Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• steine13steine13 Posts: 2,409
    That's what I meant by "at least 2".

Many (all?) modern engines have the first O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. That means two sensors for V and boxer engines. Anyone know how many sensors there are in Vokswagen's W-12 engine :-) ?

-m
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I wasn't disagreeing, just being more specific. I'd say I'm thinking of the WRX but I'm not sure.

W12 is a mess. Way too complex for the given output.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    My '96 L w/o the cat and the O2 sensors in place doesn't even throw a CEL! I have to throw the OBDII scanner on it one of these days and see what it says.

-mike
    That might just be OBD Level I, not II. I could be wrong.

-juice
    Oh, I thought it was '97, guess not.

-juice
  • I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I haven't been able to find it. Assuming you have chains that will fit an '03 Outback, does it make any differrence which axle you put the chains on? (Or do you need to put them on both axles?)

Thanks, Jim
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,335
    Which axle to install chains (or new tires) is a discussion item with very strong opinions on both sides.

Here's MY opinion: if you're only putting them on one axle make it the rear. If the front has more traction than the rear, there's a greater chance of the rear end coming around and spinning the car. Yes, many people argue that it should be on the front because the front controls where you are going...but if the tail swings around, you're not going where you intended anyway.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a convincing argument for putting them on the front axle.

If the situation warrants chains, I'd do both axles or postpone the trip. (It reduces the potential need to change underwear! What was Bill Cosby's line?..."First you say it, then you do it.")

Jim
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Crew chat starts in ~ an hour. Link's on the left.

Steve, Host
    Get low clearance chains and put them on both axles, I think Z-chains makes a model that fits Subies.

-juice
  • kmcleankmclean Posts: 173
    I say park the car, head to Hawai'i, and come back in April.

Cheers and Happy New Year from the snowy PNW!

Ken in Seattle
  • Jim, Thanks for the input, if I have to put them on I'let you know what I do and how they work,

Ken, Love the Hawaii idea but I'm stuck trying to get to our home in southern Oregon in the next few days.

Thanks, Jim
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    Hello,

I have about 40k miles on my original Wilderness tires and will probably look to change them out around March. I generally drive about 25k miles/ yr. The choice for me is probably the Michelin MXV4's as I have had them on front-drive cars and had amazing results in snow...can't wait to have them on my Outback!

Any comments about plus sizing them? I live on the seacoast of NH so I have to deal with snow, sleet, freezing rain etc for about 5 months of the year.
  • emtemt Posts: 39
    Looking to buy a used 2002-03 Legacy sedan. I heard somewhere that there were problems with the exhaust manifolds on the 02's. Can anyone give me any insight? Also, do the rear seats fold in these cars? I have a 93 Legacy that has treated me well, that is why I am looking to buy another.
    Exhaust manifolds? Maybe they meant head gaskets, even then few 2002s have that issue.

2000 was the first model year for that body style, by 2002 they had ironed out most issues. We have a 2002 Legacy L that has been reliable.

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    Michael,

Assuming they would fit (and I don't believe anything bigger than 235mm would), it is the wrong way to go for bite in snow.

Steve
    To my knowledge, the rear seats do not fold in 2000-2003 Legacys. It does have a small pass thru for skis & stuff.

Jim
    2000 Legacy sedan
    Something we will check on the US-spec 2005s at Detroit!

-juice
    Yeah, I sure hope Subaru starts to include them. I'm sure there are people who remove Subie sedans from consideration because of it.

Jim
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    according to the subaru owners manual, i believe that they are supposed to go on the fronts. Why? Cause when you are turning the rear wheels gripping, aren't gonna help you turn, yes they'll help you GO, but not turn however.

I'd put em on both, but if I had to choose 1, I'd do front.

-mike