Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Hello? Hello? Anyone here in the Volvo forums?

Do other Volvos have the seat-belt warning chime go off even if you have fastened your seat-belts before starting the engine? I hope this is another thing that can be reprogrammed. Does anyone know?
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Posts: 20
    My 2010 V70 does not chime as you described.
    Thanks. I e-mailed the saleswoman about it. I'm hoping it can be reprogrammed, because it's very annoying.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I just installed a set of Bilstein HD shocks all around. At 105,000 miles, the OE shocks were completely dead (I was able to fully compress the front shocks completely by hand!).

This was long overdue, but the ride degraded so gradually and my wife drives the car 90% of the time, I only just got around to doing the switch.

The car is utterly transformed. Steering is tight, road feel is wonderful, and the handling is firm with no sacrifice in compliance. It finally feels like the European Touring car that it is. It's like driving a new car again - I'm thrilled.
    You think it's a better ride than the OEM shocks were when they were new?
    No doubt about it.
  • ldtmldtm Posts: 8
    Has anyone heard of steering racks failing on 2006 V70? Mine is being replaced by dealer under warranty but I'm really concerned as to why it happened and if I run the risk of future problems associated with this failure in the future. I've had ongoing concerns when turning the wheel that I've documented with them but they were never able to pinpoint the problem until now.
    What exactly failed on it? That sounds scary.
    They did not give me specifics. There was a noise that got worse whenever I turned the wheel. The noise was so bad I was afraid to drive it and it also led me to check the PS fluid which was practically empty. There was evidence of recent leaking on driveway but interestingly no stains indicating there was a leak going on for a long time. The dealer basically said the steering rack needed to be replaced and I should not be having this problem and that this would take care of it. I am going to ask to speak to one of the mechanics - any advice on what I should ask would be greatly appreciated.
    What kind of noise? Was it a kind of moaning sound coming from the engine bay?

Last year, my V70 started making that sound whenever I turned the steering wheel. Fresh PS fluid was the solution.
    Good description, that is very much what it sounded like. And I would agree, just fresh PS fluid but in this case they 're telling me the entire steering rack needs replacing.
    edited May 2010
    I lived with the moaning noise for months and logged several thousand miles before I changed the fluid, and there have been no ill effects with mine.

I suppose it's possible your steering rack failed, but my suspicious nature tells me the dealer is looking for the warranty work.

Whether your rack failed or not, there's no harm in getting a new one. They are mechanically very simple, and there is no known defect with them that I know of.
    Already my brand new car is having electrical gremlins. The right turn signal bulb has burned out. The car doesn't even have 1,000 miles on it yet! I am not happy.
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Posts: 20
    A burned out bulb is not a gremlin. It is just a burned out bulb, most likely a fluke, a sub standard bulb that was in the mix. Can happen to anyone or any new car. Enjoy your new V70. They are wonderful vehicles. And Volvo will replace it for you at no cost.
    Bulb failures are a part of the ownership experience with Volvo's. I've replaced one or two bulbs every year since I bought mine - usually the dealer does it for free. No big deal.
    Will any dealer do it for free? I bought it from a dealer about 45 miles away from me, but there is a dealer much closer, just a few miles down the road.

Maybe it's time I introduced myself to the closer dealer's service department.
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure they don't have to do it for free, but it's a cheap loyalty earner for them.

However, if I lived 45 miles away, I wouldn't go to the dealer to get a free replacement. The bulbs are only a buck or two, and all you need is a screwdriver and 5 minutes...

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0- - - &strParents=127,383&P_ID=1583&CAT_ID=383&V_ID=3392

IPD is a great company, by the way...
    Hubby took the car in to the close-by dealer today and they replaced the bulb for free. This dealer is likely where we will get warranty work done, for convenience reasons, so it was good that they stepped up for this little thing.

I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I don't think I ever needed to change a bulb in 10 years in my Maxima.
    If you ever see a Volkswagon or Volvo with all it's lights working, go buy a lottery ticket right away... :P
    Ha!

Well, all our lights are working at the moment, so maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day. ;-)