Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,648
    That is typical of a modern car. They have designed them to be tamper resistant, so a replaced instrument cluster, if done by an authorized agent, will include a "statement" to adjust the displayed mileage with the previous mileage.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup, they don't change the milage, just issue the statement. It's some federal law not to change the milage.

-mike
  • bes001bes001 Posts: 6
    Thank you for your help.

Ben
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The headrests are active, i.e. they move forward in a collision to prevent whiplash.

In IIHS tests Subaru scores all aces in these tests, so at least it's designed that way for a reason.
  • funny you should mention that, it just got a fuel injector flush at the mechanics, so we'll see. im hoping it was that.
  • I bought a pearl white colored 2008 outback with beige inside, I want to use some seat covers to prevent stain, but most seat covers on the market are for seats without airbag, can anyone please recommend some seat covers for seats with airbag ?

Thanks in advance .
  • Both lowbeam headlights are out on my 2001 outback wagon. Checked fuses and all are okay. High beams work fine. Any suggestions?
    Must be the bulbs, then. Weird that they both went out at the same time.
  • Not that strange. Halogen bulbs are manufactured by extremely precise computerized equipment so when one bulb goes, the other being almost identical will often go very shortly afterward.
  • It was the bulbs. Stranger yet was that I replaced one of the bulbs with a spare I had and it still didn't work. Last night I bought two new ones and that solved the problem. Thanks for the input.
    Cool, glad it was that simple (and cheap!).
  • There is a pervasive mouse smell in my 05 legacy. I suspect the poor critter got into the ventalation system and died. I would like to find it and remove. Any ideas where it might be and how to acceess.
    A cat? ;)

Check in the cowl area, where the air intake is for the cabin.
  • I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get the navigation system with a new Outback XT. They are hard to find on the XT, particularly with my favorite color (Diamond Gray Metallic).

If you have it are you glad that you do? My wife has it on her Prius and swears by it. She was unsure about it when shopping for cars, but now uses it all the time.

It's an extra expense plus makes it harder to find a particular color. I would imagine that having it would help resale down the road. From what I read it sounds like the Subaru nav system is challenging to use. Plus, it looks like companies like Garmin make pretty good GPS units in a wide range of models.

A local dealer does indeed have an XT with nav in Silver, but I'm unsure about that color.

So... in your experience is the nav system worth pursuing?
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    lands you in your car in unfamiliar environmet or you hate to get lost or prefer to blame a gadget that you are lost go for nav system.

I use maps.

Krzys
  • Sorry to hear that Subaru still hasn't fixed its ergonomics in the 08 model. You are far from alone in your pain. I have an 05 Outback and had the same issues w/ headrest and driver's seat. I posted here and on other forums some time ago, and received a number of helpful responses in re: the headrest--stating that dealers probably won't/can't adjust it for you, due to liability or warranty issues; but that if you remove the headrest, it is possible to bend the metal posts to adjust the angle; with a warning to be careful not to over-straighten the posts or you won't be able to re-install the headrest: make certain that the headrest will click in and stay put at the selected height, and be sure that it still will protect you in a crash. As for the seats: I added a thick seat-bottom cushion (www.relaxtheback.com). Not perfect, but it helps. This only works if you have enough headroom; otherwise, the add-on cushion will raise you up too high. PS: both of my low-beam headlamps burned out (29,000 mi.). Dealer replaced them under warranty and said that the original headlamps on the 05 are known to be an issue. They replaced them with long-life lamps.
  • We are contemplating a 94 Legacy, said to have 263K miles. I've been told that the timing belt should be changed at 100K or less, and that a broken one will result in bent valves and a seized engine. True?
    The seller claims to not know if/when the timing belt was changed.
    Thanks, Klauwa
    Just budget a timing belt replacement in the purchase cost, a few hundred bucks.

That's some serious mileage! Quarter million mile club.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Personally I feel that you are better off getting an after-market GPS system (such as the Garmin or TomTom) rather than the built in unit. You can save close to a $1000; get something you can use in multiple vehicles inckuding rentals; and the maps are easier to update (from what I have heard).

