Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• I like it. It looks a little more nimble, like the Forester. The bulging bumpers on the current US Outbacks give them a weighty look.
    -Mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I replaced mine after about a year. Even my dealer said you could wait for that, assuming you live in a normal climate and haven't been driving on the beach (or the Pine Barrens) everyday. It was dirty, so I wouldn't wait more than a year or so to replace.

Mark
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sten: after a year, mine was hardly dirty at all. But another person posted photos of his, and they were filthy. So I'd check. As they say, YMMV.

Yeah, lots of Mac users among us.

-juice
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    If the 03 Legacy outback is shown in Feb 02 when would it go on sale? July or August 02?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    When the new vehicles arrive depends on the dealership. The larger ones typically will get the first ones at the end of the summer. However, most dealerships will take orders in advance of the first shipment date.

Ken
  • willocwilloc Posts: 19
    tally up another Mac user...and don't be afraid to install OS X - it is rockin' now and works great. It is by far the most stable OS I have used. I can go weeks if not months at a time without crashing or rebooting. Just put it to sleep at night and wake up in the morning w/o reboot. Anyway I think there is a Mac/Subie connection. My wife has a '97 OB and I am looking to buy one soon. Can't decide between the WRX or LL Bean but will probably go with LLB.
    - Will
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,589
    G'day

There is a certain luxury in getting updates before the USA. Must be the first time it has ever happened. The improvements to the 20002 Outback and Legacy included a Dual mass flywheel and projector type lights. Look nice. Otherwise, i think it was a change in the alloys but not much else.

cheers

Graham
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    << There is a certain luxury in getting updates before the USA. Must be the first time it has ever happened. The improvements to the 20002 >>

Boy, you are in a different time zone... 20002!

Bob
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    on the crew boards! We could trade Macworld rumors: G5?, flat panel iMac?, new digital hub device?

TWRX
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Now that is funny. That would be a real interesting forum -- Mac using Subaru drivers talking about Macs!! Sounds like a support group to me!

I am very curious about all the MacWorld rumors. This is the first time I have ever seen Apple stir up such a frenzy. They usually deny or downplay hype, but this time they are cranking it up. Makes me think Steve Jobs has a huge announcement. The only thing I am sure of is a flat panel iMac. The rest is up for grabs.

Craig
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Wasn't the 02 WRX available in the first half of 01???
    G'day

here are the updats made to Australian spec cars in late 2002. It might provide some hints as to the improvements in the US 2003 models

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_30/showall_/id_SUB/doc_sub0108231/article.html

Cheers

Graham

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The new darker color of the lower clading makes that blue color look quite sharp, IMO.

Speaking of headrests, I was recently driving next to a LL Bean H6 and noticed that the middle head rest in the rear seat was about half the size of the others. I've taken the head rest out in our Outback since Brooke can't use it yet. It does make it easier to see behind the vehicle without it there, although I didn't really have that much problem with it in. Looks like SOA realized that too and trimmed the size down to help. Hope that made it to all the models!

-Brian
  • I think all '02 OB's have the smaller center headrest. My base model does. Glad I waited. That's one negative when I was shopping for them in 2000. BTW, where's the snow?

David
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Thanks for the link. I've been saying for some time that I think our '03 Legacys and Outbacks, to be shown in early February at the Chicago Auto Show, will get many if not all the *functional* upgrades that you folks recently got.

I'm also hoping for a few *surprises,* but I'm not holding my breath...

Bob
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    so I'll be sure to let everyone know if there's changes!

-Brian
  • Juice: tweeters now on sale - $16.00. P/N H6300AS010, per mysubaru.com

Just don't have your dealer swap parts with Appleway in Spokane until I get my set!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • The new Pacifica looks pretty nice, and is also available in 4 WD. What do you think?

Picture at;

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

scroll down to the link to "Vince Burlapp car page"
    Snow is on the way for us, maybe tomorrow! :-)

Paul - are those for all Subies? Will they fit my Forester? If so I'm ordering a set for sure.

-juice
  • Juice: they were listed under the Legacy... I didn't peek at the Forester listings to see if they were available there as well. If I'm interpreting coorectly, it's not a have-to-order item - dealers should have them at the sale price in the parts department. I've been wrong before, though. :)

Cheers!
    Paul
    G'day

I find it offensive that someone clearly acting as a spruiker for Chrysler products has posted links to the Chrysler Pacifica on boards for the Subaru Outback and also, at least, on boards for the following:

Honda Oddysey,
    Mercedes M Class
    Lexus RS300

Dont' waste my time!

Cheers

Graham
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    "Spruiker: someone who stands outside department stores armed with pa and microphone flogging goods for a dime a dozen."

Thanks for increasing my vocabulary today :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That chysler is still FWD based so it wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

-mike
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    One'92 Dodge Not-So-Grand Caravan was enough.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Posts: 198
    see:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autoshow/0201/06/a11-383553.htm

says it is AWD.

If there is enough Mercedes influence, this vehicle should be a touch better than a Neon.

But like you say, still a Chrysler.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It's based on the Town and Country mini-van.

FWD Based
    Transversely mounted engine
    Quality transmission
    and other such great chrysler parts! :)

-mike
    Thanks, Paul. I'll call my dealer to see if the parts department is offering those for sale. It was next on my upgrade list. :-)

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    My O2 OBW has been topped in my office by a fellow engineer who recently bought a WRX. Like me, he had a big grin on his face this morning as the Hudson Valley got it's first real snowfall. It is fun to throw the tail into a spin with a jab of the handbrake, then power out of it in your direction of choice. Remarkable handling & control.

One surprise though. I love ABS, and have had it on my last 4 vehicles dating back to my '90 Camry V6 wagon. But there is no doubt that in some loose surface low traction conditions, ABS will actually increase the stopping distance. With Toyota, you could disable it 'on-the-fly' with a pull on the handbrake. Doesn't seem to work with the Subaru. Short of electrical modifications (which I wouldn't do on a safety related system), any thoughts?

Steve
    I thought one click with the handbrake worked, but I guess not.

Try using engine braking, by down shifting.

-juice
  • My Mother keeps complaining about the large amount of slop from the
    wheels and the sides of the car that spays on the pass. and drivers
    lower side window, and the side mirrors. Is there any kind of skirt or
    shield for the lower mirror housing??