Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Forte vs Honda Civic

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Your comparison between the sheep (Dolly) and the car (Kia Koup) while strange and amusing is flawed. Dolly, while dying @ age 6 years was not riddled with "terminal illnesses" but instead died from a form of lung cancer not uncommon in sheep (indeed several from the same flock from which the sheep from whom she was cloned also died from the same disease) especially those who lived indoors. Anyhow, I have read that while the Kia has manual transmission problems it is, I believe, related to smooth clutch take-up ( due to a touchy throttle) and ones inability to drive off smoothly from a complete stop more than actual shifting problems. Honda on the other hand has had synchro problems that requires transmission removal and disassembly to correct. So, which is better either a jerky or a tire chirping start or down-time for mechanical repair and possibly not having the problem corrected permanently,(?) something I also believe I have read on these sites.
  • I'm looking for a comfortable car that will last me 10 years, that will be safe and fun to drive, and that I can haggle to under $16000. I test drove several cars recently (Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte), and the Forte, with its standard ABS brakes, stability control, and Bluetooth, blew all the other cars out of the water... except for its suspension. All the cars up to the Forte had suspensions that could drive over a large, deep pothole (which I did on the test drives) as if it were a small, smooth, bump in the road. When I drove over the same potholes in the Forte, it actually gave the car a sizable jolt. Understand that this is the "sports tuning," but I'm not planning on racing this car and would rather have the smoother ride.

Is there another car on the market that offers the same safety features as the Forte but has a more forgiving suspension, while still being under 20K? If it's available as a five door hatchback, that would be even better.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    edited February 2010
    Did you mention this problem to the salesman when you got back from your test drive? Seeing you liked everything else except that specific problem I would be inclined to go back and test drive another but get them to make sure the tire pressure is at the correct level. They are shipped with over 40 lbs pressure and sometimes this gets overlooked, not saying that is the problem but it could be. I haven't driven a Forte so can't comment on that aspect. (I own a Rondo)

There is a 5-door Forte coming out this summer.
  • chronochrono Posts: 149
    I test drove one a couple months back and don't remember the harshness you encountered. Do you remember if it had the premium package with aluminum wheels? Those are 16's with slightly thinner side walls. If that was the case test drive an EX without the premium package that comes with 15 inchers. Those have slightly thicker sidewalls which would give you a little more cush and make sure like the previous poster said, check the tire pressure. Should be closer to 30lbs or so. I bet that setup rides just fine.

If your willing to wait the Elantra will be out later this year. Same features but more tuned for comfort ..
  • jungswonjungswon Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    well the honda civic is said to be a revolutionary car for its class, futuristic in a way that doesn't make it look like some car from a cartoon and also won the best re-designed car in 2006 for Kelley Blue book so Honda did do something right. I also have to say the person who designed the new lines for kia(forte sedan/koup, sorento, soul) is also the same guy that worked for audi that designed the TT and the A2 Peter Schreyer. You should look into the Kia k7, its only out in South Korea as now, but hopefully to come to the states :)
  • jungswonjungswon Posts: 2
    I just recently test drove a forte ex and lx sedan and have to say as much as i like the car, the car does have a bit of road noise. Drove a civic sedan as well and the road noise is about the same if not worse, but the civic does have a smoother feel to the drive. Don't get me wrong, im not saying the forte has a rough ride but you find yourself feeling the bumps alot worse then the Civic. Regardless i would still choose a Forte over a civic though considering the baseline of a civic is about 16k with very little options and further fancy options that costs way to much compared to the Kia. The Kia's baseline price is 13-14k and goes as high as 23k...for a sedan ex/lx model, but the car is nice, good design, nice handling, decent interior and good price, if looking for a cheap car, a Forte is a good choice :)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    Dude, time to try American made...you'll be happier in the long run

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• It's a no-brainer here! The Kia Forte EX by far! Do the math and drive each one...that'll do it :-) I LOVE my Forte EX!!! It ROCKS in ALL ways! :D

">
  • At the end of the day, who is going to pay $20k + for a slow, chinced-out version of an Si that can be had for about $1K more?

that is misleading as there is $4,000 difference between a SX manual Koupe and the Honda Si base model, whether you live in the US or Canada.

