Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If your windshield has the heating elements for defrosting the windshield wipers your insurance has to pay for the proper replacement, end of story.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    cvis2cvis2 Member Posts: 1
    My dealer told me that my AWD Outback Wagon can be used on beach sand but I'm a little anxious about getting stuck. Anyone have experience with off-road beach use?

Thanks
    David
    Cvis@aol.com
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't want to steal Juice's thunder (or anyone else's), so I'll just point you in the direction of the SUV for Beach Sand discussion where you can browse while waiting for some responses.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A number of us have driven Subies on the sand. The biggest problem with the Outback is that it has a very poor angle of approach, as well as a poor angle of departure. It could(?) cause problems climbing or descending steep dunes.

Bob
  • Options
    ddtyddty Member Posts: 12
    Subaru already has a solution to fix the brake sqeaky noice. Some people posted this info about 2 month ago at this board. I had my LLBean brake fixed ~40 days ago. So far the fix (with new brake skim) works fine. I only heard some very light, short squeak few times after fixing.
  • Options
    My LLBean had oil change about 1k miles/one month ago. Oil level was at full scale. Now the oil is down to middle of dipstick. Sent it to dealer today. The check report says, no leaks found, only 1/4 qt oil low, is normal for mileage. (total 3.3k miles on this car.).
    I haven't seen any report or posts on the subaru boards about oil lose of new H6 engine.
    Did anybody find your H6 Outback drinks engine oil?
    Is this really normal?
    Thanks
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    1) did you make sure to check it on level surface? The H6 engines are very susceptible(sp) to being severely mis-read on even slightly non-level surfaces.

2) 1Q/1500 miles is not un-heard of on some cars. My Trooper used to eat about 1Q ever 1600miles for the first 5-8K miles then I switched to synthetic and it only uses 1Q ever 3500 miles now, not sure if it was the synthetic or if it was being absorbed for the first 5K.

-mike
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yes, definitely make sure the vehicle is on a level surface. I have noticed a slope can throw off the reading on the H4 too.

I have never had to add oil to my OB-H4 between changes, and I wouldn't expect the H6 to be any different.

Craig
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I need some help with class 1 trailers and towing.

I am trying to buy a 5x8' utility (low sided type w/drop down tailgate) trailer to tow behind my '02 OBW (H4 automatic). I bought and already installed the Subaru hitch kit (P/N L1010LS000). It came with a 1.25" draw bar with a very short tab welded at the end, on which I installed a 1.875" hitch ball. There is a picture of the draw bar & ball in the sales brochure & accessories brochure. The final height of the top of the ball (with me sitting on the bumper to simulate a 170 lb tongue weight) is about 17.25" off of the pavement.

Problem 1: I looked at several class 1 utility trailers. They typically come with 12" wheels and sit about 12-13" off the ground. The tongue coupler is on a 4 ft extension bar out front. When you attach the coupler to the hitch ball, the trailer is now on a steep angle, with back end sitting about 4" off the ground!! Not good.... I thought about flipping the draw bar over to lower rather than raise the ball mount, but the mount is too short for the trailer coupler. I asked about a drop-down style bar, but was told that class 1 don't usually need them - maybe a special order item at a hitch shop??? What am I doing wrong? Is the Subaru butt end unusually high for class 1 operation?

Problem 2: I read (I think on the VDC board) that over 1000 lb loads should have trailer brakes (electrically actuated??). Yet the three class 1 (2000lb GVW) mfgrs I spoke with do not supply brakes until class 2 (3500lb). So what is safe and acceptable? Who makes the rules? What's a fella to do???

Steve
  • Options
    ob11ob11 Member Posts: 28
    I took delivery on my 02 AWP base model OB on Saturday and I just wanted to give my first impressions. I don't have any problem getting the vehicle to move quite smartly with the manual transmission, but I am have trouble feathering the clutch when starting from a dead stop. I think it is the greater engine torque coupled with a more responsive throttle than my 5 spd. Accord EX. I am very satisfied with the noise level and the firm ride with a touch of tightness that makes me want to take the back road. Break-in at below 4000 rpm isn't a problem as 4000 rpms @ 5th gear is close to 85 mph. Can't seem to figure out the control stalks...yet. The car has a nice stick to the road feel that gets even grippier with the throttle on. Couldn't really find any defects, and the was surprised at how dark the blue was. I'll keep you posted if anything crops up. Thanks!
  • Options
    Re: #1
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for that. I would go to a hitch shop and get their advice.

