Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• calisteelcalisteel Member Posts: 22
    Our dealer gives them free to all customers for life. Not sure if this is a dealer specific perk but this is one question that I made sure to ask about. He said any time an update is available just come in and ask for the CD. I asked what is the charge and he said we give them to our customers free of charge.

This was after I bought the van.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    "Here's a story to let you all know how reliable Honda's GPS is. The system listed a Honda Dealership a full one-half mile south of the dealership's actual location! The POS can't even list HONDA locations correctly!!"

Keep in mind for system limitations:

The destination icon shows the approximate location of the destination. This occurs because a city block can have as many as 100 possible addresses (for example, the 1400 block is followed by the 1500 block.) Since most cities use only a portion of the 100 possible addresses (for example, in the 1400 block, the addresses may only go up to 1425 before the 1500 block starts), the address 1425 will be shown a quarter of the way down the block by the system instead of at the end of the block where the destination is actually located.
    Wow! Sorry to here that. these types of anomilies are in all GPS systems, and some cities may be more accurate that others. I happen to live in northern California and have had no issues with my system so far.

No consumer GPS is 100% accurate. They will all be off by 100 feet or more but no better than that due to Government regulations. Military GPS is much more accurate (See link).
    http://www.exn.ca/FlightDeck/News/story.cfm?ID=20000502-53

I hear a lot of comments about the Garmin or the Tom Tom being better than what is in the Honda but that really can not be proven. What we hear on this site is a small sample of the thousands of GPS units used. We also by default will alway get more complaints than praises as most people will vent when things do not go as expected but tend to be silent if things are going as expected or without issue. Also this is a honda forum not a Garmin forum so it is expected that you will get honda complaints.

Just visit a Garmin forum and browse over all the complaints Garmin users have on a Garmin site. Here are two link for you. You can just Google for more.
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?f=96&file=viewforum&name=Forums
    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=108

GPS systems of the same type will have differing results by design. I really can not begin to explain it but here are some links regarding the GPS technology and why some units are very accurate and other not. Again we could have the same exact GPS systems but have very different results.
    http://www.romdas.com/technical/gps/gps-acc.htm

I hope I have helped you to understand a little of why you have the problems you have. The one thing I can tell you is that your GPS is accurately (within 100 feet) plotting your longitude and latitude. However it is most likely the map of your area that was used that is off, not the GPS position of where your car or GPS device is.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm sure it was just a matter of the address being wrong in the system. My Ody nav has my home address located about 1/2 mile down the road, on the other side. My Garmin has it right. But that's not unusual. My wifes Lexus NAV actually has our home address about 5 miles down the road.....

I did a test last week and ran the Garmin side-by-side in my Ody just for fun. On trips, I've been taking the Garmin along with me because I've found the POI's in the Ody system to be quite lacking. I've always thought some of the Ody's routing was goofy at times, but I was again surprised by just how bad it can be.

We were at a relatives Saturday and coming home I put in "go home" to both navs. There are two basic routes that we can take to get home from this relatives. One route involves a straight-shot out some two-lane state routes, and two turns onto county roads (we live in the boonies by most folks standards). The other route involves hitting the interstate for a large part, and then two turns onto county roads.

Historically, I've found both routes take about the same amount of time although I've never checked the mileage. So I thought I'd test the NAV systems and see which route they picked. Well I was actually blown-away by the crazy route the Ody system recommended. It had me making about seven additional turns and routing me out some deliverance type backroads. I even tried changing the routing method to easy, direct, etc. but it continued to offer a route that was bizarre to say the least. The Garmin mapped me home the exact way I normally go (the state routes, avoiding the interstate). What was really quite interesting was comparing the two. The Ody NAV route was stating it was 27 miles and the Garmin was stating 23 miles. But what was even more interesting was watching the Ody NAV recalculate as I would blow past a turn it was recommending; it would recalculate and then display a SHORTER time/mileage using the new route. It actually continued to recalculate using different backroads for nearly half the trip, and about 1/2 way home it finally calculated a route that matched the garmins.

I've ignored some of the Ody's goofy routing in the past. Usually I know the way to a town but program the NAV for finding an exact address in the town. There have been several occasions where the Ody NAV was routing me all over God's creation just to get to the town. In the past I just figured the goofy route was 1/10th of a mile shorter or something, but watching the NAV recalculate and showing a shorter distance just blew my mind.
    It had me making about seven additional turns and routing me out some deliverance type backroads.

Ha ha ha...that statement was too funny.

Yeah I am sure that your Ody for your town has a poor or bad map loaded. The POI may also be lacking for you area in the Ody as well.

