Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes E-Class Wagons (E320, E500, E55 AMG)

Comments

• 3star3star Posts: 3
    According to the specs on Edmunds, the total cargo room with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded has also decreased from 83 cu-ft to 69 cu-ft.
    Length, width and wheelbase of the car has increased slightly. You pose a good question...Where did the space go?
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    That really sucks. One of the great appeals of the E320 Wagon has been its amazing amount of rear cargo space. A full 10 cubic feet more than competitors from Audi and BMW.
  • I just bought a pre-owned 02 E320 Wagon. I really like it. I agree with the earlier posts about the cargo/3rd seat space lost on the 04's. Mine was parked next to an 04 on the dealer lot. It looks like MB shaved off the rear end and hatch to make it look sleeker. Most people will only notice the loss when trying to put large square or rectangular objects in the cargo area.

I' am sure they looked at the typical profile of the 1st time buyers and saw fewer folks in the age bracket with small children. I am not sure what profiles they keep on the pre-owned or second hand units. I don't doubt that in the not too distant future the 3rd seat will all but disappear.
  • khicekhice Posts: 13
    I bought my first MB when I was lucky enough to come across a Starmarked 99 E320 wagon this year in near mint condition. I love the classic look with the flat doors, round headlights & sculpted hood, though the staid interior took some getting used to. The car is an absolute joy to drive. If I win the lottery I'll ship it back to Germany and get it completely reconditioned in a Designo edition.
    So when the new wagons arrived at the dealer my 12 year old daughter and I had to have a look. She climbed into the 3rd row seat as I checked out the view from the cockpit. "Dad, they messed up! This car is smaller than ours. We can't get it!" In addition to the new sloped roof, I think the spare is in the floor which of course raises the rear seat and reduces the headroom.
    There are plenty of small wagons out there, including MB's own C. What were MB thinking?
    There are several families in our neck of the woods who are 1st time MB owners because the E's were the only large luxury wagons available. There are plenty of us who are just too snobby to be caught dead in a minivan and SUV's just aren't politically correct! Restore the cargo space!
  • It seems that people are realizing our friends at Mercedes Benz have blundered again. According to a well placed source, over 70% of people who owned 2003 and earlier wagons have cancelled their orders for '04 Wagons. It seems the downsized rear cargo space and ridicuosly small (and unusable) third row of seats have taken their toll. If you are listening Mercedes, bring back the SPACIOUS wagon with a usable third row!
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the C-Class wagon now have more cargo space than the E-Class wagon?

That ain't right.
  • If you have not received the letter yet you probably will. They are recalling the '04 E-Class because the 2nd row seat belts release in a car crash. We just got our 04 E-320 wagon in sept and love it but we regret that we did not get the trunk closer and four-zone climate. But the Push button start is great! I forget the key looks like it never leaves my purse. The dealer will pick up my car for me later this week to fix the seat belts. So that i can continue to love this new car. And FOR ALL YOU HATERS the trunk space is not that bad how often do you use EVERY cubic square foot. I think it is much roomier in the front than my 01 E-class wagon.
  • In earlier posts there were complaints about AM radio reception. My 1998 wagon has the same lousy reception. The FM, tape and CD are great. Has anyone found out what's the problem here? Is it common? Is there an inexpensive solution?
  • pb17pb17 Posts: 33
    Local radio shop installs a small whip antenna on the rear of the roof. Cost over $400. Don't know if this works. Tinting affects reception, especially metallic. Open to all ideas for my 99 wagon.
  • rjtrjt Posts: 2
    ready to purchase an E wagon. was told that wagon with AWD needs the extra power of E500 engine rather than 6 cyl of the E320. wouldn't mind putting the extra money into options instead but don't want to be disappointed later if engine is not powerful enough. any thoughts?
  • audibobaudibob Posts: 33
    What are you guys thinking???? Unless you absolutely need the third row, the best vehicles for Merc customers is the Audi A4/A6 Avants. The absolute best interior on the market for entry level Luxury customers. Extremely well equipped under $40K. Quattro, the best all wheel drive system around. 4yr/50K mile warranty with ALL MAINTENANCE covered and AAA roadside. Unbelievable transmissions and engines. If you drive one of these there is no going back....
    Well, AudiBob, maybe we DON'T want entry level luxury. I WANT the fit & finish and roomy but comfy interior of my Benz.
    Audi has no wagon to compare to a fully decked out E500. Too bad we can't get the E55 Wagon in the States. If you can find a copy there's a great review of it in a British pub "Mercedes Enthusiast".
    For used car buyers, the Audi warranty is not as comprehensive as Starmark for which there is also no co-pay.
    By the way, the e-mail address in your profile leads one to believe you are employed by an Audi dealership. Your bias is showing!
  • audibobaudibob Posts: 33
    Shame Shame Shame.
    By the end of the year Audi will have the A7 (Both the Porsche and VW SUV's are based on this vehicle) available in the US. 493hp at the base cost of $65k. Any intelligent person knows that Audi owns the crown for best interior designs (including fit and finish.) Premium markets in Europe are decidedly controlled by the Audi product. By the way, the A7 will also have the truly inspiring MMI system for component control and 8 passenger seating without compromising the cargo space. :)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    We consider all of our members to be intelligent, simply with differing opinions. You are free to state your opinion. You are not free to insult other members. Thank you.
    AudiBob, Are you aware that your post # 158 was in reply to a request for advice posted on April 30, 2000? In fact, it's the very first message in the MB E320/500 Wagon forum. I'm certain Devian has made his mind up long ago. Are you trolling ALL the wagon forums at Edmunds just to sell cars? I noticed that the text of your message #128 was posted word for word on several other Wagon forums. I think most of the members at Edmunds are interested in sharing their genuine opinions or looking for advice. If we want blatant marketing blurbs we can visit the maker's web sites.
  • am just trading a 2001 for 2004 E500...not sure the extra price is warranted but the driving experience is superior..THe new car has all those extra bells and whistles,but cargo is down some..I`m not so happy with thw continental tires and may ask they be changed..AS for the 2001..it`s been a stellar performer and ultra safe to drive..If any one can give me some info on another all season tire I`d appreciate it
  • dick s.dick s. Posts: 4
    I did my tire research before picking up my E-500 wagon; "no one" liked the Continentals. I then researched on Tirerack.com and had the tires delivered to the dealer prior to pick-up; received a credit for "used" Continentals, but so far am pleased with the Pirelli P-Zero Neros. Look for yourself; rated better than Michelins
  • valynnvalynn Posts: 1
    Hi, I am hoping that someone here might be familiar with this problem and it's not just me.
    The tailgate on my E320 wagon does not consistently close when using the automatic button. It will come down halfway then go back up. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. There is nothing in the way to prevent it from closing. The real problem is, it will always close for the dealership. I have returned it to the service dept twice and twice it seems to work for them. They've checked the software and "normalized" the thing (whatever that means) and still I have an issue with it. They will not take it apart and check for glitches as long as it works for them. Anyone have this problem? Any solutions?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of the car if it isn't straightened out soon. My sanity depends on it! Thanks.
  • calchcalch Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good wagon that can accomodate three car seats in the second row. Therefore, I had three questions for the new E-class wagon owners.
    1) Is the LATCH system designed for 3 seats?
    2) Has oneone actually put three kid-seats in the back?
    3) Does the wagon have as many problems as the E sedan or C-class (We have C- class that is making us hesitate to buy another MB)

Thanks for the help.
  • dixonmdixonm Posts: 1
    Hello calch,

I'm curious as to whether you know of any other vehicles (other than the E-Class, potentially) that are supposed to accomodate three child seats in the second row?

Matt