Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ffsteveffsteve Posts: 243
    mammothsun, I was aware of a "large" dealer in Irvine area, but had not looked them up or visited them (in person or by net).

Now I have, their site looks good and from the volume they claim, perhaps I can arrange a deal.

Thanks!

Steve
  • cejensencejensen Posts: 1
    Hello,

Has anyone driven their Outback on the rough (4WD) roads of Utah, around Canyonlands? I have heard that a high clearance 4WD is required, so I have wondered if my 2000 Outback could take it. I can image that the wheel clearance is a concern, but the (relatively) soft, urbanized suspension could be trouble too.

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Chris: I'm not familiar with that area specifically, but my Foreter has been fine for the beach and for driving around orchards and farms.

Have you been before? I'd avoid boulder-hopping trails, but milder ones should be OK. You could get taller springs from iSR and higher profile tires to gain ground clearance, if you wanted, but your ride would deteriorate.

-juice
  • I want to wire trailer lights to my St wagon. the dealer has a kit for $117, and they mentioned problems with the AS if I wired an off the shelf converter. Has any one had experience with this, It seems to me that AS would not be affected buy added tail lights/converter.
    Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I think only the Forester and Outback are pre-wired for a plug-in harness, but sorry, no specific info on the GT.

You could probably splice into the taillight, but you'd need a shop manual for that (or a lot of trial and error).

-juice
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    Clearance is not really the problem. The way I see it the problems with the OB off-road are:
    1) The approach and departure angles are a little wimpy to do anything serious.
    1a) No real skid plates. You can get a rear diff protector but there is not much up front
    2) No low range in US specs. If you do get stuck a little you cannot crawl out.
    3) Winch mounting hardware would have to be custom made. You can stick to light trails without one if you are careful and travel with others that have tow ropes BUT I would not go off-road solo without it.

Still, the AWD is fun on light trails. I have taken it "off-road" but only when I have been with friends that were in more serious SUVs. I never had to get pulled out of anything. Then again I try not to get over my head and kill my wifes car. I can only do this stuff when she is not around.
  • jeffsaxejeffsaxe Posts: 4
    Excellent advice, nematode. Both about the careful and sensible off-road driving, and about not killing one's spouse's car. :-)

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound stupid. I've driven other people's cars, and occasionally (like in really cheaply made cars) I notice that when I'm turning the steering wheel the edge doesn't seem to stay at the same distance from the center while it's rotating. Perhaps they are bent slightly, or perhaps mounted off-center, but it certainly looks weird to me, and I wouldn't think it's intentional. Our Nissan Sentra's wheel seems absolutely circular and perfect in this regard. But recently I noticed this oddity about my Dad's Volvo, which is not a poorly made car, or at least it shouldn't be for the amount they charge!

OK, so now we've had this wonderful new Outback Limited station wagon for a few weeks, and I notice the same thing about it! And this is certainly not a cheaply made car; everything about it is finished beautifully, and we love it. Am I imagining this? The edge really does seem to move about 3/4 of an inch during a rotation. Is it a defect? Is it intentional design, trying to get a larger opening in the wheel's middle so I can see the instruments? Is it a result of the aesthetic design of the steering wheel and airbag? The mechanical design of the tilting feature? Please, somebody give me some justification for this, or tell me I'm crazy, or tell me I should go to the dealer to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance!
  • ffsteveffsteve Posts: 243
    Jeffsaxe, I don't know specifically about Outback wheels, but it used to be common for steering wheels to NOT be round. Particularly in the 60's and 70's it was common for wheels to be flattened a bit on the bottom, or be somewhat rectangularized (if I can make up a word). Now, if the out-of-round condition was different between turning the wheel right and left, you might have cause for concern but otherwise just enjoy.
    Steve
  • theobtheob Posts: 148
    My parents have been out to the Canyonlands several times in the last couple years. They would not take their 4WD Suburban on most of the trails there due to approach and departure angles. And they need 4WD just to get home 5 months of the year! Dad said you'd need a tricked-out rig w/ high clearance and high angles for many of the Canyonlands trails. There are probably trails you could take the OB on, but they'd be mostly sand. Could probably beat the SUV's on those!
    HTH, Theo
  • vdchawkvdchawk Posts: 40
    Pat,

My VDC gets around 20 MPG, normally stop and go traffic, I have not been on any long trips to see the highway figure. I do have a heavy foot, and like to push that little engine (my last car was a 300HP V8).

