Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And you'd be right. At a BMW track event a couple of us Subaru Crew members attended, lap times varied from 1:19 to 1:29, all in the same car!

I was in the 1:21 range, still a couple of seconds off the instructors' pace. 2 seconds is a life time on a track, though.

-juice
  • chuckb5chuckb5 Member Posts: 7
    Juice, Read your analysis on after market equiptment and I am impressed by your knowledge. One question I have is that will the sway bars improve the Bean considering the way it is set up or is it a waste of effort? I will be getting a Bean the first of July and was wondering after your post if it would be worth it. If so, will the warranty suffer? Any thoughts?
    ChuckB
    It should not affect the warranty.

How aggressively do you drive? If you feel like the Bean leans too much in corners, a sway bar would address that. A fatter rear sway bar also reduces understeer, so it can feel sportier, more neutral.

But understeer can be desirable in that it is very predictable and safe, even if a little boring. So you decide which you prefer.

In all honesty, the Bean is so luxurious I doubt you'll push it that hard. The GT is sportier so a sway bar upgrade seems more natural. Just my 2 cents' worth.

-juice
  • heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    Performance driving school sounds like a wonderful idea! I will look into it. Do you know of any near the Sacramento/ CA area?
    Heather
    Believe me, the Bean does lean! It leans in minor corners, you do not have to push it hard to feel it. I think the rear sway bar will help. It is a lot higher off the ground and even on small corners it has major body roll! Yes, my husband loves it! He took it over on Friday when I got my GT- Our trade-in 2001 OB sold already!!

Anyway, he is very happy with the Bean and loves the luxury feel to her. I am much more the sports car type and MUCH prefer the GT! At least we are both happy and tend to keep our cars for a very long time!
    Heather
  • jamessubie02jamessubie02 Member Posts: 7
    Other than an oil change at 3000K, what else is reccommended for the first maintenance? Don't want to get roped into paying an extra ten bucks for windshield washer fluid ....
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Just checking the fluids, tire pressure, etc. It should only cost you an oil change. Many dealers give the first one free when you purchase the car.

Greg
  • mtnshoppermtnshopper Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the good info on pop ups. I think the Chalet was the one I heard about before. I'm just dreaming of weekend trips into the mountains right now. Will probably wait until my warranty is up before I buy a pop up. But I'll be sure to read the manual closely about towing. Thanks again. Becky
  • oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    Hi,

I am coming up on 30000miles in my '01 Bean. Looking at what the dealer I use recommends, there is a long list of stuff they actually do (versus most services which consist mostly of inspections, not actual work). The list of items consists of:

coolant replacement
    brake fluid replacement (actully pressure bleeds out the entire system)
    pcv valve replacement
    replace transmission fluid
    replace differential fluid
    replace oil and filter
    replace fuel filter
    In addition to this list, there are a number of typical inspections.

I normally do all the work on my cars myself (except for stuff like alignments, ballancing tires, etc.). I also try not to mess with auto transmission fluid or coolant mostly because of not having a place to dispose of that stuff. My question to the group is:

For $450, wouldn't it be worth it to just let the shop do all this work?

If they truly replace all the stuff they claim, plus pressure bleed the brakes, my gut instinct is that $450 is not too bad a price. The flip side is, its still $450!

Any thoughts on this?

-r
    Heather: glad to hear about the happy ending.

Yeah, 3000 is just an oil change and the basic checks. At 7500 I would have the wheels rotated. If you DIY, wax the wheels to keep them clean.

r: if it's an auto, flushing the ATF is a difficult task you cannot do without the right machine, so I'd let the dealer do it. If it's a manual, you can drain/refill the tranny without much difficulty. I did most of that stuff myself.

