Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Outback VDC

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was gonna suggest the iPod with the FM modulator. If you can tell a difference in quality, you're far more of an audiophile than I am.

-juice
  • Options
    xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    anything like Marvin Martian's Space Modulator? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lou :)
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    Can anybody tell me the model number of the Mcintosh amp in the Outback VDC?

Thanks
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I am not sure there is a direct match, but the MC420M seems pretty close based on specs.

Mike
  • Options
    willocwilloc Member Posts: 19
    here's the skinny on iPods...I have mine mounted to my dashboard (with a cheap cell phone belt clip but hey it does the job) - and use a Sony cassette adapter. The FM radio gizmo's that hook up to the iPod really don't sound that good. You get interference and loss of stereo separation. I strongly suggest using the cassette adapter, and turning the volume up high as you can on the iPod which provides a stronger signal to the cassette deck. My iPod sounds just as good as a CD in my car. I have an Infiniti QX4 with Bose system. My next car may be a Subie though, my wife has a 2003 Forester and I'm diggin' the VDC wagon!
  • Options
    Cool. A friend has the iPod and I thought it was all that and a bag of chips! :o)

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I dunno, for $175 shipped I got a great MP3 in-dash player that plays my MP3 CDs. I just drove over 1000 miles last weekend and barely heard the same song 2x! I find the Ipod to be kinda expensive. IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The OEM radio on my '92 Ply Laser had a headphone jack input on the faceplate of the radio. Just hit the INPUT button and you could hear whatever was sourced (I had a portable CD player).

Too bad that type of input is not on today's radio's.

Wonder when OEM radios will start being able to play MP3's...

-Brian
  • Options
    The JVC unit I have has that! :) That is why I bought it. So I could plugin the output from the laptop for voice-gps and for DVD audio :)

-mike
  • Options
    The iPod is also a Walk-Man, and it's portable so I could be using it in all 3 of my cars. In your case, your whole fleet of 15 vehicles! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    I figured out I have way too much "stuff" that needs to get swapped from car to car so it's easier to just get the MP3 player in each car (which is what I did). I've gotten it down so I only need to swap the power cord for the cell phone. If you will use it like a walkman, i suppose it's useful in that respect, for me it seems pricey for what you get.

-mike
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My 20 GB iPod works great in my Bean. I use the cassette adapter as well as a cigarette lighter power adapter from Griffin Tech to keep the battery charged.
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    does not have a cassette player; 6 disk CD changer only.

Joe - I see in your profile that you have an '02 which does have a cassette / CD combo.

DaveM
  • Options
    Did Subaru change to CD only stereos for 2003?

I kinda like having both, for books on tape and stuff. Also, most kiddie music is on tape, at least what I've seen.

-juice
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    IIRC, the only '03 US Subarus with cassette are the Forester XS and Impreza WRX (both also include 6 CD changer). Legacy / Outback has either single CD or 6 CD changer. Base Forester has single CD. Impreza TS, RS & OBS have single CD. Baja has single CD.

DaveM
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I do have an 02 bean - sorry for the mispeak. It has the 6 CD changer, plus 1 CD unit, plus tape. It also has weatherband radio. I did not realize the 03s lost the tape.
  • Options
    I have two WRX stereos in our Legacy and Forester. No weather band on those, but we're happy.

-juice
  • Options
    jackb10jackb10 Member Posts: 6
    i'm looking into the OB and the dealer suggested i stay away from the vdc because the vdc sensors are located in the wheels and if the wheels are knocked out of alignment then the system won't work properly. is any or all of this true? thanks, jackb10
  • Options
    Don't listen to that. They probably just don't have any in stock to sell you or something like that.

-mike
  • Options
    Even if it were true, that would be a good thing - you would know to get it fixed before it (at the very minimum) ruined your tires with uneven wear.

I'd be searching for a more knowledgeable dealer...

