Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    23 lb cat???? What is it - a domesticated mountain lion??
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    Its a big domestic cat. We get some werid looks at the vet and when friends come over. You just have to see it to believe it. Even then he does not look real. His "little" sister who we also have is 16lbs. His head nearly comes up to my knee so he actually carries the weight without looking like a bowling ball. Dont get me wrong...he is chubby and you cannot pick him up with one hand without damage to your spine. All his brothers and sisters (taken in as a stray litter that our relatives have) are all in the 16-20lb range too. They also have 7 (yes seven) fingers so his paws look even more HUGE.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wow. My dog is only 12 lbs! He's way out of his league!

-juice
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I'm showing up to 6.9% on 60.
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    just to transport all our animals to the vet at the same time. The dog rides in the back seat and the 2 cats go in "cat" carriers in the way back. The cat carriers we have to use are actually flight crates for dogs 20-40lbs. They outgrew their normal cat carries by 8 months old. We measured the wagons we were looking at to make sure everyone would fit properly. I cant believe we have had them for 7 years.
  • evilizardevilizard Posts: 195
    Try hitting them up for 5.9% for 59 months. Thats what we did.
  • 2ndwnd2ndwnd Posts: 145
    ... how many were going to St. Ives?

We have three cats, no dogs. The one male cat tips the scales at 14+ lbs, mostly muscle. He doesn't like to go in a carrier, but he is a big baby, so he'll just cling to one of the passengers, and the others ride in the carriers.

And of course the correct answer to the question above is one. Me. The rest were going the other way. In a Subaru naturally.
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    I have two dogs 92 and 97 lbs. Will I be able to put them in cargo area (without crates). I do that now with my Isuzu Trooper, but Trooper cargo area is a lot bigger than Legacy/outback. Anyone in similar situation? Tx.
    Ask a dealer to try it out. If they are interested in selling you a car, that's what it will take.

Maybe take a carpet remnant to keep it clean, but they should let you try. I'd be concerned with their height.

-juice
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    A couple of months ago I saw a Legacy wagon with two full grown mastiffs in the back! About 350 lbs. total, maybe more. They seemed quite content.

Ross
  • francophilefrancophile Posts: 667
    7 toes, eh? I've seen the 7-toed "feature" on cats before, it must be a relatively common "feature". The two I saw it on were pretty big kittens, and we almost took them; now I wonder if they would have grown up to be knee-high! Wow.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • ffsteveffsteve Posts: 243
    Thanks to Breckco, mammothsun and the rest of you who helped me to make my decision. Picked up a white LLBean in San Diego last weekend for just $100 over invoice from Balboa Subaru. Found a fair and forthright team there that made me feel welcome and were willing to deal.

We've already tried a gravel road in North County, an 80MPH freeway run, and general noodling in and out of shopping centers. LLBean handles all with grace and competence.

Report on common issues:
    1. New car smell plus a light burning-off of new-car-prep stuff. Not unpleasant and almost gone after 150 miles. New car smell remains inside.
    2. Engine is smooooth and willing to rev. Apart from one run, will keep the speed low until broken in and change oil at 1000 miles. Curious also about mileage, but too soon to tell.
    3. Nothing, absolutely nothing, included above standard LLBean features which are plenty already. Radio is lovely, only listen to a single CD at a time, and didn't rush to get a wind deflector or spoiler for the rear window.
    4. Back seat passengers reported lots of room, and I'm a large guy who typically pushes the seat back all the way when driving.
    5. No noise from the brakes.

I plan to get the windows tinted soon. And no, the cats haven't had their ride yet either.

Steve
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Posts: 228
    You've bought a great wagon! Mine is also white, now has 5,500 plus miles on it and other than a two and a half day "off road" situation waiting for a replacement of the fuel sensors to the on board computer, I've had no problems. My MPG has ranged from about 19 (city plus some highway) to 27.1 while driving down to Florida from Illinois.
    This is my third Subaru and second Outback. It is leaps and bounds ahead of the '96 in terms of creature comfort, engine performance and quiet ride.

Good luck with your LL Bean!

Don
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Congratulations! Got me scared when you said you were doing 80 with only 150 miles on car. Recently saw a white OB with tinted windows and it looked really nice!. If you ever decide on the hood deflector it is easy to install and you can get a good price at subaruparts.com. My H4 is getting around 25 mpg with 2K on car. You shouldn't be too far behind.

Good luck,
    Greg
  • gxdragongxdragon Posts: 1
    I have a 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has been a nightmare from the beggining. 3 rear diffs, 2 front diffs, defective brake booster, leaking transmission and much more. I'm getting rid of it and I want something that won't have me spending my days in the dealerships waiting room. I like the outback but I want to know that if it's reliable. Please post your experiences good or bad.
  • evilizardevilizard Posts: 195
    Well I have a 96OB, I've taken it off roading at Big Bend National Park and deep sandy beaches of North Padre Island in Texas, through the flooding streets of San Antonio and up to Vermont and back to Texas (all these trips were loaded with 4 people and gear). Got 67K on it.

The "problems" that were not related to wear or abuse have been
    - Replace Camshaft Position Sensor - $90
    - Replace Switch on Door lock - $80
    I've had the check engine light come on twice, once was for that camshaft sensor and once was emissions related.

Wear items replaced so far are Tires, brakepads, oil & air & fuel Filters, accessory belts, Fluids, fluids, fluids, spark plugs.
  • mammothsunmammothsun Posts: 10
    We picked up the Bean over the weekend in Irvine. Wife liked wine stone but we almost changed to white pearl at the last minute. Drove the sales guy crazy, but he didn't complain. Anyway that meant driving 2 cars back up to Mammoth. (other car is an 01 Acura CL-) First tank of gas was 21 and the 2nd went up to 25. Drove at 70-80 most of the way.
    The Bean is smooth but of course the power is nothing like the Acura (Too bad they don't make an WAD car as there selling them in LA at the same price as the Bean)
    Along the way we stopped to give the dogs water (one was in the Sub)When my wife got out of the Bean she hit the door lock the wrong way and the car locked with the dog in the back. Stood by the side of the hi way to try and spot a CHP...none in 20 minutes. The cell phone didn't work so I drove to the nearest call box to get AAA. We were between Mojave and Ridge crest and they said 45 minutes wait. As good luck would have however, another AAA truck came by and had the door open in 10 seconds. The door locks work opposite from the Acura which caused the problem. Believe that won't happen again.
    Other than that....the car is very quiet, stereo is fine, no brake noise, no starting problem. Will get the windows tinted in Reno this weekend.
    We were going to pay cash for the car but at 2.9 %, for 2 years, we can make an extra 2.3 % on the money just from a money market acct. That along with the fact that after about 3 years the car with equal mileage as an 02 figures to be worth only about $1500 less, and the dealers probably won't be dealing at invoice plus $100 for a while made the decision to get the 01.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    I think you will find the reliability difference between the Grand Cherokee and an Outback to be like night and day.

Bob
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Gxdragon,

I have a 00 base OB wagon since September and love it! Except for the recall that Subaru instituted for the ECM module, which I had no problem with, the car has been fine. It handled the couple of heavy snows we had this winter with ease, and rides nicely on all types of road surfaces. The only downside so far has been that my gas mileage has been averaging around 21 mpg/city and highway. Even with that, I would still recommend the Outback hands down over the Grand Cherokee.

Mark
    My dad used to get Cherokees for his fleet at work, but they switched to Toyotas after poor reliability with the Jeeps.

Then a Camry he was driving caught on fire, believe it or not. I think he may not have had a recall fixed, since he was living in Belize, but that was bizarre.

He now drives a 2001 Outback, after hearing about how well my Forester and my cousin's '99 Outback have done.

No break downs or spontaneous combustions so far, so he's happy!

-juice