Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• gsarchetgsarchet Posts: 8
    I trusted Ford when I bought, new, a 95 Taurus GL wagon with the infamous 3.8 liter engine. We took impeccable care of the care and it served us perfectly until 62,000 miles when the head gasket blew. I had to jump through hoops to get Ford to honor their recall, and avoid the service dept's ruse of other unwarrantied repairs that they made up (verified by my private mechanic). All that aside, it never ran correctly after getting it back from the head gasket repair: AC was broken, cruise control was broken, it accelerated irratically and dangerously (I spent several hundred dollars unsuccessfully trying to repair it), and a mysterious and very ominous clunk when beginning acceration: transmission? It ran wonderfully prior to the gasket repair.

I am now a happy non-Ford owner, having given them one more chance by test driving a,...ahem..Focus...before confidently purchasing a 01 Toyota Echo, as a second car to accompany our wonderful 01 Honda Odyssey. I have positive previous experiences owning vehicles from both of these manufacturers.
  • jchvsjchvs Posts: 3
    Hi,

So my wife and I are down to deciding between a '97 Subaru O/B with 92000 miles for $12,900(private sale) and a '99 Taurus Wagon with 29000 miles for 10,900(dealer). We found one of each that we could like. The one thing with the O/B is the current owner had problems with the head gasket that he had fixed. I think we could get him to lower his price some, but I'm not sure about the head gasket. Can someone give me some advice? We plan on getting the car checked out at the mechanic before we make an offer.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Posts: 154
    I don't really think that they are comparable cars. The Taurus is larger and can seat 8 in a pinch (most likely, if the one you are looking at has the split bench up front and the 3rd seat in the way back). I am six-three and fit very well in my 00 wagon. I do not fit behind the wheel of the OB without rubbing my head against the ceiling and having the wheel between my knees.
  • calisoncalison Posts: 1
    We are looking in to buying a 2001 Sable LS wagon. Bluesing found one for $21,500. The lowest price I have found is from Carsdirect for $22,220 after the $1500 rebate being offered right now. Does anyone have any advice on getting the best possible price on this new car?
  • livy1livy1 Posts: 5
    I am currently looking to replace my durango with either a station wagon or minivan. My question is this: is there enough room in the back of the taurus/sable wagon for two booster seats and a regular car seat? Currently there are no wagons for me to look at at the dealer. How practical would it be to squeeze all three next to each other? I like the idea of extra room behind the back seat for protection, yet a minivan would maybe be easier to get in and out of. Is there anyone out there who has three small children and uses the wagon for their main family car? Any insight would be appreciated.
    I have 3 kids, and have had Taurus wagons since 1993. We had 2 car seats in it at a time (my kids are 2 years apart, and we always had one out of a car seat) and we all fit fine. I do believe that a third seat would fit. We used the Fisher-Price seats that had a t-bar that clicked in over the kid's head, rather that a bar that was hinged from one side. I think that hinged seats are going to give you fit problems in any vehicle that you might choose.

We had a 92 Taurus wagon for 8 years and 150,000 trouble-free miles (normal maintanence -- no breakdowns) and we now have a 2000 Taurus wagon. They were/are daily drivers, and I think that they are the best family vehicle value in the market. We travel alot, and the five of us and all of our stuff fit very well.

Good luck in your search.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Posts: 61
    I too have three kids, and like the previous post have had two car seats in at all times, no problem at all. My 2000 LS wagon has 40k miles on it and I have had no problems at all. I have been averaging 21(city) 26(hwgy)mpg. Good luck, here in the Northeast they are still running .9% financing too.
  • mykem1mykem1 Posts: 29
    I own a 2000 Sable GS wagon and it has 3 seat tethers! We have a third on the way, and two boosters with a rear - facing infant seat fit just fine! Remember that the sable is currently the ONLY wagon on the market with the pop-up in the back (like when we were kids). So you get the same kid hauling your Durango had with it's 3rd seat. I have 12,000 trouble free miles on my Vulcan V6 Sable, and it gets 28MPG highway. It also is the safest in it's class.

