Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Wondering if someone can help. I am considering buying a wagon, 1.8T and while reading the brochure it states that premium gasoline is recommended. Does anyone run regular unleaded, 87 octane and if so, how does the car run? Any mileage ratings? Thanks for the help.
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    Due to the fact that the 1.8T is a High Compression engine and will be better served by using the *good stuff*, you certainly will not "Hurt" the engine if you don't. However, it is important to bear in mind that what you save at the pump will probably be lost in terms of fuel economy or MPG.

Personally, I don't know that I would use *regular* in anything but a Geo Prism or Corolla,
    but test the 89 vs. 91 after the engine is broken in...
  • I jsut bought a 2003 Passat Wagon V6. I'm enjoying it. It's my first VW. It's taking me a while to get used to how much slower it is then my Maxima. But besides that... everything is great! My personal advice, really, is to not get a 4 cylinder. It is so much nicer to have a V6. at least! A friend has an Audi A4 1.8T and I just don't care for it. We both have Tiptronic, but you can tell the difference between the two.
    I too, just realized that the car asks for Premium gas (now $2.01 in the Bay Area!) I am just pushing 5K miles and I can't tell a difference between the cheap stuff. After reading today, I will consider Premium.
  • frapzoidfrapzoid Posts: 127
    True your Passat is slower than your Maxima but I have a feeling you can fit a lot more stuff in your Passat. I still have my BMW for autobahn cruising at high speed but I can fit more stuff in my Passat wagon.
  • The 1.8t is a good match with the manual transmission, but not with the auto.

In fact, it has very little turbo lag and an exceptionally broad torque band. Unfortunately, the auto transmission introduces lags, weight, and inefficiency and makes those cars much less of a pleasure to drive.

- D
  • I ve got the 1.8t with the tip and it isn't so bad if your are a regular driver.....it's not for the formula 1 trained proffesional stunt drivers that frequent the forum though. they insist on more performance and rightfully so..since they are proffesional drivers
  • I agree with everyone comments on the 1.8T tip. I drove a 100hp corolla for years, so most new cars seem better to me. I must confess that the turbo lag can be a little frustrating at times. I love driving manual but prefered an automatic because of trips where others may take shifts driving my car. Plus, it's great having the flexibility in case you need to have a hand free.

When I know I want smoother and better acceleration, such as freeway on-ramps, I definitely switch to the tip as it makes the car much more responsive and fun to drive.
  • feilofeilo Posts: 128
    One other facet is the Drive-By-Wire (DBW) - it "learns" your driving habits and adapts accordingly. I have almost 5K on my 1.8T Variant and DBW does affect the car's behaviour/throttle response.

On the other hand, I reckon I can get V6 performance (but not "suffer" the gas mileage penalty) from a 1.8T with a chip for a lot less $$$ ...
  • I placed an order for a passat wagon back in October and have been awaiting it's early February arrival as promised and documented. I received a call yesterday from the dealership and was informed that it is now scheduled for a mid to late April arrival. My current lease is up the first week of March. We were very excited to get the car we "wanted" which I have not been able to find in inventory anywhere. Any suggestions from the professionals out there?
  • I orderd mine in early Oct. my rep went into the system and looked for an "ordered car" for his inventory in the "order bank" on the way to production...he then changed the specs of the car to be built to the specs. I had requested, the change was accepted and a order # was issued. he then went in again and found one closer to a build date, he attempted to change the specs and the changes were accepted.. the care was built on 10/31/02 ( I think I ordered right at the beginning of the month) shipped to san diego arriving on 12/10/02 then shipped to hawaii and arriving around 1/12/03 I took delivery on maui on 1/28/03.......Maybe someone didn't REAllY order you a car...or the christmas holidays slowed the order down... you should had a commission # from your rep in which he can track the car from build date to delivery ( with a VIN# issued after build) If I could get it in that time frame in hawaii you should be driving you car now!
    If you contact me off line here I will try to check the status of your Variant...
  • skday1skday1 Posts: 13
    Any comments re. used vs. new? I am looking at a 2003 GL with 9,000 miles, auto, heated seats (thought they weren't available on the GL?), monsoon, and they will have leather installed. They are asking $22,900. I think I would have to pay $25-27k for a similar new car (GLS with leather). Also it is an "executive vehicle" - dealer said VW of America vehicle. Will this have been driven hard for its first 9k miles?

Thanks for any help. Also, dealer says they can't replace all four coils before purchase, only if one goes. Makes me a little nervous...
  • why buy used? money is cheep, dealers are unloading and you get a brand new GL with a full 4 yr warrenty!

I'm not sure how the leather will be added/at the cost of the side airbags?

if your like me, if it isn't my car I drive the hell out of it....if it's mine, well I baby it.....those who drove the gl may be the same...
  • just saw the coil mention get a new one with the new coils!....what do you mean he can't replace them for you......I smell somthing funny......
    "the executive" line is probably a little "enhanced also"
  • skday1skday1 Posts: 13
    What do you mean by enhanced?

The coils are definitely making me uneasy. My 9 year old, 150k Camry wagon has had nothing but maintenance issues, so while I can't wait to get a Passat, I guess I should wait for one with good coils.

The warranty would cover this car, though he said 50k 5 years (thought it was 4?).
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    Passat sedan is 0.27 Cd. Wagon is 0.32 Cd.
    60Months/60,000Miles covering any lubricated
    part that moves the car...

New Vehicle Warranty is 48Months/50,000Miles...

Coil issue will be covered seperately and for all
    cars in need of replacements...

Speaking personally, I get a new Passat every 4 months as a Demo, and have never had a coil problem. And, I have never heard from one of my customers being affected either...
  • enhanced meaning "executive" probably means any one who needed to drive the car did........
  • but then again I bought a 76 VW van from a dealership in 1982 and it had a nice paint job but it was their "parts" car or run around vehicle and that to date was the most touble free car I've owned.....tuned it up once in awhile changed the oil and that is it......until it rusted out.......so hey.....go where your heart takes you.,

the difference from used to is minimal so why not go new?
  • oh yeah and Guild dont' give me any trouble or I"ll fly over there and make you buy me lunch!!!!