Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• joe62285joe62285 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where I get my hands on a cd to upgrade my nav . system?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    www.hondanavi.com but a new update isn't out just yet. 4.70 is going to be the new version on all 05-09 Odyssey's.
  • joe62285joe62285 Member Posts: 2
    I believe the new cd will be available for the 2005 ody soon. I am looking to purchase the new cd for a price cheaper then honda. anyone know where i can find it?
  • changeliveschangelives Member Posts: 2
    They have several listings for V 4.63 on ebay. They are supposed to work for 2006 and later. Not sure about 2005. I would look on ebay.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes 4.62 does work on th 05 Odyssey. All 05 and up odyssey's use the 4.xx system.
  • mgroomermgroomer Member Posts: 3
    I am considering the purchase of a 2008 Odyssey with NAV. Should I purchase the NAV and if so under what assumptions. For example, if you hold the car for more than three years, is the NAV (even with software updates) driven in the technology trash can? Is the NAV really worth $3,000. Technological obsolescence is my concern.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Is the NAV really worth $3,000 The NAV itself.....no. You get a nice big screen but the actual usefulness of it is mediore at best. A $200 garmin will run circles around it. In fact, we take our Garmin along as a backup for when the OEM Nav frustrates us. So we paid $2,000 (at the time) for a backup camera and voice commands that we don't use. (ding....."XM Channel Twenty".....and the HVAC goes to full-blast...nevermind let me push this one button...).

Technological obsolescence? Maybe many many years down the road. We're closing in on four years and with DVD updates ($200.....) it will stay useful and similarly mediocre for however long they continue to offer DVD updates.

Value? Book value on my van seems to be $700 higher with the navigation vs identical van without. So, it's only really cost me $1,300!! I've decided unless I just have no choice, I won't buy a factory nav again. If i lived in a metro or road-tripped constantly, it might be a different story but I don't and have no intention of doing either.
  • angelchicagoangelchicago Member Posts: 38
    You will likely get mixed feedback on the question whether factory NAV is worth the extra dollars.

I would vote a clear yes it is worth every penny. I have never used a NAV in any other car nor have I ever used the standalone garmin like units. The whole NAV concept is new to me so I have no expecations other then will it get me to where I need to go. I love the Honda NAV. It has worked for me driving from IL to FL door to door without a hithch. I drove just this weekend from IL to WI boonies door to door. It is true that the map is out of date, kindof like a phone book that is 5 years old, but I think how that sets you back depends on where you live and fortunately I live and travel to mainstream areas.

From what I hear the garmin is a much accurate unit and better option for some folks, so it is a shame Honda could not match what one can buy for a couple hundred bucks. To me having a NAV that is integrated with my primary family vehicle with all the feactres "convienietly" within reach (no wires, no battery charge, no whos car was it last left in, etc) that does the job 99% of the time is worth it for me. My kids are on the swim team where we drive to a different mystery pool each weekend so when it is time to wake up 6am in the morning pack the bags and throw 3 kids in the car it is great to jump in a family vehicle and pull the Honda NAV favorite location screen and select the programmed in pool locations.

The voice command is useless, XM didnt care for, backup screen is little value. The NAV will return some dollars back in your pocket when it is time for sale. It is overpriced when all is said and done, but in my eyes it is a must have. I was told up front all auto mfg provided NAV units do not come close to what the garmin offers so I made my decision knowing this and do not regret it at all.
  • tennerctennerc Member Posts: 6
    Ask your self these questions.
    why would you want to spend $3000 for a Nav Sys that performs very poor.
    You can a portable one for $233 Garmin 260 that is the state of the art and is
    much better.
    A portable one you can take in your other auto, or on a rental car, or lone to a friend.
    If you want to up grade to the latest map a garmin cost $75. but a in car Sys. runs $175.
    When you sell your car you have sold your Nav. Sys. also.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Why? Because 'very poor' is in the eye of the beholder. I love the (OEM) Navi in my wife's Ody. While there are a few places in this quickly-developing area that are not in the database, they're not a big deal to me. Navi has saved our butts a few times while traveling and I'm very pleased with it. We also like the other bells and whistles the Touring came with, so the premium was worth it regardless of the Navi system. I don't need to put it in my truck; I've got road atlases for that.
  • richarddaviesricharddavies Member Posts: 7
    Why? Because I don't have to worry about where to mount a Garmin, or have to worry about getting tangled up in the power cord running down to the cigarette lighter. Plus like others have already mentioned, the integration with the other components is a nice bonus.

