Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• vjensenvjensen Posts: 1
    We own two Taurus one an 89 wagon with 200,000 miles and a 94 Sedan with 180,000. Both had head gaskets recently blown. My husband put some $60.00 gunk in to stop the head gasket problem. Worked well with his car but not so well with mine. That led us to look around for new cars. What did we settle on 2001 Ford Taurus Wagon. Hoping that the head gaskets will not be problem until the miles are as high as the other two we have. Can anyone give us information on these models?
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    What engine did the head gaskets blow on? Was it the 3.8? I have a 3.0 Vulcan and don't don't read about head gasket problems on those engines. Then again you certainly got your monies worth out of your Fords!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out our Maintenance & Repair discussion Taurus' repair and maintenance for more information about your Ford Taurus. Good luck. ;-)

Please feel free to return to this discussion if you have any other questions, or just to share your Ford Taurus ownership experience with us.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I posted back in Sept in response to the Edmunds review on this car, which is pretty accurate, not to mention entertaining. After having had my Sable wagon a few more months, here's my two cents.

Two things Ford/Mercury need to consider for future models of the wagon, both related to the back seat:

1. The back seat needs headrests - 1, for safety, 2, for comfort of adult passengers. Or did they assume only little kids would ride in the back seat???? (An extra bonus, some curvature to the seat would be nice too, but I'd settle for headrests.)

2. The downward curve of the back doors/windows make it very difficult for getting in and out of seat without bonking one's head! It looks cool, but is not functional. I have to stoop so far over when getting my son out of his car seat, and my poor 6' 2" dad bonked his head getting out just yesterday.

Otherwise, I really like the wagon. Great on road trips to the desert, smooth sailing all the way. Oh and as to mileage concerns mentioned earlier, yeah it's not great. I get about 200/mi per tank in city driving, but hey, it's a V6, so waddya want???
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    The lack of head rests in the Merc Sable is a true
    glaring mistake by Ford. Entering and getting out
    of the rear seats is somewhat of a chore.
    Leg room could be bigger for rear passengers too.
    Overall, Sable wagon is a fine car. As far as
    reliability goes, I don't trust FoMoCo at all; the
    manufacturer, its dealers, etc. I bought it because
    it was a good financial deal.

I get 18.6 MPG mostly city in a lot of stop and
    go traffic.
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    My stop lamps came on and wouldn't go off and the cruise control went out. I've also had intermittant gas smell on start up during warm weather. Fortunately, all were fixed by the dealer under warenty. There is a recall on the brake switch causing my stop lamp and cruise control problem. The intermittant gas smell problem is also documented by Ford. Its the gaskets for the intake manifold that need to be replaced and sealed.

Otherwise, it's been a good car so far. Smooth, quiet, decent gas milage. 2000 Sable LS Premium wagon with 12500 miles.
  • beth234beth234 Posts: 2
    Hi - just a quick note on these two topics. Mike 5806 post #41 mentioned about comfort of seats in Taurus/Sable. I had same problem getting comfortable in a Taurus with bucket seats (leather I think) but my 1995 Sable S/W has the bench seat and it's very comfortable in velour. I also agree with #45 nelsoncm and #46 danielj6 about needing headrests on the back seats! It would help with safety and also, some adults do occasionally sit back there! Volvo, Saab, Audi et al has Ford beat here.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    I don't seem to have a problem with comfort in my
    Sable s.w. with leather.

I,however,don't believe that 3 rear adult passengers would find that seat comfortable in a
    long trip. I had 4 teenagers seating in the back for a 5 mile trip (didn't use the rear facing seat out of sheer laziness to get out and pull it up). These tall bulky young guys were OK or so they said at 3 am Sunday. On the other hand, I
    didn't even consider seating one boy in the middle front.
  • I am having a really hard time finding a 2nd car for our family. Growing up, my family owned Fords (Crown Vic and LTD Wagons) and I don't remember then being too bad. But I will also never forget the first time I drove a Mercedes and how the handling (amongst other things) put the Ford products to great shame (of course--its a Mercedes).
    But recently, I have found a lot of cars out there now that handle very similiarly to the Mercedes--including Audi, VW and Volvo (somewhat). I haven't done it yet but am wondering if anyone has test driven one of these european cars and then a Ford/Mercury wagon...and how you felt the Taurus/Sable handle in comparison.

