Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

Comments

• Seems like GM has a really screwed up electronics situation with Stabilitrack . I had lots of trouble with it in my '04 Tahoe . Now that I am ready to buy new , I'll be acoiding GM . I've got a Tahoe & a Silverado . Both of them had rotted brake lines because they arte made of inferior material and positioned to collect road salt . They rotted out and failed in both vehicles while I was on the highway and could have killed us . Gm knows but never recalls . Shameless !
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    We are very sorry to hear about this condition with your Tahoe, nwesley, and are glad that everybody's okay after the highway incident. Are you working with a dealership or local mechanic to get this checked into?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I called today and the dealership stated "there could be a million reasons why it is doing that, we have never heard of that. You would have to bring it in for us to look at for service fee. Not very confident in the Service manager. but will bite the bullet and give it a shot. Im afraid that it will just be a waste of money since "we have never heard of that."
  • I purchased my first Tahoe last year. I'm a realtor and need a nice new large vehicle for driving clients to show property. I got the top of the line model and have kept the Onstar feature. For the past few weeks my Stabilitrak and traction control service light is coming on while I am driving then goes off after I pull over and restart the motor. It will not happen again for days. The OnStar monthly service report I receive does not indicate any issues. Any idea what is going on?

Also, my Tahoe constantly has this noise like a CD is spinning... even when the engine is off. The CD player is empty. The noise is getting louder and really irritating. Customers ask me about it all the time. Anyone else having this problem?
  • I hope that you have a lot of money available . Once the stealership gets going they really add it up . My brakes failed during a snowstorm --the lines had rotted through , and they got me for over three thousand dollars before I got my vehicle back . If you are not on warranty , you should go to an independent garage ,.
  • Im glad you are ok as well that is very scary. We have a 2005 Chevy Suburban and this must be the weekend for problems. We drove up north to see my parents for New Years. The snow wasn't to bad on the way up about a few inches in 6 hours but it wasn't steady. The service stabilitrak light came on and off a few times, we were braking more than usual but we kept out speed at a maintable level for the conditions. The next day it was fine never came on, today we drove a few miles to the grocery store and it happened again this time went off and on more than 6 times and the truck sounds like it is runing rough. The heat on the drivers side also is blowing cold air yet the rest of the truck is fine, obviously that is not related but just pretty odd. I will be watching this closely and taking the truck in when we get home. Due to NEw Years Im not sure any dealerships are even open tomorrow just hope we make it home safe on Tuesday. Good luck if you figure anythign out in the next few days please post it!
    texcyn,

If you purchased your Tahoe new last year, I would suspect you're still within your bumper to bumper warranty (unless you've exceeded 36,000 miles). Any plans on working with a dealership?

4mykids13,
    We're sorry to hear that you are having these troubles right now - it is a tricky time of year. If you want for us to check dealerships in your area to see if they would be open tomorrow, email us your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, ZIP code, and a summary of the situation (socialmedia@gm.com).

• We are having major issues with our stabilitrak and traction control lights going off while driving..sometimes the lights indicate they are turning off; other times it states they need to be serviced. Our vehicle has been seen 3 times since September for this issue and so far we are out of pocket $728.80. It will be seen again for the fourth time in two days. Our service Dept is now saying the alcohol content in the fuel is reading high and we need to use 'good' gas stations.. The stabilitrak and traction control lights went off approximately 12 times yesterday and on several occasions while the indicator lights were going off the vehicle shifted extremely hard from first to second gear.

Ive been onto several forum and have found where others have experienced this same issue... its very apparent the dealerships have no idea how to fix it. Yet customers are forced to pay to 'fix' something only to have this issue come back days to weeks later.

I AM IN COMPLETE FEAR OF MY FAMILY'S SAFETY WHEN DRIVING THIS VEHICLE.
    wandh112,
    Are you already working with Customer Assistance on this? If you would like for us to check into this further, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

Regards,
  • the stabilitrack system is a nightmare . that's why I won't buy another Tahoe . They change parts and charge you a lot but don't get it fixed .
  • Sarah at GM, I am getting the info together today and sending it to the email address you provided. Thank you
  • We are having the same problem. The system constantly switches between stabilitrack n and off, with a hard shift between 1 and 2 when it goes off. This is one of many issues we have experienced with this vehicle and the dealer repair shops are worthless and not trustworthy. How is your oil between changes? Was burning close to two quarts every 3000. Dealer said this was common in this engine. Maybe time to go to a overseas make.
  • Apologies in advance for the long post.

Here's the next phase in my story on the Stabilitrak experience:

The morning after my last post, I jumped the Suburban with no issues and the car seemed to run fine again. Then on Christmas Eve we were on our way home from a short trip (5 miles) when the engine started to make a clattering sound and the Stabilitrak warning message came on. We parked the car as soon as we got home and didn't drive it again until two days later when I drove it straight to my mechanic's shop (still making the same clattering sound).

