Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

14567810»

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 2,307
    edited August 2
    There are many different issues that can cause the stabilitrak system to be disabled. Virtually anything that can impact the PCM's ability to control engine power and torque to the wheels, as well as problems with the antilock brake control system, airbag system (yaw sensor) steering system (steering angle sensor), and the four wheel drive component issues can all result in the engineers having the software shut the stabilitrak system down. It all follows very clear logic to those who have made the investment in study time to be ready to troubleshoot the robotics in the car at that level. As part of understanding how it works it's a good exercise to examine it from the perspective that the stability control system on most cars doesn't exist as a stand alone item. It is software that is running in the background of a handful of vehicle systems working in concert with each other that creates the ability to have that system.

Seems like auto mechanics lost in the court of public opinion decades ago.

Yea, but blaming all of the techs of today for the sins of some others only serves to perpetuate the problems at a time when that's the last thing the consumer ultimately needs. When consumers and yes even shops can't find techs that can handle relatively simple systems like stabilitrak, they are reaping what they have been sewing.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,939
    Even more logical would be to have the PCM tell the owner (and the tech) just what module went flooey. Couldn't OnStar email or text that info to the owner?

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 2,307
    If it could, then it would be doing it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 47,554
    It's feasible but I don't think it's possible to do that right now while the car is "on the run". Perhaps a car could be designed to be parked and put into some kind of powered-up diagnostic mode and the PCM could do a series of pass/fails.

Doc has a point. I mean, let's say in my part of the world (an area that can post $145/hr shop rates) that it takes the tech 4 hours to track down and remedy the Stabiltrak problem and by golly, it was a loose connector that got corroded.

So the bill is $580 + $7 for parts. The consumer is not going to like that bill.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• junktahoejunktahoe Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ that we bought used. Prior to owning it I have always bought GM products; however, I will probably never buy one again. Within a week of owning it the stabilitrak off/system off started. After spending more and more money on repairs I searched the Web to investigate the issue and learn that it is probably more uncommon for the 2007-2009 Tahoe to NOT have the stabilitrak system issue. I have also learned that the true resolution to the issue is never posted other than many completely different theories and a lot of wasted time by the dealers and money by the Tahoe owners. I have read many forum posts inquiring about a class action law suit. Anyone with the information about a true resolution  or the class action suit please help. Thank you 
14567810»