-juice
  • kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Robert -

My view of "prepackaged" 30K/60K/90K service deals is that they're generally overpriced for what you get. I have used a nearby shop (a family-owned major franchise name) for nearly all my service for years with great success. I take the responsibility to make certain that all required maintenance is done - I do some myself (mainly oil changes and inspections at this point) - then the shop performs all the other items that I specify - in addition to an overall inspection/looksee at the same time. In part I do this because they are excellent mechanics who do good work at a fair price; in part because their location is much more convenient (than the dealer), and in part because I give them all my business (for all my cars), they treat me well. They've done the 7.5K, 15K, and will shortly do the 22.5K service (not including the oil changes) for no charge, and I'll have them do the 30K sometime next year. We talk the same language - and they know my level of mechanical skill - so there's effective communication. No reason you couldn't try to establish this relationship with a dealer, but my impression is that they have less flexibility in most cases. So I'd suggest you do everything you feel comfortable doing yourself - then find a shop that will do the rest at a fair price. $450!? I expect to pay less than $200 for what I'll have done (all the less frequent fluid changes, etc.)

And for you Seattlites who'd like to know where this shop is - just ask.

Cheers!

Ken in (about to be) sunny Seattle
    Ken,

I do exactly what you describe. Because this is my first Subaru, though, I don't have that kind of relationship established with a good Subaru dealer...yet. I do, however, have the kind of relationship you describe with a Honda dealer.

I normally would do most of the stuff myself, but, as Juice said about the auto tranny...some things are best done at a shop.

There are independent shops around that I could choose from, but most of them don't have some of the tools and gadgits that a dealer would...especially when it comes to special tools or oem parts. My preference is to stick with OEM when it comes to service and maintenance parts. Most independents would probably just use generic parts (ie brake pads, air filters, oil filters, etc.) On the list of replacement items, there is the PCV valve (trivial to replace but a costly part if I remember correctly) and pressure bleeding the brake system.

I could easily replace the brake fluid myself, but I would never be able to pressure bleed it.

Hmmmm.....

-r
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I encourage you to look carefully at what Subaru recommends in their manual. Do NOT go by a document, or recommendation made by the dealer. If you do, you'll spend unnecessary $$, contribute to petroleum consumption, and add to the waste disposal problem.
    Heather, I know you love those Michellins! I do as well, but, cannot afford to trade them out right now. I will have to wait until the stones wear out. My question to everyone is about tire size...

discount tire.com indicates that a plus zero size for the outback would be 235/60/16. According to a tire sizing chart, the tire would be approximately .6" taller in diameter and about .3" wider than the stock 225/60/16. Does anyone have any experience with this size tire in place of the stock? Does it fit well without looking like a doughnut? Would there be an advantage to the increased contact patch?

My speedo is already about 7% off (too slow) this would throw it off even more.

Here is a question for Heather: how much louder are the Pilot XGTs than the stock? Also, what tire size did you put on?

-r
    They don't seem any louder to me at all. 225/60/16 Outback and 205/55/16 GT.

P.S. Just found out from my car dealer loan that someone stole my identity, social security, name and date of birth and got lots of credit cards in my name and now my loan will not go through. So sad and digusted. I had the top credit rating score until now!
    Heather
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    how would you categorize the differences between the highly rated X1's and the Pilot XGT4's you went with?
    I'm really sorry to hear about the identity theft incident. More and more, I worry about that and the resultant mess to clean up. Good luck!
    Ron
    I have no clue what an X1 tire is. I went to www.tirerack.com and printed all the high performance all season tire reviews. I was going to get the Dunlaps A2 sports, since they reviewed the best, but my husband pointed out that many people said they lack road feel. Road feel is what I was after so we chose the Pilot XGT H4's it was down to the two tires. I have never had high performance HR rated tires before. All I can compare them to are the stock Firestone and Bridgstones on our cars. I really feel the road, and the turning response feels tighter and they grip better. That's all I know. I am not a "Summer tire" person. I hope that helped. And thanks for the support.
    Heather
    I think there may be a flaw in Tire Rack's search engine. In order to see the X1 you have to select the "By manufacturer" search. It is a bit convoluted.
    The only reason I asked about the X1's is that I notice it comes up quite a bit (along with the Dunlop Sport A2's) on the tire board.
    One more question, are you in 'snow country'? The deciding factor for me may be which tire is rated higher in terms of snow traction. I am not going to buy a separate set of snows for winter use. We don't get enough snow to justify it.
    I'm just doing research now and am interested in people's opinions. My purchase is still probably down the road a bit.
    Thanks again,
    Ron
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    ON the specific items listed

coolant replacement
    brake fluid replacement (actully pressure bleeds out the entire system)
    pcv valve replacement
    replace transmission fluid
    replace differential fluid
    replace oil and filter
    replace fuel filter

To everything but the engine oil and filter, my response to these items is an enthusiastic YES!!

