Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback VDC

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Can not tow either. I remember reading that this summer in my uncle's SVX manual.

-mike
  • All,

Well we do have a outlet up front but manual says only for Subaru Cig lighter...
    Have the real power outlet in the back cargo area.
    So guess have to look for after market solution...

Yep got he usual temp and fuel gauge and idiot lights...But take a look at most GM 2002 cars they have a great Computer built into them...Tracks total gals of fuel, mileage, trips, air temp, and Garage door opener and a bunch more stuff...

So I think Subaru is way ahead on the engineering side maybe just needs a bit of catch-up on the "goodies" side...

Anyone have info on just how hard is it to remove door panels on a Bean? To access the speakers?

Thanks,
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I've used the front 'cig lighter' outlet for charging our cell phone. Others here and in the Subaru Crew owners clubs have also had no problems using that outlet for powering similar devices. I think it's fine with something like a radar detector, cell phone, cd player, etc.

What are you trying to power up?

-Brian
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Used it for air compressor to adjust the air in my tires.

Hey Tom - U R A Bus. Never saw that before. Thats funny.

Greg
  • mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    As an ardent audiophile, I love to demo the Mac system. I believe that it demos best on Jazz, which I really don't like. I recently found a nice cd (The Rippington's, Life in the Tropics)that both demos well and that I like to actually listen to. It was in the Jazz section at Best Buy and had bunches of crisp sharp instruments but within a smooth overall rhythm.

Mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    XT6 is pretty low, and a hitch receiver would almost drag on the ground.

I replaced the speakers on my Forester. The panels pop off easily. Yours are probably similar, so check out the photos I took here.

-juice
  • If you go to Subaru's website (WWW.SUBARU.COM), go to the FAQ section, and then technical information, they talk about using the outlet for your cell phone. You can, but they say you can never then use it for a cigarette lighter again.
    Which for all of you non-smokers out there, makes it a non-issue.

Dukephoto
    That seems really odd. Oh well, another reason not to smoke (I don't).

-juice
    couldn't you use it again for a lighter? It doesn't make sense to me. It is just a plug that supplies power. hmmm

Greg
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    the cig lighter must feel left out after not being used. ;)

-Brian
  • According to Subaru, if you use an accessory plug it may damage the portion of the receptacle's internal mechanism (bi-metal) that causes the cigarette lighter plug to "pop-out" after its lighter element is heated. This could cause the lighter not to pop out after it heats up, and start a fire. They also say that if you ever want to use it again as a lighter, you have to replace the whole assembly.

DUKEPHOTO
  • theobtheob Posts: 148
    Mike,
    How does "Tropics" compare to "Welcome to St. James Club"? I have St. James available to me, but would have to go find Tropics.
    Thanks, Theo in Colo.
    Actually Juice, the rear of the XT6 is quite high, even with the stock airbags. And they would just level out the rear no matter how much trailer weight you put on it. Mine is now much higher in the back than say a forester or OB.

-mike
    Good point, I had forgotten about the self-leveling suspension.

Did you know the turbo Foresters from overseas have this feature?

-juice
    I am not familiar with "Welcome to St James Club" but I would guess it would be similar as a demo. At a dinner party last week, the host had used "tropics" as a demo for his in house system; that was the first time I had actually been aware of the Rippingtons.

Mike
  • troccotrocco Posts: 19
    Anybody's got pictures of the outback sedan?

matias
    Subaru.com probably does. Check them out at the dealer. The "butch sedan" look actually translates quite well IMO.

-juice
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    The Rippington's are great! Saw them a couple weeks ago at the Paramount Theatre in Peekskill, New York. Not sure if they are touring...
  • theobtheob Posts: 148
    The Rippingtons were at the Paramount in Denver a year or two ago (probably since). We saw them then along with Craig Chaquico. But then Russ Freemen (founder of the Ripps) lives in Colorado and might just drive a Sube!;-) Their guitar album together, "Redwoods to the Rockies" (Windham Hill) sounds very good on the Mac. Might have to get some more Ripps for the car :-)
    Theo in Colo.
    Shoot, I thought I had discovered something new with these guys. Oh well, but they do sound great on the Mac; also the "tropics" would be a great highway cd for those boring stretches on my trips from Texas to Colorado, but I need to get some earplugs for the wife.

Mike
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    I am in Houston..have a 01 OB auto. I will be moving to Boston in a month.

Trying to sell mine for 2 reasons:
    - I would prefer a weather package
    - It would cost me $1300 to move but I can sell for that difference.

Based on what I have been reading, I like the VDC.......but I have the following questions:

1. If I am considering a car 31k......Do I have other choices......like the highlander.....will I get Highlander for same price with awd, vdc, & navigation system !

2. Is VDC considerably better than the OB regular auto ? I know the features in VDC, but is it still worth the 8k difference ?

3. Is premium fuel a requirement or recommended for vdc ?

Thanks for your comments in advance !!!!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    1. My guess is the Highlander will be more expensive, comparably equipped. You can't yet get a "Nav" system in a Subie.

2. Only you can decide. It's not $8K more than an LL Bean, which is really the question you're asking.

3. Recommended; if you use regular, you will lose some power, but that's about it.

Bob
    I guess the question is, would you rather drive a car or a truck? The Highlander is much larger and truck-like than the OB.

Greg
    It's a high camary at best! Don't insult us truck owners like that Greg! :) The highlander is just overpriced IMHO.

-mike
    I know the Highlander is based on the Camry platform. Kinda a big car, don't you think? I did use the term "truck-like". Is that OK? :)

Greg
    We in the Truck area say the highlander is "car-like" :) The camary is a mid-size car at best IMHO, then again I'm used to an old '74 old 98 and some lincoln town cars...

-mike
    How useful is it offroad?

I tried taking it to a dirt road when i testedrove it, but the dealer wouldn't let me.

I'm currious to know what would happen on a hilly dirt road or sth like that.

I'm afraid it would apply breaks to the wheels or even cut engine power and the response time would be worse than with the VDC off. (any 2002 owners have tried it?)
    (i guess this is similar to the previously discussed situation of being stuck in snow and vdc not letting you even start)

Sometimes when you are offroad, the last thing you want is to loose engine power or even apply brakes. Many times, you just wanna keep your momentum going even if that means spinning your wheels.

Any thoughts?

Matias
    I think the extra ground clearance and the bigger engine does tons of good. But i think the biggest problem with the outbacks offroad (aside from not having a 4x4 Low) is that their angle of attack is really small.

The tv comercial says that it has more ground clearance than many SUV's, but if you pay attentiong to the angle of attack of most SUV's is much greater. It would be nice if subaru could somehow add an extra couple of inches to the front end clearance. Or maybe even sloping the bottom would have the same effect. (just like the back end is sloped)

i think this would be a challenge for aesthetics engineers, cause i think the front ends looks really nice as it is.

What do you all think?

Matias
    Check out pics at http://isuzu-suvs.com under Paisan's Trooper section and in the events section there is pics of our offroad trips with subies. Links at:

http://caroga.net/misc/07-04-00/subaru.html

http://isuzu-suvs.com/subaru/pinebarrens.html

http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/

-mike

Is very poor off-road. It's FWD based so the oil and tranny pans are nice and low. Picture putting bigger tires on a camary and taking it offroad.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.