I work with a local, independent mechanic and I trust him a lot. When I pulled up to his shop, he heard the engine and said "That's not a good sound." He recognized the sound of bad lifters...maybe because he had seen two Suburbans (2007 and 2008 models) the same week with the same problem. Come to find out, Chevy has redesigned the lifters on my engine model 4 times since I bought my Suburban and they've also redesigned a portion of the oil intake from the oilpan. The issues associated with those two fixes will generally manifest themselves in excessive oil consumption (sound familiar anyone?) and rough running engines due to cylinders "dying".

Unfortunately, my mechanic confirmed pretty quickly that I had standing oil in places I shouldn't (so I needed the redesigned oil intake baffle) and I had a bad cylinder (so I likely needed the redesigned lifters). He was pretty certain it was "just" a bad lifter, but said he wouldn't know exactly what was wrong until he got into the engine.

After getting a $3,500 estimate for fixing both problems (included replacing all the lifters and some other maintenance-related stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do unless you're tearing your engine apart anyway), we investigated with a dealer and found that we were getting a pretty good deal. We told our mechanic to go ahead and do the work. He called me yesterday, after getting everything pulled apart and confirmed that the lifter on one cylinder was completely collapsed and was the root cause of the engine noise. He is also fairly certain it's been bad for a while and is the root cause of our Stabilitrak warnings. We should have the car back tomorrow and I'll get a full report from the mechanic on anything else he noticed. Hopefully this will be the end of our Stabilitrak woes!

When I originally asked him about the Stabilitrak warning messages my mechanic told me those were just the way the computer manifested any number of issues and that any competent dealership could read the diagnostic codes from your car's black box, do a little investigation, and quickly determine the root cause(s) of the Stabilitrak engine warnings and related engine behavior.

My advice to anyone experiencing Stabilitrak issues is to be an active consumer...read the forums and do your research to best determine what might be wrong with your car. Then find a mechanic (either independent or at a dealer) with whom you are comfortable and have them read the diagnostic codes from your engine. If you're going to a dealer, you will have to get past the receptionist and the order takers before you can talk to someone who works in the shop and will be able to talk to you intelligently about your car and it's issues. Be persistent. If you can't talk to the person reading the codes and doing the work on your car, go somewhere else. Everyone should have a mechanic they trust; if you don't, it's time to get one and this provides you an opportunity to do so. Invest some time in finding the right mechanic and it will pay off in $ and in the satisfaction of knowing someone competent is maintaining what is likely one of your biggest investments...your car.
    dwevanskc,
    If you would like for us to do any follow up on the visit you made to your dealership, please contact us via email with further information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).

• No oil burning issues thus far . Your dealer tho , sounds like he is full of beans . No good engine should be burning oil like that . Seen an independent mechanic ? They are much cheaper .
  • So the throttle body was replaced costing about $400 (after the "discount"). It has not given me any problems since October--KNOCK ON WOOD.

After reading the many posts here, I had some similar issues with other systems: (1) my tire pressure light is constantly on and won't measure the pressure in the front left wheel (2) The a/c was only working sporadically on long trips - would blow warm air after about 1 hour of driving (3) back right window works on and off right around this time. All of these items are things that have been reported by other tahoe/yukon owners before stabilitrak system went out.

My new question to the group is (1) has anyone gotten anything out of communicating their concerns with GM Customer Service (i.e. "Sarah")?? I've heard NOTHING. (2) Has anyone taken any legal action against GM related to the stabilitrak system failures??

It seems to me that GM is being negligent by failing to launch a recall on whatever is causing the stabilitrak system to fail. My concern is that something bad may happen soon and am disgusted that nothing has been done by the manufacturer to prevent. It may take all of us banding together (similar to Toyota Prius acceleration problem) to take legal action before someone takes notice and does something.

Thanks and be safe out there...m
  • Does GM, i.e Sarah, have anything to say other than "Have you contacted a GM dealer?" Seems as though plenty of folks have done that but without any great results or even good results. I have this problem, and had my two grandbabies in my 2007 Tahoe when it happened. Diagnostics can't find anything wrong! What are you going to do about it GM?????
  • Well ? Sarah GM , are you there ? Do you have an answer about why GM is not ordering a recall ? Do we just have to dump these vehicles & buy Fords or Korean , ETC. ????? Come on Sarah , give us some answers !!!
    Hello bgjohntx,

From a Customer Service standpoint, the main thing we're able to do is to collaborate with the dealership to see what the diagnosis is, follow up to see if a solution was found, and try to ensure your satisfaction with the experience. Additionally, I have documented this thread for further review by my supervisors.

I wish I personally could do more for everybody on this thread, but as I'm not technically trained and as I have limited resources to work with, I'm afraid that this is the extent of my abilities.