Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Equinox Trailer Harness

Comments

• runoxrunox Posts: 153
    Not a bad price from gm-auto-parts - if they OEM. There are a couple of things you need to pay attention with a trailer assembly for an Equinox.

The GM receiver is 11/4", not 2". If you have 2" equipment, you got to go after market for the hitch assembly.

The 2010 Equinox must be reprogrammed to for the brake lights to work and only the dealer can do it. These vehicles have a finicky electrical system, so don't even think about splicing an aftermarket harness into the brake lights. I know of two dealers that refused to program the vehicle because the brakes electric had been spliced.
  • pam71pam71 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I don't need the electrical system hooked up, I'm only getting the hitch for a bike rack. It's a 1 1/4 with a 2 " adjustment. I think I'll just go with the gm one, it will most likely fit the best and hide the best. the visual is my biggest concern...
  • sprakcsprakc Posts: 1
    Which hitch did you decide on? Any specifics you have would be greatly appreciated (website, brand, etc). I'm also looking just to carry bikes but I'm nervous that it will affect the look. I really like the idea of being able to replace the clipped door. Also, which Equinox model do you currently drive?

Thank you.
    I drive the 2LT fwd. Since my bike rack that I bought, the x-port flatbed style ( 2 bikes), has the main metal part for a 1 1/4 and then the add on fits a 2" and because I don't anticipate needing the hitch for anything else, I have ordered the one that GM/chevy has (which is a 1/1/4). I am scheduled to have it put on next sat. (17th), so I can update you on the look then. I'm just having Chevy put it on when I go for my oil change. I know it's probally something my hubby or I could do, but it just sounds easier to do that.
    If you need the 11/4 then go for the dealer option. It shouldn't take them more than 45 minutes and they install the hitch while the oil is draining. (Unless this is a nimrod shop that requires to different mechs. Be sure to ask them if they programmed the harness before you leave.
    Just got back from the dealership. They installed the GM hitch (which I was charged $215 for). You can only see the "hitch" part from the back. The clip-on won't fit back on to cover it on my car ( 2LT). I didn't have them install the wiring because I'm only using for a bike rack. However, I did get to keep the part. The Labor charge was $60.00.
    Sounds like you are ready to roll on 4 and 2's. Hang on to that harness, it's worth about $125 retail.
  • kayakonekayakone Posts: 2
    I have an 2010 Equinox AWD LT 4 cyl.
    I installed a Curt 2inch receiver and there wiring harness.
    There is no programing needed for this installation.
    The only time you need programing is if you have a GM wiring harness installed.
    Hope this clears things up.
    The service technician told me himself.
  • jp0933jp0933 Posts: 5
    I'm looking to get a 2" hitch for my vehicle. I want to make sure it fits under the bumper and is hidden, except for the little cut out. Also, I want the cutout to fit back on when I am not towing anything.

Will this hitch allow for this?
    http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-iii-receiver-hitch-p-1084.html

Also, any other 2" hitches that will be hidden/allow the cutout to be replaced when not in use?

Finally, for the wiring, what is the deal with the Curt Mfg harness? How can it not require any programming yet still be not a modification to the vehicle's wiring system? It seems like the GM harness is the only option as to not "illegally" modify the wiring and void warranty.
    Not gonna happen. That little trap door has a curve to it. The receiver sticks out just enough to bump that curve, so it will not fit back on. All receivers will be seen where that door is removed the remainder will be hidden by the remainder of the splash panel.

As far as I an tell you would need to bore new bolt holes in the frame to move the hitch back far enough, then use a receiver extension to maintain your turning radius with a trailer.
  • jp0933jp0933 Posts: 5
    I'm confused by this post from you then:

"On mine there is just enough clearance that if I want to replace the door to hide the receiver I can and no one knows I have a hitch."

That's what I want to do. What hitch do you have? It's not a huge deal for me, but if this is possible, I'd prefer to do it this way.

Thanks
    I thought the door was hooked in, but it wasn't. I bought a round tubular from someone selling UHaul brand on eBay. Paid $105. It looks like the one here, but not this brand.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2010-Chevy-Equinox-Trailer-Hitch-New-Receive- rHitch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b080957aQQitemZ170464941434QQptZMotorsQ5fCa- rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  • lauridsdlauridsd Posts: 15
    :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

Gang, I need your help to clarify a few things for me.

I ordered a 2010 Equinox (2.4l 4-cyl) 2LT, and with it I ordered the "trailering hitch package" (Part 19202502, according to the website) as a "dealer installed accessory." (It is on the invoice!) The car is due to be received at the dealership in the next couple of days, but the salesman at the dealership is now saying that they (the dealer) can't install it. WTF? How can I order an OEM Chevy part from the dealership that cannot be installed...by the dealership? Also, from what I have read here, dealer programming is *required* to make the wiring harness work. Is that correct? When I called Chevy's assistance line, they said it should not have been possible to order a trailer hitch for anything other than the V6. Why, then, is there a "Dealer Installed Accessory" option for the hitch even available? No one seems to be able to answer that for me.

Has anyone here had the "dealer installed accessory" version of the "hitch trailering package" installed on a 2010 4-cyl? If so, was it by the dealer? If the part I ordered actually arrives with the vehicle, and can't be dealer installed (for whatever reason,) will installing it void the powertrain warranty? (I only occasionally pull a very lightweight little folding 4x8' trailer...no way will it ever be more than 1500 lbs.)

Obviously, if the part isn't going to arrive with the car, and/or can't be installed without voiding the warranty, I am sure as hell not going to pay for it!