Also, the added safety bonus of the backup camera totally makes it worth it to me. No more worrying about running over a kid's toy (or even worse--my child) left behind the van when backing out of the driveway.
  • zeneliazenelia Member Posts: 2
    Which 2 Types Of Gps Navigation Products Would Be Best Suited For A Customer Looking To Use It Primarily While Driving?

Portable & handheld, handheld & built in, in dash & portable, in dash & built in?
  • mapman4mapman4 Member Posts: 1
    This is probably too late to help you but we purchased a 2007 Odyssey touring over a year ago. really likde the bells and whistles - love the nav system but being a long term Tom Tom user, i would not purchase a nav system from Honda. here is why - Nav comes in the entertainment package which is very expensive. Also the Touring only comes with run flat tires. BAD DEAL!!!! run flat tires only get 25,000 to 27,000 miles before replacement and they cost just over $1,000. Better deal is to buy model below the Touring. go out and buy a Tom Tom for $200 to $300 bucks, get personal DVD players to hang on the back of the seats, and put a good set of Michelin tires on the first time you change tires at 40,000 miles plus. this will save you about $6,000 to $8,000 dollars.
  • mgroomermgroomer Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks for the feedback... I took the EX-L approach and did not get the NAV. I purchased a second Garmin and my wife and I are good to go. FYI, both Garmins are outstanding.
  • tomgreagtomgreag Member Posts: 2
    The TomTom ONE XL-S is the high end of TomTom's ONE line of basic portable gps navigators. It adds text-to-speech functionality to the ONE XL's gorgeous widescreen, 4.3-inch display, expanded traffic options that include GPRS- and optional RDS-TMC radio-based real-time traffic information. The TomTom ONE XL is a complete portable GPS vehicle navigation device with an incredible range of features.

-------------------------------
    Gps Navigation Systems
  • npalagumminpalagummi Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Odyssey's navigation screen folds down like the 2009? Thanks for responding!
    The NAV screens fold down starting in 2005.
  • npalagumminpalagummi Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply!
  • perkiperki Member Posts: 1
    Today I went shopping and when I stared the van the Nav system came up asking for a pin #. I have never put one in and it will not do anything. Can someone help? :confuse:
    There is an anti-theft "security code" for the radio and the navigation that must be entered if the battery goes dead or the power to the device is cut. You should have been given the codes when you bought the vehicle. If not, you'll probably have to contact your dealer. Or do a Google search on honda navi security code and see what you can find.
  • sandrakelysandrakely Member Posts: 3
    This might be new with the 2008 model, but you don't have to buy the run flat tires with the Touring model. Also, the touring is the only way you can get the auto lift rear hatch, which is a great feature when you are dealing with kids and all that comes along with them.

I love almost everything about this car including the entertainment system, although we've only used it once. My only really big complaint is about the nav system. It does have features I really like, but it can't find things like Home Depot and other major locations by name in the county I live in.

The dealer says all the need is an updated disc but I'm not convinced. Anyone else having this problem?
    Not sure if you bought you van yet. Depending on the model you buy the nav system will be standard. I just bought a 2008 Touring. I love 99.9% of it. I enjoy the voice commands and use them regularly. I think it just takes some getting used to. Also, the touring model is the only one with the auto lift hatch, which was the only thing on my must have list. You don't have the get the run flat tires on the touring model. The blue tooth is great. My son loves talking to his grandparents while we are on the road.

My one complaint and I'm trying to figure this out with Honda is the GPS. Granted it has nice features, but can't find a lot of pretty big things by name. For example it can't find a CostCo, HomeDepot, Lowes and many others in the county I live in.

