Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2010 Nissan 370Z Roadster Full Test

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
We want to drive the 2010 Nissan 370Z Roadster fast and slow at the same time. We want to do things quickly in the 370Z convertible, because it's a pretty serious driver's car, a convertible that doesn't instantly remind you that it's the less good version of an athletic rear-drive coupe.

2010 Nissan 370Z Roadster Full Test

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• kosmo69kosmo69 Posts: 2
    I may have to buy it.
    i kinda wish the rear wheel arches were slightly larger to offset the bulk.
    i hope they make a nismo version as well.
    the rear antenna has gotta go!
  • The braking problem mentioned in the test happens in all of the 370Z Sport models with the Akebono sport calipers. Once the braking system warms up, the ABS goes a little nuts. The warmer things get, the worse it gets. If you do 3 60-0 stops (or equivilant) and then let the car rest for 10 minutes the next stop will be guaranteed to be longer and jerky. I tried to discuss the problem with the dealer but they weren't very helpful.

That's really the only serious problem with the vehicle, other than that it is a dream to drive and loves to be driven hard. The seats are also surprisingly comfortable for long drives.
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Posts: 26
    I am considering purchasing a roadster as a "weekend" car this spring. I have narrowed it down to two cars - a new 370Z roadster or a Porsche Approved Boxster (2007-08 or an older Boxster S). Both the 370Z and Boxster have similar performance (both way more than I will ever demand) and are about the same price to purchase. While there "is no substitute" for a Porsche, I am concerned about the IMS issues and cost of ownership -- specifically the cost of maintaining the car. Since this will be a luxury purchase, I really don't want any hassles.

I have been a life-long Z fan and am leaning that way. I also think that the Z will be more reliable and less to maintain. However, I can't ignore the fact that a well-equipt Z comes close to new Porsche territory and costs more than a low mileage Boxster with a great warranty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Both are great cars, but have their pluses and minus. The Boxster is quieter than the Z and has a more subtle suspension making it a more comfortable car. The Z picks up a lot of road noise on rough surfaces which can bother some people. Servicing the Boxster is very expensive due in part to where the engine is located, and due in part because it is a Porsche. Get used to $200 oil changes. After market parts are also considerably cheaper for the Z.

If you want a slightly biased opinion then go to the370z.com. The guys there are pretty honest and there are several ex-Porsche owners that will tell you why they changed. There is also 1 person that sold his 370Z to buy a Cayman, so there is always an exception to prove the rule.
  • After looking at the same two cars I chose the 370Z roadster over the Boxster. Many of the noise complaints go away with the roadster over the coupe. It a fair bit quieter than the coupe and comparable to the Boxster especially if you stay with the standard 18" tires. I drove both and after have lived with the roadster for over a month now I am happy with it.
  • howiebxhowiebx Posts: 20
    370Z 2010 Roadster Touring + sport package.
    Car has 1400 miles. Price = $32,000.
    Leather, Automatic, heated / cooled seats.

Big question - does the blind spot really pose a problem?
    Is the seat too confining with a winter coat on ?
    Thanks to anyone and all of you
    my miata lease is ending and the Z looks like a fun car.
  • Visit the370.com and do a search about the blind spot, I found I got used to it pretty quickly. You can also ask about the winter jacket. I wear a leather coat and it is just fine.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    How serious a winter are you talking about? The roadster is not meant to be a winter car anyway. Check the tires. If it has high-performance summer tires on it, you will definitely need to either get winter tires, or keep it garaged when it's too cold/snowy/icy.

I live in Northern Virginia, have a 350Z, and don't take it out if temps are predicted to be much below 45 degrees or so. That's what the other car is for. ;)

Personally, I almost never wear anything heavier than a light jacket. I use the seat heaters on cool days, and am perfectly comfortable. But if you are concerned about how the seat fits you with a heavier coat on, there's no substitute for taking it with you and wearing it on a test drive. Then you can really tell, for yourself, how comfortable you will be.
  • car_lovecar_love Posts: 27
    yea and it's only a serious problem if pushing it on a track. Otherwise on the streets it's pretty moot. They said in that same test that changing the pads and brake fluid a better after market brand fluids helped the life of the brakes in track situations. Just not enough airflow in the body design to cool off the brakes.