I have learned by expensive experience that the transmission is sadly neglected. Even by dealers. Do that one at a minimum. I do a drain and fill of the tranny service every 2 years or 15000, whichever comes first. I also change the power steering fluid at 30K.

If you want to keep the vehicle I would recommend the extra services. If you are leasing, probably do the required ones only. The dealer schedule will recommend what is better for the car, the manufacturers will recommend what you can get by with.
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    is a "freebie" (if I remember) for all LL Bean wagons. You should have a coupon in your book. I'd follow the SOA procedure.

Don
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    What "free" service do you get with the LL Bean?
    About the freebies....Subaru has all sorts of associations with different groups like Norba, Nantahala Outdoor Center, Gary Fisher...etc. Each offers their own little freebie. If you do a little homework, buying a Subie can land you some nice stuff.. When I bought my Bean, I sent in for my $200 gift certificate to the NOC. With that I bought a really nice Giro helmet and some addtional goodies. LLBean sent me a bag with their logo embroidered on it. I don't know all the others.

As for the tires...I have Xone Michellins on my Odyssey. For that vehicle they are perfect. They are quiet, have great road feel and handling characteristics, plus they don't give any feel of hydroplaning in the rain. They stink in the snow (only once a year hear in ATL). I don't think it is the best tire for the Outback, though. I think you will compromise some of the increase traction that the OB has to offer with its all wheel drive...mostly if you plan to do anything on dirt, snow, slushy stuff (mud) etc. Then again, I don't think the XGTVs are the best for that either but those are most likely what I will buy next.

Heather...Sorry to hear about your ID theft. Our local consumer activist, Clark Howard, gets calls time and again about that. Best advice he has is to call all your credit agencies and put a fraud alert on. Check out his web site: clarkhoward.com there you will find lots advice and pointers to other web sites that will help you claw your way out of this mess.

Question about your speedometers....in the Outback, my speedo indicates on the fast side (indicates 70 and you are only going 67). Do you find that your GT is more accurate with the lower profile tires?

-r
    That stinks, Heather. Hope you can work it out and they bust the guy.

-juice
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    What is "must have" from 15K service (aside from all "checks"). I already did oil change and tire rotation at 14K. So what's left? If you did it at the dealer, how much was it? Thanks
  • jcy02objcy02ob Member Posts: 16
    that they think might be related to their 02 Outback tires? This is really getting frustrating as I have a brand new car that has a whistling kind of noise. I went to the dealer this past Tuesday and rode with a mechanic and then the service manager. Both were unable to hear what I was talking about although some reference was made to an intermittent kind of noise coming from the shifter area which I couldn't hear. For those (or anyone else) with an 02 OB and the stock Bridgestone Potenza tires, ie: the RE92's, do you hear a whistle/whirring coming from your car at speeds between 50 and 75 but most audible at 65? I've done the suggested items on this board and to those who've responded, thanks. Trek2002 is getting work done but I can't say thats my problem because my noise is not accelerator related in that its a static noise relating to the speed of the car rather than if I'm accelerating or not. Chat boards for the Bridgestone tires say that the RE92's are noisy with one complaint of 'singing' from the tires. I'm wondering if singing=whistling, like I'm hearing. This is really driving me nuts as the car is new yet the techs can't even acknowledge a sound. My diving is about 100 miles daily at the speeds where the sound is most prevalent.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Free LLBean services only cover oil, oil filter, drain plug washer, and tire rotation (every other oil change) - NOT the full 30K service.

oclvframe - what's NOC? And how do I get a $200. certificate??

Thanks!

Ralph
    15k? Check your wiper blades, maybe change them. Then just check all the fluids, which are conveniently marked in vivid yellow.

BTW, lots of automakers do this but Subaru is the best at it.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    And how can I get in on this? Visited NOC a few times in my twenties, long before I got convinced to become a kayaker. Talk about bad timing...

Ed
    Well, I have them a week now. Quieter with better grip than the stones. Possibly a little less road feel than the OEMs as mentioned. Seemed good in the rain we had Tuesday. Currently have them set at 35 PSI. I will try 40 to see the difference in handling.