I want to know exactly what is salesman/dealer BS, and what is actual fact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    edited June 2010
    Before buying my L4 AWD 2LT, I read in some GM literature the trailer package is not available with the L4 engine.

HOOOOWEVER, upon delivery I read the car manual as a good little Noxoid will and found this little paragraph: Section 8-62 Driving and Operating

"Use the following chart to determine how much a vehicle can weigh
    based upon the vehicle model and options.
    (Note:it's a Table that I can't replicate here, but will assimilate.)

.....................................Maximum Trailer
    ....................................Weight with Trailer
    ......Vehicle...........................Brakes**...................GCWR*
    L4 Engine, FWD.............680 kg (1500 lbs).......2,625 kg (5,787 lbs)
    L4 Engine, AWD.............680 kg (1500 lbs).......2,000 kg (5,952 lbs)
    V6 Engine, FWD...........1588 kg (1500 lbs).......3,600 kg (7,937 lbs)
    V6 Engine, AWD...........1588 kg (1500 lbs).......3,700 kg (8,157 lbs)
    ** For trailers without trailer brakes the maximum trailer weight is 454kg (1000 lbs) and the GCWR is 2,300kg (5,071 lbs). See towing equipment on page *-64 for more information.
    * GCWR - Gross Combination Weight Rating is the total allowable weight of the completely laoded vehicle, and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment, and conversions. The GCWR should not be exceeded.

My point here is - GM has defined a specification that allows trailering in all of the 2010 Equinox, L4 OR V6,with FWD or AWD, even though the weight is limited to 1000 lbs without trailer brakes.

I installed my hitch, because I wanted a 2", not the GM 1 1/4 hitch. I bought the GM harness from GM on line and installed it myself. Neither were difficult to install. My dealer programmed the hitch for no charge. Also, I do not intend to haul a boat around. I have over a hundred trees and do not like piling downed branches and sticks up on the property. Ever since the town refused to issue burn permits anymore, I have to haul the waste to the town compost center. I'm not coming near 1,000 lbs including the trailer weight.

Next time you go to the dealer, ask him for a copy of the Equinox Manual and show him the page. I have heard of a few dealers are not willing to install the hitches and have steered buyers to after market installers in the area.
  • bjones6bjones6 Posts: 28
    I have a 2010 4-cyl 2LT that I added a tow package to. I did have to buy the cabling (two pieces) from the dealer and have the dealer reprogram the car's computer so that it would send the proper voltages to the connector that is pre-intalled in the Nox. The dealer is confused. The connector for the trailer lights is pre-installed on the left side of the back cargo bay (just behind and below the left tail lights, in a dark recessed area accessible when the spare tire cover is lifted out). The manual that comes with the vehicle mentions maximum tow limits. And you can, as you say, order a tow package as an option. So your dealer is confused. I have never heard of a car manufacturer that voided warranties if an owner towed something under the specified weight limit. Can you imagine reading in an SUV manual, "Sorry, this vehicle is too wimpy to tow anything." That's silly!
  • lauridsdlauridsd Posts: 15
    runox,

Thank you for the info!

It turns out that the whole "dealership cannot install the Chevy hitch ordered directly from Chevy" thing was a complete and total brain fart by the salesman. (Shocking, I know.) Apparently, they don't have / cannot install an after market hitch on the Traverse. SOOO, they will be installing the hitch ($267) on my NOX this Friday, as well as programming the hitch (no additional charge).

I am perfectly fine with the 1.25" hitch as that is what I already have on my Subaru, so I already have all the accessories I need for it. I don't pull much weight either. As mentioned, I very occasionally tow a lightweight 4'x8' trailer I bought for my motorcycle, but have used more for suburban errands than anything else (hauling bags of mulch, etc.) As a result, the 1000lb limit for the 4-cyl should still not be a problem.

I had gone to the dealer this evening to get my Subaru appraised for trade in, and SURPRISE, my NOX had been delivered just today! So I got to inspect it and take a quick test drive while they appraised my trade. They totally low-balled me, but I fought until I got within 800 of my target, which was a little optimistic, so I probably did "ok" on that.

Tomorrow, we handle all the paperwork, and I will pick up my new baby on Friday. I am excited!

Thanks again for your help!

David
  • terexterex Posts: 26
    The trailer package (option V92) is not available FROM THE FACTORY on 4-cylinder equipped Equinox's (available for order on V6 equipped 2LT or LTZ). The rationale is that customers choosing a 4-cylinder equipped vehicle are less likely to tow anything -- and, less likely to purchase equipment they don't/won't use (so why have the dealer try and figure out which L4's to order with the hitch or without?) The GM Accessory Trailer Hitch Assembly Package (part # 19202502) contains the same equipment as that installed in the factory on V6's and is meant to be installed on any current generation Equinox, regardless of engine. L4 max towing capacity is 1500 lbs. Making it available as an Accessory allows owners of 4-cylinders with a desire/need to tow decide whether to purchase it instead of forcing the option on people who don't need it.
    edited June 2010
    ** For trailers without trailer brakes the maximum trailer weight is 454kg (1000 lbs) and the GCWR is 2,300kg (5,071 lbs).

Anyone following the spec and keeping the load under 1500 lbs, is not likely using a trailer with brakes. Ergo the effective towing capacity is 1000 lbs.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    GCWR=Gross Combination Weight Rating

This is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, and equipment.

The Equinox weighs 3770lbs. So 5071#-3770# = 1301 lbs. left for everything else.

Be careful how much you load up your Nox.
    edited June 2010
    The Equinox weighs 3770lbs. So 5071#-3770# = 1301 lbs. left for everything else.

Including your own fanny.