Re: #2
    You're correct about the trailer brakes. If you don't have them, Subies are only rated to tow 1000 pounds. BTW, Subaru is not alone with the 1000 pound trailer brake restriction. The Pathfinder, Blazer and TrailBlailer also have the same weight restriction. I know there are others too.

You're also correct about not being able to find a Class I trailer with brakes. I have yet to find one. Here in Maryland any trailer that weighs 3000 pounds or more, is required by law to have brakes. Trying to find any trailer that is rated for under 3000 pounds, let along 1000 pounds, with brakes is just about impossible. You can have them added, but it's costly.

The trailer dealers I've spoken recommend electric brakes.

Bob
  • Options
    Chris: what you're probably feeling when you start off in first gear is due to the AWD providing more traction than your Honda. This is noticeable even on dry pavement. It puts more emphasis on clutch slippage. I have found that I can get away with very little feathering on the Outback, but it took a week or so to get it straight. If you do slip the clutch a little and let the revs get up there as you start moving, the car really rockets off the line. I wouldn't do this on a regular basis, however!!

Steve: typically, you can flip the bar over to adjust the ball height, and this should give you ± 2 to 3 inches of adjustment. But if the mounting plate is too short to accomodate the ball on the other side, I guess that won't work. Strange -- all of the hitches I ever installed or used came with a bar that worked either way. It should be possible to buy another bar that will fit into the Subaru receiver, so maybe you can look for one with a bigger mounting plate. If you can find out who makes the Subaru hitch, that would be a good starting point. Let me know how it all works out, as a utility trailer is on my list too.

Craig
  • Options
    The checks were done on a same spot of my two car garage, which has a level concrete surface. The dealer also confirmed the 1/4 qt oil lost. The oil added by the dealer is Penzoil 5W-30.
    I hope mike is right, my LLBean will drink less and less oil till stop eat it when more miles added on it.
    If the engine keeps eating oil, what shall I do? Ang suggestions are welcome.
    Maybe I need post the info on VDC board, too.

Thanks.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    (or was that tribbles...) Thanks for the replies. Staying under 1k lbs to avoid the brakes issue could be difficult. The trailer weighs a good few hundred lbs empty. What about pop-up tent campers? Do they come with brakes? How do electric brakes work? It cannot just be triggered by the brake lights as you would want proportional pressure relative to the vehicles service brakes. Maybe a potentiometer mounted on the brake pedal???

The problem with the stock draw bar is that the welded tab is very short. I didn't actually take the ball off and try it, but just held the bar upside down against the trailers tongue coupler. The wide flange on the coupler ran into the bar, leaving the center point of the coupler about a half inch short of lining up with the center point of the ball. Maybe it could be forced into place, but it would surely bind on turns.

Are they suppose to be reversible by design?? Maybe I got a bad part. Guess I will have to make a trip to the local U-haul dealer and see what they have to offer. The Subaru hitch kit wasn't cheap, so I would be disappointed if I now have to throw in another $20 to make it right. Not a big deal, just annoying. Wanted to drive the trailer home yesterday....

Steve
  • Options
    Most are reversible.

1/4Q/ 1000 miles isn't a lot. I would just make sure to check it. 1/4Q/1000 miles = 1Q/3K which is = 1 oil change. See what happens when you hit 5K-10K miles but I know no car company is going to do anything about 1/4Q per 1000 miles.

-mike
  • Options
    Not sure about pop-up trailers, nor about how electric brakes work.

You may want to pop over to the "Towing Tips for SUVs" in the SUV forums, and post your questions there too. There's been some discussion of late on trailer brakes.