But the GPS does have your position correct as the satellites are tracking you exactly where you are.

A bad or poor map being used is like copying a map at 1/4 or .250 scale but the copier really made a .249 shrinkage. This will have you off on your map if you put the two on top of each other by a half mile in any direction. There is just no way to sync up the two maps as they are not the same scale.

Hopefully you can get an update and Alpine/Honda uses a better map in the update.
  • jessica_sehsjessica_sehs Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if the civic navi is the same as the ody's? I am getting ready to buy a civic with navi but all this talk is making me think about just getting a portable one. Thanks in advance, Jessica
    I would suggest that you test drive the car and play with the NAV system and see if it works for you. Do not buy but test. Then test out a portable NAV of your choice and see if it is any better.

Or if you can test the portable one at the same time that the test drive your car. If possible.

Also, you will save some money on the car if you choose not to get the NAV. But the built in NAV has a nicer look. That part is up to you.
  • jessica_sehsjessica_sehs Member Posts: 13
    Ok thanks. I can't test drive a coupe with navi because there isn't one in the state. We are planning on having them pull it in with the plan that if we like it we will buy but if we don't then we walk away. My hubby has a garmin and we will take it with us when we test drive. Thanks for that tip!! That will help alot!! Thanks again, Jessica
    It's probably similar. Even with my complaints, IMHO the Honda system is better than any other OEM I've used (audi, toyota, gm, DC). The integration is very good and you have much less of a theft concern. However, if you don't need Nav on a regular basis....it's pricey.
    True, it is the integration that I like. The NAV controls everything from the Radio to the Air condition (Voice commands that is). I use my NAV screen for my XM, FM, AM, CD changer, DVD (start, stop, cue, rew) for the kids, Audio controls, coffee maker...OK just kidding about the coffee maker. And last but not least my NAV.

I really like the NAV. I even told my wife she was fired. She use to be my navigator. My new NAV does not argue with me and I never get told to make a right when she meant left.
  • kunkunukunkunu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I feel compelled to respond to your posting. I've been having similar annoying situation since I started fooling around with the DVD player unit just to find out how it works. Last night I unplug the negative from the battery for 2-3 hours. Reconnected it. Started the car, Navigation asked for the code. After some 5-10 minutes systems seems to work well. Still working till today.

Let me know if anybody has better experience.

Hope it helps!
  • bartombartom Member Posts: 1
    If you must have the GPS at 1/20 to see where a gas station is, better take a look trough the windshield, as you will see it right there.
    What kind of GPS is this that at 1/4 of mile does not shows anything on the icons?
    What kind of GPS is this that it does not show the names of the streets on the map, just a few? If you are at 1/4 or more, good luck to you to know where the hell are you.

ALL other car GPS have better resolution and street addresses on EACH CORNER you cross as minimum.

If you are on a trip, you want to know where is the next gas station by just looking at the map, so you can calculate your self if you want to use that station or nor.

This is just garbage.

Bart
  • carson5carson5 Member Posts: 4
    We own a new Odyssey and just moved to Hawaii. I was so disappointed to learn that Honda does not support a navigation system in Hawaii, so our new navigation system does not work. This also means we are unable to set our clock, or change our screen resolution/colors/etc. The entire screen is empty and none of the buttons work. I contacted the local Honda dealership and they said there was nothing they could do, that America Honda Corp is refusing to offer service in this part of America.
    Did you ship your Ody to Hawaii? If so, I think you're out of luck. If they sold you an Ody with Nav in Hawaii, then that's a different story. But I believe this (and many other navs) are 48 state versions. Not much can be done about it.
    We bought it in Texas, and two months after our purchase we found out we were moving to Hawaii. I went to the service dept. of the dealership in Texas and asked if it would work and I was told yes. So, I was completely surprised when I arrived here and could not operate the system. There is also no way to override the clock because it operates through the navi system, so my interior clock is not functioning. Which I find extremely frustrating!
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    NAV in our 2006 Odyssey is acting up.

When I start the van, it asks for the security code which according to the manual happens when the NAV system loses power for a period like if you replace the battery. Our battery has not been replaced or run down that I know of.

I re-entered the code and will watch the system. Any ideas? Could the heat be effecting the system some how?
  • ashutosh203ashutosh203 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I would like to know how to get an update DVD for my 2003 Odyssey. What's the price?

Thanks
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Check with the official source DVD updates
    https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php
  • newody07newody07 Member Posts: 4
    Have read the posts from military members saying that the GPS won't work in GE and switching DVDs isn't an option due to DVD regional differences--i understand that but still might want to buy it for the time I would use the system prior to shipping the vehicle to GE and also for resale value maybe in the future...

