Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

123457»

Comments

• kmountskmounts Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone still having these issues? I have a 2015 Tahoe that just hit 50,000 miles has been being serviced by Chevy dealerships since I bought, and the Stabilitrak light keeps coming on and we lose our parking assist, lights flicker on and off...the last time I took it in for the full over haul and to have all fluids and filters changed and they ran diagnostics on the stabilitrak and said it was nothing, but today my engine light started blinking every time I would use the gas pedal...did this for about a mile and then it didn't do it again...I mean this seems pretty crazy for a relatively new car...
  • retiredcop90retiredcop90 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ. For the last few months the 'service stabilitrak/service traction control' lights have been coming on (theoretically shutting off those features) on the dash cluster as well as on the DCI screen but have noticed no difference in the vehicle handling. I took it to my dealer but when they put the scanner on the truck's DLC there are no active, pending, or recorded codes of any kind.

Dealer said they had no idea & they would hate to have me spend $90 an hour to have their mechanic chasing a gremlin. They would hate it??? (With 33,000+ miles its out of warranty).

I've been keeping an informal log of when this occurs as it has been sporadic. When it does happen the one common thread I noticed is the outside temperature is at or above 90 degrees. I live in Phoenix so needless to say its easy to hit that mark in the summer. As if to confirm that theory, with the coming of fall we have had some cooler temps & the warnings have not come on. But by mid-day with the temps still hitting 90+ they have been coming back on.

So I'm wondering if some sensor is reacting to the higher heat? Or is there a module that is triggering due to the same issue? Because there are circuit boards involved (I presume) is the heat causing a faulty board connection to expand, open & separate causing what is known as a 'high open'?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or have they noticed theirs is coming on in higher temperature situations?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2016
    It will have to be diagnosed in "real time" in that case, or the situation will have to deteriorate further to make it easier to track down. The Stabilitrak isn't an actual "thing"--it's a network of things interacting--so the gremlin could be just about anywhere. You need to be reading data as the problem is occurring.

Why don't you see if there is a highly experienced IANT member near you?

www.iATN.net

click on "repair shops" when you get to that website

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    He's got one of the best techs in the country in his general area. J. Riggle. He will find him through the iATN.
  • jenna843jenna843 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone still having this issue? Is there a actual solution to the problem?
    There's no one solution because there is no one "Stabilitrak" system. It's a network of modules and sensors so the "solution" could be any number of things. You could have six cars with this problem and 6 different fixes for it.
  • tahoenebraskatahoenebraska Member Posts: 1
    Fixed my 07 Tahoe today by cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor and replacing the air filter. I have the the same stabilitrack and rough idling issues mentioned before. I also replaced all spark plugs and spark plug wires.
  • ammontyq1297ammontyq1297 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 chevy avalanche and I'm having the same issue misfire cyclinder
    1and I would be very interested in filing a class action lawsuit GM knew of the issue and they passed it on to the consumer that's a mess after the tax payers saved them my truck is Also out of warranty. 124.000 miles
  • ptrserna1991ptrserna1991 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem with my 2015 Tahoe. It happened to me on the way downhill. As soon as I applied my brake , the truck said stabilitrac and the whole truck was turning off and on. Lost control of my truck because the wheel locked up on me. It's very scary when you have your entire family in your truck and you lose control. The good thing is that I took a video of what it was doing because it did it more than 10 times. After getting back and taking the truck to the dealership and $350.00 later, they checked the truck and said that the negative cable was getting high resistance. I asked the service rep if this was common and he stated that it was. I asked him if GM Motors knew about this issue and if there was a recall. He basiclly told me that GM knows about the issue but will not fix it. Pretty stupid not to fix a 6' cable that would save lives and prevent law suits.
  • jenn7711jenn7711 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Tahoe 114k miles I have had this issue for 4 or 5 months now it has almost gotten me killed when the engine shut off and steering locked on the interstate with my children in the truck. I have had the codes read I replaced tps tune up and my oil has been serviced as it is scheduled. This happens very frequently and nobody seems to have an answer. I want an answer. I need a fix. If GM can not come up with a solution for all of these people with the same dangerous issue with the  Dash cluster warnings "SERVICE STABILITRAK" "ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED"  "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL" then a class action lawsuit needs to be started and I definitely want to be a part of it. I work too hard for my money bought my truck out right with cash and now have a piece of crap unsafe vehicle with little to no trade in value or resale value because there is no definite fix for the issue and even the GM experts aren't able to tell me what to do to make my truck safe and reliable.
    edited December 2017
    You might check to see if there is a technician on the listings in the website I've posted (below) who is near you. These are the best of the best.

