Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• efo1724efo1724 Posts: 2
    I have owned several Taurus / Sable Wagons and sedans since 96. I hate when I see these vehicles take hard critisism for quality as overall my experience with them has been very positive. My wife currently has a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the 24v duratech, leather, mach audio-cd changer etc. I bought the car with 6k on it for 13.5k 4 years ago, it now has 82k and outside of front pads (still has a brake shudder, chronic issue with these vehicles), and a set of tires has been excellent. What other vehicle can you buy for the money as loaded that is comfortable, performs well for what it is, seats 8 (in a pinch), can easily accomodate the lumber trip to Lowes and averages 24-28 MPG. She is currently interested in an 05 Freestyle and the Taurus is still worth about 5K. In my opinion, not bad depreciation for the service it has provided, I only hope the freestyle is as dependable.
  • mambo44mambo44 Posts: 1
    My beloved 2000 Taurus wagon was totalled out in a crash on April 19, 05 and I am looking to replace it with another one. I had this car since 2002, bought it as a red carpet lease return with low miles and balance of factory warranty on it. My only major repairs were a windshield wiper motor and a brake shift lock switch that were covered by warranty (lucky for me). Other than that, only regular maintenance as anticipated. I too have found the actual station wagon market VERY LIMITED. Several Ford dealers say 2005 is the last year of production for the Taurus and just finding a wagon has been a challenge, as there were not many made--all going to ballyhoo the new Freestyle which is not what I am looking for. I have found an 04 with about 15K on it and my only qualm is the digital odometer/message center...I would prefer the rolling mechanical style, as any electronic repair makes me edgy. However, with any luck, I will probably buy this as a replacement as I feel the Taurus meets criteria of needs--hauling 3 teens and cargo, roof rack for special needs, etc. Average gas mileage for me was about 20mpg in the city, not too bad for a car of this size and weight. However, my payout from the insurance company was a little less than I'd hoped, but hey, it's a Ford. Bodily injuries to me personally..not too bad. I was rear ended by an early 90's Dodge and slammed into the rear of a work truck with a big metal bumper. Air bags deployed and I suffered chest bruising and a hairline fracture in the sternum. I was sore for a few days, but mostly angry that my car was not repairable. However, from the impact of the hit, all things considered, I would not want to be without air bags and hope that the newer model will not deploy with quite as much force...it felt like Roger Clemons (insert favorite MLB pitcher's name here) had hurled a fast one into my chest. However, I will most likely buy another one, but finding it has been the biggest challenge so far. Good luck, wagon seekers.
  • lukejjlukejj Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Ford Taurus wagon, 3.0. After starting engine, and leaving it out of gear, the engine starts to hunt for a stable idle. It will go from approx 1000 rpm down to 550 rpm at around 3-4 second intervals, and continue at a constant pace. Continually up and down. Did a intake manifold cleaning, helped a little for a short time, but its hunting again. It seems it does better in humid weather, and also when the coolant fan is running. Its got 120k on it, but in good condition from the fact of the eratic engine control. Does anyone have a clue what would be doing that? Any sensor in particular? Maybe something in the vaccume system. Any help, or pointed in the right direction would be gratifing.

Joe
  • burton1burton1 Posts: 3
    Other than these problems,am happy with my '93, V6 3.8 Sable. Bought it used in '94 with about 26,000 miles. Has 108,385 miles now. Put on the last 8000 in the last 4 years. It's been my second car and generally use it now for small and very small trips. Until this year it had always started great. Then, 4 different times on cold starts it cranked and cranked (good battery) and wouldn't start. The first 3 times it then started up OK after about a half hour wait. (After the second time, had a tune-up: plugs, wires, distributor, etc. Didn't seem to matter.) This last time it didn't start over 2 days of sporadic trying. A friend suggested pouring some gasoline into air cleaner after removing air filter. It worked great, but am leery. Want a dependable start every time without that. What's the problem and fix?
    Secondly, I get about 17 or 18 miles to the gallon. I don't remember, but I think I used to get more. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Burton
  • lmlimolmlimo Posts: 1
    Yes iannn, we are having the identical problem with our 1996 Taurus GL. Initially, the car is fine, but after about 10 minutes, the car shows all the same symptoms, except that the wipers also quit. However, the external lights all appear to work ok so theoretically the car is drivable, sans power steering, radio, power windows, and wipers. A friend of mine thinks it may be the ignition switch (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?mfrpartnumber=IG20511#), but I'm not so sure. At $22.99, I may install a new one to see if that fixes the problem. Any info regarding the solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated, as the problem must lie in one replaceable component. Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • jemjrjemjr Posts: 1
    My car overheated and the thermostat was changed. now that the thermostat is changed i am not getting any heat from the climate control system. the coolant is at the required level and the temperature guage is about 3/4 ways up the guage. Any suggestions on what the problem may be or how to correct it?
  • norsknorsk Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Taurus SE wagon with 60,000 miles.
    The brakes pulsates pretty bad when braking form the higher speeds.
    Has anyone else found this problem?
    Thanks
    Sid :confuse:
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    You've got warped brake rotors. At this mileage, if you haven't had a brake job at all, you probably need one, and the rotors at the least need to be machined or if they are in really bad shape, replaced.
  • lusedlused Posts: 1
    I have the identical problems with my 97 Taurus wagon. Did replacing the ignition switch remedy the problem?