I have also read the posts about a lower-48 NAV not working once it is shipped to Hawaii.

What I was wondering is what is affected/doesn't work when the NAV is inoperable due to it being in either GE or Hawaii---specifically, if the backing-up camera function still works...

Also--any info on if there are Honda extended warranties available for purchase in GE or if the US HondaCare warranty is honored in GE would be much appreciated.
    When the Nav is inoperable, the backup camera does still work. However, the interior clock does not work because the settings run through the Nav system.
  • newody07newody07 Member Posts: 4
    Thanx for the help/info. Anything else not work properly with the NAV inoperable?

From reading the Odyssey glossy brochure it also mentions that the NAV system has voice-activated cmds for such things as audio and climate control--do those still work with the NAV inoperable??
    Unfortunately, the voice command does not work at all, even for the radio, climate, etc.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The 4.62 Update solves your problems.
  • tangatanga Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2006 Odyssey with Nav, I am looking at getting the Latest DVD ROM for it. The dealer wants just to much money for it does anyone know where I can get a copy for cheap.
  • leemunleemun Member Posts: 2
    I just upgraded my xm subscription to the traffic for my 2006 odyssey and it does not work. any ideas? I have left it on for 1 hour in park and it will not update.
  • leemunleemun Member Posts: 2
    i was told that we have the newest version.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I don't think the Odyssey's navigation system has Real Time Traffic technology in it, so that may be your problem :)
    For those with a 2000-2004 Odyssey with Navigation now there is an update at http://www.hondanavi.com/. The 2.50 Update adds all the mapupdates that were included in the 4.62 update. Doesn't add all the 4.62 features though.
    Actually there is a 4.62 update at hondanavi.com. That update is the latest. You might just have the older version. 2005-2008 Odyssey doesn't have traffic.
  • angelchicagoangelchicago Member Posts: 38
    I am debating whether to buy a 2007 or 2008 Ody. So I am scratching real hard to understand the true differences.

Does anyone know if there are some new 2007 Odys being sold with 4.62 NAV, or is the 4.62 NAV only a version that will be sold with the 2008 models ?
    Umm unless the dealer puts in the 4.62 disc. The 08 touring has navi but is 40K. Dealers should easily be able to discount them. The 08 Does include 4.62. The newer 07s probably contain the 4.56 disc which is 4.55 but with the Daylight Savings Time patch. 4.62 adds a lot of new map data and some features. So if you want an 07 nav then you will have to buy the disc which is on back order as of this post. 08's will already have the 4.62 disc preinstalled.

I hope this helps.
    Upgrading the nav disc is really easy. For the ody the Navi computer is underneath the driver seat.

1.For updating set the car in ACC or turn it on.

2.Then go underneath the seat while doing step one.

3. Open the door that covers it and eject the disc. Then take it out and carefully replace it with the new disc.

4. Insert the updated disc and close the cover then do whatever you want with the older disc. It will go blank but then when you put the new disc it will automatically update it.

5. Then when its done just turn off the car and enjoy!

A quick tip.

You can't go back to your older disc. I don't want to discourage anybody but why would you want to. You buy the discs to have the latest maps. I hope this helps.
  • debchuckdebchuck Member Posts: 17
    I'm certainly glad your NAV system seems to be working. I bought a new Ody a month ago and my old Cobra portable GPS unit runs circles and everything else around the Honda system. It does not find my home address -- a street that has existed for over 170 years. Yet, the owner's manual and Honda and Alpine, even, claim the system is running the latest updated information.

Frankly, the Honda NAV system is completely useless to me. I do like the rear-view camera, however, but don't drive backward very far!! I'm highly disappointed with the NAV system and with Honda for putting such inferior products in their cars.

I bought the Ody in Tennessee but live in Kentucky. I cannot find my home in the system. Neither can I find the Honda dealer in Tennessee, my parents in West Virginia, my old university in West Virginia, my church in Kentucky. To tell me it's acceptable to get within a half-mile of a destination is ludricruous when the little Cobra unit puts me on the doorstep and would give change if I needed it!

Honda got duped and apparently does not care. If I could figure out some way to remove the Honda NAV, I would yank it and install some aftermarket techno-whiz that would work correctly.
  • mytouringmytouring Member Posts: 13
    Where do you purchase the disk? :confuse:
    Maybe you should report your error to navteq. They do listen to your feedback.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CON- - SUMER&language=en

for number 4 please click factory installed system. Then honda and then choose your model. It should say DVD navigation system and thats it. I hope this helps.