With a car as old as yours, and with the paltry results of a class action suit (most of the money goes to lawyers), I would recommend instead that you just take it to a competent person and get it fixed.

There is no reason this truck can't be repaired properly.

http://www.iatn.net/
  • hewjanishewjanis Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2011 Chevy Tahoe I purchased the vehicle used just over a year ago it now has about 93,000 miles on it . Last year I had a problem with SERVICE STABILITRAK" "ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED" "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL lights coming on and took it to my local dealer. I cant remember the part he fixed maybe it was the TPS but there was a recall on it. It was dangerous I almost hit someone as the Tahoe would just rev up and shake when these lights came on. Now about a year later to my dismay the lights came on again and my vehicle started running rough. I was told by my mechanic that I have low compression in cylinder one which is causing my engine light to come on and that the warning lights are reading a courtesy light code. I know it makes no sense to me either! I was asked if it was burning oil which I noticed I was a half quart low between oil changes. The plug which my mechanic removed from was just covered in gunk and grime from the motor. I was told to contact the dealer first and check recalls which I did. The dealer informed me there is no recalls for my vehicle and he would look at my vehicle but the cost would be mine. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and after reading this forum I am nervous. Its to bad cause I really like this vehicle but its not safe. I wish I would of read this forum before I purchased my Tahoe
  • hewjanishewjanis Member Posts: 2
    OK just to follow up on my last post which after reading every other post I can say I wasn't shocked. Well my Tahoe has less than 93000 miles on it and was praying it was a warranty issue it however is a 2011 which makes it 6 years old. Yep was told its 5 year 100,000 there is no warranty and nothing GM CAN DO. It is the same problem with the number one cylinder failure which I was told they have to replace all the lifters and seals to the tune of 2,000 dollars and change. That's 10 hours of labor which is half the cost. I am stuck here I cant afford $2,000 dollars and I cant afford to be without a vehicle. It seems if there is the same problem with so many vehicles there would be a recall on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I am losing my mind here trying to be calm.
  • steveeraysteveeray Member Posts: 2
    It’s interesting I found this post. I bought a used 2007 Tahoe. From a used car dealership with 30,000 mile “dealership warranty” from Neibourhood Au to in Texas. It’s like pulling teeth to get them to fix the vehicle:
    Constant problems;
    Light Flicker
    Traction control and check engine light
    surging at stops almost dieing 
    —————
    I’m disabled but have an automotive degree. I finally looked at the vehicle —————————————
    SO.....I looked at vehicle as hard as it was for me. The dealership pulled finally after the 5th time and I replaced battery put new alternator in it. It helped with light flicker but not fixed. Upon exceleration lights flicker or regular driving......
    SECOND MAJOR PROBLEM...not adding the smaller issues IS I received the dealership “under warranty paperwork” It states INTAKE LEAKING. OK WHY NO WARNING LIGHTS
  • steveeraysteveeray Member Posts: 2
    Pt.2 BECAUSE THEY PULLED 2 fuses which cancelled out transition control and check engine light. My post was longer but was cut short. The engines were not made right at the manufacture level and there pulling your fuses to fix the lights so you can’t pull codes of 171 and 174 so they don’t have to replace engines/head gasket! That’s what they did to my vehicle under a warranty. WOW 
  • corayeakcorayeak Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone has found a fix to this stupid issue. I see a lot of other people with 07 Tahoe's are experiencing the intermittent flashing "STABILITRAK OFF" "TRACTION CONTROL OFF".

