Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Where's paisan? I think he fabricates a metal skid plate that fits the Outback. Anyone have the link to that site?

-juice
  • you can also try scorpionsubaru.com they have some cool stuff too
    Found a link for you, look under Rally Armor:

http://azpinstalls.com/

Tell mike juice sent ya, he's also on these boards as "paisan".

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Rich,

I had the same problem the first time I took my 2000 OBW through the Pine Barrens with Paisan and others. After that I tracked down the skid plates, and have had no problem since. Mike does make it now for the OB (he didn't at the time). The skidplates also come in handy for protecting the underside while driving through the streets of NY :)

Mark
  • K9LeaderK9Leader Posts: 112
    Try this: http://www.shoptronics.com/baqmp3tofmra.html

or this: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000513047866/

I have this one and it works reasonably well for under $30 -- I got mine at Costco for about $25. Lets me put MP3s onto a USB drive or plug any device into it and then broadcast to the FM. Here is the manufacturer's page: http://www.vr-3.com/vr3_fmmod.html

Good luck!

--K9Leader
  • 20llbean20llbean Posts: 83
    Mark,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. The standard cover isn't much for hard off road duty. One other thing, I installed the rear shift protector on the OB back in 2001. After seeing a jeep that run over a large piece of wood buried in the sand and had the shift casing dented but somewhat OK, the rear protector is a must have.
  • Hello.
    I was hoping to get some opinions on the price of a 1998 Outback Wagon before I write the check.

It's the standard model (not the Limited) with a few extras (CD, "tweeter upgrade", seat warmers, keyless entry). It has 35K miles. It's red/maroon.

This is through Carter Subaru here in Seattle, and the car has gone through their standard checklist... with minor repairs being done.

Our agreed-price is $16,300. Any thoughts? Should prices be going down now that the 2002s are going to be on their lot within the next couple weeks?

Thanks.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I agree with you. I had also installed the rear diffy protector. One side benefit to the rear protector is it makes an excellent jacking point. If Subaru is trying to show the OB as an SUV/Crossover, I have always felt that skidplates, both front and back, should be standard.

Mark
  • 20llbean20llbean Posts: 83
    Agree. Driving on a beach, even in fairly soft sand that doesn't provide good base or traction, I consider normal off-road activity for the OB. In the snow, this vehicle has been outstanding in snow up to 14 inches (most we have had in tri-state area since I owned the car). A key point out this experience is that the OB was able to get out while some other vehicles unfortunately required the tow trucks.
    But stronger plates should be standard or at least offered as an option. Now serious off-road or rally driving (something I don't plan to do in the OB) is a different set of requirements on the car.

I quess that brings a question to mind: has anyone on this board taken a standard/stock OB to an rally course?

Rich
  • I have the bug shield on my 03 Legacy wagon (auto). I just checked and I get 27MPG if I putter around like a slow poke. If I push it I get 22MPG. :)
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Not enought to notice. I had one on my 01 Outback for about 2 years. Then the little rubber feet that held it off the hood kept falling off and the shield started rubbing on the hood. (nasty mark on the paint :cry: ) so off it came. still get about 27mpg (90% highway miles contant 65mph or so ;) ).

In town (stop/go) and cold temps bring my mileage down. Winter (below 20F) I get about 23.

--jay
  • I am looking at buying a used 2001 L.L. Bean Outback, with the H6 engine. It recommends the 91 octane, however, can it run with 87 octane.

With gas price the way they are, it just seems to be too much.

Also, what type of gas milage does the 01' L.L.Bean get?
    Thanks

P.S. I am also looking at a 2001 Toyota Highlander Limited, which would be better in your opinion and why?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,712
    I've been told that yes, you can run 87 octane. However I was also told that it's not a good idea to only use 87. I was told to use it for maybe a couple of tankfulls, then run 91. Bottom line is yes, but not as a steady diet.

Now this info was pertaining to new H6s, which are different than what you have. My "guess" is that this info would also hold true for older models too.