The dealer looked at the 2009 model and found that the nav had the same problem. My $200 Garmin never failed me, but my $2,000 nav system makes me nervous every time I have to use it.
    I just bought a 2008 Touring model. It took nealy four months to get the dealer to really see the problem. The dealer then changed my disc twice. Then they went to a 2009 model and found that the nav system had the same problem. It can't find Home Deport and other major places in the county that I live in.

The dealer acted really surprised by this. I'm waiting now to hear from a Honda rep. The dealer has told me that the more people complain to Honda the better chance we all have of getting this fixed.

When I get some contact information I'll be sure to post it.
    The OEM system just doesn't have the POI's of many aftermarket systems. I'm still running my '05 disc because after playing with the '08 model at the dealership, it was still lacking many of the POI's I was using as a base. When a POI has been there for ten years and isn't in the '05 disc...or the '08 disc....I'm not overly conident it's every going to show up. I also noticed on the '08 disc, it's lacking a 4-lane highway near us that was built back in 2003. I could somewhat understand this in 2005...but going on six years now?? No reason to spend the $250+ to upgrade discs when you're not gaining much. We still use it, but the Garmin does a far better job at everything but looking pretty.

FWIW, the 2009 EX-L will have the powe liftgate as a stand alone option. Of course now that you can get non-PAX and 8-passenger seating on the Touring, I'd probably still pony up even with the overpriced NAV. There are still some very basic features you have to jump up to the touing to get (auto headlamps, MID to name a couple).
  • crazyelmocrazyelmo Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Recently my wife's 2005 Odyssey Nav has been having the problems you mention plus screen freezes and periods of unresponsiveness. It seems to "get lost" at times - as though it's disconnected from all satellite contact - and is unable to calculate or complete navigation to certain locations.
  • debchuckdebchuck Member Posts: 17
    Good luck getting anyone at Honda national offices to even listen to youl. I have a 2007 Ody EXL with navigation that I complained about from the very first day we owned the van. Jesse in Honda national says it's normal. The Honda dealer in Kingsport, TN, says it's functioning normally.

Yet, the thing cannot find my house!!!!! I have a QVC handheld Cobra model that will not only find my house but offer change and anything else I want. Honda makes a good vehicle, but a piss-poor navigation system. I do not trust it. Rarely use it. I carry my Cobra for accuracy -- no matter what Honda says.

In short, I've owned Honda cars in the past and love the Ody, but this is my LAST Honda because of the nav system being so shoddy and Honda's customer service being worse than shoddy. They won't dare send a survey to me!! The Honda system looks great. It just doesn't work in very many places. I have had it working in Louisville, KY, at the airport, but by golly if a human cannot find the airport by looking at the planes, we ought not be there anyhow.

The dears are surprised. Sure, they don't want to get involved. My dealer tried to tell me the nav system needed "reinitialized" so he kept it almost an entire day to do that little trick. No matter how educated he sounded, the nav system still does not function properly. A letter to Navtech got me nothing. Four or five letters to Jesse at Honda national customer service got me nothing.

So, the next time I buy a new vehicle -- Honda will get nothing, and I will tell everybody who will listen what my opinion is of Honda's handling of this deal. They sold the vehicle. Now, they want nothing to do with us.
  • spacecadet0spacecadet0 Member Posts: 1
    I found the pin for the NAV and the audio system in my 07 Ody on the inside of the glove compartment, the upper one. Try it. But then I bought mine used from the dealer, so the original owner could have put it there. I never got the original pin papers from the original owner. Hope that helps.
  • roffer98roffer98 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2008 Honday Odyssey Touring edition and although I like the car the GPS system is bad enough that it is not really useable. When we did use it I would get a kick out watching what happens when we are on a route and go into a gas station. When you come back out onto the same road quite often the unit recalculates a completely different route and the change in distance can be as great as 30 extra minutes. After following it several times and ending up going way out of our way we just stopped using it.