It looks like the Sable premium wagon is a good deal but now that I'm spoiled with a great handling car, I really hesitate giving that up for a good price.

Thanks.
  • sue47sue47 Posts: 1
    We are considering buying a 93 taurus GL wagon as a second car. It will mostly be a "grocery getter" for me and the kids, ( three little ones, still in car seats). Is this a good idea? Also, can you get the third seat if its missing? The car in question has 108,000 miles but drives well and straight. A mechanis said it needs some AC work but otherwise looks ok. Any input would be appreciated.
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    First thing, have it checked out mechanically. Are any service records available. Was the oil changed regularly?

Second thing, if it is a 3.8 liter I'd proceed with caution. There is a ton of information on head gaskets on these boards. In addition I know of at least three people who've had head gaskets replaced on that engine. Not sure if the year of manufacture for the 3.8 makes a difference?
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    As with the head gasket problems, transmission failure is something which commonly "kills" the pre-'97 Taurus/Sable. If you do buy such a car, I'd suggest getting the transmission fluid/filter changed (it's probably due anyways) and have the rubber hose that's on it replaced while you're at it.

It was this hose leaking at the clamp (worn through) which resulted in my '87 Taurus Sedan dying, and it did visibly look bad until it failed.
  • Sue47 - Proceed with caution if considering the '93 Taurus Wagon. Do not buy it if it has the 3.8 engine!! I currently have a "dead" one sitting in my driveway. I have had nothing but trouble with my 3.8 engine and it only has 97,000 miles on it. The head gaskets went on mine so I am considering donating it because its not worth the repair cost (approx $1,200). But, I have to say I loved driving it. It was very spacious, was great for transporting anything, had great pickup and saved my life in 2 accidents. Despite the problems with my '93, I decided to buy a 2001 (best value in its class) hoping that I will have better luck with this one. For those of you who say Ford should put head rests in the rear seats, I could not disagree more. The new headrests are too tall. I am 5 feet tall and have trouble seeing over the front passenger head rest to check my blind spot. It is such a hinderance that I removed it. Also, I cannot move the sun visor to the driver's side window because it hits the driver's head rest. Very poor design by Ford. They should have stayed with the older design. I didn't have this problem in my '93.
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Anyone else have a problem with their key not returning fully to the "run" position after starting?

2000 LS Premium Sable Wagon

Pete
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    How can your visor touch the front seat headrest????? I don't get it. Well, as to rear seat headrests, the solution is simple -- removeable headrests, like VW and others. It's blatant disregard for passenger safety on the part of any manufacturer who wouldn't put them in today.
    You may also want to post (copy/paste) your question on our Maintenance & Repair Board: Taurus' repair and maintenance. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

this is the same discussion as "Sable/Taurus Wagons." I've edited the title to also include the manufacturer name.

In case you're wondering: having the manufacturer name in the discussion title works better with Edmunds' search features. So you may notice a few subtle changes around this message board with the discussion titles.

And now back to the discussion of Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus wagons. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • mike5806mike5806 Posts: 12
    just bought new 2000 taurus wagon. sticker $24,325
    paid $20,399 +taxes. license etc.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Posts: 154
    I just purchased a used 2000 Taurus wagon, SE model, loaded, leather, mags, ABS, etc (all but the Duratec, which, my research found, is not in many wagons) with 20,000 miles on it for $16,500. This is the second Taurus that I purchased from the Ramp Motors (Ford) dealer in Port Jefferson, LI, NY. Each was part of their long-term rental fleet. Not a mark on either car, and someone else ate the substantial depreciation.

I also purchased (for the first time) an extended warranty, the Ford ESP plan. Cost was $800 for 6 yrs/75k miles. I normally pass these plans up because I feel that they are usually way overpriced, but I thought that this was a decent deal, and Ramp service is good and pleasant to deal with.
  • mike5806mike5806 Posts: 12
    I take it that the ESP is for 75K total vehicle miles and not 75K on top of the normal 36K warranty. is there a deductible? my wagon has the Duratec engine and it will be interesting to see what kind of performance and mpg that I get. I drive 30k/year so it won't take to long to find out. I looked for a used wagon(chicagoland), but there were only a few to choose from.
This discussion has been closed.