Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    You are in the same boat that I am in. Somebody made a seemingly arbitrary decision that SOHC engines from '99 thru some magic date code in '02 will benefit from the conditioner and are deserving of the warranty extension. My '02 hit the dealers lot in Sept, 2001, yet is not covered. What makes it different from it's siblings? Whoever thinks the problem was solved missed something, as mine was dripping at a mere 15k miles...

Well, like I said before, I am going to just roll with it and see what happens. But no, the answers I've gotten are not confidence building.

Steve
  • My left rear OEM tire (RE92) completely blew at 33,000 miles with many tread life left on my 02 LL Bean. Replaced with a Goood Year. After driving 14000 mile on the 2nd set of tires, the nail got the sidewall on my rear left tires (can't be patched) with 9/32 tread life ( brand new 11/32). I am pretty unlucky with road harzard. Order a new set of BF Goodrich tires from Costco. What is the best way to drive safely (10 miles) to Costco with Donut tires. Besides placing a fuse to put the car in the front wheel drive mode, where should I put the donut tire, front or back?

Alland
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,504
    General rule is to put it on the back. Does the '02 Bean have a locking rear differential? Would that cause a problem? :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think that one does have a rear limited-slip differential, so in that case I'd put the spare on the front axle.

-juice
  • 02 Bean does have a LSD for the rear. I am not that bum out about it. I just have to wait for my Odyssey tires (T rated) to wear out, and put the three H rated Good Year tires and RE92 (I saved one RE92 from my first blown out) in my Odyssey since it requires the same tire size and load rating.

Alland
    Yeah, as long as you keep your speeds down, it should be okay for 10 miles on the front. Is the nail still in the tire? If it doesn't leak too fast, you could just leave the tire on it for the trip to the shop.
  • sedona1sedona1 Posts: 4
    The Saga:

Brought car in for a routine 16,000 mile checkup:

Had a set of new front Brake Pads ( under warranty)'
    Brought car in for 36,000 mile checkup. Another new set of Brakes.
    Changed the oil at 41,000 miles.
    Now need a set of Back Brakes and a replacement of the Valve cover gasket.

Is this normal??? It is according to the dealer. Help.
    For brakes?! I replaced the original rears (as far as I know) on my '96 at 194K.... about 6 months ago. The original fronts were replaced at, er, 112K?. Something like that. I was planning on sticking a new set on them this summer at some point and the car will have ~215K. I think something is wrong with yours or poor braking habits. If other vehicles you've owned did not experience similar pad life spans then it probably points to the braking system itself. What kind of fuel economy have you received? I wonder if they are dragging for some reason. No problems with the rotors?

Valve cover gasket is not something with which to be alarmed necessarily. They can be very sensitive to heat and/or slight oil overfills. So, if nothing specific happened to which you can point as a possible culprit, that one could just be bad luck! It is an easy and quick fix. Do not expect them to generally fail that often though.
  • tremtintremtin Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where is the fuel filter for a Legacy Outback (EJ251) 2004? It may sound like a stupid question, but the fuel filter is NOT where I expected to find it(like my 2 other subarus), near the windshield washer fluid tank. I looked everywhere, and I cannot find it.
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 796
    The front brakes were done under warrantee on my wife's 03 Outback at 21k about 6 months ago. The caliper slides were stuck, and wiped out the outer pads. The only sign was a tremendous amount of brake dust on the rims. Rob M.
    I have had several sport cars, and braking is not something I do often. To me it seems like this is a parts defect(I am hoping).
    But since both the front pads have been replaced twice and the rotos once at the 20,000 mile interval
    and the the back are going out at 40,000, I am a bit skeptical. Subura has denied replacing my rear brakes.
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    Tremtin,
    I took my OB 04 sedan for maintenance. The rep told me the fuel filter is in the tank and does not need to be replaced until 60,000 miles.
    Well, then I stand by my original assertion that there is definitely something wrong with the braking system. 40K miles for rear disc pads is insulting. Have you tried to get SoA involved? What was that 800# again, juice? 800-SUBARU3?
    Already called them, and have a "case Number"

But SoAn says that this due to my driving so My cost,
    I will probably dump the car, because I can not depend on it. Thanks for all your advise.
  • petroniopetronio Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if the 2002 wagon came with side curtain airbags? I can't tell from the Edmunds summary.

