Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

Comments

• Normally you have to speak with the BBB regarding vechicles, but this is the exact same problem recurring in the same make and model vehicle. I will speak with the West Virginia Attorney General's office in the next day or so and see what can be done since there is probably a record of incidence on file in every state.
  • msw007msw007 Posts: 21
    I never filed anything with the Washington State AG office. I wonder if I should? I'm not a great believer in the BBB.

This seems to be prevalent in the 2007-2009 model years. 2007 was the first model year with the new AFM system and the lifters seem to be the main culprit. GM made a modification in late 2009 for the 2010 model year.

I'm in the process of having Black Bear Performance due a tune and eliminate the AFM on the new "remanufactured" motor we just had installed. The dealership said it should not affect the warranty.

I wonder how many people are out there with these model years who are just beginning to have these problems?

I wonder how many actually are doing their due diligence to try and get something out of GM?

GM is pretty fast to say "we'll cover 50% of the cost of a remanufactured motor". I think they know they have a problem but it maybe cheaper on a case by case basis. They must be betting on the come that most of the motors will go past 100K in miles so then they can tell people to pound sand.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    edited April 2013
    Remember it's the policy of GM and dealership not to discuss this with the consumer.
    This may help you with the dealer:

Apparently it is the lifter(design flaw???) that goes bad, causes a crack in the #1 piston(which lets the oil through henceforth the oil consumption) and since the #1 plug is fouled the vehicle runs rough which sends the stabilitrak/TCS lights to go crazy, also lots of compression loss, rough idling etc.

Has this issue been addressed in the newer vehicles?
    Yes, that it was only for 2-3 yrs 07-09 they had these particular lifters in them.
  • ironmac2ironmac2 Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Z-71 CREW CAB 4X4 that has 83K purchased the truck new, had the trans go out @ 40k @ 50K had to replace front wheel bearing @80K swithch for blower motor went out and now at 83K under load it blows white smoke some times and it's not a head gaskget and yes it is a 5.3 Flex fuel motor.........How do we get a class action suit started ???? I live in Ca. L.A. county .
    Thanks RGM.
  • wykeemawykeema Posts: 13
    Well GM customer service just told me they can't help me bc my vehicle has 83,000 miles I said that's not a lot of miles and had it been an 08 it wud be covered so don't imply 83,000 miles is a lot so I'm waiting to speak to a supervisor because the rep said they're not helping me at all.
    Did your dealership talk to GM?

My dealership was able to get the 50% for me originally and have GM pay for the diagnosis. I tried to get more but came up empty.
    If the dealership you are working with is unwilling to go to bat for you then go to another dealership until you find one that is willing to work for you.

I also wrote a letter to GM's corporate office's to the top the President, Chairman etc. They won't read it but there minions will and they have more pull than the drone on the phone.

Just stick to the facts. Keep it simple and to the point. Be very business like.

Good luck.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hi wykeema,

I can certainly understand your frustrations. While I cannot promise a different resolution at this point, I would like to review your case file. Can you send me a private message with you full name and VIN please? My email is socialmedia@gm.com "attn Crystal" in the subject header.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    Well I just learned that bc I wasn't fortunate enough to buy the Tahoe new even though it only had 53,000 miles so I figured it was close to new (wit most cars able to go 200,000 miles) and even though I still paid almost 30,000 and am still paying for it then I'm out of luck. I said well owners who have bought the car new are having the same problems so it's the design not anything anybody is doing. They told me its probly not true and people lie I said well why would people waste their time lying about the same issue like no one has things to do besides make up lies on the Internet . They said they dnt think they can help and if so maybe 20-30%. That's why they needed bailout money bc they dnt stand bhnd their products flaws and have lost many a customer.
    It's not the dealership who is saying this it's GM s representative. I called the dealership myself bc I was wondering what they told the rep for thm to tell me no assistance @ all bc they implied the dealership made it like it was the condition of the car. Well the service manager said all I told them was a break down needs to be done first before a positive diagnosis will be made even though they felt it was the cam n lifters. So then I talk to a supervisor who changes the story to its bc I didn't buy the car new n they may get the dealership to do 20-30% after I pay for breakdown. 20-30% on engine work on a car that had 53,000 and that still cost almost 30,000, which is a brand new terrain, Acadia as well as others. I passed those up for my Tahoe bc that's what I always wanted, but I guess to bad for me I couldn't get it brand new.
  • cmachk1cmachk1 Posts: 4
    Well...I just had a new engine put in and a new transmission (at the expense of my extended warranty) because of oil consumption issue and a tranny pump. I have 90,000 miles and its an 07 suburban. I initially took it in because upon acceleration the idle would jump and the truck would sputter...guess what, it's still doing it!!!!! Took it back to Chevy two days later and now I'm being told it "feels" like an injector but because its not throwing a code...there's nothing they can do. W T F
    It's crazy that Chevy hasn't recalled these vehicles but of course it would cost too much, I would've never thought I would be having these kinds of problems with an 07 Tahoe. I really thought that it was a top of the line vehicle interestingly enough you don't find out about issues until you buy one and end up on these forums.
  • 1before401before40 Posts: 5
    I have spoken with the Attorney General's office here in WV and there are a couple of options in taking legal action against GM. The first step is for each owner to file a complaint with the attorney general of your state, so the complaint is registered and on file. Most states can file the complaint on the phone, online or a traditional paper filing. I am filing the traditional paper filing to have copies available to circulate as needed as the complaint works through the system. After filing with the Attorneys General, the next step is to find a law firm to represent the group and file suit. There are a couple of law firms here in WV, that I will contact in the next couple of days and go from there.
  • 1before401before40 Posts: 5
    I have spoken with the Attorney General's office here in WV and there are a couple of options in taking legal action against GM. The first step is for each owner to file a complaint with the attorney general of your state, so the complaint is registered and on file. Most states can file the complaint on the phone, online or a traditional paper filing. I am filing the traditional paper filing to have copies available to circulate as needed as the complaint works through the system. After filing with the Attorneys General, the next step is to find a law firm to represent the group and file suit. There are a couple of law firms here in WV, that I will contact in the next couple of days and go from there.
  • manley01manley01 Posts: 1
    I would like to be added to this.
    My 2007 Chevrolet Suburban with 110,000miles is sitting in the shop at Westfall-Odell Motors in Kansas City right now with this same issue. GM says they will pay the 45% of the $3600 to replace piston and rings and all the good stuff for this same problem. Has anyone had any better luck with GM paying for something more?
    Kenny
  • lewman03lewman03 Posts: 3
    thank you for posting this.