Bob
    That engine was tuned as aggressively. Subaru stated 212hp on premium fuel, but 208hp on regular. That they went as far as stating the HP with 87 octane, I think you'll be fine.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Here's a great place to get all the specs, stats, options, etc for all the 2001 Outback models. http://www.cars101.com/outback2001.html#2001

Your yearly extra cost purchasing premium instead of regular would probably be less than $200 (assuming you drive an average amount)... maybe $15 bucks a month? Probably worth the cost.

Both are fine vehicles. Best wishes on your upcoming purchase.
  • jeffmc and atexieria,

Thanks for the wishes and thanks for the web link.

Is it true that Subarus, when need to be fixed are very expensive?... maybe more so than Toyota?
    I don't think so, in fact my dealer (Fitzgerald) has both Toyota and Subaru and the prices for service are similar.

Better yet, get a Subaru Chase credit card, and you'll earn Subaru Bucks so that service is free. Toyota doesn't offer such a card, so my Subaru card puts me well ahead of anyone who bought one of those.

Even the body shop takes them. We used $300 in Subaru bucks, then got reimbursed, and got to keep the cash! That means so far I actually have a profit from service/repair on our Legacy.

Beat that, Toyota.

-juice
  • joeb24joeb24 Posts: 111
    How do I get a Subaru Chase credit card?
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Try this number (866) 393-8038 or (866) 263-7005 I am sure one of them will work. For a new card you may get $25 in Subie bucks just for opening the account

I have three cards now since I got my car in early January, and have already earned $700 in bucks & will get the other $800 by end of this year (of course you have to spend a lot of money, almost $17,000 per card to earn back 3% or $500.
    I neverused to use credit cards now I use them for everything. Even gave one to wife (that may have been a mistake!)

Another tip--for those of you that do a lot of traveling consequent use a lot of gas. Open a Hess Credit Card--for first 90 days you will get 10% off all gas purchases from Hess Stations--5% afterwards.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I've never owned a Toyota to directly compare, but the Subarus we've owned have been cheaper to repair than the Hondas we've owned. If you find a reputable independent mechanic in your area who specializes in Subarus, I'd guess you could save about 20% over a dealer's cost. You could try posting over in the "Subaru Crew Cafe" forum to see if anyone there can recommend a shop in your area, or try the forum "Subaru Crew: Best Service Facilities".

I have had bad experiences taking my Subies to folks who don't specialize in them, even for brakes and wheels (excluding tires), so I wouldn't recommend going just anywhere. Just my two cents.
    Not many Hess stations around here, but Shell has a similar card.

Shell gives 5% of Shell gas (only Shell), and 1% off everything else. Probably comes out to about a 1.05% average. ;)

Subaru's card is better, IMO, you get 3% off everything.

Our dealer let us put $2000 down on our Legacy on the card, right then and there we accumulated $60.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    My friend's garage, that is..... Oy. He sure does a good job on the vehicles, but I'd be amazed if he ever cleaned up after himself.

I tore the engine out of the Subie last night. Took about three hours before I actually had it hanging from the hoist - longer than I had hoped, but I also only had about 12" of clearance on three sides of the car and 6" on the fourth.... doesn't make for very good working conditions. To make the rest of the process smoother, I pushed the car back out into the driveway until I am finished with the engine. As promised, I did take some photos! They weren't overly frequent because I had to take shots only after wiping copious amounts of sludge off my hands, but enough to follow the general process. I think my favorite part is removing the hood from the vehicle because you know you're really gonna tear into the bugger when you do that! The car's mileage this time around is 192,463.

Hahah.... I went ahead and pre-skun my knuckles playing broomball on Wednesday night, so I made it through the engine removal without doing any damage to my hands. That is a good sign.... for me anyway! Typically, I only make it about 10 minutes before the first knuckle starts bleeding. :cry:

I will keep folks updated as the process progresses. I will probably take tonight off since I was up until nearly 0100 and arose for work this morning at 0530.