Bob
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    I have heard of Surge Brakes, which are coupled to the trailer tongue and hitch in a way to activate the brakes automatically when the tow vehicle slows, causing the trailer to press against the hitch. Gives a proportional response to that the harder the stop, the harder the trailer brakes are applied.

So there is no connection between the car and the trailer, but I would think it would be a pain to adjust correctly.

steve
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    I just went to the Towing Tips for SUVs forum. (Should have visited there before piping up above. )

Yes, there is a LOT of information there on trailer brakes.

s
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    I have posted several times in the last year or so on my experiences with our 00 Outback. I have towed a pop-up tent trailer more than 8,000 km so far, up and down some pretty good grades and on gravel. It is small, about 1,000 lbs empty, and more like 1,300 lbs with our camping stuff thrown in it. It has no brakes and I have had no problems, I just have to modify my driving to take it into account. I can't see our cops worrying about such things (I hardly ever see a cop anyway) unless you wind up pranging someone or jack-knifing, but even so, I don't think I would want to tow very much more without trailer brakes. Safety aside, it is very hard on the car's brakes.

I also have a 5 x 4 utility trailer sans brakes. It weighs about 150 lbs. Both trailers have tiny 8" rims; the tent rides level; the ute trailer tilts down at the back slightly but not enough to cause problems or concern. The hitch was put on at the dealership before we picked up the car new. It is actually made by Hidden Hitch or Drawtite (can't remember which). Maybe I can take a picture of it tonight, if I remember.
  • Options
    ob11ob11 Member Posts: 28
    Hi folks! I noticed on the Subaru website under the specification/features section for the OB wagon that "Body colored mirrors and door handles" are supposed to be standard. My base model came with black ones. I noticed this while trying to figure out why (IMHO) the limited version and up looked so much better than the base model. What gives? In any event, it is not as noticeable on the dark colors.
  • Options
    annie20annie20 Member Posts: 6
    We have been searching for a wagony vehicle to replace our aging Toyota. We keep returning to Subaru because of it's crash test results. (Our daughter is getting her licence in a few months.) A negative for Subaru is they have no program to make the vehicle driveable for me. I had polio and need the pedals altered. Every other make we checked out makes the changes free if one buys a new or demo vehicle. Ford offers up to $1000, GM up to $1000 depending on the vehicle, Toyota up to $750 etc. The rebate comes from the company not the dealer. We wonder why Subaru doesn't offer this too. It seems unfriendly. Can you please help me with this Patti?
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    you may want to check in the Subaru Crew Meet the Members topic (can get there from the Owners club link at the top of the page). Patti does her best to check most of the Subaru forums.

-Brian
  • Options
    RE post 3321, the body coloured mirrors and handles are part of the limited package in the Outback, and the GT package in the Legacy, all others get unpainted handles and mirrors.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I agree, it's ridiculous that SOA doesn't provide these things free of charge. My aunt had to pay like $100 for the seat belt extender and couldn't get it for almost a year after she bought her car. I am not sure what gives but it isn't a good practice IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Does anyone know when in-dash CD players will be standard in the Legacy and Outbacks instead of cassette players? I read that the 2002 Legacy would have AM/FM/CD standard but current web sites still show cassette players; is the 2002 Legacy/Outback out yet? Seems silly to pay extra for a CD while having a cassette that will see rare use if any.
  • Options
    I thought most of the subies already had AM/FM/Tape/Single CD as a std. with the 6-disc optional.

-mike
  • Options
    are, as far as I know, the only Subies that come with a 6-disk CD changer standard. I'm almost certain the none of the H-6 models have this feature standard, which seems odd...

Bob
  • Options
    I figured they would have 6-discs std. Then again I own about 6 cds all of which have been burned off Napster so I'm not one to talk about CDs.

-mike
  • Options
    david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    I just got one, and the single CD player was an option.

David
  • Options
    mcnal01mcnal01 Member Posts: 32
    My high beam suddenly came on by itself and is now locked on high beam. Moving the switch does nothing and the blue high beam indicator light stays on regardless of the switch position.
    96 Legacy L wagon. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge no Subaru other than the WRX has the six Cd standard.

