Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    My guess would be that you picked up a small rock between the rotor and the rotor cover on the backside. I've had this 'problem' a couple of times on my Forester, it seems to occur more often when there's some snow on the ground, likely because that's when the city starts 'sanding' the roads. Well, it's not really sand. The diagnosis and fix is pretty simple.
    HTH, Owen
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Agree with Bob on this one. Some years ago they addressed it in answering a reader letter. The car mags do 6k rpm clutch drops, and automatic max converter stall speed launches. CR does a 'hit the gas' type launch, more in line with what people who actually want their car to last more than a week without tranny replacement do.

Steve
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508
    I think you're right, Owen. I blind-swiped along the outside of the pads yesterday when my wife dropped me off to work and she said she didn't have any more problem with the noise for the rest of the day. I did not have any problems today yet, either. I think, however, that I will stop and grab a new set of pads for fronts and backs just to have them on hand should I need to do a replacement in a hurry. I have 90K on my rears thus far..... they're probably getting close. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, folks!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    10k good luck, you might want to bump up closer to 15k.

-mike
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Look for Subarus 5+ years old with probably over 60,000 miles. All the low end models of that vintage will be in the $10K ballpark or lower.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    For $10k I'd buy a '99 Forester L or S, in decent shape, with about 60k miles.

To be honest Subies don't depreciate much, so I'd stretch the budget a bit and look for a new Outback Sport, maybe $16k or so. A TS wagon if you can only go to around $15k.

Look at it this way - 5 year powertrain warranty, so a 5 year loan is reasonable.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Also, I beleive Subaru did not have side curtains until only a couple of years ago, and then on the higher end models only.

Mark
    Actually the curtains only came this year, 2005. Before that they had side airbags to protect the torso.

Forester is the exception in that the side air bags also protect the head. It works well enough to earn it a Good rating from IIHS, which ironically is higher than the Legacy with the curtains.

-juice
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    "Look for Subarus 5+ years old with probably over 60,000 miles. All the low end models of that vintage will be in the $10K ballpark or lower.

Craig "

Good post. Think about it for 5 minutes. You'll find a new one bought near invoice to be a better deal in the long run...

That's just the market on these cars... my personal preference is $6k cars, buy for cash, forego collision insurance to save money. I have given up looking for $6k Subies. 100k+, 8 years old, no thanks.

It's like the $5k 4x4 pickup... everybody wants one.

-Mathias
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Does anyone know if noise/vibration/harshness have been reduced in the '05 model compared to the '04? Has the acceleration been improved and anyone have a 0-60 time? Any known issues with the six cylinder engine?

Thanks.
  • Looking for ideas on replacement tires for the OEM Wilderness tires. I see discussions on Bridgestone RE... Turanzas, BF Goodrich T/A V, Michelins Pilot Sport A/S, Pilot H4s, A4s, and MXV4s.
    Any new experience will be appreciated, thanks!
    Bob
  • Question: Does anybody have any actual timed figures for the STOCK base 2.5L Outback (manual) to 60 mph, or in the quarter mile. I know this isn't the Z06 forum, but some of you guys seem pretty performance oriented, and I just bought a base 2.5, 5spd Outback, and would like to understand it's real world performance parameters. Why did I buy the base if I am into performance? $17,340.00 brank new, that's why.I think the guy (above) who is looking for a used $10,000 Subaru would be much better off economically, to buy a Subaru Outback brand new for $17,000.

Thanks
    If you're after comfort, definitely go for the Turanzas. Stay away from the MXV4 -- they are noisy and wear quickly. Pilot Sport A/S is great if you place more emphasis on handling.

Craig
  • wired1wired1 Posts: 45
    Nice Outback/Legacy reviews in the 10-24-04 New York Times.....
    Yes, the '05s are more refined and ride more quietly. Honestly the old H6 was already very quiet (you couldn't hear it idle though you might have felt it).

Given it gained 38hp and lost about 180 lbs, yes, I'm sure it's quicker. Gearing is same as before.

Ball park I'd say about 0-60 in the 7s for the H6, 6s for the turbo automatic, high 5s for the turbo MT5.

The base 2.5i Outback should be in the 8s.

C&D tested a 5 speed Legacy it took 8.8s, but that was the old model. The new ones are lighter and have 3 more hp, not a huge difference but enough that you expect to knock off a few tenths. 8.5 seconds should be easy to obtain.

-juice
  • Thanks juice. Next question. Top speed? Mine runs to 5200rpm and then just stays there. I calculate that's about 113mph? Does anyone have higher figures on a 2.5L base Outback? 3600miles now, so I assume it is "broken in" about as much as it will get?
    I read 109 mph or something like that for the old Forester, faster than you could ever safely drive on any US public road.

The turbo is close to 130 mph but I wouldn't want to try to verify that.

Any of them will break 100 easily, so cruising along at 80 or so should in a 75 zone to keep up with traffic should be a breeze, especially with any of the turbos.

-juice
  • Thanks for the reply juice.Um......ever driven in Montana?
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    I believe I-90 and I-94 in Montana rank in the top ten for most deadly highways. Probably due to the thought you can go fast and the fact there are lots of critters trying to cross the roads.

We counted over 45 deer in one night of driving Montata roads. And those were just the ones we saw on/near the road.

My Outback wagon (H4) can hold 75 without problem and still has enough to pass easily. So probably more than fast enough to be safe.

--jay
    No, I wish!

I guess if the roads are straight almost any car would be stable. The Legacy GT would probably be most comfortable at those high speeds since it's lower and has a longer wheelbase.

Also, a Forester at that speed would produce a lot of drag and mileage would be lousy. True for any SUV really.

-juice
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    There are certain spots, especially in the southwest, that have some amazing high-speed roads. Looking forward getting the GT out there to stretch her legs. By the time I take her across country, hopefully there will be some real-world data about high speed stability and any mods needs to hunker the car down. That, plus that pesky 130 mph limiter. Thinking true top speed is in the 140+ range.

Also looking forward to heading into the mountains and not experiencing such a drastic performance drop.

-B
    Dunno, at 130mph if you even touch the brakes the brake fluid would probably boil instantly. I can't imagine you could stop the car safely if an animal was in the middle of the road.

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    (and it does) it should be able to stop at least once from max speed.
    Nothing prevents you from shipping car to Germany and trying yourself. If Legacy cannot brake from 130 governed then its governed speed is too high ;-)

Krzys
    I wouldn't want to be the first to find out.

The GT, at least, has nice, big rotors. I wouldn't want to try that in an Outback XT, which is heavier and has smaller rotors.

-juice
    The only advantage to those big rotors is resistance to brake fade. So for repeated stops, I would pick the Legacy GT, but for general purpose braking power, both are more than adequate at speed. If they have enough oomph to invoke ABS, the brakes are doing their job.

CRaig
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The brake fluid will only boil if you don't flush it on a yearly or timely fashion.

I repeatedly stop from 110-120mph say 30 times in a 30 minute session w/o issue in my '94 legacy turbo.

-mike
  • I also am trying to decide wether I really need the 6cyl or if the 4 cyl will be just fine. I will be moving back to the cascades in about a year and will need to be able to smoothly get over the passes without to much lag. Will the 4 cyl make it in your opinion?

Lynn
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    depends less on altitude. Turbo should be better (power wise) for mountains.

Krzys
  • If anyone wants the homelink system for your
     OBW its available as a combo with the dimming rear view mirror/compass. It will replace the present mirror. the 1st dealer i priced a 05 ob
    said it was not an option but saw it on subaru web
    site and 2nd dealer that i did by car from odered
    it in and will replace it for the existing mirror