Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    We enjoy hearing about your purchase experience; however to avoid any conflicts with our policy on soliciting, we're asking our Town Hall participants to please not post email/phone numbers of car dealers, or individual sales people, in their messages.

If you mention the dealership and town, people should be able find it. Also, if you want, you can ask people to email you for further details.... Okay? Thanks for abiding by our rules. Also, feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments regarding this matter.

And now, back to the subject of the Ford Taurus & Mercury Sable Wagons!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Are the wagons he's advertising 2002's? With the current rebate, that price is not too unusual. Our local Merc dealer in Methuen, Mass is offering loaded sedans (moonroof, leather,etc.) for $16999, and had 9 left last time I checked. The wagon's about $1100 more. I was sorely tempted, but caved and got a used '96 Taurus GL wagon instead.
  • I am posting this here for my 99 Taurus Wagon because the wagons have 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS.
    I notice when i tried it on a snow covered parking lot there was a noisy grinding sound along with quick brake applications when I held down hard on the brakes. It did stop OK and straight in a short distance but it was NOISY. I just had brakes done on this car at a Ford dealer but wanted to know how it reacts as this is my first Ford with ABS.
    Thanks in advance.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    There is a lot of noise when the ABS is activated on any car, You will hear noise, and feel fairly significant vibration in the brake pedal as well. I think you are just experiencing the normal sounds of ABS operating.
  • jdiaz2jdiaz2 Posts: 16
    Has anyone had a brake light switch failure? There was a recall for Taurii with power adjustable pedals last summer (which we did), and now that switch has just failed again on my car. Just curious if anyone else has seen it.

The failure modes are:
    - Car will not shift out of park without following the elaborate procedure in the manual

- Cruise control will not shut off or shuts off randomly while cruising down the road

- Other cars seem to get very large in your mirrors while braking for stoplights....probably because your brake lights don't work. :)

I just ordered this part today from my dealer....looks simple to change.

Jon
  • Sounds like your car is stillin warrentee. Why not take it in? The adjustable petals are just for very short people to keep them from sitting on top of the air bag.
    Did you get a fix?
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I had the brake light switch go out 3 times on my 2000 LS wagon before they finally fixed it right. It went 6 months without another problem (with the brake light anyway) then I traded in the car on another make altogether.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "DO NOT BUY any Ford or Mercury!! They (deleted) in quality!!i bought a 1993 sable wagon with a 3.8L engine from a 'sweet' old lady!!"

OK, first, it's a 10 year old car, 2nd it's used, 3rd the "old lady driven" is a myth.

The biggest myth in used cars is that low mileage is "all that". A car that sits and sits will have dried out seals and parts. No way is a car "preserved" if it is driven 10 miles a week.

I remember someone writing to the Chicago Tribune complaining of 120,000 mile Cadillac that died, saying "I'll never get one again!" The editor basically told him he was lucky it lasted that long!!!

Any used car is "buyer beware".
  • I don't agree with tomcat. Why buy such an old one?? You maybe paid $1200. for it? I got a perfect 1999-24V with 67K or only $6500. Dealers give them away. I have had no problems with it.
    For quality is really great.
  • wow, rogertc, you make me feel used. I paid $4500 for my '96 wagon with 80K!
    I love it, though, seems like a cream puff so far...
  • Yes sir there are bargins to be had out there. Mine has a power adjustable seat too which is nice because if I raise it all the way up I don't have to plop my old fat butt down into it. Almost like getiing into a SUV....just almost however. I am thinking of finding another one because they are so inexpensive and great wagons.
    Roger

Roger
  • Absolutely! I adjust the seat up all the way, not exactly like having an SUV, but it helps visibility. I shopped hard for an SUV (Rav4, Forrester, etc), but they are all either too tiny, or too expensive. They are also NOISY!
    I find the Taurus to be much more pleasant to drive/ ride in than any of the SUV's I tried, and it also carries more stuff.
  • I have a 2001 Sable GL Wagon. Are the passenger switches for the power locks and windows supposed to be illumated at night? I'm not sure whether mine are burned out or what. All the switches on the driver door work, but the other three door switches are dark.
  • Are you locking out the power windows? If you lock them out (so passengers can't play with the window switches), the illumination for the passenger switches goes out. Unlock the power window switches, the lights should go back on; that's normal. If not, there's a problem. This only applies to window switches. There's a power lock switch only on each front door, and the passenger lock switch doesn't go out, to my knowledge, unless there's no power to the switch (in other words, only if you have a problem).

I believe the lighting is by LED, which last a long time and do not easily burn out.
  • Thank you Ed for that explanation. That sure explains it. Yes, the passenger windows were locked out. I spent a long time going through the owners manual trying to read about that feature, but found no mention of it. Thanks again for your post - really appreciate it.
  • bg729bg729 Posts: 6
    Subject: new sable wagon-6 seater- how is heat??
    Date: 1/31/2003 8:24 PM Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <20030131202454.17879.00030880@mbs-m04.aol.com>

I am trying to decide whether to buy an LS mercury sable wagon. How long does it take the car to warm up inside? There is 79 cubic feet to heat. Does the back seat get warm enough. The six seater does not have an A/C vent in the rear for the summer, either.
    If you own the car. please share your experience. I don't want to buy a car that is an icebox- I have some medical issues. I rather cough up more $$ and get a Saab. Thanks in advance.
  • BG729, My Taurus wagon warms up just fine. I suggest you stop at a dealer and try one. How cold is cold?? Only got to -7 this year and wagon warmed up just fine. It is just a mid-sized car. With the Ford there us more dealer support in the USA. Saab dealers are hundreds of miles from where I live.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    My Merc. station wagon warms and cools quickly. No complaints. I'd stay away from Europeans if I were you.
  • bg729bg729 Posts: 6
    Thanks to those who responded to my question about the heat in the LS wagon. I got a very nice deal on one yesterday and hope to take possession on Tues. morning.
    Has anyone tried installing removable head rests and cores in the bench seats for extra safety? Has anyone found an aftermarket site that sells mercury sable head rests and cores?? I know you can buy head rests and cores for some European cars.
     Thanks in advance.
  • It's not in the '98 manual that I could find either (nor in the service manual). My wife actually noticed it when we were taking a friend and her daughter somewhere. We normally don't lock the windows. My wife noticed the lights were out after I locked out the switches, and asked if I knew they were out. After I locked and unlocked the switches a couple of times, and saw the lights go on and off, we figured it out.
This discussion has been closed.