This should help you report map data. Blame it on navteq and alpine. Alpine presses these discs months in advance. I hope this helps.
    http://www.hondanavi.com but the 4.62 disc is on backorder until further notice. They must of had too many people buy this disc. You can't buy this at the dealer since dealers refer you to this page. They are legit OEM discs.
  • jeffkahnjeffkahn Member Posts: 7
    I just bought the 2007 Odyssey and it sounds like I have the 4.56 disc. Do people think it is the worth the money to upgrade to the 4.62 once it is available again?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    This individual has posted the same rant elsewhere and evidently disregarded sound advice to take it to the dealer for repairs since the unit is obviously defective.
    This individual HAS taken the Odyssey to the dealer. NOTHING was found wrong, the dealer said. The dealer said it probably needed "reoriented" and claimed to have done so... whatever that means. Nothing changed. Call it a rant if you wish... the fact is the portable Cobra unit works and the Honda unit does not. Honda says it's functioning normally. Obviously, it is not -- so if that is a rant, then so be it. I don't see it that way. I see it as a concern that has not been addressed. And I will continue to search everywhere I can until I find something that corrects the situation. Honda national office had no worthwhile solution... the dealer found nothing wrong... still the unit does not work. So, if that's a rant, it's a rant and will continue to be.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Please accept my apology.

Take it to another dealer because the one you're using doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

The only reinorientation needed here is their attitude toward customer service.
    Agreed. That is what I've said all along. I would have thought Honda Corporate Customer Services would have been more receptive... while they sound good and did contact the selling dealer, that is about as far as it goes. I probably will contact Jesse from Honda Corporate and tell them I want another dealer involved or someone from Corporate to come and look at my van.
    Having owned two aftermarket systems and three OEM nav's. (lexus, honda, audi and experience with several others).......I'll say this:

-My Garmin runs circles around any of the OEM systems.

-The Honda is the best OEM system I've used.

Now after that little blurb, the Honda system really makes things difficult. So at least until really playing with the system and learning EXACTLY how to find something, give it a chance. And I wouldn't expect a dealer to really know how to operate it either. But even knowing how to run it, there's still no reason for some of the poor routing, missing roads, and lack of POI's.

Now onto the help: If you want help with this, go out and try to find something (like a college, restaurant, or address). Then come back here and give me the step-by-step on how you did it and I'll see if I can help. I initially found the Honda system deplorable but after playing with it for some time, I now at least give it a passing grade. But on long trips into unknown territory, my Garmin is along for the ride as well.
    Also check out navteq if you have any discrepancies. They too can help fix your address problems as well in future updates.
  • mytouringmytouring Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the website! I think I'll wait for the next update, not many updates on the 4.6 to spend that kind of money...
  • joannesgjoannesg Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2005 Odyssey after 3 days at the dealer they have finally determined our GPS was malfunctioning as we had indicated and it needs to be replaced at a cost of $4700. Yikes, has anyone had this experience and found a cheaper option for replacement?
    Well a junk yard system will work. It's expensive to replace. It has a lot of components. You could try to get Honda to cover it under warranty. Honda should cover this part.
  • tsteele93tsteele93 Member Posts: 18
    >http://www.hondanavi.com but the 4.62 disc is on backorder until further notice.

According to the site, it says: "The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. A release for customer vehicles will be available early next year."
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    I just had my wife's Ody at the dealership (Hendrick Honda, Woodbridge VA) and they don't even stock the disk as it's too expensive to keep in stock. They gave me a phone number to call to order it - though it sure sounds like they won't sell me one if I'm not a dealer. Nothing like a Catch-22. :mad:
    http://www.hondanavi.com

Dealers don't carry the GPS disc. You must order it from the site above. Alpine is the only company that sells it. Currently it's on back order until 2008.
  • semenzatosemenzato Member Posts: 41
    > we have a 2005 Odyssey after 3 days at the dealer they have
    > finally determined our GPS was malfunctioning as we had
    > indicated and it needs to be replaced at a cost
    > of $4700. Yikes, has anyone had this experience and found a
    > cheaper option for replacement?

There is something wrong with this picture.
    Four thousand seven hundred dollars for a GPS?
    Even if it were so, any system this expensive is usually built
    in a modular way, so that it is possible to replace individual components
    when they fail. This isn't a throw-away $50 DVD player.

If this happened to me, I would ask for an explanation of why
    this can't be done by replacing a single, cheaper part.
    Then I would escalate the issue, first with the dealer, then
    with Honda itself. This is way unreasonable.