Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

1282930313234»

Comments

• Honda's New Navigation System: First Look
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/09/hondas-new-navigation-system.html

I bought a 2011 Crosstour this past summer, Despite being the most expensive accord yet, Honda stuck me with the older navi operating system. Does anyone know if the latest navigation DVD being sold at hondanavi.com has this latest OS?

If it does I might be tempted to buy the DVD just for the new OS.
  • Hi I have a Honda Odyssey 2005 EXL , I left the lights on over night and the Battery died, I received a jump but now the GPS is not working. The screen reads wait 10 minutes for signal but nothing happens. Does anyone know what may be the problem?
  • My frustration is with the navigation database or the way you can use the system to find something near by. Why, when you search by name (e.g. Wal Mart) does the system return addresses/locations hundreds or thousands of miles away from your current location, yet you can enter an address (if you know the address) and the system takes you there? If you can enter an address for a Wal Mart and the system knows the location, why can't the system present you with all nearby Wal Mart locations when you inquire by "Wal Mart"? I have a portable Garmin GPS (which costs a fraction of the price of a built-in Navi system on my Odyssey) and can enter the same query ("Wal Mart") which returns results of all local Wal Marts (wal marts nearest my current location), no matter where I am in the country. The Honda Navigation system seems unable to perform this simple task. This is just one example, type in "Target" or any other store name and you will get the same results (the system will present locations hundreds or thousands of miles away from your current location when there may well be places near your current location). One of the benefits of a navigation system is not only getting directions to an address you enter but for the system to help you navigate to places nearest your location without having to know the address.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Read through some earlier posts on this forum. I posted the instructions to get the information the way you want.
  • We have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 110,000 miles. Great vehicle. The Navi system has never been updated due to never having needed the change (nor having the change!) to do so. Now that we're in a new location, can a removed disc from a newer Odyssey that IS being updated be used in the older Odyssey. (2011 to 2000) Or what can be done to accomplish an update of the 2000 without breaking the bank??? We have used the original system with great satisfaction for all these years. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • I have a 2006 Odyssey Touring, and wanted to update the data DVD. DON'T buy a cheap "refurbished" DVD on eBay. I tried that and it re-set my system and then failed to upload. In the process apparently shorted a circuit board. Local dealer wanted $2,648.00 to replace. Sent the DVD drive to Alpine, who repaired for $358.00. Just reinstalled, and ALL IS WELL.

Have not been using the on-board system enough to know the pros & cons. I like the large screen, and - so far - have had few problems finding destinations. I have a MAGELLAN back up stand-a-lone. The built-in also provides the back up camera, compass on dash, and correct time on clock. So far, much prefer the built-in system.
  • Oddyssey 2011 touring does not have the latest data installed in GPS, original install during manufacture, sometime in 2010, it is now late 2012, NavTec says that there are multiple issues and there will be NO updates until late 2013. Meanwhile there are many changes to our highways, interchanges, points of interest etc. Other companys (Garmin for example) permits multiple updates per year to maps and other data. I have a letter from Honda basicly saying they are not going to do anything about the lacking data updates.
  • I bought a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite in September to replace my 2005 Odyssey EX-L. The car is great, but the navigation system maps are hopelessly outdated. I recently tried to use it in Clarksville TN to find my daughter-in-law's parent's house. Their subdivision is at least 5 years old and they have lived there for over three years. According to my Honda navigation system, their entire subdivision was an"unverified area". Fortunately, I had my trusty Garmin (with lifetime map updates) which found their address immediately. My 2009 Toyota Venza navigation system has never been updated, but also found their address immediately. C'mon, Honda, you can do better!!!
    Sounds like same old same old...Nav in our '05 Ody was out of date from day one by a large margin. Roads that had been there for 10+ years were absent. We now have a '12 MDX and so far the NAV has been far better than the prior Honda and the '11 Toyota Sienna we traded for the MDX. Particularly from a POI standpoint. Although these days it's far easier to ask Siri to find something or hit up any map on a smartphone for a quick reference. The wife uses the MDX Nav a lot though and so far no complaints which is quite something. I'd be surprised if there was a big difference between the Honda and Acura systems though. Maybe that neighborhood is just an anomaly.
  • I am trying to help a friend out who has a 2013 Ody with integrated GPS.

I have read the manual multiple times and searched the forums as well with no luck.

What do the blue five-sided icons with numbers in them represent?

Thanks, Patch
  • We have been seeing this error intermittently, along with a clicking noise as the NAV tries to read the disc. I even hear the clicking sometimes when the system is actually working. I installed the latest update over the summer. I'm going to try a DVD laser cleaning kit and I'll try cleaning the DVD. I'm just hoping it isn't a problem with the NAV.

Thanks.
  • Is it possible to restore a lost address book? We had some body work done recently and when my wife picked up the car her address book was wiped clean.

Thanks.
  • Have a 2013 Odyssey Touring. Set nav to maximum freeway enter address, nav system guides you shortest distance, not freeway. I had a 2010 model and it worked perfectly fine. Took it to the dealer and got no where, I have to go back. In the mean time has anybody had a similar problem ?
  • loncrayloncray Posts: 301
    Patch, what state are you in? I'm wondering if your five-sided coins aren't just local highway numbers. Virginia uses a rounded upside-down triangle for VA routes and the Ody navi shows them as such.
  • That is what I thought originally, but they seem to appear randomly. They change (different numbers on the same road) and a lot of them are just simple small streets in the suburbs, certainly not local highways.

Thanks, Patch
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    If they resemble this...
    ...they are county route numbers.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Yes I have same issue. it never takes the right route. highway is right in front of my appt and it take 6 turns to reach it. planning to take to dealership today
  • hfly1hfly1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Odyssey with the 2009 map disk. If I want to fully update my maps do I need to get all the disks from 2010 to 2014?
    No, just the newest. I did this once on our '05 Ody and it was a complete waste of money. Still roads missing that have been there for years and POI's were severely lacking. Google maps on smartphone is 100x better to find things. then just poke the address into the OEM nav.
  • th8th8 Posts: 4
    Yes, I just bought a 2013 Touring Elite. Paid alot for it but came with GPS data that is years outdated. What a huge disappointment. When I emailed my salesperson at Criswell, he blew me off.