Though I do not expect things to last forever i am experiencing the same issue on my 2007 LTZ, that i am the original owner of since Dec 2006. I still have a 2005 Tahoe Z-71 I bought new and I had a 2003, bought new before that, traded to get my 2007. all that to say that I love these trucks/cars. Started to have a littlwe problem starting about a week ago. then died at an off ramp while stopped, waiting to turn. I am starting to get oil consumption, yet no leaks in garage or smoke.

it is out of warrant (162,000 miles) I guess I beat the odds that it didnt start earlier. my concern is technician is indicating the need for a fuel pump change. After reading all of this that seems like a mistake. I always keep 1/4 to 1/2 tank gas to keep the fuel pump from getting hot. Learned that on my 2003(sigh). I'm going to try the "reset" idea. that doesnt fix the oil consumption issue. I would like to keep driving these cars- even considered buying new and having it converted to Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). GM doesnt owe me a motor or even 1/2 a motor since out of warranty but I expect to get high miles out of my cars. if the world could expect higher miles from GM, the resale market would be better, which would help the new car sales. because i know my vehicle depreciates faster than many others, I intend on driving them a while. gotta chew on this.
    my concern is when did GM know this. I would have appreciated a notice of recall if this was an established problem. from chasing problems and changing parts that are not the solution, how much in other parts changes have customers paid for to later come to this problem? wasted money! wasted time!
    So I bought my 3 new suburbans/Tahoe in Lafayette Louisiana, but have not done business with the local dealer yet. I have kids turning driving age and was considering Chevy Cruze, Malibu and even new Impala, besides another Suburban- We love to travel in ours. now I'm concerned about buying. it appears GM is replatforming for 2015 (Suburban). I bought the new platform in my 2007 model. is it becoming to risky to buy new car when it is first year of replatform?

Local dealer is going to do nothing for me. He owes me nothing. GM, if you are watching this thread, your suggestions and enlightened self interest in getting my future business could be a good start. We both know this is a documented problem. the most profitable vehicles GM makes is the full size SUV. This is the one vehicle of which the customership should GMs choice to not own a widespread problem is why you will lose customers.
    They don't care some service reps act like they don't know it's a problem and people are making stuff up on the Internet . This was really said to me they're not go n to do a recall bc it wud b too expensive so they're dealn wit it individually and seeing who they can get over on by bringing up the out of warranty claim. It's unfortunate to have an engine problem @83,000 miles they told me to pay th 1000-1200$ engine tear down n mayb they'll help me wit 20-40% if they feel it correlates wit sumthn on they're part. Needless to say my vehicle is still messed up bc that's a 5000$ job n I'm still makn car payments . I looked into lemon laws and talked to an attorney abt class action suit but was told it wud take to long n mite not b worth it . This all sucks bc a tahoe has always been my dream vehicle .
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    edited July 2013
    Talweman03,

We see in a previous post you were going to try to reset the computer on your Tahoe. Was that successful for you?

Regarding receiving recall notices, have you heard of the Chevrolet Owner's Center? You can create an accountand keep track of warranty and recall information, as well as keep a record of your service visits.

We're available to you to check into any situations regarding your vehicle or working with a dealership. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sarah
    GM Customer Care
    edited July 2013
    Hello Sarah

Thank you for responding. I have account at The Chevrolet Owner center since my first new suburban. I will check there to see if I missed anything.

I am taking it to Bob Howard ( nearest dealer) Chevrolet in Edmond OK today. I will email you tis morning as well.

I appreciate any help.