Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• jazvanjazvan Posts: 106
    Compared to a Honda Civic for example I think you are correct and you are more likely to have more of the "small to medium size" problems like you stated. I think the major powertain items though are at least as good as Civic from my observations. Then again, you do get a bumper to bumper warranty and a 60/100K mile powertrain warranty with $100 deductible in my case. I'm not sure what the deductible is currently. The only downside I have is now people accuse me of going "NASCAR" becuz it's a Ford.

-Jaz
  • carglowcarglow Posts: 91
    Well I currently own an 05 Corolla LE, but I could use the space the Focus Wagon provides.

Do you think the Focus Wagon would compete favorably with the Corolla in terms of ride quality?
  • thaicatthaicat Posts: 19
    carglow; I too own a Corolla, mine is an 03 Sport, Last week I took a Focus Wagon and a Mazda 5 and my Corolla on a test drive down the exact same roads, one right after the other. The Mazda was the clear looser in this test, and the Focus seemed a little stiffer than my Corolla but not sharp and jarring as the Mazda was. I have a bad back and was able to find a very comfortable position in short order. Now bear in mind that this was only a 50 min test drive, so over the long haul....????? I love my Corolla but desperately need more cargo room and the Wagon is on the short list right now and will probably be my next vehicle. Just hope it is as comfy after 12 hours as it was after 50 min....lol

Hope this helps
    Thai
    Thanks for the input, thaicat

Wow ... that's surpising I thought the Mazda5 would outperform both the Corolla and Focus Wagon.

The FW is the perfect size for my needs I really don't want a minivan. The FW seems to have considerable more room than the Matrix and the rear seats fold flatter ( I think ... can someone confirm this?)

The deal on the FW with the family plan and rebates puts an SES with a MSPR of $19,400 for $15,100.

My biggest concern about the FW at this point is resale value.
    carglow; well.....the folks over on the Mazda5 Forum weren't happy with the review I gave of my test drive, but I was honest, honest, honest!!! There were 2 things that I was negative about and that was the comfort of the seats (and that is a personal thing after all) and the fact that in order to get cruise control, I would have to get the Touring model and this gets you 17 in tires, moonroof, some fancy stereo system and so on...... Everything else about the vehicle, I loved....:-))) It handles like a dream, is really a sharp looker, the sliding doors are awesome, BUT, if I am crippled when I get to Florida coming from Ontario, then the sharp looking wheels are a moot point...????

The FW rear cargo area is flatter than anything else we have seen and the floor is perfectly even, whereas in the M5, there are nooks and crannies and gaps but it too is flat.

We also do not want to do the SUV or minivan thing and the selection of wagons is poor, to say the least. So it is certainly looking like FW is my next car.

As for pricing, I am Canadian, so not sure what you mean by rebates and family plans? but the cost here is lower than the M5 would be, for sure. And again, I agree the resale is poor, BUT sometimes we have to do what we have to do in order to get what we want, if that makes sense. For us, we would rather take a hit on resale, than go with the majority, and get the gas guzzling SUV or a minivan.

Thai
    In Canada you get the Yaris/Vitz hatchback don't you? Is that too small?

I'm still undecided I still have to consider a Matrix. I'm scared to get the double whammy with trading in my Corolla and poor resale value of the Focus SW.

I believe the Focus is a much improved car, but I'm not sure the general public recognizes that so resale value is going to suffer.
    No we don't have the Yaris/Vitz....had to do a Google to see what it was and it looks like an Echo that we get here and yes that would be too small.

Not sure how much cargo area you need but you will be very disappointed in the Matrix if you need what the Focus offers! There is no comparison at all. we looked, believe me as I would prefer to stick with the Toyota BUT they just don't make what we need.
    Yeah it looks like the Matrix has enough length, but it doesn't have enough height.

Still want to check out the Chevy HHR too.
    Oh my gosh....this is new to me!!!!
    This is such a cool vehicle...:-))))
    Have to do more research on it such as pricing, cargo area, gas mileage, etc.
    Have you done this yet on the HHR?
    Yes ... they have info here at Edmunds and there's also an HHR website. Google it, I don't think we're allowed to post websites here.
    Thanks!! Got a lot of reading to do..........
    Max cargo HHR = 63.1 cu ft
    FW = 73.7

-Jaz
    thanks for the info on this, jazvan. As you know, cargo is a HIGH priority for me. And while I am not too impressed with the resale of the FW, I am not liking the idea of the HHR being a first year model and now you say it has 10 cu ft less space......mmmmmmm
    You have a good point on the 1st year. Focus was basically an existing vehicle brought to North American manufacturing and it took a couple years to get it reasonably reliable. I would think Chevy HHR will be comparable.

For me cargo was also high priority. We were looking at MPV's, Outbacks, mostly cars that were almost a foot longer then FW, and were really surprised when we started measuring inside the FW. Then we saw it had the 220lb rated roof rack which is at a height where I can actually use the rack. Then I realized we can sleep in the FW while camping if need be (45" almost as wide as the big minivans)... and I can easily fit it in the garage at 178". The footprint is about the same as a Civic, just a few inches longer.

As for resale, of course the longer you own the car the less this will matter.

-Jaz
    I believe that it was you that suggested I take a tape measure and compare the vehicles that I had on the short list?? I did this and was VERY surprised, and so were the dealers....LOL.

While I think that the HHR is a very cool looking vehicle, we are almost 100% decided on the FW at this point. It just seems to have ALL that we need, while giving us GREAT mileage, the size of vehicle is what we want to drive around town, the roof racks and very reasonable cost.

Thai
  • raabooraaboo Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree more. We're buying a 2005 wagon this week, and I was SHOCKED by how ugly the dash is. I have a 2000 sedan and I love the dash. *sniff*

The sales rep said "I hated it at first, but you'll get used to it."

And the plastic/vinyl interior is totally cheap. BUT...so is the price of the car. :)

The value for me is under the hood on this one, and in the cargo space.
    Hey, congrats. It's a smart choice. The new dash is probably a better layout, I just really like the flair of the old one. As much as I like my 04, you are also getting bigger brakes.
    BTW I'm finding all sorts of neat tricks like how to disable and enable the seat belt chimes. Keep us posted on how everything goes.

-Jaz
    Jaz-Am going to order my 05 wagon probably this afternoon and would love to know all the neat tricks you have discovered......please share. :D

Thai
    First of all, always wear your setbelts.

From another site:

#Before starting, make sure that:

# The partking brake is set.
    # The car is in Park(automatic), Neutral(manual).
    # The ignition is OFF.
    # All doors are closed.
    # The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
    # The parking and headlights are OFF.

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.

2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
    Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.

4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.

5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
    After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.

Procedure not recommended for people who need the seat belt reminder for themselves or passengers.
    Thanks Jaz. Have printed this out for future reference.

Ordered my new wagon this afternoon and will have delivery next Thurs.... :D

Thai