This happens to me every so often and it seems to happen when it rains or the road is wet. Never happens driving on ice or snow. It also happens when it's dry out. The symptoms on our rig is the "STABILITRAK OFF" then it flashes "TRACTION CONTROL OFF". After this pops up the car tries to up shift and it's pretty loud, it also jerks forward, this has almost caused me to rear end people.

The first time I took it to Chevy they said it was something to do with the Gas Tank and we had a new sensor put in the tank and something else- this ran about $600. Drove away and the stabilitrak light IMMEDIATELY came back on. I took it back and they said that sometimes this is an issue but it doesn't mean anything.

A few months ago my check engine light came on and once I got to the dealer it was off. Then the stabilitrak light came on again and it was on and off for a few weeks.

Then today the stabilitrak error popped up and it did the usual loud shutter upshift and jerk motion. And then I pulled into a starbucks and when I turned the wheel hard it make a groaning sound and was very hard turning.

I brought it back in today and am hoping for answers. I feel like it's just going to be a different issue each time and they charge me EVERY time they diagnose it.

This either needs to be Recalled OR they need to not charge each time to fix. If something is wrong and they can fix it I will gladly pay. But I feel like it's just a money pit and I can't afford to keep guessing what it is. I am going to write chevy directly. I know that may be a long shot but this is a serious issue and potentially dangerous.
    Problem is there is no one "fix". Stabilitrak isn't a "thing", it's a system, and so any component interconnected within that system can trigger this. So the "fix" is really a process, not an object.
  • Robsr1Robsr1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    My 07 Chevy Tahoe got a code po300 I’ve changed spark plugs ,wires,coil packs, also  Service traction and service  stabilititrack control are on check  Engine light is flashing !! Please anyone help me I’m going crazy !!!
    You're going to have the car professionally scanned, otherwise you'll be chasing a ghost. Not only that, you'll be buying a new catalytic converter if you continue to drive with a flashing CEL.

Maybe this tutorial can help you:

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/diagnosing_misfires.asp

• aaron907aaron907 Member Posts: 1
    Any more info ? Our Tahoe only has 30,000 miles and runs like horse s***. Rough idle, sluggish, burning oil, stabilitrak lights on all the time spent a lot money and and nothing fixes it. Has there been a lawsuit? Gave GM a chance never again. So unbelievably frustrating.
  • JinxlinxJinxlinx Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Yukon is doing the same. Stabilitrac, traction and Abs lights. 76,000 miles.

(Exceptions)
    Cruise control works when indicator lights are on.
    Lights Remain on until reset. (Keyoff 15 sec).

(Occurances)
    After driving 70+ miles, Only tested in Texas summer 90F.
    And finally only in stop and go traffic or making a stop.

(Resent issues)
    Back tail light out (Replaced) 700 miles ago.
    Rear trailer braking module (replaced) - Service trailer braking. 5000 miles ago.

(Checked/Cleaned)

All rear grounds, engine intake sensors, fuses and wiring-for obvious damage including boots. Any obvious suspension noises including wheel bearings- not present.

(Issue that may be related)
    Wondering steering - looser than ide like but safe enough to pass. Steering doesn't return to center completly but does "roll out" towards a return. Last alignment done 5000 miles.

Kind of the same story as everyone else.
    Including the guy at Autozone. He thought a piece of tape on my cluster would be an applicable solution, as it solved his lights. I work for a living so my truck is too. Regrouping on this forum to see what's the best place to start throwing money. I think wheel bearings with sensors would be a start in the front? Unless you guys have a solution or theory?