Don't know why they had Alpine OEM this unit; they must have chosen it mainly for it's ability to hide a 6-disc CD player behind the screen. Too bad they don't just re-write the software. The rest of the car is great though, however at $2k for a dealer installed GPS unit that is a pretty big oversight on Honda's part.
    I'm certainly no fan of the OEM GPS and can name a good number of faults, however it really sounds as if yours has a problem that should be addressed. Duplicating for a dealer might be impossible, but it would be worth complaining and see if there are any TSB's out for it. I've never had that happen, most of my complaints are directly related to a lack of POI's, missing roads, routing. But to just change routes along the way sounds buggy.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Maybe I just got lucky or maybe I just don't expect too much from my Navi, but I've never had those problems with the Navi in my wife's Odyssey (2007 I think). There are certainly roads not in the database, but that's to be expected when they're still building them now. I've never had it change routes like you mention, only when I take a different route than Navi recommended. And Navi saved my butt this summer on a trip to Cleveland to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - the ramp from the highway to our hotel was being resurfaced and Navi put together a great alternate route instantly - we never would've found it without Navi.
  • 2006odyowner2006odyowner Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2006 Odyssey Touring DVD + NAV 2 days ago. We tested all the bells and whistles - amazed at what these cars can do now. At any rate, we have been driving it for 2 days and the NAVI was dog slow. The dealer told us he had to replace the battery recently and so he attributed it everything loading back in. But this thing was acting like a 386mHz processor with 64MB of RAM. It was just plain sluggish.

I am here to tell you that I found the solution to my problem and I hope it helps others out there as a POSSIBLE cause to your issues.

Symptoms :

1. NAVI system took almost a full 2 minutes to boot and sitting on the Disclaimer screen with no OK button.

2. After starting the car and putting it in Reverse, the Backup camera did not come on and wouldn't come on even when you sat there for 2 minutes.

3. Once the backup camera finally did come on, it would stay on for a good 30 seconds while in Drive. You could see the road behind you.

4. Voice activation commands were spotty at best. Radio On would work but not Radio Off. Could never get Climate Control commands to work.

5. The entire system would just lockup completely for minutes with none of the buttons working.

Solution :

I have been pouring over this forum and other forums looking to see if anyone had my same problem. I couldn't find a single thread that had all my problems or one that offered an exact solution. However, I tried all the tricks that people suggested and it gave me some insight into how this system works.

I went into the Diagnostics menu (Map/Guide + Cancel + Menu) and did a full diagnostics. Everything was reported to be working fine which baffled me. Mic was ok and registering. It picked up my voice very clearly. I even went as far as clearing the SRAM??? but that didn't do anything except make me re-enter the PIN to the system.

Then I read a post from someone who suggested "Downloading" the DVD again. Rather it was for another solution but it gave me the idea to at least try it. So after you get to the Diagnostics menu I think you go to Version. When you get to that screen there is a "DownLoad" button. I tried that and it took forever to change screens (my first hint). Once it did the screen went blank and said something like "Downloading software....". Shortly thereafter I got a message to check my disc (my second hint) and the download failed.

I did what I was told and checked the disc. I searched the forums and found out how to do this. Go under the driver's seat, hit the glowing button to open the panel. Once that is open, press the eject button on the NAVI DVD player. The disc popped out and I inspected it. And there it was.....a 2 inch wide scuff mark from the center to the edge of the DVD. It looked like someone dragged the DVD on something, but only on that one side. This made sense to me but not completely. I was onto something!

How could I eliminate the DVD from this equation and see if it makes a difference? The ultimate answer is to get a new DVD, but I didn't have one. So I turned the car off and turned it back on without the DVD in the drive. As expected I got an error message on my screen about not finding a DVD or the door was open. How could I bypass this? Did any of the buttons work and could I still use Voice Activation?

I pressed the Voice Activation button and nothing! Dang! Then I tried to see if I could change the screen display. Sure enough I pressed the Audio button and the radio display came on. Cool! I then tried the Voice Activation button again and it worked! I proceeded to try the Voice Commands again. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WORKED!! I worked the Climate Controls, the Radio, the Menus...everything. It was beautiful!

Oooh, but would this fix the backup camera? I did that all last night and decided to go to bed. This morning I turned the key on and popped out the DVD that I put back in last night. I started the car and put it in reverse immediately. The BACKUP CAMERA worked instantly. I put it into Drive and it WENT OFF IMMEDIATELY!

