Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brand Problems Swept Under The Rug

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I'm not going to challenge his wife to a golf match either. Apparently with the Escalade jammed against the tree and he apparently groggy against the wheel she used a one of his clubs from the garage to smash in the back window.

Nice swing, ma'am. :shades:

/discussion: sudden unintended acceleration
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    :D

He was released from the hospital later the same day:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4693657
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,022
    Escalade cleared in Tiger wreck. Can't blame this one on GM. :sick:

Tiger's story
  • Wait you are using TMZ the gossip blog as a source? I think I will wait till a real news agency says something or till the police release their report.
    Not what you would call a stellar source. Hope he is OK, still my favorite golfer of all time.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Mine too..we agree on yet another point. :surprise:
  • that Tiger was leaving to go shopping at a very early time (2:30AM) to avoid being spotted and mobbed. He was hurrying and clipped a fire hydrant on the way out of his property.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,259
    >that the Escalade

Why wasn't he driving a Buick?
  • He doesn't have that endorsement deal anymore.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,925
    I hope it is not true but there is a report on "Drudge" that Tiger's injuries were caused by his wife and not the wreck. Supposedly she confronted him about rumors of an affair and then scratched his face, etc.

He was trying to get away from her in the truck but she broke out the window and caused him to hit the hydrant and tree, etc.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• Drudge and TMZ I am at a loss to say which one is less reliable.

Again till a real news agency actually puts something up with supporting facts and police reports I will be skeptical.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,754
    Actually TMZ has been extremely reliable and has built a huge reputation the past few years. They were the first to break the Michael Jackson death, for example. Other sources like CNN would not confirm it until they had "reliable" information. Apparently TMZ has a lot of "spies" all over the place and pride themselves on being accurate.

Note: I do not work for TMZ and am in no way affiliated with them, I just heard an interview or podcast or something that talked about their rapid evolution.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Another source that people have historically enjoyed slamming, is the Enquirer. Fact is--and I'm not proud to say this, but it's true--they are often dead-on correct in the past several years. For instance, it wasn't a network but the Enquirer that accurately reported the whole revolting John Edwards story.

Bill
    I agree. I would trust Drudge or TMZ a lot more that the N.Y. Times.

In today's world of "selective" reporting by "big mainstream media," if they don 't like a story or don't agree with it, then it goes unreported or gets spun beyond recognition. Your best bet to get all the news these days is on the internet.

For example, the N.Y. Times has not uttered one peep on what is being referred to as "climategate". Probably the biggest story on global warming ever. Their thinking is 20 years in the past where, if they did not report a story, then it just wasn't a story. This just doesn't work any more and that is why the Times is going broke. They have lost all their credibility and are not smart enough to figure it out.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,845
    I see about 16 stories with a "climate email" search at the NY Times.

There's 103 stories found when I do a search on "Climategate" there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, buried deep in the papers science section, etc. How about any headlines or front page stories about the implications? Send me a few examples of those please !

The 16 hits that you got are nearly all blogs from readers or from other sources rather than the Times. Where are their actual news stories and reporting from staffers?

I don't know, I don't "read" papers much anymore. Just the WSJ that my wife takes, and I usually don't read it everyday. I do Bing or Google News for my overview, and they'll aggregate a little bit of everything (unlike the push sites, that only link to stories they think will advance some editorial position - like the NY Times or Drudge - they're birds of a feather).

There's 75 climate stories just on Google this morning for example. And over 7,000 "auto brand" stories at the moment.

Like this one: :shades:

Car buyers display brand loyalties (Omaha.com)

But there's nothing in the story about people changing brands because of problems they had with something. Makes you wonder if all the news about car problems is overblown, like so many other news stories.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• xluxlu Posts: 457
    Some more bad news for Toyota:

1) Car and Driver magazine's 10 best cars list does not have any Toyota; while Ford has 3 (including Mazda).
    2) Motor Trend magazine named Ford Fusion Car of the Year.
    3) Toyota's consumer ratings in the Yahoo Auto continues to drop. The 2010 Camry and Corolla; the 2009 Corolla only gets 3.5 stars (which means 1/3 of the people are not happy with them). The 2009 Camry gets even lower 3 stars (which means 1/2 of the people are not happy). They are lower than most the American car ratings. More interestingly, almost all the posts with high ratings for Toyota got super low "helpful" rating from the readers of these posts while almost all the posts with low ratings for Toyota got very high "helpful" ratings from the readers of these posts. This indicates that the negative view on Toyota of the Yahoo Auto readers is much higher than the people who post reviews.