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    If you look at your vehicle closely you will notice something missing when compared to brake systems on older vehicles and that is the proportioning valve. The ABS system electronically contols brake bias and if the ABS system is diasabled for any reason you lose that safety feature.
  • AandigramAandigram Member Posts: 1
    I'm following this post. Earlier this year, we purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. I love this truck. I really do. But, this morning, I began experiencing these issues:
    • StabiliTrak light came on
    • Stability Control light came on
    • Hard kicks when the truck shifts
    • Kick on a slow left turn
    • Sounds like a flap coming from below the frame
    • Hard idling
  • 2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L flex
    Symptoms:
    Gauges bouncing, Stabilitrak, ABS, Door Locks, traction control off, service suspension, service 4 wheel drive, park assist off, hard shift from 1st to 2nd, no auto 4x4, no cruise or back up camera.

Checked and tested all fuses, relays and switches all tested good.
    Reset ECM

New:
    Battery
    Alternator
    Negative Battery cable
    Positive cable
    Ignition switch
    Plugs
    Wires
    Mega Fuse 175a
    LAN wire terminating resistor

Cleaned ground points and other connection points:
    Mega fuse connections
    Front motor to battery ground
    Frame to battery ground
    Body to motor ground / tried new strap as well
    Front driver’s side cab corner window ground behind pillar cover
    Frame ground under drivers side door.

Pulled fuse #2 in main fuse box under hood (ESC/ALC EXH) (electronic suspension control/auto level control exhaust) this controls the exhaust valve on the compressor. After doing so all symptoms stopped malfunctioning and I was left with a check engine light and service suspension light. was able to drive it to work with no other issues. I will update and expanded on the root cause after I am able to dig in a bit deeper this week but wanted to put my findings out there to assist others in the meantime.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    @justanothergearhead
    That's a great help to others because it shows that trying to diagnose and narrow the area of the problem can help to end up with a fix.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• MeghanRMeghanR Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    We have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - it ran great until this summer. Driving home from a long weekend, going 65mph on the highway, the engine and stabilitrak light came on. It seemed fine, so continued home. On the off ramp, it struggled between 1st and 2nd, made it to my driveway and completely stopped and wouldn’t move. Car was running, but wouldn’t drive. Had it towed to a local Chevy dealer, and it took them several days to tell us we needed a new engine (never had a single issue before, no warning well maintained, 120k miles). A friend who owns a reputable independent shop offered to give us a second opinion and concurred. We replaced the engine. The stabilitrak issue has continued for months since. Same thing happens every time - lights come on, car won’t drive once it shifts down to 1st. Will be fine after it starts again, so garage can’t seem to diagnose a fix. So we are left with an unreliable car with a brand new engine 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I should add, we bought this car brand new and have been the sole owners.
  • johnedjohned Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    Just wanted to add some information that might help some. I bought a 2007 Chevy Tahoe used and think it is a great car. After a trip to the lake i started getting the StabiliTrak, traction control,. and hard kicks when the truck shifts. Mostly when shifting from first to second gears. At this time cruise control still worked. The issue for me was that the air MAF/IAT wire connectors had come loose and a clean of the throttle body cured all these issues.
    Months later the StabiliTrack and traction control messages started coming back, randomly. This time the cruise control no longer functioned. I drove it like this since it still drove fine, but did noticed that the error messages only showed during driving and stepping on the brake pedal to stop or slow down. So a friend suggested changing the brake actuator and i did. This solved this issue, been six months, cruise control works fine and no more messages from anything. Another mention I never got any actual codes for these issues so there was never really anything to clear. But that also meant there were never any codes that would help guide me to the problem.

Now if i could just figure out my O2 sensor wiring issue.
  • KimKenKimKen Member Posts: 1
    @retiredcop90 we live in Las Vegas and have had the same problem with our 2012 Tahoe LTZ. Radio turns off, traction control/stability reading comes on, dash lights come on, sometimes the door locks will lock and unlock and it occasionally loses power while accelerating. I also noticed it happens a lot more in the hot evenings. Did you ever find a solution?