint, 3rd row seating and sunroof). Most Volvo dealers will tell you that it is impossible to buy a stick shift V70, but that is because they want to sell you what is on their lot. I actually called about 7 dealers before I found a 5 speed 2.4 V70.

The T5 is gone. A R will cost you at least 40 grand.

All of my minivan owning friends are envious when I unload my three (small) kids from the Volvo. I also get 30mpg on the highway, and I would estimate a 9 second 0-60 time.
  • campbedcampbed Posts: 2
    Volvo Canada leases out V70 ASR's with leather to Hertz Canada. These cars are returned to Volvo when they have about 15,000 km on them. These are sold to dealers who certify them and resell to the public,generally with a 5 year, 140,000 km $100 deductible warranty. Questions- Has anybody out there bought an ex rental, and if so, what is/was your experience with it. Any comments about buying a low mileage ex rental??
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    In early '01 we bought an 01 V70 XC that had been a Hertz rental car put into service very early on in the model year. Someone had scrawled on the radiator cover "08/00" which indicated the in-service date. (I have since learned that savvy used Class 8 truck buyers always check the VIN for in-service dates because a vehicle could vary as much as 12 months in age within a given model year.)

Prior to buying it I called Hertz in Boston and elsewhere to get a feel for their "maintenance schedule". It was like talking to meatheads. They didn't have any. None. Just wash it and wait for the next OJ Simpson to come along. The car had a filthy air cleaner etc. But not to worry, we threw in a new air filter , changed the oil filter (why isn't there an aftermarket filter for these things?) and Mobil 1 and put it on a rigorouse maintenance schedule.

We had the usual problems with this first model year car which I have recounted earlier. But none as far as I know were related to Hertz. At the time we bought the car, it had high mileage for a six month old car. But because the car isn't used much, the odometer now only reads 83K so it is back within parameters.

One benefit of buying a Hertz rental is that it will be specced with a desireable color and options. I don't think Hertz buys lava colored, stick shift V70s with manual seats. They spec them to be rented by conversative middle aged people and quickly re-sold to, you guessed it, conservative middle aged people.

We are hoping to pick up the new iteration of the XC70 in '08 or, more rationally, in '09 when the first year bugs are worked out. To hedge our bets we just installed a bunch of replacement and upgrade parts from IPD Volvo: new struts, new engine mount, a strut support bar, the upgraded charcoal filter, etc.

Beyond the question of Hertz, the larger question is would we buy a V70 XC again? Yep. Despite the first year problems, where else are you going to buy an AWD entry-level luxury wagon for a 35-36K USD transaction price? A Bimmer AWD 5 Series wagon is 67K list with much less capability. Not only is it 30K more than an XC, to haul your butt around it has TWIN turbos! Come on. That is a maintenance problem just waiting to happen at 70K miles.

An E Class AWD wagon is "only" 20K more than the Volvo with, again, far less capability. The Germans do look nice when Muffie pulls up to St. Pauls or Andover in one to pick up Seamus for the ride home at Christmas.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Hey, if you're around I need to ask a question: How does one disable the daytime running lights on a 2003 XC70? My folks just purchased the car; however, I could not find a little disabling screw next to the headlight switch, like there is on my '96 850 and '99 S70.

Other folks on the board, please feel free to answer my question. Thanks a lot!
    I recall that the owner's manual on my 2004 V70 states that the daytime running lights can be disabled by the dealer. Presumably this is done through the computer port.

I am a tightwad and hate the thought of burning the headlights out, and the area around the headlights is so cramped that I'm not sure I can change the bulb at least on one side (don't remember which), but I haven't disabled the daytime running lights. I think it does make the car more visible. It could bring my car to the attention of an inattentive driver coming the other way. And I appreciate other drivers doing the same for me.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    What does buying another new Volvo and a second marriage have in common? The triump of hope over experience.

With the new 2008 Model Year changes, the new V70/XC70 looks attractive. Wouldn't it be slick to pick up a new one to replace our '01 and ride the new one out for the full model cycle as we did the '01? We had our XC70 now for the full run of the model cycle and stylistically had a "new car" for 7 years. Conceivably, my thinking went, if we buy an '08 this fall we could get 7 years out of that one too. (The only flaw in that argument might be that in 2015 when I am 70 I may not want to be faced with replacing a 7 year old car. But then again, if 40 is the new 30, 70 is the new 50 and I'll have a lot of miles left on my chassis.)

I then remembered the problems with our '01. Problems chalked up by everyone as typical of all first year cars. But, oh well, that's a long time ago, surely Volvo/Ford have learned how to better test prototypes with computer modeling/CAD-CAM, etc.

Maybe not. Recently, I had heard about the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. It was brand new a couple of years ago and was so bad that web sites sprung up labelling it the "power joke". You couldn't keep head gaskets on it because it only had 12 head bolts to clamp each head on. Ford said that the heads could not be resufaced or even rebuilt. The diesel pickup people were irate. Ford had to rush through a revised 6.4 engine with radically different heads.

Maybe non-destructive testing at Ford hasn't advanced as much as we would have hoped?