-juice
  • Options
    jackb10jackb10 Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the advice. jackb10
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    man it's been quiet on this board! well I am within a week or two of picking up a VDC wagon (dealer has one incoming - monotone platinum which is a great color) - I have one issue regarding the 2003 McIntosh stereo - disappointed that they removed the cassette deck. I want it so I can hook up my iPod (see previous post about that) - iPod through FM doesn't sound so hot, prefer to hook up with cassette adapter. Will the 2002 McIntosh head unit fit in the dash ? are these stereos a standard double-din size ? (In that case I'll just retrofit another one). any suggestions?
    thanks
  • Options
    ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you on the sound system, but when did they start making the VDC's in a platinum color? Do you mean "titanium," because that's the only monotone they show for the VDC on the Subaru website? I've seen some silver outbacks around town, and have thought they looked sharp, but they're definitely different than the metallic-beige coloring of the titanium.
  • Options
    If you are going to replace your head unit with another one, let me know. I might make you an offer on it.
  • Options
    oops I meant titanium, not platinum. So i found out the reason they took the cassette deck out - I think it has something to do with the Onstar system being incorporated with the radio. I don't remember if the 2002 model had Onstar, I'm guessing it didn't have it. I think I will deal with the stereo and use the FM transmitter.
  • Options
    I don't know how long the cable for the FM transmitter is, but you might want to try placing it near the rear drivers side window, the one in the trunk area. That is where the antenna for the sound system is. The wiring for the antenna near the front of the car is most likely shielded from electrical noise from all the other equipment in the dash.

That should improve sound quality
  • Options
    They took the cassette out of the 2004 Forester too, and that model doesn't have OnStar. Subaru is just discontinuing them, I guess.

-juice
  • Options
    paddler3paddler3 Member Posts: 5
    Willoc or others that have bought 2003 VDCs, would you mind sharing what you are paying? I'm trying to get some info before I start the haggling process. Also, did you look into leasing? If so, could you share your info?

Thanks!
  • Options
    fitzmall only has one in stock, it's $29,226. Check it out, if only for comparison.

-juice
  • Options
    njjulianonjjuliano Member Posts: 83
    That fitzmall is delivered price right? $29,226 is a good deal. I had the 02 VDC wagon for 27,900 plus tax, MSRP $32,879. Ends up being very competitive with fitzmall's usual prices.
  • Options
    Yes, it includes freight. The only fee was $50 to process the tags, which I'll gladly pay not to wait in the awful lines we have in MD.

-juice
  • Options
    I got one from a dealer here in Raleigh, NC back in January for a total price of $28,500 (with all fees included). That sounded extremely reasonable to me, and I imagine it would be even lower now as the new models are just about to hit the showrooms.
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I own an 02 VDC which I really enjoy. But, they aren't selling. My dealer has none in stock (had two or three when I bought mine last year). The dealer told me there's no demand for them and if someone wants one, they order one. He thought SOA was turning away from trying to compete in this price range (at least for now). So, I wonder whether there will be a VDC in 04. A Bean with a Bose stereo as an extra would be fine with me. My .02
  • Options
    I kinda got that feeling about the VDC as well. From perusing the Subaru dealers in NC online, there only seem to be about 10 in the whole state at dealerships.
  • Options
    I just got back from signing papers on a VDC wagon. I'm paying invoice it is $29,5xx. I am doing a 48 month lease no money down $450/mo (15k/yr). Seems reasonable to me. I got the titanium pearl, added rear spoiler and auto-dimming mirror. Wagon is en route to dealer and should hit the ground in the next 1-4 days. They gave me a 2002 VDC sedan as a loaner. It has 500 miles on it and they have it marked down to $25K. I gotta say the sedan is real impressive, nice solid ride, handles well, looks sharp with the spoiler. I know I will be even happier when I get the wagon. will keep ya posted !!
  • Options
    the LL Bean and the VDC into one line and I will be happy. Give it the Beans audio system, and make the McIntosh an option. I really think the H6 is deserving of the VTD, so make that standard with VDC an option.