The Outback LTD,GT LTD,VDC,and LL Bean all have AM, FM,cassette with single CD, at least in Canada, the Forester LTD may have the six CD but I would not swear to it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hwaitunghwaitung Member Posts: 3
    I stumbled on this site which seems to be useful to Legacy & Outback owners who want to install their own stereo.

http://kmount.50megs.com/outback_stereo/outback_stereo.html

• Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Hi! Talk to your dealer or call us at 1-800-Subaru3. We do have a program called Mobile-It-Ease to help defray the cost of modifications. Your dealer should have brochure on it or we can send you one.

I'm sorry you did not hear about this sooner.

Thanks!

Patti
  • Options
    Does Subaru offer rebates and incentives to clear out last years stock?? Phil Edmundston, the Lemon-aid car guy says yes, 'our' salesman says no. We are looking at a Legacy GT. Nice car!

6 cds are standard here on the Forester S and LTD.
  • Options
    That is great news. You made my day!!!!
  • Options
    bud_odybud_ody Member Posts: 9
    Thanks again Ken and Pat. How do I find out if my windshield has heating element ? Mine is a regular Automatic Outback Wagon.
    -Bud
  • Options
    johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    The short answer is I strongly suggest you get electric brake controller either made by Toshonka (SP?) or another good brand that is easy to adjust and reliable. If you plan to occasionally tow, it is well worth getting. Of course the trailer also must have electric brakes. YOU WANT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE WHEN TOWING AND ALSO LIMIT THE STRAIN ON YOUR VEHICLE'S ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND BRAKES. I met some folks this summer towing a small camper with the same vehicle as yours. Thr rig weighed about 1750 lbs and the Outback wagon also had a transmission cooler added. They said it worked fine, over the mountains, across the plains to the Maine coast where I met them. Secondly try to get a trailer hitch made so the ball will roughly be level with the trailer. Also think about a small equalizer hitch set-up to minimize sway if you plan to tow long distances.

By the way, I just bought a 2002 Outback Wagon, 2.5H, Automatic, All Weather Package, self dimming mirror/compass. Think I got a pretty good deal- Dealer's Invoice, a little under 23k. Love it! I plan to use a small utility trailer for hauling brush and other things. I also probably will drive out West from the Maine coast and rent a small pop-up camping trailer for a week next May. I will get a small transmission cooler installed for the trip.

Good luck. Hope I helped.
  • Options
    rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    Does your OB have the All Weather Package (Heated seats, heated mirrors and wipers, limited slip differential)? If so, you most likely have the windsheild heating element. Look directly underneath the windshield wipers and you will see a series of lines in the windshield that run the length of each wiper when they are in the resting position (they are orange on my 2000 OB).
    Ron
  • Options
    I've never seen a weight distributing hitch for anything under 4-5Klbs towing capacity. May 3K, but definitely none that would be usable on the smaller receiver hitches that go on subarus.

-mike
  • Options
    Ron has pretty well covered what to look for, if you have the all weather package you have the wiper defroster on the windshield.

As far as I know the all weather package is standard on the base outback in Canada but I don,t think it is in the States.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    inmotion2inmotion2 Member Posts: 1
    This may seem obvious to some but I have a question about the use of chains/cables on my 2001 LL Bean Outback wagon. I have Firestone Wilderness tires and would like to venture up to Donner Summit tomorrow where a winter storm is raging and 2 to 3 feet of new snow is expected (YAHOO!) The California Highway Patrol has Chain control up on I-80 over Donner Summit. What do I need to carry and what tires do I put chains on (if necessary) on an AWD car? Thanks for any input- Brian
  • Options
    sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    If you have never put chains on before then practice at home first. Most likely you will not even need to put them on. 99% of the time having 4 wheel drive and m/s or all weather tires are all that are required. (But you must carry a set of cable chains with you- or you will be fined). The chains only need to go on the front tires. (unless you plan to try to get through 3 feet of unplowed snow- then you might want them on all 4.
    Don't forget that the 4 wheel drive will help you go, but it doesn't help in braking.
  • Options
    No offense, but even a subie with chains isn't going to make it through 3ft of snow. heck I'd be suprised if my Trooper with 275-70-16 AT tires on it with chains would make it through 3 ft of snow.

