Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I usually have my headlights on as well.

The other issue I have is that most DRL cars have illuminated dashes, which means they can see out the front and their dash is lit. However when I'm coming up behind them, their TAIL LIGHTS aren't lit. I think if you are going to have DRLs they should also turn on the parking lights or the tail lights at the least.

I've almost rear ended several Lexus, Outback, and Volvo drivers that didn't bother to put their lights on after dark.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    DRLs should be like the Toyota ones which are so dim you will quickly notice at night that its not the actual headlights.
    I think all cars should have auto on headlights when they get dark, how expensive can a light sensor be these days?? my 2000 venture had one!
    Well the Lexus/toyota drivers I see drive around w/o their headlights on all the time... With that said, I have auto-on headlights on my Armada and they work great. On the Subie, I just usually leave my headlights on all the time.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    To be fair to Toyota...

You can leave the lights on all the time. Like Subaru, they turn off automatically when you park the car. The only difference is the Toyota gives you a 30 second delay with the lights on, presumably to help if the parking lot is dark.

So it's easy enough - just turn the lights on the day you buy it, and never touch the lights again. :shades:

Also, disabling the DRLs is as simple as removing a fuse/relay. Funny thing is I found out because people wanted to add DRLs simply have to plug in the provided spare fuse.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,524
    The DRLs on Subaru vehicles are quite dim, at least the ones on my '07 and '08, I am not sure about early iterations of DRLs. That does not stop people though. If there is any excuse to be clueless, they will take it. ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Early DRLs just used the bright lights at 90% power.

Now they are far dimmer, and use much less power. You can barely tell mine are on unless you look straight at them.
    not all toyotas have auto headlight off when you remove the key, my wifes sienna does not, neither does my dads avalon. the sienna doe snot even have a chime to remind you
    What year is her Sienna?

I didn't know it at first, because of the 30 second delay, but 2007s have the auto-off feature.
    its an o6 and a LE, I know the 06 XLE has auto off but not the LE that year. boo hoo, she has been stuck once with a dead battery from that (and the kids leaving the lights on inside) when it was subzero here recently.
    You need a PhD to understand Toyota's option packaging.
    That is surprising, especially for a mini-van. With the almost "given" use of the vehicle, one would think the manufacturer would be sure to include safety features that would save the battery from being drained. Even this '98 Caravan I have does that. And I am quite thankful for it as well.

Just Friday night I had turned the interior lighting on while driving the last mile or so to my house. My son needed to see something he wanted to do; I arrived home, shut the car off, unloaded him, and went inside. The next morning, the whole family piles in to the van at -20F. We are about 10 feet from the driveway and I say to my wife, "I think you left a door open." She looks around, asks me which one I think it is, and it dawns on me that I left the dome light activated. :blush:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    my crummy 95 Windstar had a feature which turned off all interior lights after about 10 minutes and a chime for the headlight. Our 00 Venture had auto on headlights (so my wife never turned it on unless it was raining etc) and had the same interior auto turn off lights. Toyota were obviously trying to save a buck. Unfortunately I had to get the LE as I had to have 8 seats and the Toyota is the only real mccoy for that as the Odys 8th seat is for dwarfs.
  • reusareusa Posts: 2
    I was driving one night and stopped at a set of lights. As I was waiting for the lights to
    change the engine completely turned off. It was like I ran out of fuel all
    of a sudden. So I started the engine again and it started as if there was no
    problems. All the warning lights went out and there seemed to be nothing
    wrong with it. As I was continuing to drive I noticed the tacho needle to
    suddenly rise to 1500 rpm and then dramatically drop below 500 rpm after soon
    returning just below 750rpm. This only occurred when the vehicle was
    stationary. It also sputters along at this event until you get it to 40-50. Then there is no problems. On other days it drives fine. It is intermittant. Seems to be happening more frequestly. The vehicle is a four speed automatic if that is of any
    assistance. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with my engine? Any
    help will be greatly appreciated.
    Could be any one of a number of problems. I'd start with fuel filter, then plugs, wires, coil pack, and finally after that a MAF or MAS sensor issue.

-mike
  • nornetnornet Posts: 24
    What model/year and mileage?
  • reusareusa Posts: 2
    It is a 1995 Legacy. It has 170,000 miles. Full tuneup done at 125,000. Dealership has no clue until it does it in the shop. It is so intermittnat that I cant reproduce it at will. One mechanic verifed it and thought that they had it. Carbon in the ?? it didn't work.

