Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, I think there was. You can try nhtsa.gov if you want to look it up. I think it was also announced at Subaru.com.

Heads up - anyone currently buying a new Subie? If you have a Galyan's in your area, they offer a $25 store certificate just for test driving a Subie, and $250 if you buy one! :-)

There's one in Gaithersburg, MD, but they are not nationwide (though there are many locations).

I'm going to get one for my little sister, she's actively shopping for a Forester right now.

-juice
  • I know that Subs sold overseas have higher rated towing capability than the ones sold in North America.

See http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_SUB/doc_sub0210182/c- ms/news/newsarticle.html
    for example.

Does anyone know why?
    Are those australian cars equipped with transmission coolers, HD transmissions, oil coolers or any other parts which would explain the diffrence?
    Or does this simply reflect the nature of our litigious society, as once explained here?

The reason I ask is that I tow a 2400-2500 lbs boat/trailer rig for distances ranging from 10 miles to 60 miles (yes, with trailer brakes and with transmission cooler) and I wonder if I should expect any drivetrain surprises in the future. So far so good.

BTW, the handling is surprisingly good even at speeds of 65 mph (I try not to go higher than that). I use a 3rd gear lock for lower speeds and uphills.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Reason:
    Because of someone called "Sue Happy" here in USA ;-)

-Dave
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    The recall will be announced starting late June. It has to do with the rear suspension. The vendor did not coat the part(s) properly and they are prone to rust. Similar recall to the front springs on some 00? models. They will inspect, clean and apply oil and a wax? sealant. There was a thread opened for this.

Greg
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    that we don't: A self-leveling rear suspension and a full-size spare tire, both of which would be greatly appreciated by those who tow.

Having said that, I too agree that the biggest reason is for the fear of lawsuits here in the USA.

BTW, '03 H-6 Outback wagons are now rated to tow 2400 pounds, if you have trailer brakes. In the past, they were limited to 2000 pounds.

Bob
    There is a definitive, proven scientific explanatoin for that: Lawyers! ;-)

Tow ratings are higher in the UK also, even on models without the self-leveling suspension.

-juice
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    also, will they notify by mail? tx
  • montsuemontsue Posts: 6
    How do the dual moonroofs work on the Outback? Do they both slide open or does the front just pop-up? I can't figure out how they could both slide open without the front interfering with the back
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,478
    Front pops up, back slides.

DaveM
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Anyone heard anything about future OBs? I saw the pics of the proposed 05 Legacy Turbo....nice. Wondering if OBs are going to change in 04-05 as I will be in the market (trading in my 00 OB).

Cheers.
    It's still early, but it looks like they'll be wider and longer. I hope they use more aluminum to keep weight down, like they did with the Forester (hood and roof rails are alum).

-juice
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    another spy pic @ auto express:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_19/car_portal_pi- c_9730.jpg?7000

plus video of testing at Nurburging
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/video_gallery/video_gallery_story.ph- p?id=36159

unfortunately, my quicktime isn't working, so haven't seen the video.

despite some camouflage, you can make out most of the lines evident in the apex "first pics".

I'm surprised the door handles are the (now)old-fashioned flip-up kind, as everyone (Subaru included....Forester & Impreza) seem to be going to the grab-and-pull kind.

Pic view is from front 3/4, so you get a bit of the side profile and can see definite "shoulder" lines and a very sculpted hood.
    The white one with all that tape looks like a freezer lying down! :-)

I like it, though, nice and boxy rear, front looks more aggressive.

-juice
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    1) Looks bigger but that could be because of all the junk they have pasted to it. My hope is that its 3-4in wider and 6-10in longer but I seriously doubt that will happen.

2) Hood scoop means turbo. Its likely the 2.5L with 225hp but we can all hope its the 300hp version or the H6 turbo from the show car.

3) Yikes those are big rims!

4) The front end looks more like the STi and both are moving toward the B11 show car front end look (at least to my eye).
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    What d'yer think, did they go back to a more conventional single sunroof (hope so) or will this be another two-holer?
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    Went to the dealer today to get my filter and crush washer. The guy that took care of my seemed very nice . So I asked if he is new and he said that he is the new service manager . I said great now I may start to bring my car back in for service. He said that they had a lot of complaints about the old manager . We talked for about 10mins concerning the issue's with my car ,and he said that he has to find out when the dist service rep is in the area . Who by the way is also new . He wants me to drop my car off so they can hear the cold engine knock . I'll cross my fingers again and see what happens .

Mike k
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Looks like 1 big roof :)

The model you see there is probably a 2.0l Turbo version, very common in non US markets due to high taxes on vehicles with >2.0 displacement.

-mike
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    Auto Express has more info and pics of the new Legacy......unfortunately, the pics are only in the mag and not on the web....will try to check the newsstand later but it may be a few days or a week before we get the new issue. Anyway, here's a link to the article:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=36395
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Just curious: Are all new Subarus built with safety cage construction, and what is your opinion on the new Saab 9-2s coming out next year?
    From the above autoexpress article posted by Mike (wheelz4):

"By employing a completely new dual exhaust system, Subaru has also been able to tone down the distinctive boxer sound, a move it feels will help attract a wider range a buyers."

No more Where's the Porsche; I hear it but I only see a Subaru.

I personally love the boxer sound as I winds to redline.

DaveM

P.S. Thanks for posting the link, Mike.
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    I'd like to see them improve the cargo space by a few cubic feet.

And my biggest question for Saab is why their first foray into AWD went into something small. I'd love to see them put Subaru's AWD system into their 9-5 wagon.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I have dual exhaust on my SVX. It does tone down the boxer sound a bit. But the SVX is really so silent with the stock exhaust you don't hear anything :)

-mike
    I bet they go with one moonroof.

Hey, I noticed the B11S-ish grille too. Very subtle cue.

Paolo: yes, all Subies have a safety cage, I think they have for quite a while. Note that the Forester, Impreza, and Legacy are all IIHS "Best Picks" for safety, and that's the industry's toughest test.

We've talked a lot about the Saaburu 9-2. I think it's a mistake for Saab to offer a non-turbo version, big-time, because right now all Saabs are turbos.

I do like the idea of putting a more plush interior in a WRX and charging more for it. We'll see how they execute.

-juice
    I hope they go with one moonroof as I've never been a fan of the dual moonroofs.

DaveM
  • schizaschiza Posts: 31
    Update: Subaru told us they will be replacing our car with a new one. They couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Even though I was disappointed in having the stalling issue. My loyalty to Subaru has strengthened for the customer service they provided. We own 2 Subaru's (LL Bean & WRX). My WRX has had no problems exept for the clutch shudder plagued with the earlier models which the dealer replaced the clutch and has been running great with 20K miles. Subaru's commitment to customer service has sold me on being a loyal customer for a long time. Now we're looking forward to our New LL Bean which the dealer said should be ready by Saturday.
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Great news! Customer service like that will keep many of us Subaru owners. Are you getting the same color, etc?

Greg
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    That's certainly good news, John :)

-Dave
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Posts: 65
    Legacy L SE wagon on the way for Mother's day present! To complement the current WRX

hg
  • schizaschiza Posts: 31
    Yes we're getting the same exact color Pearl White. Can't wait to pick it up. They gave us a decent pontiac Grand Am in the mean time for a rental. I'm very impressed with Subaru's commitment to customer service.
    Sweet John. I also says you were tactful with your negotiating with them. Kudos to you.

hg: NICE present! :-)

-juice