thanks,
  • kellyhkckellyhkc Posts: 1
    My 97 Taurus did the same thing. A few days ago I noticed the audio stopping after about 10 miles, yesterday after about the same distance my power steering, power windows and audio went out. Didnt try the wipers... Posting a solution would be a big help!!

Thanks
  • Bought this Taurus from an original owner for 4K as a second car and now the wagon is at 133,000. The problem sounds like the typical transmission problem.

No problem on the freeway but when I get off the freeway and going down the ramp...the car just shuts off....it doesn't happen often...maybe every other day. Before it shuts down, it sounds like my gears are shifting and then it shuts down. I would like to give the car to a friend of mine who badly needs a car but I would like to fix it first. Does this sound like a transmission problem? Does anybody out there have a good experience after installing a rebuilt trans?

I've good luck so far...but I would hate to give the car to a friend even with a rebuilt transmission and the car still sucks. What is the cost of a rebuilt trans?
  • bronco2ubronco2u Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Mercury Sable (3.0 V-6) that apparently over heated last week. I was driving when it suddenly shut off. The temperature gauge was in the normal range, but I found a small leak in the radiator overflow tank. I was almost out of antifreeze. I finally got the car cooled down and filled up so I could drive home. I managed to patch the hole temporarily so I could get to AutoZone in order to have them check the computer (service engine soon light was on). The computer said one of the cylinders was missing. I gave it a tune up. Now the car won't start unless I hold the gas pedal down. When it does start it idles rough and white smoke billows out of the exhaust pipe. As soon as I put it in reverse it dies. Is this a head gasket problem and if so how much can I expect to spend to have it repaired? I seem to remember a recall on these a few years ago. Does that apply to this situation?
  • nick_mnick_m Posts: 1
    Replaced motor 1 year ago, now driver side window switch won't work. any suggestions? window is down... can't get it up! help, it is raining!
  • harvey26harvey26 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was just reading your old e mail. It's interesting to me. Can you believe how bad Ford is doing? You were ahead of your time...almost 2 years to the date. I should have read it sooner. I own a Mercury Sable, and have lost a fortune on it. It's in the shop right now $1,400.00 tune up...for a piece of crap
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Posts: 44
    I need to replace my rear brake light on my 98 Taurus wagon. After I remove the two screws that show under the rear gate when up, it still won't come out. Do I wiggle it out, or is there a hidden fastener somewhere?
    Don't want to break the lens and have to buy a new one!
    Thanks,

Djohnson1
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Posts: 44
    Consumer Reports is great for reliability stats on cars. I have had four Ford Taurus/Mer Sables, and all have been great! Best buy is used. Very reliable, drive great, good on gas -- what's not to like?
    But reading these forums is a little bit like what I heard from a cancer doctor -- all they see is cancer problems all day, so it seems more prevalent than it really is. Same for these forums where people post their gripes!
    Best regards,
    Djohnson1.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    Antifreeze out the tail pipe is never good. You have a dead cylinder. Head gasket or cracked head. I have not heard of recalls relating to coolant problems in 3.0 engines. The older 3.8 engines had a problem with head gaskets.
    Check and identify which cylinder it is and try for a cheap fix...then trade ASAP.
    Or...fix it right with a longblock....not too much middle ground here.
  • jims30jims30 Posts: 1
    Same exact problem for years now but with a 2000 Sable. Had motor replaced as well but this didn't solve the problem. Resorted to toe-kicking (i.e. with my shoe) the fuse panel in frustration and this worked for a while. I now have a stuck window too. Hopefully we'll find a resolution.
  • watson5watson5 Posts: 2
    I have a 89 mercury cougar that was similar. Its not quite the same engine, but similar to the 90 sable I have in that it is a 3.8L V6. In my cougar, it was no turn signals or wipers, no heat/ac or stereo, but the higher block on the console with the power antenna and defroster worked. Normal lights worked too. I found out why, ignition switch, and apparently its the same switch for nearly every Ford/Mercury out there. Can be a pain in the butt to change though, since one of the two bolts holding it to the steering column is inside the dash, and both of the bolts on mine were the tamper-proof ones (little pin in the middle so you can't use a normal hex set).
  • brick1brick1 Posts: 1
    Imlimo or iannn did you ever fined the problem? i have the identical problem to a tee, 96 taurus GL. I changed ignition switch and accessary delay relay still is the same. Help please anyone.
This discussion has been closed.