Mike P
    Poughkeepsie
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I think the side curtain AB only started with the latest model lineup in 05.
    That's a definite No.

-juice
  • I have a 2003 Outback that surged forward into a post while I had my foot firmly on the brake. It surged almost 10 feet. Subaru claims this is impossible. I am looking for anyone who has had a similar experience. The first time this happened was at 1600 miles and the second time at 14,000 miles - in between it ran o.k.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Another Ody owner?

'02 Outback wagon
    '02 Odyssey EX

Put the spare in the front, leave the fuse alone, and drive to Costco.

Steve
    To be fair that does sound hard to believe, and impossible to replicate...

That would require two complete system failures: brakes and throttle. And they're independent of each other.

You sure your foot didn't slip?

The only thing that could release the brakes is the ABS sensor, but you were standing still. Was the car ever submerged in water? A flood car perhaps? That can seriously mess up the electricals. Did you buy it new or used?

As for the throttle, while the car is warming up the RPMs will be slightly elevated, but not enough to oversome the force of the brakes. No way, no how.

In fact the brakes are probably 10 times more powerful than the engine, there is no way they could overcome them completely, which explains my ABS theory - the brakes had to have completely failed.

I don't think they had throttle-by-wire for MY2003, so that's a mechanical system, not electrical.

Maybe the carpet wrinkled up under the pedals and hit the throttle? Nothing else explains this - it would require a mechanical throttle failure and an electrical ABS failure at exactly the same time. :confuse:

-juice
    Hmm.... yeah, that's a tough one, though I think I heard mention of a surge on these boards once or twice before... except the person rear-ended another vehicle in the driveway! Was the car cold or warm? If the idle was at, say 1200-1500 rpms, there is sufficient power to propel the car forward fairly quick, but with the foot planted on the brake.... no way. Did the rpms jump way up when it happened, I mean, did you hear the engine noticably rev? I'm sure your thoughts more were occupied with the MOTION of the car at the time...

I wonder if maybe there is air or some other defeciency in the brake line that allowed you to "bottom out" on the pedal. Maybe a failure in the power assist? That could render your efforts rather moot. I was strap-towed home about 9 miles a couple months ago and my leg was EXHAUSTED by the time I made it home from trying to employ the help of the brakes to stabilize our towing effort! A normal application of the brake would yield exactly zero effect to slow the car appreciably.

:confuse:
  • I am hearing that 1 1/4 inch hitch is the only size that will fit on a sub outback wagon. HARD to find. Would a 2x2 work? Recommend any particular rack?
    thanks vicki
  • Last year I inquired on tires you all like for the OB wagon. I put on the Good Year Assurance set and love them!! Great ride and handling. Thanks. vicki
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    The Outback takes a Class II hitch, which is the 1 1/4". As for a bike rack, depends on how many bikes, and what type you prefer. Check out etrailer.com or bikenashbar for some choices.

Mark
  • Thanks Mark - vicki
  • I had driven about 2 miles before trying to park in a parking space at a shopping center. The car was almost completely stopped when the engine gave a roar and the next thing I knew the hood was in my windshield- it had surged almost 10 feet. If not for a pillar I would have ended up in a 99 cent store window. Nearly hit a man walking in front of my car on the sidewalk. I do not know what the rpms did at that time.
    Ah, well, that does sound like an engine rev! :blush:

Crazy; and, since you were slowing to a stop and not entirely stopped yet, the engine most certainly could have overcome the amount of brake force you were applying at the time. I am wondering if perhaps there is something wrong with the cold idle control or the torque converter. As you were stopping, the motion resistance of the brakes was putting more drag on the engine and lugging the engine. Normally the torque converter allows the slippage that will let the engine keep running (such as when you are stopped at a light with the vehicle in gear). If the ECU detects the engine is cold, it also idles the car faster to warm it up. So, if the torque converter was not slipping properly AND the engine was still cold, it may have overcompensated for some reason and set the idle way too high for just a moment.

Whatever the reason, that is scary... something akin to a horse that bucks! :surprise:
    I'm happy with my OE hitch and bike rack. It only holds 2 bikes, but it does tilt out of the way. It even came with a lock.

Here's a pic. Use Subaru Bucks and it's free (that's the Subaru Chase Master Card program).

-juice
  • Very cool. thanks. sube chase master card? Free bike rack? tell us more!