Mind you, I am leary of Fords, but so far this one is working out nicely.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    It's unbelievable that Ford, after building wagons
    with so many safety features, would forget or
    neglect to install headrests on rear seats. This
    is a glaring error.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,426
    a '97 outback for $12.9k??? If money's an issue, get the lightly but reasonably equipped legacy wagon NEW for $19k or so -- sticker is $20k.
    The '02 model year is upon us, and a '97 is a 5-year-old car. if you can buy 5 years of new car for six thousand bucks, I think you should do it. Even if you buy a loaded outback, you'll still be better off.
    The idea that used cars are automatically cheaper does not apply to Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and some others. A Taurus, now used makes a lot of sense. Cars today have become very reliable. But stuff still wears out and costs big$$ to fix.
    -Mathias
    East Lansing, mI
  • livy1livy1 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input. Don't know when we'll change vehicles, but it's good to hear other's opinions.
  • AMERICA:
    Love her or leave her!!!
    Good bless the U.S.!!!
    I am happy to be living in New York City
    and glad to own an American car.
  • My Mercury Sable station wagon is proudly showing an American Flag. People do not forget wherever you are in America to display the Flag!

For those who died, for those who search, for those who fight, we shall overcome the viscious attack that so many of us witnessed Tuesday, Sep 11.
  • 58vw58vw Posts: 12
    Considering buying Taurus/Sable wagon, noted the concerns about maintenance with interest. Consumers Reports finds the 98 and later to be reliable, including transmissions. Experience?
    I had a 92 Taurus wagon for 140k miles, and now own a 98 T sedan (40k) and a 2000 T wagon (29k). All have been trouble free. I use synthetic oil, change it every 6k, replace the trans fluid every 30k, and rotate the tires. These cars have been very reliable, they are comfortable, and they were well built. I would recommend the Taurus.
    I have a Sable wagon with 41k miles on it. No problems at all. I change my oil using Mobil 1 (synthetic), rotate my tires every 5k and change trans. fluid every 25k... as I said before no problems at all.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    I've gotten my station wagon 18 months ago and so
    far knock on wood, no problems. When I park it
    lurches forward a bit after I shut off the engine.

Other than that I have very good pickup, passing
    power, and room inside. Gas mileage is 20 MPG
    city/highway.

I forgot to add that the steering wheel vibrates a bit whenever
    I come to a stop. Don't know if this is a problem though.
    If the shaking is side to side when the brakes are applied it is usually a sign that the front brake rotors have warped a bit. It's not dangerous, just annoying. I had mined machined at 35k, and it solved everything.
  • Hey Guys!I have Taurus'99
    When I push my brake pedal on 55-65 miles/per hour,I feel some pulsation on my brake pedal.
    My car still have 22k miles.Are my rotors already
    not good?I still have some 36K bumper-to-bumper
    warranty.Will the dealer replace my rotors under warranty coverage or not?
    Does somebody else have same problem?
  • You can try and have your dealer get them fixed under warranty, but in most cases you will have to pay the tab. Mileage really does not matter with these rotors, one or two hard stops, or slowing quickly for an off ramp can cause them to have problems.

