Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suburban 150,000 mile service & rear differential

biglubiglu Posts: 7
edited May 10 in Chevrolet
2002 tahoe

what service should i have done to my tahoe at 150,000 miles and how much should i pay?

i hear a clank when i give it gas. someone said i need to change the rear differential fluid???

thanks

Comments

• whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    Hi, I don't know where to post this, but since it relates to a differential I'm putting it here. WE have a 2004 Tahoe w/ 50,000 miles. Apparently I should be changing the trans fluid and the differential.

WHat does a differential do anyhow? We live in NJ, have used acutal 4wd about 3 times, and use the "auto" setting when it rains heavily, so maybe once a month or less. Does usage affect when the differential fluid should be changed?

Jiffy Lube also wanted me to do the coolant, but the coolant pump (i think that's what they called it) went bad at 38,000 and was changed under dealer consideration, so I think the coolant would have been changed then as well. They also wanted to clean my fuel system, saying it should be done every 15k.

I know the trans fluid must be done, what about the differential, fuel system etc?

We are always hesitant to mess with things when they are going fine, sometimes problems just get created!

Also, the belt squeals from time to time, we had it looked at and he said it seems fine, that the noise sometimes happens as it ages. Mechanic also had to clamp a heat shield which was making a rattling noise and adjust a brake caliper that was rubbing. Said we still don't need new brake pads. I was amazed they would last so long!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to have a look at Maintenance Schedule.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    WHat does a differential do anyhow?

When you make a turn in your vehicle, the wheels on the outside of the turn have to cover more distance and, therefore, need to make more turns. The differential is a set of gears that makes that possible without your tires slipping.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.