Conclusion :

With the Navigation System "disabled" the system is working flawlessly. It seems that my bad disc is really stressing the system and preventing things to work in a timely manner and its my opinion that these things are "timing out". Its like the CPU is maxed out and it just can't function.

I have a new DVD on order and I don't know how everything will react. Part of me doesn't know if my system will slow down a little once I get the DVD. The Navigation System is huge and takes a lot of resources to run. However, I think I found the problem and I am elated to know that my system is going to be OK.

I hope this helps someone but at the same time, please correct me if any of my statements are incorrect. I am new to the Honda Navigation family and my statements are merely assumptions based on my observations.

Once I get my new DVD, I will update this post to let everyone know how it turned out!
  • eurimportseurimports Member Posts: 2
    Were you ever able to resolve your navigation system issue? My 2005 EX-L has begun to do the same thing.
  • 2006odyowner2006odyowner Member Posts: 2
    In a word - Yes!

So I took it to the dealer the same day as my post to have them give their assessment. Before they even looked at it, I told them everything I had done and some of the conclusions I arrived at. The tech listened to me partially and said they would look at it. He did agree a scratched disc like that would cause problems. Anyways they had it for 2 hours. Apparently they were on with the TechLine at Honda the whole time. Honda informed my dealer that this is a known issue with the Navigation system. The remedy is a software patch...not a map update but one for the Navigation software. They told me it would take 2 weeks for them to receive it and they would call me when it was in. The whole process takes about 45 minutes and alleviates the problems I am experiencing. So I have to watch for them to get the CD and bring it back in.

Armed with that information I was kind of bummed to know that even a map update wouldn't fix my issue. However, I thought I would still give it a shot. I received the new disc and popped it in my NAV DVD player. It did all the normal stuff downloading the necessary updates. It took about 15 minutes. I was really hoping this would fix it and IT DID!!

All of my problems are gone! The backup camera works flawlessly and all the voice commands (including Navigation) work great.

So for me, my problem was a scratched DVD. I would recommend making a backup copy of your disc because if it gets damaged, the whole system seems to go downhill.
  • eurimportseurimports Member Posts: 2
    Great to hear that your problem is fixed. Let's hope that it stays that way. I'm currently running my system without the disc and everything, except the nav of course, runs quicker. The system passes the intro screen much faster. The back-up camera switches on and off more quickly and more reliably. Considering that my dvd is version 4.13 an upgrade may be the thing to do.

First, however, I'll clean the laser. I noticed that my dvd had a film on the data side when I checked it. (No other scratches or scuff marks.) It looked much better once it was cleaned. Since the data side faces down and it was dirty I can only imagine how dirty the laser must be since it faces up.

Here's hoping for good results.
  • KingarthKingarth Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Odyssey Touring and have recently started having similar problems with my NAV system. After talking to the local dealer and mentioning the patch for a fix, the Service Advisor came back on line saying they had the fix in-shop. It would take about 1/2 hour to implement at a cost of $50.00 (ouch). I am computer literate and can load the fix myself. Please advise how you got your hands on the patch disc ! We've all had numerous patches on our IBM PC's and sfw updates from vendors at no cost. My feeling is that this is a manufactures sfw bug and any upgrade to solve their operating problem should be free of charge for product & labour no matter whether the vehicle is in or out of warranty. Am I out in left field? An updated map disc is out of the question at $300.00 plus in Canada
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    For a limited time the 2008 update (2009 Model Year) will be offered at a discounted price of $149. (offer valid through 3/15/2009. Subject to change.). This is for Version 4.73 WHITE DVD (USA South DVD).

https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

Note: Fulfillment is handled by Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I have a 2007 and again I don't need to update since this new version doesn't apply to my area including business and travel purposes.