Good Luck
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You may also want to check with Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are any TSB's (technical service bulletins) on your 99 Ford Taurus... regarding the brakes. Hope this is helpful. Please keep us posted.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Improperly tightened wheel lug nuts can cause warped rotors. Most places just use air guns, which aren't too accurate. To be sure to get proper torque settings, you need to find someone who'll tighten them by hand using a torque wrench. Mfg's are making rotors lighter these days to save unsprung weight, and an unfortunate byproduct of savings for Mfg. is that customers pay down the road.
  • HELP HELP HELP!!! I have a nice 1990 Taurus LX, with the optional instaclear heated windshield, however there is one problem, my windshield has a crack in it now, and Ford says been out of production for 7 years, replace it with a regular taurus windshield. I have also been to many many many junkyards in the area, to no avail, only have seen one of these windshields, and it was smashed to bits. I was also told this incorrect information by someone at a salvage yard, that this windshield was recalled due to fire hazard. However I checked with the Ford customer care center at 1800241ford and they say exactly what 2 dealers told me, to have the windshield wires for the instaclear unhooked, and get a regular windshiled installed. My delemma is this, when this thing was working it was great!! I dont want to loose an option I paid good money for. My taurus has been very good, and have only had to replace tranny one time. Just turned over 100k. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A USED INSTACLEAR WINDSHIELD FOR A TAURUS SEDAN??? HELP HELP HELP!!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    I'd like to suggest that you also post (copy/paste) your message in this Maintenance & Repair discussion: Taurus' repair and maintenance. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Looking for advice/opinions/reviews of the Vulcan engine vs. the Duratec. Want to buy an '02 wagon, but don't know whether to spend the extra dough for the Duratec. Had a Vulcan in an '89 sedan and it was a fine motor. Anybody?
    I have 2 Tauruii, one with each motor. My 00 wagon has the Vulcan. It is perfectly adequate, fast enough, comfortable, and the motor has enough get up and go to move the metal around with a full load (including canoes on the roof) and the AC on without any problem.

If you want balls, though, get the Duratec. My 98 sedan has it, and the acceleration is great. I burn thru more gas with that one because it is fun to put my foot down.

There you have it.
    You also asked about maintanence issues. Both cars have over 30k miles on them. They do not burn any oil (I use Mobil 1 and change it every 6k). The cars were screwed together nice and tight, so nothing squeaks or rattles (that stuff drives me nuts). I had a 92 Vulcan wagon that I retired at 150k, and it ran fine without any major overhauls.

I think the Taurus is a very good car. Since it is a big fleet car, there are many one-year-old ones on the market, and, like me, you can pick one up with under 15k on it for about $6000 or so less than new. It really does not make sense to buy a new one.
  • THat's the kind of info. I'm looking for. I'm not looking to drag race the wagon (I've got an old Vette for that), but want something to haul 3 kids and all our stuff to the cottage, etc. I do spend a lot of time on the highway, but as long as merging and passing power on a 2-lane is adequate, that's all I need. And up here, the Duratec is a $1,500 option (plus 15% tax). I thought of buying 1 year old (Hewlett Packard dumps a lot of Tauri up here) but the '02 has the 5 year warranty, free power moon roof, and 0% financing now. And I can get about $2,000 off the list price of $28,700 for an SEL. Always been suspicious of fleet/rental cars too.
    27 grand for a Taurus wagon!! I purchased my 00 wagon in March 01. SE wagon, loaded, leather, but no moonroof (which I would not want because it cuts out too much headroom -- I am 6'3"). 15k on the odo. Paid $16,000 for it, and did not even negotiate hard. Came with balance of 3 yr/36k warranty, and, after I bought it, Ford started advertising Blue Oval Certified cars, which come with 6 yr/75 k warranties (with a deductible). I asked the dealer about it, and they added my car to the plan.
    I cannot see how buying a new one makes any sense (of course, if people did not buy them new and turn 'em in, there would be nothing for me out there!). I always pay cash, and $11k plus tax buys alot of repairs down the road. Or, one could also look at a new one as having a full, no-deductible extended warranty -- for a premium of $11,000.
  • I am considering a used ('98 or newer) Taurus/Sable Wagon to replace my '91 Lumina with 150k. I have to small children (ages 1& 3) who are usually hauled around in my wife's minivan. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the backdoor with its sloping window/roofline makes it very difficult to get young children out of their car seats. Also, I do not enjoy rattles and squeaks in the car as the years pass. Can anyone tell me how tightly screwed together are these wagons once a few years are under their belts?
This discussion has been closed.