These are in addition to the old news:

4) Toyota's worldwide sales drop 31%
    5) Toyota lost 1.5 billion dollars in half year
    6) Toyota lost No. 1 automaker title in 2009 after being there for just 1 year
    7) Toyota produced 3.1 million cars but recalled 6 million cars in half year
    8) IIHS published the 2010 safe pick list; Ford (including Volvo) has 6 cars on the list; Toyota 0
    9) Consumer Reports give Toyota Camry V6 an average rating on reliability; while Ford Fusion gets the highest much better than average rating.
  • I see you posted this exact same post in the 2010 Camry forum and probably others.... Your preference for Ford is clear, however your posts have a very "anti wal-mart" anti corporate giant" mentality that does not bode well for a supposed non biased impression as demonstrated in your "down with Toyota" writings.
  • xluxlu Posts: 457
    I saw the same reply from you in other forum as well. Are you afraid of people telling the truth? Of course this post was related to Camry because Camry was the main model in the big 4 million car recall. Toyota kept covering up the bad designs which already claimed 19 lives until the consumers and the government pushed them to acknowledge their mistakes and take action in the big recall. But the fixes they have are still artificial and not to the potential root cause. We have to keep the heat on them. I'm not the only one. Just look at how many cover page stories in the recent LA Times newspaper.

BTW, I'm not a Ford fan.
    I think you are more likely to find the Whole story via a link from Drudge than any other source. Google is run by a very liberal bunch and will not help you find what you want without digging deep. Google tries to direct you to the links they approve of. NY Times is a joke. Not worth bending over to pick up if it was free.

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Yes, post this in a few more places, taking up people's time and space. Your first three are a big laugh - who cares? I should remind you that 2007 MT car of the year was the CAMRY, which is the same generation as is on the market right now. The others are either the similar to other companies, or not the whole story. What about the rest of the Ford line-up #9, etc. etc.
  • NY Times is a joke.

Wow, something I can agree with.

I think the issue is that "opinion" pieces should be in the appropriate section, not on the first page of the Sunday paper.
    Drudge tries to direct you to the links he approves of. Try Bing.

Even better, let's try to stick to cars. :)

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    Why do you keep cross-posting stuff like this? The other poster has a point, you seem to choose only negative stuff about Toyota, so the fact that you then cross-post it across many discussions which are only tangentially related to your specific topic makes it seem like you are conducting a smear campaign.

Best to post those thoughts in the "Toyota decline" discussion if you must continue down the single track you are on, IMHO.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I agree totally with nippononly. It's actually against Edmunds' policy to cross-post in many different threads, as it is akin to spamming.
    Did anyone even notice that he's lying?

Toyota owns a big share of Subaru and they put FIVE models on the IIHS list:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/

He included Mazda for Ford. Let's see...

On November 18 2008 Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company

Toyota owns a bigger share of Subaru (from Edmunds):

Japan is buzzing with news that Toyota plans to raise its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company, from 8.7 percent up to around 17 percent

Myths and misinformation.

Feel free to quote me in other threads where those myths were propagated.
  • You expect someone with an agenda to tell the truth or at the very least abstain from lies of omission?

Take a look at what passes for Civil discourse in this country now none of that surprises me anymore.
    Not to mention IIHS hasn't even tested half the models out there yet, so many Toyotas were not even eligible.

Where is the "roll eyes" emotorcon?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    True, and I have heard that Toyota has at least 2 models that would qualify. It's too bad Toyota didn't offer them up before the latest IIHS release.
This discussion has been closed.