The 4.73 update WHITE DVD (USA South DVD) includes points of interest (POI) and map coverage. US map coverage was expanded to include the following areas:

Arizona
    Yuma

California
    Central Valley - including Fresno, Merced, Modesto and Stockton
    Humboldt
    Mammoth Lakes

Florida
    Panama City

Hawaii (all cities for the following islands)
    Hawaii
    Honolulu
    Kauai
    Lanai
    Maui
    Molokai

Illinois
    Carbondale
    Galesburg
    Urbana-Danville

Indiana
    Bloomington
    Muncie

Iowa
    Waterloo-Cedar Falls

Mississippi
    Memphis
    Tupelo

Montana
    Missoula

New Hampshire
    Lebanon

New Mexico
    Las Cruces

Ohio
    Lima
    Springfield

Pennsylvania
    Southwest Pennsylvania – including Pittsburgh and Washington County

Texas
    Amarillo
    Beaumont
    Nacogdoches-Lufkin
    Texarkana
    Wichita Falls

Utah
    St. George

Vermount
    Rutland

Virginia
    Emporia
    Staunton - Waynesboro - Harrisonburg

Wisconsin
    Eau Claire
    La Crosse

Canada Detailed Coverage Areas
    NOTE: The city names** are not included in the USA South DVD. To obtain coverage for those cities**, you may purchase the Canada DVD. DVDs are not available at your dealer.

ALBERTA
    Beaumont**
    Calmar**
    Devon**
    Fort Saskatchewan**
    Leduc**
    Spruce Grove**
    St Albert**
    Stony Plain**
    Strathcona County**
    Squamish-Lillooet
    Squamish
    Whistler
    Thompson Nicola
    Kamloops**
    Central Okanagan
    Kelowna**
    Peachland**
    Okanagan - Similkameen
    Penticton**
    Summerland**
    Frontenanc
    Frontenac Islands

Gatineau
    Gatineau
    Muskoka
    Bracebridge
    Georgian Bay
    Gravenhurst
    Huntsville
    Lake of Bays
    Muskoka Lakes
    Middesex
    London

Ottawa
    Ottawa
    Perth
    Stratford
    Simcoe
    Adjala-Tosorontio
    Barrie
    Clearview
    Collingwood
    Essa
    Innisfil
    Midland
    New Tecumseth
    Orillia
    Oro-Medonte
    Penetanguishene
    Ramara
    Severn
    Springwater
    Tay
    Tiny
    Wasaga Beach
    Quebec
    Montreal-Laurentians

La Riviere-du-Nord
    Prévost**
    St-Colomban**
    St-Hippolyte**
    St-Jérôme**
    Ste-Sophie**
    Les Laurentides
    Amherst
    Arundel
    Barkmere
    Brébeuf
    Huberdeau
    La Conception
    La Minerve
    Labelle
    Lac-Supérieur
    Lantier
    Mont-Tremblant
    Montcalm
    St-Faustin – Lac-Carré
    Ste-Agathe-des-Monts
    Ste-Lucie-des-Laurentides
    Val-David
    Val-des-Lacs
    Val-Morin

Les Pays-d’en-Haut
    Lac-des-Seize-Îles**
    Morin-Heights**
    Piedmont**
    St-Adolphe-d’Howard**
    St-Sauveur**
    Ste-Adele**
    Ste-Anne-des-Lacs**
    Ste-Marguerite-Estérel**
    Wentworth-Nord**
    Mirabel
    Mirabel**
    Quebec
    La Cote-de-Beaupre
    Beaupre
    Boischatel
    Chateau-Richer
    L’Ange-Gardien
    St-Ferreol-les-Neiges
    St-Joachim
    St - Louis - de - Gonzague - du - Cap - Tourmente
    Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre
    La Jacques-Cartier
    Fossambault-sur-le-Lac
    Lac-Beauport
    Lac-Delage
    Lac-St-Joseph
    Ste-Brigitte-de-Laval
    Ste-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier
    Shannon
    L’Ile-D’Orleans
    St-Francois
    St-Jean
    St-Laurent-de-L’Ile-d’Oreleans
    St-Pierre-de-L’Ile-d’Orleans
    Ste-Famille
    Ste-Petronille
    Levis
    Levis
    Quebec
    Québec**
  • pops11pops11 Member Posts: 1
    I have read through hundreds of messages here and haven't found a solution to my problem. I can cope with the crazy routing, POI problems, giving you a restaurant 1200 miles away. But what really burn my shorts is that one second its fine then the next it is wondering off like its got Alzheimers (no offense intended). Seems like when I make a turn of even a slight curve in the road, the thing just goes straight. The north arrow goes nuts, and it keeps getting further away from my location. I have done the "location correction" thing numerous times and it goes right back to wondering. Is there a fix for this? Seems silly to have to take my Garmin with me.
    I completely understand your situation. I own an '07 Odyssey with NAV. The NAV has never worked properly where I live and Honda does not give a rat's butt about the situation and I have never had the courtesy of reply from Alpine. It really amazes me that a QVC Cobra navigation unit will make Honda/Alpine look stupid in every possible situation at about one-seventh of the Honda's cost.