Between you an me, snowbelter, let's keep the Bose stereos for the Acura folk. I heard the one in the RSX-s and the standard system in the LL Bean is much better.
  • Options
    Beg to differ, seberry, but I think the Bose has a much better sound than the osystem in the Bean, and was a real factor in my buying a VDC over a Bean. Even with this snowy winter, I'm not sure my VDC handled any better than my wife's Limited OB with LSD. The VDC setup does give a rear wheel bias which gives a better ride on the highway than a Limited. Actually did a lot of audio listening before I bought my car. Actually thought the Monsoon in the Passat was close to the Bose. But agree that the Bose ought to be Subaru option in other models.
  • Options
    Fair enough, maybe my experience with the Bose system was unusual, but they are developed specifically for the car they are to be installed in. Maybe the Bose in a Mercedes is a lot better than an Acura.

Tell me though, how did the bose and monsoon systems stack up against the McIntosh?

What car was the Bose system in?

I'd be happy to hear your opinions.

P.S. How do you find the OB Limited in the snow and ice? Have you compared it to other systems such as the 4motion or Quattro? I haven't really had a chance to try it here where I live.

Thanks
  • Options
    Seberry. I mistakenly referred to the audio system in my VDC as "Bose". Don't know what I was thinking. I agree w/ your comment that the McIntosh system ought to be an option. My comment should be that the McIntosh system sounds superior to the one that comes w the Bean and sounded better to me than the Monsoon system I heard 3-4 times when I looked at Passats (although the sound was close). Haven't driven the 4Motion or Quattro in the snow. A number of my neighbors think its great. The Audi/VW salesperson told me that 60% of his Quattro buyers purchased sets of 4 snowtires and rims as the performance tires on the Audi were worthless in snow. Not sure I could tell much difference in snow in my VDC or my wife's Limited. Both had great traction in starting up and both slid in stopping. Perhaps the VDC stopped straighter and sled less on curvy roads. Also noticed the VDC fishtailed easily when turning from a standstill at an intersection. Don't think the Limited slippped as much, but my wife has a sedan and I have a wagon and that my be the difference in handling. Sorry again for any confusion re "Bose". We get 150 inches of snow a year and find our Subarus with OE tires handle better than our former cars Mazda 626s with snow tires on all four wheels.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    One reason for the difference - your VDC has a 'normal' rear bias torque split of 45/55 (f/r), whereas your limited is 80/20.

-Brian
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I had been one of the original reporters of the mysterious coolant loss on the H6 engine. A regional SOA rep had gotten involved last year; we had agreed to just let the level fall and see if it stabilized. It has stabilized at about an inch or so above the low mark for the last 14 months. I am convinced if I top it off, it will drop again and stabilize at the same point it is today - still no idea of the loss mechanism, but I don't perceive a problem anymore.

At 25k miles, I am still very pleased with the car. Primary positives:

- great highway car - quiet, smooth, powerfull, excellent handling, very comfortable seats for long term
    - Love the Mac audio system
    - excellent tire wear: lots left on original firestones- even wear
    - no squeeks, rattles, vibrations
    - no noticeable wear on interior or exterior. paint holding up well.

Negatives;
    - still don't like plastic wood
    - would prefer livelier 5 speed tranny

all for now,
    Mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The next-generation Outback will have a 5-speed auto. The next-generation Legacy was just introduced in Japan, and a 5-speed automatic is part of the package. The Outback will be introduced in a few months. The H-6 is rumored to put out 247 HP. Both will be here next spring as an '05 models.

If you go to the Subaru Crew Future Models thread here, there's gobs of info and pixs.

Bob
  • Options
    I originally wanted to keep my current OB for at least 200,000 kms. But after looking at the specs on the next model, I may think otherwise... time will tell
  • Options
    vetmatsvetmats Member Posts: 71
    I am thinking the same thing. I have a 2000 OB and love it, but I really like the look of the new legacy and the increased hp.
  • Options
    Congrats Will! Snap a photo for us when you pick her up!

Mike: thanks for the update. Glad it hasn't been a problem.

If that H6 runs on regular fuel, it'll be my choice. If both the new H6 and the turbo require premium, I'll try both before deciding.

-juice
  • Options
    No one knows what engine/tranny options we'll get. Nothing has been rumored or announced for the USDM.

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    facts, no.

Bob
  • Options
    paddler3paddler3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to purchase a 2003 Bean or VDC? Any insights from current owners?? Which one should I purchase and why?

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.