Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Subaru will be the official vehicle of National Garden Month in April of this year, and in conjunction will sponsor the Get Gardening Giveaway -- in which one hundred winners will each receive a $100 gift certificate to the NGA Garden Shop to buy plants, tools and supplies for their gardening needs, as well as a free 12-month membership in NGA

Whoa, sounds like Subaru is hooking up with some real wild and crazy people!

Actually, I shouldn't talk, I probably spend half of my weekends landscaping and gardening....

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Me too. Can't wait for spring. You should see my veggie gardens.

Bummer Bob. I think comprehensive covers it, usually you pay $100 deductible (each, though).

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    No deductible. It's a freebie. My rates may go up though? Obviously I hope not...

Bob
    Not sure. While it is a claim (the dreaded "C"), it's not like your driving was at fault. So maybe not.

-juice
  • Hi everyone, I was reading Edmunds descriptions of what each trim level adds, and they reference getting a 3 yr maintenance pkg included if you step up to ll bean trim. Went to subaru.com and could not find any reference to this. Has anyone here heard about this, or could it just be an oops in the Edmunds description? If it is true, it is probably worth the extra dollars to go up to ll bean, it isn't that much more than limited, and you would also get 6 cyl engine.

Also, anyone compare Outback to VW Passat? Saw and loved Passat this weekend, but reliability reviews really give me pause. Would like to wait for 05 Subaru but need car soon. Any idea when the 05 will be out? Dealer is playing dumb here.

Thanks!!!
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481
    The "free" 3 yr maintenance package is no longer part of the LL Bean package for MY04.

DaveM
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    There's a whole thread devoted to this subject:

blackbean "VW Passat vs Subaru Wagons" Nov 7, 2003 12:13pm

As for when the 2005's hit the dealerships, the scuttlebut is that it probably will be around June, give or take a couple of weeks.
    You can get a deal on the 2004s, FWIW. I've seen LL Beans for $26k or so, not bad for AWD, ABS, heated leather, wood/leather steering, 2 moonroofs, 16" alloys, etc.

Price a Passat 4Motion out that way, it's about $32k!

-juice
  • The 3 years maintenance package is only good for oil change and tire rotation for every 7500 miles, except the first one is at 3750 miles. Tune-up is not included in the package. Since I hate to wait, I do the oil change and tire rotation myself. Too bad, the coupons are non-tranferable. I would have love to exchange the coupons for oil filters only.

Alland
  • Am looking at limited vs ll bean. Does the 6 cyl really have to have premium gas? Do any of you run it in reg and if so, how is it working? Any pinging? Would love to have the bigger engine but not sure I want to pay extra every week at the pump. Hope to get many years out of it if we get one. Should this car be able to be run to 150,000 plus miles without major repairs (read eng, tranny, steering rack) if it is well maintained?
    The H6 has proven very reliable. I'd give it an edge over the 2.5l H4.

Subaru said it makes 208hp instead of 212hp with regular fuel, and 87 octane is fine. They "recommend" premium, but require only regular.

-juice
    My experience is that you should use premium fuel; you will definitely notice the effect of lower octane through the entire power band (a loss of 4HP at peak is only a small and misleading part of the story, unless you happen to drive at 6000rpm all the time). With lower octane, the ECU retards the timing all the way through the power band.

Let's say you drive 15,000 miles a year and average 24mpg. The difference between regular and premium gas will be less than $200 in my part of the country. I've also seen data suggeting you can possibly get better gas mileage on premium gas in many cases, which offsets or reverses the cost difference.

BTW, I generally get 22-30mpg in my LL Bean on premium gas.

Craig
  • I average 24 mpg with my '02 LL Bean. With gas prices in NE Ohio it costs me about $10 a month more to use premium, at 15K a year. Not enough $$$ difference for me to switch to a lower octane and lower the performance of the car.
  • I've tried both with my 03 Outback and found the performance difference to be neglible (unnoticeable most of the time) in the kind of mixed suburban/rural driving we mostly do. I've found no difference in gas mileage between the two so I use regular most of the time and only switch to premium for trips (not sure whether that's even warranted).

Good luck, Jim
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    I have only used premium for the past 54K miles on my 2001 LLBean. I regularly get anywhere from a low of 18 mpg to a high of 23 mpg - w/ no apparent cause/effect in the way I drive - it's whatever the Bean feels like giving me. I got 25 mpg once in the summer w/ the air blasting going 80 mph on a long trip (could never figure that one out).

But, Craig, 30 mpg in a 6 cyl that weighs 3750 lbs.?? Never! You must have a leak in your Bean....the vapors are getting the best of you...

:-)

Ralph
    But, Craig, 30 mpg in a 6 cyl that weighs 3750 lbs.?? Never! You must have a leak in your Bean....the vapors are getting the best of you...