Greg
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    <<15k? Check your wiper blades, maybe change them. Then just check all the fluids, which are conveniently marked in vivid yellow.>>

marked in vivid yellow where?
    You mean you didn't buy the vivid yellow option??? ;)

All fluids under the hood are marked with a vivid yellow color, i.e. the oil, transmission, front differential dip sticks, washer fluid, coolant, etc. The differential is kind of hard to see. It is located low on the passenger side by the firewall.

Greg
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Had them on one of my 92 Legacys, I think they rode as well as the Pilot XGT H4 I had on my 98 but I can't say much about the handling as I baby'd the 92 a little compared to my GT!The Xones wered efinitely better than the Pirellis or the stock RE92s. I would defintely buy them again if I wasn't going to drive aggressively. In fact if I still have my 98 when my daughter starts to drive in a few years I would probably get X ones for it. Though I do have the stock RE92s from my WRX to use up (probably should have asked the tire place if they would trade it but it never occurred to me then).
    Means I'll have to be even more aggressive to wear those RE92s out ! Thats it! I need to drive my GT wagon like my WRX from now on! Unfortunately if I did that I probably won't have a decent running GT when its time for her to learn to drive!
    If you have to ask where, you may want to let the dealer take care of the service. :-)

But seriously, pop the hood and take a peek. They made it relatively easy, even if it's your first time popping that hood.

BTW, want to learn the "secret handshake"? The hood release knob on every Subaru lines up with the right-most star on their grille logo. Neat, eh?

-juice
    Go to the NOC and pick up the brochure...they will not mail it out. I picked one up when I went for a weekend mountainbike/camping trip to Tsali.

There are lots of other perks available...look on the Drive magazine back cover for some of the affiliation info.

Although I love my Xones on the Odyssey (and when I had them on my Accord), I don't think it is the best tire for all terrain driving. I think they are pretty poor on snow traction. Either that or the van just had a hard time dealing with the low traction driving conditions this past winter.

BTW Free oil changes is all the Bean comes with...the 30k mile service is not part of the deal. I am at 28kmi and I have used up all my free coupons....from now on I will change my own oil.

As for the 30k service...I spoke to other Subaru dealers around here..they charge as much but don't do as much (or use the same methods) as the Caddy dealer I have been going to...Although $450 is a bunch of dough, it is beginning to sound like a good deal compared to the other dealers here in town. This is mostly due to how they perform the service...not so much what they actually do. I think pressure bleading brakes is far mor effective at removing contaminants in the brake fluid than the old fashioned blead method. they also replace all fluids...tranny, diff, etc. whereas others don't but still charge as much.

I have started a 30k mile service savings fund...hopefully it will be up in time before I hit 30k miles!

-r
    I found out the following at a dealership yesterday. The sales rep was quoting from a small official-looking booklet so I assume this is accurate.

1. single CD player standard on base Outback.
    2. All Weather Package standard on base Outback.
    3. Side airbags STILL not available on base Outback.

I am surprised and disappointed that Subaru is still not putting side airbags on the base Outback. Safety is obviously a big part of Subaru's marketing strategy and side head and shoulder airbags are now standard on all 2003 Forsters.
    The VDC will get a 6CD changer, too, and there will be a new 2.5 GT model with VTD and shiftronic manual control for the automatic tranny. Plus heated leather. We saw one at the NY show.

-juice
  • jrabajraba Member Posts: 6
    The list of colors for the 03 VDC did not include wintergreen. Instead, it included sea mist green. Same color, new name?

- John
    Probably different. Subaru has changed reds recently, and dark greens too.

-juice
  • cedarhillcedarhill Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post on this board. We have a 99 OBW and have to replace the clutch at 61K. For a vehicle that has never been taken off the pavement and never come close to being driven the way Paul Hogan does, this seems a little soon to us. We have had sticks on "Japanese" cars for many years, and have never had to replace a clutch prior to 85-90K before. This is our 1st Subaru, however. We would like to hear from other stick owners on this. What say ye?
    That's a little early but not unheard of. My Sprint's clutch (it was a Suzuki clone) only lasted a little longer than that. My Datsun's lasted about 80k as well.

You've got AWD and a little more weight.

-juice
    My 97 5 speed has 49K. I've had no problems with the clutch. Not as many miles as you, but probably more shifts over the past five plus years.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    no doubt they would be better than one without but the IIHS tests which the Legacy scored so well on was a L sedan without side airbags so the protection is still better than a lot of the competition. I would think head airbags/curtains may be better than just the plain side ones. Anyone know if there have been studies on this, perhaps too early for any real data.
  • slogieslogie Member Posts: 2
    See my post (#1419) on the Outback VDC board.

There is data from controlled studies on identical vehicles with and without head airbags:-

http://www.hwysafety.org/sr.htm

IIHS Vol. 36, No. 1 January 6, 2001

Special issue: head protection in side impacts.

The NHTSA and IIHS tests today simulate side impacts from passenger cars, not the higher SUVs and pick-ups. For me, I think there's enough evidence to make me only choose a vehicle with side chest and head protection for my next one. The 2003 Forester is the only Subaru that meets this criterion today.

Thank you slogie for posting this link to the Highway Safety Institute's report on side impact collisions and the importance of side airbag head protection.

It is well worth everyone's time to read this.

Safety was a major concern for us when when bought our Outback five and a half years ago. There is no doubt that the vehicles that we share the road with have gotten "taller" since that time. This type of side-impact head protection will be required equipment in our next vehicle.

As I indicated in my earlier post, I was both surprised and disappointed that Subaru is not making side airbags with head protection available on 2003 base Outbacks. Instead we are offered a CD player and a seat warmer as standard equipment, without what has become an essential safety feature even being available as an option!

And why make these airbags standard on all Foresters but not Outbacks?
  • barcbarc Member Posts: 15
    Real happy. Just did hwy trip total of 1685 Km or 1044 miles. Used 133.28 Litres.
    7.9L/100 Kms. In Canadian MPG that's 35.2. In U.S. MPG 29.8.
  • sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    I bought plugs for my 1999 Outback Limited
    2.5 engine.
    I checked the owner's manual which said replace
    them at 60,000 miles or 5 years.
    I've always changed plugs at 36,000 or 3years
    if they are platinum, which these are.
    I think 5 years or 60,000 mi is too long, what do
    you maint guru's think.
    Also, how come I can't find a service manual for
    my vehicle?
    SOA says contact Helms, they don't have it in stock, besides it costs over $200.00.
    Chilton's only go up to 1996, what's up with that?
    I love the boxer engine, but those plugs are hard to reach, anyone got any hints on what all needs to be removed to get to them????
    Every time I refer to the owner's manual about
    maint it says "should be serviced by an authorized Subaru dealer only".
    Seems like SOA is trying to make more business for
    their dealers, come on, let's be serious, some
    things can be done by a person who knows a wrench
    from a screwdriver, when the day comes that I can't replace the air filter myself, I will hang up my wrenches on the garage door and wait for the grim reaper.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    1) Plugs can go 100K but I usually change em at 50K or else they get real tricky to get out at 100K

2) Unfortunately on new cars plugs are not easy to get out due to all kinds of other ductwork you sometimes need to remove. You may need to remove the intake etc to get to em. On my '91 XT6 luckily all 6 are on the top of the engine for easy access on the H6

3) Most manufacturers send out their repair guides to 3rd parties for printing and sale. $200 is cheap, for my XT6 from SOA it's $150 x 3 or 4 manuals to cover the entire car. I bought a Helm for my Trooper on CD for $100 paper would have been $200

4) Chiltons are pretty useless manuals with instructions like "remove transmission and then do XYZ to it"

-mike
    I'm still using my original spark plugs at 46k miles, and my gas mileage/power has been great, so they must be fine.

I have a Chilton's for my Miata and they are pretty useless. I have had to refer to Miata.net for "custom" instructions almost every time. In this case it was to adjust the timing, which was very non-specific in the Chilton's.

-juice
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    For 2000, the Legacy/Outback manuals consisted of 7 or 8 volumes. Fortunately, you don't need to buy the full set. You can get individual manuals.

However, I would really prefer a model specific Haynes for the basic work I do.