Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nope, that's a wear and tear item.

My '98 has been fine, 77k miles and going strong.

You can replace head gaskets for about $300 per side, so it's not exactly a devastating loss. As mentioned above the key is to stop the engine before you have severe overheating that might cause warping and give you much bigger problems.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    so what am I supposed to look out for on my 98 Legacy 2.5 DOHC with 115K? Its running better now than it did a few years ago and my last oil analysis was looking great, will I see coolant in the oil???
    I had a 86 Integra whose water pump went at 75K (after I declined a recommendation to replace it at 60K by the dealer because"all Honda water pumps go after 60K"). Didn't even overheat much but the engine was toast after that. cafe au lait in the radiator.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    It depends on where the gasket(s) fail.... it could be coolant in oil, or coolant in combustion chamber, or combustion gunk in coolant (easy to notice that one because it builds up in the overflow tank's walls).... I think the coolant into the combustion chamber is the one that causes the severe overheating. Someone correct me if I am wrong! It could also leak to the exterior... either oil or coolant or both!
    Smooth as Butter!

When is the last time I gave an update on the head gasket project?! I'm slacking here....

I put timing together and stuffed the engine back in the car on Monday night.... then reassembled everything on Tuesday night and could have tried to start it except that I forgot to bring the coolant with me!!!! Argh. Oh well.... I made one last trip over on Wednesday night, filled the coolant, and then started it. Initially it flooded - probably due to some oil loss from the hydraulic lifters (? not sure if that is the right term for the OHC hydraulics) and they were not opening the valves appropriately for a few rotations. I cleared the flood with a couple more cranks and it fired up - All told, about 9-12 spins of the engine. After that.... smooth as butter! Wow. Above 1000 RPM it is just glassy smooth all the way to 5500 (too timid to push it further!). After about 100 miles on it, I am loving the smooth power delivery and complete lack of hesitation.... both things that were not present before! Shoot, this is almost as good as when i put new shocks on it last year. :D

I am just thrilled that it runs at all, let alone so well. I hope it lasts! As promised, I am working on the photos and I have them downloaded to my computer, adjusted for web-viewing and ALMOST ready to post. As soon as I have a page built around them, I will post the link for you avid photo maniacs (juice!).

-Wes-
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    Karl,

The problem seems broader than that. My '02 OBW already failed once (at 15k miles), yet is not covered by the '00 - '02 warranty extension. The VIN numbers are not inclusive. Why? I called SoA, but got no answer on this. No recommendation on whether the conditioner will help either (although I suspect it will, given that my external leak matches the pattern of the SOHC gasket failures). So I could be on my own if it goes again...

Steve
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,334
    Congrats Wes. Sounds like a job well done. I remember the sense of accomplishment back when I had the energy and desire to work on my cars. Felt great.

Jim
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Steve:

That sucks. You kind of feel left out when other cars in the same model year are included and yours is not for some reason. At least with my 98, we are all in the same boat. Misery loves company, or something like that.

My 98 has been OK for about 50K miles now, and I am approaching 100K on the car. I am hoping that my head gasket job was done with the "newest" gaskets that seem to be performing better. Time will tell.

Karl
    Way to go, Wes! You should be proud buddy!

-juice
  • ebony5ebony5 Posts: 142
    Good going Wes. If you are ever in NYC I have a nice '96 OBW which would appreciate your touch
    hahah..... well, I haven't posted the photos yet - you might change your mind!!!! :blush:
    Add my congratulations to the list. Did you get the snow that was forcast?

About 27 or so years ago in Potsdam, NY (near the Canadian boarder), I went thru what you just did on my pride and joy - '72 Mercury Montego. Once the snow drifts formed, we had a nasty time getting the car back into the garage to complete the installation. I never want to have to do this stuff again, unless maybe, for an antique restoration project.

Steve
  • are outback projector headlights HID?
    No, they are regular halogens, but the projector beam does allow for a more focused light.

Only the STI has HIDs.

-juice
    No...... actually the weather has stayed relatively warm for this time of year - especially at night as it hasn't dipped below 40F for at least a couple of weeks. It sure has been raining though! I'd rather have snow than rain at this point. Ugh.

The car is still running.... that's good news. I also tore into the dash today to figure out what is wrong with my heating system / fan, and isolated the problem with no heat: the temperature selector slide is cable-connected.... with the heat side of the slide pushing the cable and the cold side pulling it. Instead of the cable pushing the flap that controls air access to the heater core, it was just flexing. I gave the flap a good push and it opened right up with a grateful gush of hot air! Thankfully, that's a spot that I can access once the glove box is back in place, so it should be a non-issue from now on. I think I have also isolated the intermittent fan operation to the motor itself. When the motor is not working, if I give the motor housing a thump, it will start up. I'm going to tear it apart and see if I can clean it up / re-lube it, but it might require replacement (gar!).

Still working on the photos..... I'm having an issue accessing the site from a browser, though I can upload files to it just fine!

-Wes-
    Okay, as promised.... here is the site. Rudimentary at best, but the photos are there and there's annotation along the way. I will probably fiddle more with the site as time goes on; maybe put up some photos from my first foray back in 2003 for comparison or something. I also have full-size photos of the ones posted, just do not have them linked yet!

Enjoy, juice!
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    wow, great job and thanks for the photo and story behind each.

-Brian
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,334
    Wes,

Great job. Thanks for the photos...like I wrote previously, pretty soon you're so busy working you forget to take pix.

A real accomplishment! Way to go.

Jim
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Wes,

Nice pics, and an awesome job! Thanks for the blow-by-blow.

Enjoy!

Mark
    Slacker! Had to rest on only the second day? Man, the good lord waited to the seventh, and he did a heck of a lot more work than you did!!! :P

Nice job - great documentation!

Steve
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    Pretty cool, Wes. I had the same Outback - a 96 2.5 in Spruce Pearl Green. I would never be brave enough to do what you did! Rob M.