Guaranteed Honda is not going to do anything other than offer to "reiniitialize" your system and refer you to Alpine for an update disc which will not help your situation. I really like the Odyssey but it is going to be my last Honda unless Honda Corporate Headquarters gets off its butt and does something. I happen to have the extended warranty so I will be around a while, but if they do not make this thing work as good as my Cobra, Honda will very likely get the van back under Kentucky's lemon law at some poiint.

I know you said you did not like hte idea of carrying your Garmin with you but, my friend, that is about the best option you have. I rely heavily on my Cobra. I do not rely on Honda/Alpine except for poor customer service, no replies, and equipment that does not work.

Honda really got pissed at me when I told them that Honda/Alpine should have bought their technology from Cobra before they stuck the unit into vehicles. I don't go the update crap. If everybody else works perfectly, why does not Honda/Alpine?

Good luck!!
    I occasionally get the following error message on my navigation screen "DVD DISC READING ERROR CONSULT YOUR DEALER" after which the navigation system stops functioning. If I turn the car off and start it again, then it resumes working.

Does anyone know of any way to reset or restart the navigation without restarting the vehicle? I'm pretty sure I managed to press some sort of button sequence once to do this, but can't seem to do it again. So if anyone knows of any magical reset button sequence, please let me know. Thank you!
  • estravenestraven Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a second hand Japanese 1996 Honda CRV unfortunately not with the GPS DVD/CD. If anyone has one available and can let me have a copy - I will try and convert it to English.
    Any help, thoughts appreciated

regards

Karl
  • KingarthKingarth Member Posts: 2
    Since my last entry re my NAVI System problems, I have had my 05 Odyssey back to the dealer twice. The first time, what was to be a 1/2 hour reload by the tech turned into a 3.5 hour Odyssey between the tech and online (voice) with the so-called spirts back east. They couldn't get the discs to load. Got it back just a sick as when I took it in. A couple of weeks later I got called to bring it back in as they figured they had the problem solved. This time I got the car back in an hour. When I picked the car up at the dealers (fixed & washed) guess what. It froze at the intro screen. Back in to get the tech to show him the problem. He said it was working fine after the load. Turned the car off and on and the Navi came up fine. We went for a test drive and after a minute or so, the NAVI corrected itself and picked up my route. Since then it's a crap shoot as to what the system will do. from the "DVD DISC READING ERROR CONSULT YOUR DEALER", to watching my backup view going forward, to leaving me where I turned the car on in my parking spot till my next parking spot 8 km later, to believe it or not working fine! (you name the trouble I've experienced it)
    It ticked me off when the Honda Care Centre person told me I should deal with the Navi System people (like denying it was a Honda problem) Sorry that doesn't fly. I don't go to Magna for Honda parts. I think it's time for Honda to step up to the plate and stop passing the buck. They got enough of mine!!!
    Agreed! I have an '07 Ody with all the bells and whistles and essentially like the van very much... as much as I have any car I have ever owned.

But the navi system sucks and has from the very first day. It does not locate my home in Eastern Kentucky, but a $300 QVC Cobra unit does that rapidly and much more. Never failed me. Honda has never served me!!!!!! Honda National Customer Service (a guy named Jesse) has never served me. They are rude, condescending, and crude.

I do have a bit of salvation, though: Kentucky has a lemon law that is good for the duration of the warranty on the Honda, and I bought the extended warranty!!!!! All I have to do is have to a dealer, any dealer, three times for the same problem, and then I can collect go and drive a new something or another!! Two dealer visits are down and a third will come shortly before my warranty expires, and then Honda can meet me in any court of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and we'll exchange keys.

