Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Hi,

I have since contacted the MD of VW(UK) and the MD of the dealership. They are currently "investigating" the issue. VOSA (the UK vehicle and Operator Services Agency) say that the issue is not enough to warrant a recall although thay have informed me that a Service note went out to garages regarding this in September 2007, about a month after the USA. So much for my garage not being aware of it in December.

I am awaiting calls back from VW and the dealership to see how we progress this - I'll keep the thread updated.

Rod
  • I just bought a preowned 2005 Passat. What I have missing is the owners manual. Being a previous owner of a Jetta TDI wagon, I find they are quite similar but a few items onn the Passat are a mystery to me.

The first item: on the instrument panel, on the LED readout I have , on the top line above the temperture readout, I hr/min numbers indicating trip time I imagine. Is there more options I can access?

2nd item: On the sunvisor, driver side, I have a panel with 3 buttons. I press each one and a light indicates the selection. What is this panel for?

3rd item: In my TDI manual, synthatic oil is recommended. What is the recommended oil for the Passat? (Florida driving)

4th item: Where can I get a second key? (other than $250 dealer cost)

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
    Thanks
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    In order:
    1) Average MPG Ø, Instanteous MPG, Trip Odometer, Miles until Refill, and elapsed time - you can toggle these via the rocker switch at the end of the right hand (wiper) stalk. There are two sets of each of these items that I listed. One will reset if the car has been off more than 2 hours. The other won't reset until you tell it to, or until really high values have been hit. You can toggle between the two computers by pressing the rectangular button on the bottom edge of the wiper stalk. The rectangular button will also reset either computer, if you hold it in long enough.

2) That is the Homelink system. It can be used to open garage doors, turn on lights, etc. I don't have this so I can't tell you any more about it. Try here: http://www.homelink.com/home/global.taf

3) Say "yes" to syntheitc oil - and it must meet at least VW Spec 502.00 (look on the back of the bottle) or, even better, 503.01. Most readily available is Mobil 1 0w-40. Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (must say Made in Germany on bottle) may be available at Autozone in your market. Look for the specs on the back of the bottle. MAXIMUM oil change interval is 5,000 miles. Follow this or risk sludging (coking) your engine if it has the 1.8T engine.

4) Can't help on the key.

BTW, did you look in the slot under the steering wheel for the manual? That's where it's supposed to be. Good luck with the new car!
  • mdollmdoll Posts: 1
    We bought a Passat Wagon - 2.0T Turbo model in April and found out the next month we are having another baby. So we bought a minivan and are trying to sell the Passat. We paid close to 28k with options and I'm asking less than 20k now (it is in perfect/new condition with only 10k miles). It's not selling and I'm starting to wonder if I would have trouble giving this thing away. What a waste of money... almost 30% depreciation within 6 months. I will never buy another new VW again in my life.
  • lspivalspiva Posts: 49
    It is not a car's having a poor resale value. It's US economy in general. Consumers are spending less, that's why you can't sell it. You should have trade-in Passat for minivan.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Posts: 45
    I actually don't think they have had bad resale value either, at least in the past, I had a 2003 Passat GLS Avant(wagon) that I traded after 4 years and 50K miles...got 48% of original value. What state are you located in and what options do you have on yours? Thx.
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. I bought the car in spain and I am now in Ireland.
    First they said that I had to drive the car back to spain and get it fixed there (with a brake problem and 3 kids i the back !!) Anway, then they told me this was not a recall but a service, still waiting for their answer (ie from vw ireland).
    Did you have any luck with your letter?
  • In Canada we did have a recall that replaced the plnum filter, and in my case VW ended up paying for the towing, repairs to the brake booster, and rental car costs during the downtime. In all, I think VW Canada handled the situation well .. once they had been nudged. I did point out that the car had been deliberately crashed into a snow bank when the brakes failed, so that may have caught their attention.

Not sure i would want to drive to Spain to get it fixed. Is VW organised into sepaate operating ubits across the EU? That may be the problem. Easier for them to pass off to another business unit.
  • mochev70mochev70 Posts: 3
    I'm experiencing difficulties passing smog. I read that the egr valve can be cleaned, so I did. I also read that to check the egr valve, you should NOT be able to blow air through it unless vacuum is applied at the small port. I tried to blow air while drawing on the vacuum port and I couldn't.

Another article stated that to check the air injection pump, remove the hose at the egr valve and with engine running, air should be blowing through the hose. I tried this and there was plenty of air flow. With the engine running, I checked to see if the hose from the egr vacuum solenoid was drawing vacuum and didn't get an indication that it was at any rpm.

Before I spend a considerable amount of money on a new egr valve I need to know if the egr solenoid should be drawing the vacuum or does the port on the block where the egr valve mounts provide the vacuum necessary to allow the air to flow through it?
  • dslm09dslm09 Posts: 4
    Interested in ANY feedback...
    We are a family of four (two young boys) and really like the practicality of the above stated vehicle but I have never owned a VW (ok, I did have a '72 Westfalia back in the day) and need to be $ conscious (both now and with regard to future repairs).
    So..the specs: 97k miles, Black clothe interior, 4WD, ABS, 2.8L, CC, A/C, Tiptronic Auto Transmission, power windows and locks, sun roof and luggage rack.
    clean title, no accidents and clear car fax. Body in excellent condition, inside is very clean. Seller is asking $4900...
    Anyhow, like I said, I could really use some advice.
    Thanks in advance!
    Dave
    btw, what does CC mean??
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    As an option, "CC" usually means cruise control.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ncsebancseba Posts: 14
    CC is almost certainly cruise control (I can't think of anything else it would be).

We have a GLX 2000 4motion Passat wagon (that's a higher trim level) that we bought used about 4 years ago and we have really loved it.It's very comfortable and convenient for us and our toddler now, and the drivers seat adjusts nicely to both me and my husband although he is 6'4" and I am 5'2". We have had a couple of expensive fixes (catalytic converter, new timing belt, valve cover gaskets) this year which weren't great for our budget but to be expected considering the age of the car, so keep that in mind for budgeting. You will also need to budget for all regular maintenance if you want to keep it going, VWs don't thrive well on neglect.

Take a long test drive and see how comfortable you feel with it, look at the maintenance and repair records of the current owner, and have an independent mechanic with VW experience check it out to see if any big fix seems pending. For price, see what Edmunds True Market Value appraiser thinks.

Good luck with your decision!
    thanks, that makes sense. But I've seen something about VW Passat CC, is this something that just describes the model?
    Thanks for the input. It sure is a nice driving vehicle. Going to have my mechanic look at it monday.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You are right. It means "Comfort Coupe." :)

Sometimes it is listed as a separate model and sometimes it is considered a trim level of the Passat.

Edmunds lists it as a separate model (see link), but further confusing whether it is a Passat or a separate model is this introduction to Edmunds' review at that same link:

The 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC is not a Passat for the hearing-impaired. Instead, the name stands for Comfort Coupe, but it's not a Passat coupe either -- it has four full doors. No, the CC is a sleeker, restyled version of VW's midsize sedan, intended for folks who want something more stylish and different than the typical family four-door. What's in a name, anyway?

Hope this helps. A little. :D

Pat
  • Does anyone know if you can get a replacement wheel emblem which is missing on my new 03' Passat wagon that I just bought?
  • Thanks a bundle...Just what I am looking for. :) ..now if I can just find a cheap version of the owner's manual or a cheap/free ( < $25 ) down load.. :confuse: