Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Vince: OK, I think the new front wipers have a variable (as opposed to fixed) intermittent setting. Sorry for the confusion.

I think it was the Forester that got the fixed variable intermittent rear wiper.

-juice
  • sagrestasagresta Posts: 39
    Does your wagon still ping?
  • vincer2vincer2 Posts: 97
    juice,
    my previous post is partially incorrect. the vbl settings are in the intermittent mode and not in the full on position.
    Vince
    OK. But now I'm really confused.

Anyone know for sure which wipers were upgraded and how?

-juice
    Sharon,
    Today unfortunately its in an extreme pinging mode. Can't even touch the gas pedal and its pinging. Driving out of the parking lot at lunchtime and not exceeding 10 mph and it was pinging. Becker Subaru is about 2 miles from where I work so I stopped in to speak with the svc mgr. He was busy so I'll stop back later in the day.

Pinging was also rather loud when holding a steady pedal between 35 & 45. It didn't ping accelerating up a rather steep hill but when I let up on the gas at the top of the hill the pinging returned. It was pinging from easy starts from stop lights. Start out with a "heavy foot" and it doesn't ping. Go figure.

SoA considers all of this normal. **@@##@#@&%& is my response!!

My wife and I need to discuss whether we will follow the arbitration path under PA's Lemon Law.

Never had a car that I enjoyed so much. Too bad there's been so much aggravation to go along with it.

Vince
    Your car pings a little different than mine. My pings when accelerating between 2000 and 2500 RPMs, although more recently I've noticed it pinging both higher and lower.

As you're well aware they told me mine is normal too. I just think they haven't found a fix yet. I have the extended warranty, but I doubt we keep the car long enough to matter unless they come up with a miracle fix and apologize!

But since they have offered us $1500 toward a new one, we may try again. I think we're going to wait until next year provided nothing catastrophic happens to the car before then.

Good luck with yours and keep me posted as well.
    Sharon
    juice,

my 2000 ob is a ltd. wonder if the non ltd previously did not have a vbl setting while the 2002 non ltd does.
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    The luther dealership in Whitebear wasn't too bad. I dealt with Eric Peterson. He only deals with internet shoppers. Contact via email.

epeterson@whitebearasi.dealerspace.com

Basically he gives a no haggle $500 over invoice. might be better now that 2002s are out. The other guys there are you basic car sales people.

Service is OK. They make you feel like your getting special treatment but I'm not sure of the actual quality of the service/repair.

I was there Monday for an oil change and they are getting thin on 2001 models. Lots of empty spaces.

I don't like recommending sales places/people but I do like recommending a subaru. I have 2001 OB wagon.
    Describe your ping for us.
  • rk_goark_goa Posts: 11
    Out of curiosity, I did a search on "pinging" on google.com - alt.autos.subaru and read the posts. Try it and form your own opinions. Could be wrong, but I got the following impressions: 1) it is not very uncommon 2) may not be easy to fix 3) might not cause engine damage - one poster developed it at 50k and now has 150k miles. I hope my car does not do it - the sound alone would drive me nuts.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Roger: thanks for looking that up.

You gotta love how resourceful the folks here are.

100k with a ping? Wow.

-juice
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Posts: 30
    Jay,
    Thanks for the info. I dropped Eric (@ Whitebear) an email asking what he had for LL Beans.

Paul in MN.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Pings under light load between 2000-2500 rpm. Usually happens when accelerating or when the auto transmission drops back a gear while climbing hills/mountains (revs drop from 3000+ to 2000). Occurs most often in warmer weather. Loud enough to hear with the windows rolled up. Local service advisor's 99 RS does the same thing and says he's had a number of complaints from other Phase II Subaru owners. My wife has heard at least one other Subaru ping just driving around town.
  • himehime Posts: 1
    I apologize if this has been covered, but couldn't bring myself to read 2500 messages to find out. Has anyone else experienced small brownish spots on the ceiling of their Outback? We have a 2001. Thanks.
  • Much like Chris' posting #2277, my '02 OB 5-speed requires much concentration by me in order to achieve a smooth acceleration from a stop.

Also, if I accelerate relatively quickly (not drag-racing start, just a quick one) from a stop, the car accelerates slightly, hesitates for a moment, and then starts its normal acceleration.

Anyone else experience this?
  • johnmeijohnmei Posts: 44
    Brownish spots. I would bet it is RUST, perhaps from condensation. Obviously, it shouldn't be and Subaru should install a new ceiling fabric.
  • johnmeijohnmei Posts: 44
    I am planning to buy a 2002 Outback Wagon with the standard no frills "Tried and True" 2.5H4. The standard radio has a cassette player and NOT a CD. Thus, I either will have to purchase a totally new radio/cassette/CD system installed by some outfit like Tweeters (as I am told the radio is not compatible with any other commercial CD unit) or buy Subaru's added option for a single player CD. Is the quality of the unit decent? Also, how is the speaker upgrade? Is the cost worth the supposed sound enhancement?
  • shirl4shirl4 Posts: 1
    I am enjoying reading what everyone writes. I have had my 2001 OB Ltd.since November and love it. Now, I want to get a Kayak and could use some help. Since I have minimal upper body strength and need to get the kayak on and off by myself, I would be interested in what others have done. Has anyone used the Subaru system? So far, Yakima system seems the best. I would need to mount 2 Roundbars next to the Subaru bars, but then I could also add a pull out bar (that extends about 3 feet beyond the passenger doors) to rest the front of the Kayak on. Then, I could lift the back of the Kayak onto the saddles while the front rests on the pull out bar. Last step is to move the front of the Kayak which is on the pull out bar to the front saddle. I need to add the equipment (about $350 for Yakima)before I will really know if I can handle getting the Kayak up so I want to do the right thing. Any thoughts?
    Shirl