The VDC should correct both over and understeer in all conditions. I have said in other posts that I have yet to get it to correct on wet or dry pavement, only on ice and snow. When I picked the car up we were getting 8-12 inches of snow, and I went out the dealers back entrance because a small 2wd car was completely stuck in the front. The back way was around 8 inches of untouched snow. The car performed as though the road was dry, and only the traction control light came on once or twice. I really needed to push the limit of safe snow driving to get the VDC to correct a skid.

Good Luck,

Keith
  • mplantanmplantan Posts: 3
    Hope someone can help.
    Thinking about buying Outback Wagon but have some concerns
    1 : Travel in mountains in N.C. is the 4 cyl dependable and have enough power,will be loaded with two kids and roof rack ?
    2: Should I consider Manual Trans does it have more pep ?
    3 : One we are looking at has Firestone Wilderness tires should i ask them to replace and does anyone know if they will ?
    4:How comfortable is the car on long trips?
    5: Pricing : Is at invoice possible or a couple hundred over a good deal around Chicago
    Any Info would be great Thank You
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I guess I'll just answer your questions in order.

1. I think the 2.5 H4 is very dependable and has a good amount of power. But, power is relative. You should really just drive one and see for yourself. Maybe even drive a LLBean H6, which may provide you with the ample power you desire.
    2. The manual trans is a tad quicker, but it is only available in the H4 models.
    3. The Firestone Wilderness tires on Outback are NOT the same ones that have been troubled with Fords. They're a rebadged all season performance tire that Subaru & Firestone decided to name Wilderness to go with the Outback 'ruggedness'. Having said that, they aren't the greatest of tires, they have good wet and dry traction, not great on snow, but ok. I think the Michelins were better (they were on the pre 2000 Outbacks). We'll probably switch to those once the originals wear out.
    4. I find the car very comfortable on long and short trips.
    5. Should be no problem getting a '01 Outback at invoice. Not sure about the VDC and LL Bean models though.

-Brian
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    ANYONE have info on current finance rates? Subaruis advertiseing 2.9% for what I assume
    is 2 or 3 years. Any info on longer terms?
    GAM
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Posts: 317
    I've got a 2000 OB Ltd with about 8K over the past year:
    1) I agree with Brian. Test drive both the H4 and the Bean to determine for yourself whether the H4's power is adequate. I drive approximately 60city/40hway and I fing it fine for my purposes for around the Chgo area, however I don't have to contend with chugging up mountains.
    2) I've got an auto trans so can't comment on the MT but everyone says that it IS peppier with the manual.
    3) Agree with Brian 100% on the Firestones. I've got em and just make sure that I check the inflation about once per month. They are not the greatest tires but then again they are not the worst.
    4)Couple hundred over invoice or less for an H4 should be doable around Chgo. Not sure about the Bean, I haven't priced them.
    Ron
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Posts: 317
    I've got a 2000 OB Ltd with about 8K over the past year:
    1) I agree with Brian. Test drive both the H4 and the Bean to determine for yourself whether the H4's power is adequate. I drive approximately 60city/40hway and I find it fine for my purposes for around the Chgo area, however I don't have to contend with chugging up mountains.
    2) I've got an auto trans so can't comment on the MT but everyone says that it IS peppier with the manual.
    3) Agree with Brian 100% on the Firestones. I've got em and just make sure that I check the inflation about once per month. They are not the greatest tires but then again they are not the worst.
    4)Couple hundred over invoice or less for an H4 should be doable around Chgo. Not sure about the Bean, I haven't priced them.
    Ron
  • 2ndwnd2ndwnd Posts: 145
    I've been away from these boards for about six months or so. I read and posted frequently while I was waiting to get my 00 Legacy L Wagon last year, and for a time afterward. Now its been in the body shop for a week, and I find myself missing it so much I guess I subconsciously came back here to read and talk about Subarus as a substitute while I can't drive my own!
    I ended up with a rented Saturn L200 to drive in the meantime. Nice car, but an automatic, and just kind of bland. And the other day I hit the gas and the front wheels spun for a second, something I haven't experienced in awhile. Weird two wheel drive cars...
    Now that I've read the last month or so of posts, I have a few comments:

Not sure what's up with the guy who installed a K&N air filter into his 00 Outback and heard a bunch of noise. I did the same and haven't noticed any change. Maybe something didn't seat right?

