Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• As you look at the firewall at the passenger corner there is a 2.5"diameter black cannister with a stem coming off of it that has a green screw on cap. This is the evaporator service port you are looking for.
  • jazvanjazvan Posts: 106
    Wilcut52. Thanks for the positive contributions. This is what we need and what I think this forum should be all about - issues and answers. Every car has issues and the more popular it is the more problems crop up. I think it's a great car and the wagon is an exceptional design. As a reminder that no car is perfect I may note that I rented an 05 Toyota Corolla for a week recently and really thought it was subpar in many ways - for example the steering wheel was crooked! - not quite perpendicular to the driver and the crusie control layout is not as logical as the Ford unit. Careful, put your wipers on and you may be accidentally hitting the wrong stalk and increasing your speed! :confuse: Steering feel was not nearly as tight as the Focus. BTW they used the same Focus rack and pinion steering unit in the FordGT ($200K). What I'm saying is I like the german Ford design details. It was afterall the most popular car in the world for many years.

Jaz
  • I have had my 2005 Wagon since May. The radio in the car killed my battery. It was a faulty radio. That was 6 weeks ago and i still do not have a radio in the car. Also my Wagon came with out a dip stick. Is this standard practice for Ford now..... had to pay $45 to get a new one. I enjoy the car but would enjoy it more with a radio. It will be replaced by warranty but 6 weeks and still waiting. :sick: Hope the issues i have had are only with this car and not standard for Focus Wagons.
  • rdyrdy Posts: 36
    Looking for a stick shift - Ford tells me there are no SES sticks in Oregon and WA - period.
    Seems curious...as stick is standard on both trim levels.
    What will I be giving up going with SE over SES ? Doesn't seems like much.
    Thanks
    rdy
    You can actually check inventory yourself if you have a good internet connection and a little time. THere is a Ford Direct site, you plug in 2005 or 2006 Focus and then a zip code and it shows all inventory within a certain radius. I found the Seatlle and Portland areas had 5-speed wagon inventory when I was checking earlier this year, but it is always changing.
    Let me know if you need the site address and I'll get it. IMO the stick is worth looking for.
    It gets better MPG in the real world and it accelerates better.

Jaz
    That site is forddirect.com. I took a quick look and saw (5) 5-speed SE's at 2 dealers in the Seatle area. Typically 5-speeds will be SE. SES will be rare as you are finding. . The dealer of course can do a search much quicker then we can so they are probably correct that there are no SES in OR or WA. Anyway, looks like the difference between SE and SES is not that much. I might sugest take a look and see if upholstery level is different.

-Jaz
  • rdyrdy Posts: 36
    Thanks for replies.
    I did check FordDirect.com. There are several local SES AT's available.
    The SE has no cruise control, tachometer, fog lamps, on -steering wheel controls, tilt steering etc - So its quite a difference. A local dealer told me there was 1 stick SES in CA.
    So I think I'll pass.

rdy
  • We have a 2005 Focus wagon. Installed an after market locking gas cap. After about 100 miles the Check Fuel Cap light went on. We've tighten, loosened, and light won't go out. Put old cap back on and Light still comes on. Owners manual says if you drive with light on too long the Check Engine light will come on. If it does can we drive with that on forever or do we need to get something changed? If so, what? Thanks for any help.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    by installing an aftermarket gas cap, you probably cheesed off the obdII. since you reinstalled the original gas cap, wait a couple of days. the light may go out. after that you migh try disconnecting the battery for a while.
  • vera5vera5 Posts: 3
    I havea 2003 wagon and about a month ago idling seemed out of wack.I went away for 10 days and on return my aircon is not working at all. Did you have similar idling difficulties?
  • Sorry about posting without having to b***h about something (like no dipstick on a new car and then paying for one--spare us, plz...) so here goes. My wagon gets ~ 22 mpg putting around and ~30 on the highway. Beats 12 mpg. It has the fat tires, which were great on the snow/ice up in North Dakota (Pirellis). They wore out before 20K and I got a great deal on some Falkens. Pirelli: great handling tire, but you won't get 20k out of them (unless you don't mind driving around with cupped tires or the wear bars showing). And I drive mellow. Seats are great for long drives, and I've done several--got about 22k on it now. AC works like a champ, as does the heat. Yes, the leather and heated seats were great up in NoDak. I got it fully loaded (less sunroof) for $16k back in '03. Nice looking wagon, cool wheels, handles like my old GTI and is zero maintenance. Sorry about you folks who have bad cars--I've never owned a bad car, even when I owned a POS Vauxhall in England. Luck? I think not. Karma. Feel the love. Enjoy your Focus and quitchabichin--just drive, baby. :shades:
  • esattesatt Posts: 1
    Hi