I was surprised too, and figured it was an inaccurate gas pump (in which case I paid for less fuel than I got). But it happened with the very next tank too. It was during a trip we took to Hilton Head SC last May. About 8 hours each way, just cruising at 70mph, no real hills, temps in the low 70s. I regularly get 28mpg on highway trips, so 30 isn't that much of a stretch, especially under those conditions.

Craig
    The H6 is geared very tall. It revs low, so it's both quiet and efficient.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Paying more for premium may not be much $$, but its about the same as getting about 3mpg to 4mpg less.
    So 575 gallons per year (26 mpg and 15000miles) @ 1.60 is the same as buying 660 gallons at $1.40 or 22.7mpg.

30mpg for a 6 cylinder? sure. Its called a Buick. My parents LeSabre (3570lbs) get 30+ on the highway often during the summer.

--jay
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    On the highway with my 3680lb SVX and 250hp and 3.3L H6

-mike
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    I'll have to drive faster and longer...

:-)

Ralph
  • Was just at the auto show in Philly. Ready to purchase either the Highlander Limited or the Murano. When I saw the Outback LL Bean edition I did a double take. What info can anyone provide on this auto. Positive and negative. What should I expect to spend well equipped?/
    First of all, wait for the new 05 models that will be revealed at the Chicago auto show in a couple days. You can see pics here:

salbaby1972 "Subaru Crew - Future Models II" Feb 3, 2004 8:34pm

The 05 models will go on sale in the late spring/early summer timeframe. They look like excellent vehicles.

I have an 02 LL Bean and love it. I chose this over the Acura MDX by the way. The Bean's engine is fantastic, I get great gas mileage, and overall, it's a very smooth and quiet package. I don't recall exact numbers, but I got the car for about $200 over invoice (it's typical to pay close to invoice for most Subarus) which is significantly less than the sticker price. You can check the new car section of Edmunds for sticker and invoice pricing.

The cars come pretty loaded up as is. I think I had spoiler and winter mats as the only options.

If you get an 04, I'm sure you can get an excellent deal. If you get an 05, you'll probably have to wait until the fall before the deals are reasonable.

Craig
  • Hi All,
    Came across a good article on a debate I have seen quite often on these boards. Whether or not to burn regular fuel in a premium fuel engine. Car and Driver recently conducted a scientific test (results are available online for those who are interested) but their conclusion was:

"Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump. If the car is sufficiently new and sophisticated, it may not suffer any ill effects, but all such skinflints should be ready to switch back to premium at the first sign of knock or other drivability woes."

Kind of what much of the anecdotal research done by our Subie mmebers has suggested all along...

Matt :-)
    The 2004 Outback LL Bean can be had for a bargain price now because that 2005 is on the way.

I've seen street prices down around $26k, check fitzmall.com if you live near the DC area. That's a bargain for AWD, ABS, heated seats/mirrors and wiper de-icers, alloys, 2 moonroofs, leather, etc.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    This is a dangerous car. This morning, after the snow/rain/ice we had yesterday, I took my daughter to the bus and went to get coffee. Back home and then off to work, up and down the driveway twice in the OB. Just as I pulled into work I get a panic call from my wife that she can't get up the driveway in the minivan and my daughter was late for an important test at school. I would have thrown ice melt on the dw and driven the minivan to the top if I had known it was that slippery. But, the OB went up and down twice without a hint of trouble. My daughter will remind me of this for a long time. It's a dangerous car.

BTW - I have been driving the mv and switched for today as my wife needed the extra room. Bad move I guess.

Greg
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    I spent two hours eary this morning out chipping ice for exactly the same reason. I knew that the OBW would have no problem with the hill, but knew that Beth would never be able to get up with the Ody (traction control is worthless if both sides are on ice).

If you were any kind of husband, you would have told your customer that the family was more important, and that you were going to be late! Oh wait, customer? Hey, that's me!!! On second thought, Greg - get your butt in gear and get to work!!

Steve
    I drove back home, threw "Salt" on the dw (although my wife had done most of it by the time I got there) and drove the mv to the top. I had no idea the dw was that bad. Almost 40F this morning, and I live 20 miles south of you. What really makes it bad is that she fell on the ice and hit her chin. I feel terrible, especially since I always make sure things are taken care of before I leave (except today I guess). I did throw in the "you know, we should dump the minivan and get another Subaru so this won't happen again".

Greg
    Back when we had only one Subie, the wife would steal mine if conditions were poor. Now we have 2, no fighting.

-juice
    That's what is killing me. She has been driving the OB pretty exclusively lately due to the weather. Today we switched since she needed the extra seats for "company". Argh, and more nasty weather on Friday and Saturday.

Greg
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,945
    You know, dw could stand for Dear Wife or DriveWay. Your post sort of works both ways :-)

I haven't missed a powder day yet due to my wife stealing the OB, but it's been touch and go a couple of days. Twice I've had to walk down to the street and drive the MV up to the garage (and once I didn't make it).

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.