-mike
  • Options
    leeduncanleeduncan Member Posts: 12
    Brian,

This is not obvious.

Step one: Check California regs as follows.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

select vehicle code box

search for 27459 (key word)

also note 27460 AWD exemption with M&S tires while carrying chains. I suppose CHP could check to see if the chains you were carrying actually fit your wheels, but I haven't heard of them doing so.

Step two: Check Security Chain for Z-Chains

http://www.scc-chain.com/products.htm

Below is a quote from a SCC response to an inquiry on this issue from a posting on a board last year. If you wish, I can email you the entire thread. I don't recall the board this came from.

An finally, do a search using google groups on subaru scc z chain. This will kick up some of the sources I've quoted.

HTH,

Greg in IN

"...There are two basic construction choices in the

Z-Chain family, the all cable versions (Shur Grip

Z, Super ZLT, and Super Z) and the hoop and cable

combinations (Z-Chain and Z-Chain LT). The all

cable versions incorporate the use of a rubber

tensioner for automatic adjustment to the tire

while driving. The Z-Chain and Z-Chain LT

incorporate a tempered steel hoop for easy

connection behind the tire when mounting, but

require custom fitting to the tire on initial

installation.

My concern with your 2000 Outback would be weather

or not it has alloy wheels. Most of the vehicles I

saw when surveying car dealers had alloy wheels

and in that case your best option is the Z-Chain.

Shur Grip Z's rubber tensioner will more than

likely make contact with the alloy wheels causing

damage to the clear coat..." SCC quote from a poster on a bulletin board

• Options
    Even the printed brochure for the 2002 Outback lists painted mirrors and door handles as standard on the base model. I noticed this because my 2000 OB and 2001 models I have seen have black (unpainted) mirrors and door handles. I assumed it was a new feature for 2002. On a related note, I noticed that they ditched the funky pull-out cup holder for 2002 also, replacing it with dual molded-in cup holders in the center console.

This does not explain why Chris' 02 model has unpainted mirrors and door handles. Perhaps someone else with a base 02 OB can comment on what they have.

Craig
  • Options
    sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    Here is the deal for chain requirements in CA. They have 3 stages: R1, R2, and R3. Locals say they see R3 one or two times a decade, if that because the highway is usually closed before this is imposed.
    R1: Chains or snow tread tires required
    R2: Chains required on all vehicles except four wheel drives with snow tread tires.
    R3: Chains required- all vehicles - no exceptions.

R1 and R2 still require that you carry chains in the vehicle.
    The speed limit is 25 or 30 miles/hour when chains are required. Be careful if you have to stop to put chains on near traffic. It is usually snowing and people will be passing you, making it easy to get hit.
  • Options
    leeduncanleeduncan Member Posts: 12
    Sheesh. I have no idea how the double post happened. If I did anything to cause it I apologize. I hope the dupe can be killed.

Greg in IN
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I deleted one of your duplicate posts. For future reference, you can delete your own message by clicking on the blue delete button next to your post. Also, learn more about how this software works via our Town Hall Help in the upper/left corner of the page. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    bud_odybud_ody Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Ron and Pat. Mine does not have all weather package and I can't see the wires, so I guess it does not have the heating element.
    Ken, a friend told me that when his windshield was replaced, the rubber gasket around the windshield did not return back to its original tightness until after a few months. In fact, he could see the gap around the gasket very clearly (looks ugly, according to him). A dealer told him it's normal. Did you have the same experience ? I wonder if this has anything to do with the installer. His was done by a local mechanic.

-Bud
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Hey everyone I have a 2002 outback wagon base model,and my door handles and mirrors are black . The only models with painted door handles and mirrors I think are the more expensive ones LL-bean and VDC . I can't recall if the limited has them painted or not .I really miss my outback I'm going through withdraw .Been at parents for the holiday and I'm 2000 miles away from my baby . She's sitting all by herself in the airport parking lot . BOO HOO BOO HOO

mike k