As always...... :sick:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Shell had a deal a few months ago--open up account with them, use it four times & get $25 off immediately. Got the card, used it four times, stopped using it, got the bill, it had the $25 off paid it, called Shell & cancelled the card then destroyed the card. Now I will use the Hess card exclusively for the next 2.5 months to continue to get 10%. When that is up will go back to my AAA Platinum Visa which can give you 5% off gas purchases, or maybe apply for another Shell Card. Plenty of Shell stations around here in New England. Same for Shell. It's a game you gotta play, if you have the time. Bought a $500 item at Home Depot, got $50 off cause I opened an account, got the bill, got the discount, paid it off then cancelled the card.
    That's hilarious. You beat the system.

Of course you probably spent 8 hours on hold, in which case your hourly rate was below minimum wage. ;)

-juice
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    And your FICO score will take a hit if you keep applying for credit.
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,356
    Wes,

I know I've become a wuss...I wear rubber or latex gloves when working on cars. Clean up is a toss (into the waste basket).

I also know what you mean about the photos. Pretty soon, you're so engrossed in the work you've done twenty things before you remember "I should have taken pix of that!"

Praying for you that it all goes smoothly.

Jim
  • I second the comment about the FICO score. Any of you young people out there or people who are considering buying a home or refiniancing, if you open so many accounts and play that game too often you will take a hit when you need your credit score the most. What may save you minimal dollars through these deals could cost you thousands when you need that credit the most.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    Agree.....

My wife keeps being attracted to these types of offers, and I keep holding her back. We go for a card, use it for a few years, then move on. Back it the '90's it was a Ford Citibank card. Got $3k off a 2 year lease on a Windstar in '00. It basically paid for the first 8 payments or so. When Citibank broke with Ford, they invented 'Drivers Edge', and I got a $500 check when I bought the Subi. We then called Citibank and had them change it to an American Airlines card. Took the family to Florida for free earlier this summer, and have enough miles left for another family trip we are planning for the spring. Also have a Discover Card. When we hit the limits on the other card (max rebates per year), we shift to Discover and take the cash....

We charge everything, pay it off in full every month.

Steve
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    When that is up will go back to my AAA Platinum Visa which can give you 5% off gas purchases...

Double check that - they cut the rebate early in the summer if you only use for gas purchases. I know that my rebate on that card has been more like 2% recently.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    You know, I really should wear gloves.... especially when working with the parts cleaning solvents, but the parts cleaner eats the latex (makes it as slippery as mucus) and I am too single-minded to remember to pick up a pair of solvent gloves on a pass through town. Thankfully, I am finished with the parts cleaning and I am not overly OCD, so i can get by with appropriate amounts of cleaning and not a shiny like-new engine when finished.

I disassembled the engine and reassembled it this weekend. I tell ya, there was way more carbon buildup in those cylinders than I ever imagined would be there! My friend was surprised too, but for all the old cars he tears apart, none of them have anywhere near the mileage of my Subaru! The headgaskets on it were absolute trash.... i am amazed that no coolant was penetrating into the combustion chamber. The coolant actually wasn't escaping anywhere on the HGs. There was oil leaking to the exterior and combustion gases/gunk escaping to the coolant, but no visible coolant escapement. It turns out that i was losing the coolant from the intake port on the top left of the engine... I guess the seal must have given up when I had the water pump issue back in February and it just became progressively worse as time went on.

Status as of right now: The engine is reassembled up to the cam sprockets. I *just* received a call that my timing idler pulley kit arrived, so I can pick that up this evening and hopefully have the engine back in the car before midnight..... we'll see. This 11 mpg pickup is killing my pocketbook.... Well, not as much as the parts (up to almost $800 now) for the car, but at least I have more to show for it than carbon dioxide and water for now!

One final note: Satan must have had a good laugh when the engineers at Subaru designed the right camshaft sprockets (driver's side). :mad:

I'll give a final update as to whether the engine runs, and post a link to a photo site.

-Wes-
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon