Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brand Problems Swept Under The Rug

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I think you are more likely to find the Whole story via a link from Drudge than any other source. Google is run by a very liberal bunch and will not help you find what you want without digging deep. Google tries to direct you to the links they approve of. NY Times is a joke. Not worth bending over to pick up if it was free.

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Yes, post this in a few more places, taking up people's time and space. Your first three are a big laugh - who cares? I should remind you that 2007 MT car of the year was the CAMRY, which is the same generation as is on the market right now. The others are either the similar to other companies, or not the whole story. What about the rest of the Ford line-up #9, etc. etc.
  • NY Times is a joke.

Wow, something I can agree with.

I think the issue is that "opinion" pieces should be in the appropriate section, not on the first page of the Sunday paper.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,912
    Drudge tries to direct you to the links he approves of. Try Bing.

Even better, let's try to stick to cars. :)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Why do you keep cross-posting stuff like this? The other poster has a point, you seem to choose only negative stuff about Toyota, so the fact that you then cross-post it across many discussions which are only tangentially related to your specific topic makes it seem like you are conducting a smear campaign.

Best to post those thoughts in the "Toyota decline" discussion if you must continue down the single track you are on, IMHO.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I agree totally with nippononly. It's actually against Edmunds' policy to cross-post in many different threads, as it is akin to spamming.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did anyone even notice that he's lying?

Toyota owns a big share of Subaru and they put FIVE models on the IIHS list:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/

He included Mazda for Ford. Let's see...

On November 18 2008 Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company

Toyota owns a bigger share of Subaru (from Edmunds):

Japan is buzzing with news that Toyota plans to raise its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company, from 8.7 percent up to around 17 percent

Myths and misinformation.

Feel free to quote me in other threads where those myths were propagated.
  • You expect someone with an agenda to tell the truth or at the very least abstain from lies of omission?

Take a look at what passes for Civil discourse in this country now none of that surprises me anymore.
    Not to mention IIHS hasn't even tested half the models out there yet, so many Toyotas were not even eligible.

Where is the "roll eyes" emotorcon?
    True, and I have heard that Toyota has at least 2 models that would qualify. It's too bad Toyota didn't offer them up before the latest IIHS release.
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    Not to mention IIHS hasn't even tested half the models out there yet, so many Toyotas were not even eligible.

Where is the "roll eyes" emotorcon?

"Toyota was notified in January that roof strength would be a new test. The IIHS asked automakers to flag any vehicles they'd like to have included. Toyota had plenty of opportunity to flag other Toyota, Lexus or Scion models — including being present at roof strength tests at the IIHS facility — but choose not to. So IIHS assumed that there were no models that met the new guidelines. If there are other vehicles Toyota would want to include they were able to submit them at that time or at any time in the process — including right now."

indeed where is the "roll eyes" emotorcon?

http://jalopnik.com/5407648/iihs-fires-back-tells-toyota-to-put-cars-where-its-m- outh-is
    That still doesn't mean they failed the test.

You know what they say about the word "assume".
    Plus it should be noted that the IIHS uses a Good-Acceptable-Marginal-Poor rating scheme for all of its tests, including the new roof strength test. A "fail" in my mind would mean Poor, Yet, the majority of vehicles tested so far scored a Good or Acceptable, including the ones not specifically submitted for testing by the manufacturers:

Midsize moderately priced cars (Camry leads this list.)

Small SUVs

Minicars
    Yaris leads the Minicars list as well.

Camry gets a Good on everything except the headrests, and they're in the process of adding those (Sienna got it this year).

I wouldn't bet against the Camry making it on the 2011 Top Safety Picks list.
    That still doesn't mean they failed the test.

You know what they say about the word "assume".

actually, much like an exam, if you dont show up you fail. Face it...toyota knew they would fail and figured it would be much easier crying foul from the sidelines. If toyota was so sure they could pass they would have flagged their cars to be tested. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Not necessarily -- it could mean the marketing (or accounting) people won out over the engineers.

We shall see in the near future -- I'd bet the engineers will have their way now.
    I disagree. This situation is different.

It's like being a straight A student, then they add one new course requirement after you earned your diploma and graduated with honors (the 2009 Top Safety Pick award).
    well that is a nice spin on things, but if this were true then nobody would have passed the testing. instead we have toyota crying that the rules changed :cry: .I got bad news for you...they changed for everybody
    Good thing they had 5 models make the list, then. ;)

Ford 6, Toyota 5.

But wait, what's this? Headline from Automotive News, today in fact (timing is everything):

Geely, Ford agree on Volvo intellectual property

The deal is being finalized, and if so Ford is down to having...the Taurus and MKS.

Toyota 5, Ford 2.

And the Camry is an active headrest away from being added to that list.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    It is still a mere Camry. A very blah vehicle with nothing to excite the driver. Thankfully now it is safe. Though I question the whole headrest thing. I just do not get all the building a fortress of air bags around myself. It gives people a false sense of security. You hit a bank or a tree at slow speed you still go to the hospital. You crash at high speed with the throttle wide open you burn to a crisp. No thanks give me a big substantial vehicle to drive. I will match up your Camry to my Sequoia in a crash test at any angle.