RE
    2.2 or 2.5 engine?

-mike
  • My 2004 Outback's (LL Bean Edition) engine always smells hot when I turn it off. It's not running hot per the gauge, and I've had it checked (dealers and independent service folks) several times. Is this common of this car, as it's been happening since I first got it? It just seems like it is melting in there! I'm almost up on my lease and contemplating buying it, so I want to know if this is common...normal.

Thanks!
  • Well, I'm going to stick my neck out here and recommend that you walk away. I'm guessing that you have around 50 or 60 K on the thing, and that's about when the check engine light starts to come on for various reasons, when main seals begin to leak, and sooner or later the head gaskets will blow.
    My Outback has one redeeming quality: it is simply phenomenal in the snow. Other than that, though, it's been nothing short of a series of niggling problems punctuated by major, expensive hassles. I keep mine because I fix it myself (and have more $$ into than I could ever get back by selling), but I spend more time under the hood on that car than I do on all my other cars combined. I have a 4Runner of the same vintage and mileage (140K) that has required nothing more than routine maintenance and runs as well as the day I bought it. Not so for the Subie.
    I'd trade it in for a RAV4 and have a trouble free blast.
    And you might end up with a problematic RAV4, too. Engine hesitation, transmission hesitation, just to name a few.

No vehicle is perfect.

PS I own a Subaru and a Toyota, before anyone screams bias.
    Your engine IS HOT under the hood. It is about 175-200 degrees. So I'm not sure why you are suprised that it's HOT!

As for reliability?

I have a 1994 Legacy Turbo w/150k original miles on it, the last 25k miles have been on track being pushed to it's limit at or near redline the whole time. Routine maintenance is all we've done....

-mike
  • The H6 3.0 engine in LL Bean Edition of Outback (00 - 04 Year) does not have head gasket issue like in H4. As for smelling hot, it is difficult to quantify with sensory skill. I would trust the temperature gauge. So far, I have done only routine maintenance on my 02 LL Bean and am happy with the car.

Alland
  • I'm not surprised that it is hot, as I am fully aware that an engine is hot under the hood. However, I have been surprised at the smell (as have my husband and father). This is the first car I've had (out of 6) that had smelled as if the engine/oil is is burning when I shut off the engine.
    Thanks for your thoughts and information on your car.
  • Thanks so much!
    Take a look under the car and check for any signs of oil leaks - especially anything that might be dripping on the exhaust system. Additionally, if there was an oil change recently, there might have been something dripped or smeared on the exhaust.

Boxer engines are sensitive to oil over-fills; if that happened at any point then there is a chance that one or more seals/gaskets could be developing a leak.
    I received this notice this morning from Joe Spitz at Carter Subaru, in case anyone in the Seattle area is interested:

"Sunday Feb 24th we're having a free Child Seat inspection from 10am-2pm. There will be experts here to make sure that the child seat is properly fit in your car. It's from 10-2 and food will be served (!), and it's First Come, First Served so arriving early is a good idea!! It's in our Quick Service building next door and there will lots of room for you and kids."

I will not vouch for the grammar, but there you have it nonetheless.

Have a great weekend, folks!

-Wes-
  • I've read about a lot of problems with head gaskets and catalytic converters in the 00-03 range. I am looking to buy a used legacy but don't want to up the price to an 04 do the previous models eg 95-99 era have better reliability in this area? I've also looked at some vehicle which have already had these items fixed. Is this a one time fix or a potentially reocurring problem due to design flaw? Any input or experiences is appreciated. Thanks
  • Hello,
    I'm thinking about buying a Legacy or a Forester 1998-2000 less than 80,000 miles, I have several options in my areas, but suddenly I'm hearing head gaskets rumors. Are those serious?
    What else should I been concerned with these two cars. I know anything can go wrong with used cars, I'm talking about problems specific to those two models
    Thanks
    Phil
    It depends - the revised gasket material is better, but you want to make sure that block never overheated severely. It's an alloy block.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,678
    Not sure how widespread the issue was, but yes, those early DOHC 2.5 Subies from that timeframe were prone to head gasket failures.

Bob