I think you are better off getting the car/color you want and go aftermarket.

Mark
    Yes, very easy to update. $75 and they mail you a DVD. Hook it up to your computer and it takes about an hour. I went from v6 to v8 on my Garmin c320.

Subaru's update is about $230 IIRC, and you just insert an entire new DVD they send you (actually, 1 of 2).

We've taken ours to Orlando and Tucson, and will use it again next month in Tampa. Never leave home (driving) without it!
  • paulmanpaulman Posts: 10
    I noticed a metal plate on the inside of the hood under the scoop. It can be removed. I guess this will allow cool air to circulate over the engine. Are there and benefits/drawbacks to removing the plate? Thanks all.
    You can remove it and it'll put cool air in the engine, this will also allow water in so it may not be a great idea.

-mike
  • jim1969jim1969 Posts: 62
    how did the TRZ compare to the WR now that you've had them for over a year? I'm going with one of these tires for my wife's FWD Sienna. I'm on Long Island.
  • I am purchasing a new 2007 Outback 2.5i with a manual transmission. I am planning to install a hitch to tow a trailer with a quad and also use the receiver to carry and 4 bike, bike carrier at other times. The dealer hitch(Option A) is rated for GTW of 2750lbs. and a TW of 200 lbs (1.25" class I Hitch). Since the car is new this would all be covered under warranty. My quad and trailer will not exceed the GTW for the hitch, but I am concerned as to how well the hitch will support the bike rack with its low TW.

If I go with an OEM hitch (Option B) it is rated at GTW of 3500lbs. and a TW of 350lbs (1.25" class II Hitch). I would never try to tow beyond the vehicle ratings, but this hitch give me more support for the bike rack and I could install it myself and save a few bucks.

My question is does anyone have experience with Subaru dealers in a situation where their is a warranty drivetrain problem, but the vehicle has an OEM hitch.

Please let me know and also provide opinions on Option A versus Option B.

Thanks
    By OEM do you mean the Subaru hitch? As for the tounge weight it's not really an issue on either hitch as that's really only the tounge weight if a trailer is attached. The tounge weight rating of the hitch is irrelivent as the lower of the hitch and car rating is the one you need to go by.

-mike
  • I have a '97 legacy outback 2.5 with 179000km, got several questions (point form):

1 what is the minimum cold cracking amps needed for the battery, I have checked at a couple shops and I get conflicting asnwers

2 when I'm at idle and turn something on, such as lights, or fans, it sounds like power is taken away from the engine, why does this happen

3 I get about 26 mpg on the highway, can I do better?
    Not sure of the cranking amps needed but I'd get as much as possible, more amps are better.

As for the power you may need a battery or alternator if you are feeling the power loss when turning on accessories.

26mpg is pretty good, driving with cruise on at a lower speed may yield better mpg but on a 10+ year old car 26mpg is pretty good.

-mike
  • asp46rasp46r Posts: 1
    Hi, Anyone know a good source for seat covers for a 2008 Base Outback? The interior is ivory white so I'd like darker seat covers to hide the dirt.
    Thanks, Tim
  • paulmanpaulman Posts: 10
    It's about 20-21 in city driving (suburban Pittsburgh, not the Rubicon Trail exactly). Anything I should look into, i.e, any tricks to improve gas mileage? Car has 110K and smells of gas in the exhaust when I start it. No visible gas leaks. Can I lean the gas/air mixture? Tires have plenty of air, brakes aren't rubbing, new plugs/wires, and bearings are smooth and greased. Thanks all.

Paul
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I have a 2006 OB Wagon and wound up going with aftermarket hitch and have had no problems. This hitch I had installed by Uhaul and for an addtional $5 they give you lifetime warranty on the hitch. On my previous OB I went with a Hidden hitch aftermarket that Paisan installed for me (I'm not that handy around cars :blush: ). I have never had a probelm either way.

Are you ordering the car from the factory or picking it up from the lot? I know when I got my 06, the dealer quoted me around $500 to install the hitch and wiring (I was picking it up from the lot).

Good luck!

Mark