I would like to add to this by stating that I think the Forte SX is going after a slightly different crowd. The Civic SI and Mazdaspeed 3 are several thousand more and come only in manuals. The cars are more hard core and are faster. But the SX fit the bill for me perfectly. Automatic so my wife could drive it, yet sporty enough to have fun in it. And only $1000 more than the "normal" EX model.

Since this is a forte vs civic string, I test drove both the Civic and Mazda 3 before settling on the Forte SX. I will admit the the interior of the Civic was nicer in my opinion, though not soft touch the dash did look and feel high quality. However, having said that I still think the Forte interior does itself justice and is miles ahead of the domestics (at least in EX and SX trim). For the same money the Forte just came with so many standard features including the blue tooth, sirius radio, more interior room, USB and aux jacks, and 17 inch rims all standard on the SX. In the end it was these things that won me out over the slightly nicer interior of the civic.

19K for a Civic LX or 19K for a Forte SX?
  • Forte SX > Civic LX.
    There's just too many people out there that haggle others about buying a Honda over Kia or any other car company. Not only do you get a really well built car (inside and out) but you also get your money's worth when it comes to gas and safety. The Forte has a koup has a 24/38mpg ratio, and the ability to go into "ECO" mode (helps attain the best mileage possible). The car also has a 5star reputation on airbags, and safety. For example, the crumple zones on the hood. When you are in a head on collision the hood actually crumples up instead of being pushed forward into you, as well as the motor dropping down and out instead of ending up on your lap. There are airbags EVERYWHERE. Trust me when i say everywhere. Depending on where you buy your car from, you can get unlimited free car washes, Super knowledgable Car techs, that know KIA cars from inside out. They also have an amazing warrenty, 10yr/100,000miles. No other car company does that. If you buy a new car, you get right off the bat, Full gas tank, new oil change, and of course a car wash. So you leave the lot extremely happy/satisfied.
  • arrasarras Posts: 4
    I recently test drove a Forte while shopping around and found the Forte interior, inferior. The cheapest plastics were used for door handles, buttons, and even the lining in the trunk. In fact, I thought the power window button was so flimsy it would break if I kept testing it out. All in all, the engine was great, the ride was smooth, but the interior design is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Cheers!
  • I've had a Kia and many others. It still remains to be seen the new Era of Kia's and the lasting power vs. what we know Honda. I will tell you that my Koup has been trouble free and with the bumper to bumper that you get..... Why not.
  • Kia or Honda? Whoa, ask yourself one question...who has proven themselves over and over? There's your answer. I think by choosing a Hyundai or Kia over a Toyota, or Honda, is a serious mistake...especially after the car gets a bit older.
  • One thing you Honda guys always overlook is the uncomfortable front seats, lousy sound insulation, and poor stopping ability. Everyone of my friends with Honda Civics hate that they're under-braked -- one (Civic Si) even had an accident (not his fault) that he's convinced would have been avoided in almost any other vehicle. Another friend has an Accord Coupe. After being bumped twice in parking lots, she finally had both bumpers repaired (I assume recovered). Within two weeks there was another large chunk missing from the rear bumper. Why? There's no structure behind the plastic cover. Honda drivetrains are eminently reliable, and because of that they have great resale value. But they're no longer great cars. Check this Edmunds review on the 2011 Accord SE:
    http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2011/testdrive.html
  • You're kidding right? I'm sorry but American cars do not hold a candle to the competition. If you want reliability, choose Japanese. If you want prestige, choose European. If you can't afford either of those, take the bus.

Buying an American car will lead you to a lot of trips to the shop and you will definatley NOT be happier in the long run, I guarantee it.
    your replying to some one from nearly 3 years ago :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    We have a revised 2013 Civic and a brand new 2014 Forte. Let the games begin!

• Is it just me or does the 2014 Forte interior look very similar to the 2013 Civic? Not surprised cause I always thought the previous Forte (pre-2014) looked exactly like the Civic. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    Nope, totally different...don't see anything that is similar really. The Forte is nicer though and will sell a bunch I predict. Being a Civic owner, I just do not like the 2012 or 2013 and would never buy another. They need to shrink the new Accord and sell that as the Civic as the Accord is a home run for Honda. If I had to purchase new right now, no Honda would be on my short list! Honda, y'all need to do some serious work here folks!

The Unimpressed Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

to me the Civic looks gawdy and cluttered in comparison to the Forte - see what you think