Read this;
    http://www.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannen_und_maengel/pannenstatistik_2004/untere_Mittelklas- se/default.asp?ComponentID=113326&SourcePageID=113507%230

Ford Focus second after one Mercedes type!! Even Toyota is behind. Toyota has been years at the 1. place.
    Read also how the statistics are collected (german). As far as I know only those faults that leave your car on road are calculated.

ADAC = private German Road Service

Esa
  • This is a site to list issues. I don't consider mine B****In as you put it. If you are accustomed to purchasing new vehicles with missing parts good for you. I am not. And to buy a new car and have no radio in it for going on two months is not my idea of service either. You are lucky you have no issues.... and have never had issues. If we were all so lucky we wouldn't need web sites like this one to discuss them.
    Rapidrick: Agreed 100%. Nothing compares for utility in a small package. Steering is the most precise of anything I have ever driven and handling and ride quality are excellent. Also max 36mpg. The Toyota Corolla I recently drove was relatively junky IMO and that was not a wagon.

Esatt: I am not too surprised. Focus won about every award possible in Europe and is very highly regarded there.
    I have heard said it is considered above VW and below BMW.

Noradio: Sorry for the bad luck and the absent quality control, but at least they are easy fixes. This is a warranty/dealer issue and there are some bad dealers. I would suggest dealing with regional Ford rep if the dealer is dragging. If there is still a problem, fill out a small claims form and take it in to the delaer, 99% of the time they will get serious when they see you are ready for action. Sorry you have to go through this hassle for such obvious omissions.

-Jaz
  • Hello, need some help, looked through the manual and on the net and apparently there is supposed to be a plastic thumbscrew to release the casing for the rear tail lights....I cannot find it in my vehicle. When I open the hatch I have 2 screws holding the casing. I took the screws out but the casing is still held by something..HELP Please. Thanks D
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Focus won about every award possible in Europe...

Okay, but isn't the european Focus different from the US version?
    They are very close. Having seem both they are visually almost indistinguishable to a layman. Emblems and turn signal details are different. Euro models have availability of sub 2.0 liter engines and diesels and the springs and shocks are a little higher rate. INteriors and option packages are somewhat different. But Euro never had the 2.3. IN the current year model though the Euro Focus is totally redone and only the US hangs on to the old design. TTBOMK

-Jaz
  • bent1bent1 Posts: 1
    Gotta agree with you about the value of the Focus Wagon, bought a 04 with all the bells and whistles for a work vehicle to replace a Astrovan that was stolen.

First thing I did was replace the springs with shorter and stiffer ones from H&R which made the "Souris Gris" (grey mouse) handle like they do in Europe.

Then I replaced the speakers with Boston Pros including the separate tweeters. replaced the airfilter with a K&N free flo one and reducted the cool air intake, synthetic oil, jumpered the lights so I can use the foglights on hi beam.

Now I got tunes and handling.

Not a problem that was not handled under warranty, seat heater drivers side and an O2 sensor R/R last week.

Thats it, get in and go.

Better than my Mini Cooper S and not as quiet as my BMW 7 series :)
  • I replaced my rear brake light a few months ago. After taking out the 2 screws that hold the casing, it was just a matter of using gentle force to remove it. There is some kind of a small latch somewhere on it, but it came right off.
  • Anyone know at what mileage Ford recommends timing belt replacement for the z-tek?
    Thanks