I love the Ody. I despise the navi system. Alpine, the maker, even refuses to answer letters. I would, too, if I produced such shoddy workmanship. Good luck on getting anything done. I wish you well.
  • angelchicagoangelchicago Member Posts: 38
    It is understood some folks have very poor experience with NAV sys while others have a favorable experience. I am sure both experiences hold true. It may be helpful for the forum to grade your experience based on "region" where you live. This way we can help provide info for other to make their future purchase decision of the NAV option with info specific to the area they will most likely to use it.

IL Chicagoland = A

A=works 99% of time, B=works 95% of time, C=works 90% of time, D= works less then 90% of time but still use it, F= works to poorly to use at all.
    It's pretty clear that the NAV has pretty good performance within most any metro. Still rather lacking in POI's, but the streets and mapping are good. Get outside the Metro and you can see where Honda tried to save money (or DVD space....) as roads that have been in place for years are missing, POI's are few and far between even on major highways, and rural mapping routes will drive you crazy. Although I was recently in Cincinnati which is a decent sized town by most standards and the NAVi was lost for the street I was on. It had homes which appeared to have been built in the 50's so I'm gonna guess it wasn't a new street :P
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Good grief. You've been complaining about this for at least six months, based on posts I scanned. Let it go, man. This isn't healthy.

We have an '05 with Navi and so far no issues. We don't use it a lot, however. We did get a post card a month or so ago about a DVD update. I've been looking at this thread to see if anyone has comments on it. Unfortunately, I don't have the post card so I am unsure which update it is. And from these posts, I am not sure what the very latest, post-bugs version number is. If I get the latest disk, what should I ask for? Thanks.
    I'll let it go when Honda decides to fix or replace the unit! It's a shame when the Honda dealer tries to plug in an address and it doesn't take him to it. I want a system that works as well as an old portable unit or Honda can buy back the vehicle under the lemon law. You can keep what you want. I wish you well. I will be well and happy when Honda fixes it.
    Yeah, let it go. Next time, just drive down the road with $2,000 worth of Franklins and throw them at people. That would be a lot more fun :P
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Technically, I think it would be more like $1,000 worth of Franklins, since the cost of the Nav includes other integrated functions.

The thing is, if you look at other car threads about Nav, you find the same kinds of complaints. Most car systems don't perform as well as the small portable systems when it comes to accurate navigation - not a surprise, given that fitting a function within a larger vehicle (and one made by a third party most of the time) will not compare to a primary, stand alone function made by a company that specializes in only that function. It's why car stereos usually don't sound as good as home theatre systems. It's why the GPS on my smart phone isn't as fast as my Garmin. That's how it goes.

Now that I have said that, I fully expect my 'O5 Ody to come apart as soon as I back out of the garage. :D
    Technically, I think it would be more like $1,000 worth of Franklins, since the cost of the Nav includes other integrated functions.

None of which can you get without the NAV, so you still have to blow 2g's. I really like the big screen for the backukp camera and navigating XM radio. Voice commands are useless to me. The sad part is, as much as I hate this NAV I would probably still buy it again just because I'm a sucker. While the POI's database is horrible and some mapping/roads are goofy, it still works a decent amount of the time. And the Garmin I keep in my truck works/runs nearly flawless comparatively speaking, but the lack of intergration annoys as well.

Yes, other systems are as bad or worse. The system in my wife's GX470 is far worse than the Honda system. But she never uses it for ah-hem....lack of technical "training". She has a Garmin stuck to the windshield while her very expensive factory nav screen sits there dark. The system I had in a previous Audi was actually pretty good in terms of POI's and mapping, but the overall functionality wasn't as good as Honda.

That being said, if I was having some sort of operation problem as some folks are having (map is in wrong place, system hangs, etc) I would be taking Honda to task on it. I can live with a crappy built system more so than one that won't even work properly within its crappy capacity :P
  • samisami Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Honday Odyssey. So far I am very happy with it. Its navigation system is working great but needs updating with latest maps. Does anyone know how I can get the GPS system updated with the latest software?