As for mileage, with the H4 and a five speed, I normally average about 25 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. On longer trips I've gotten anywhere from 27 to 32 depending on the load and if I'm using the A/C.

Now for a question. The 00 Legacy Wagons have a single speed, constantly moving rear wiper. I hate it, and I've heard others say the same thing. On the 01's they put a delay on it. Has anyone looked into upgrading an 00 to a delayed rear wiper using the 01 Subaru delay mechanism?

Dave B
    We have a 2k OB Ltd. (auto) with 30k miles so far.
    In order:
    1) We loaded out Outback up with 3 people, my 80 lb. dog, wifes 23 lb. cat, tons of stuff, a Thule cargo carrier (full), and drove about 2000 miles. It was about 800lbs total. That included going through the mountains of PA and VA. In my opnion the H4 does just fine. Sometimes you have to push it but even on I76 you can accelerate up the worst grades even fully loaded. We get 17 city / 25 highway. Our 80-90% highway commute gets us 23mpg. It you go over 70mph the fuel economy gets much worse.
    2) Its even better with the manual but my wife did not want one. I personally dont find it under powered at all even with the auto. Its not a sports car!! Its a wagon.
    3) Firestones: just check the pressure once a month. They should be fine. I keep my wifes at 35psi all around instead of 30/29.
    4) Its super comfortable on long trips. We put 26k on it the first year.
    5) Dont pay more than a couple hundred over invoice for any of their models. Even the VDC can be had for around $29k now.

The only problems have been with reliability. 8 trips to the dealer in the 1.5 years. 1 recall, broken CD changer, leaking rear door seals (fixed), driver side stopped closing properly (2 trips to 2 dealers and still not fixed completely), O2 sensor (not recall related), broken radio (different than the CD changer), weird noise from engine (still does it sometimes), brake cable adjusted (was starting to catch REALLY low). The car is not a lemon or anything like that but its not holding up as well as I thought it would.

Still, we like the car and it has not had any major drive train problems yet but it had lots of little annoying ones.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,810
    23 lb cat???? What is it - a domesticated mountain lion??
    Its a big domestic cat. We get some werid looks at the vet and when friends come over. You just have to see it to believe it. Even then he does not look real. His "little" sister who we also have is 16lbs. His head nearly comes up to my knee so he actually carries the weight without looking like a bowling ball. Dont get me wrong...he is chubby and you cannot pick him up with one hand without damage to your spine. All his brothers and sisters (taken in as a stray litter that our relatives have) are all in the 16-20lb range too. They also have 7 (yes seven) fingers so his paws look even more HUGE.
    Wow. My dog is only 12 lbs! He's way out of his league!

-juice
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I'm showing up to 6.9% on 60.
    just to transport all our animals to the vet at the same time. The dog rides in the back seat and the 2 cats go in "cat" carriers in the way back. The cat carriers we have to use are actually flight crates for dogs 20-40lbs. They outgrew their normal cat carries by 8 months old. We measured the wagons we were looking at to make sure everyone would fit properly. I cant believe we have had them for 7 years.
  • evilizardevilizard Posts: 195
    Try hitting them up for 5.9% for 59 months. Thats what we did.
    ... how many were going to St. Ives?

We have three cats, no dogs. The one male cat tips the scales at 14+ lbs, mostly muscle. He doesn't like to go in a carrier, but he is a big baby, so he'll just cling to one of the passengers, and the others ride in the carriers.

And of course the correct answer to the question above is one. Me. The rest were going the other way. In a Subaru naturally.
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    I have two dogs 92 and 97 lbs. Will I be able to put them in cargo area (without crates). I do that now with my Isuzu Trooper, but Trooper cargo area is a lot bigger than Legacy/outback. Anyone in similar situation? Tx.
    Ask a dealer to try it out. If they are interested in selling you a car, that's what it will take.

Maybe take a carpet remnant to keep it clean, but they should let you try. I'd be concerned with their height.

-juice
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    A couple of months ago I saw a Legacy wagon with two full grown mastiffs in the back! About 350 lbs. total, maybe more. They seemed quite content.

Ross