Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask the Smart Shopper Hosts for directions!

167891012»

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Hi, Bob.

You probably missed this post I wrote as a heads up about two weeks ago: tidester, "2007 Hyundai Santa Fe" #1507, 15 Oct 2006 11:28 pm

and this one where we made it "official:" tidester, "2007 Hyundai Santa Fe" #1527, 24 Oct 2006 10:45 pm

Sylvia has been discussing the reasons in the Software Questions Forum and this one spells it out: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3221, 26 Oct 2006 4:15 am

Not every Make/Model board has undergone the changes yet but we have most of them done now. I hope that helps and that you'll enjoy the new format.

tidester, host
  • Hello all,

I am a bit confused. I'm trying to get a reliable car for in the 19K-23K range that will be safe and also handle ice and snow well. (I live on Long Island and travel to West Virginia). I have looked at the Jeep Compass, the Subaru Forester, Honda Element, and Hyundai Tuscon. The Mitsubishi Outlander is also an option.

All of the cars are in the same price range, but I keep getting conflicting information from dealers, forums, and friends/family.

1) Is it true that AWD really isn't good for winter and that it's just something to trick consumers into paying more and thinking they can "go anywhere in the snow/ice"?

2) Is it a fact that it's a really bad idea to buy a Mitsubishi because of their financial problems?

3) The Jeep is SUPPOSEDLY a true 4X4 as opposed to an AWD. Is this going to help me on the highway or just in off-road situations (of which I forecast few)?

4) Would I be silly to lease a Hyundai despite the fact that it has all the safety features and includes BOTH AWD and 4WD?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!! :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    These discussions might help you:
    Which car company has the best AWD system?
    4WD and AWD systems explained
    and best of all, where you'll get PLENTY of advice:
    Please help me decide between...

You can re-post in any one of those discussions, or ask a different question entirely. Good luck!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• magalmagal Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in the market to buy a pre-owned (used) car about 2 or 3 yrs old in the luxury category. We are going on vacation from the 20th until about the first week of next year. I was wondering whether it is best to buy the car before end of the year vs after the new year.

If it is best to buy before the new year, we only have one week before we leave for vacation so your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
    Mag
    Vehicle Sales Tax Questions should be helpful. It may also be a good question for Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal?.

tidester, host
  • Hi,

These forums (a friend recently told me about this site) look like a great source of information, but I have no idea where to start. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

I just graduated college last month, and am about to move to Maryland in the next few weeks to start working full-time. They are providing me with a rental car for the first week, however I need to buy a car when I get there.

At this point, I still know very little about cars or car buying and have very little road experience (I just got my license a few months ago). I will be earning a nice salary when I start working in a few weeks, however I do not know what my monthly budget is going to be. I am also applying for graduate schools for the Fall, so I'm further unsure what will be happening (financially) at that point, depending on where I am accepted.

I need to buy a car now, and basically be able to either fully pay for the car by the end of August (or at least have the remaining money to cover payments in savings by then), or be able to sell the car at that point without having any remaining debt. I have up to about $3000 saved that, if I stretch my budget, can be used towards buying a car now. (My parents aren't able to help me out in purchasing the car, except as far as co-signing a loan if necessary).

The problem is, I'm moving to a new area, do not know much about purchasing cars, nor do I know anybody in the area that can help me in checking out a used car. I need something that will be safe, reliable, and have been told it should have ABS brakes. I've test driven a 2007 Hyundai Accent and liked the handling, but don't think I can afford it (again, I don't want to lock myself into long-term financial commitments that would prevent me from leaving to go to grad school later). A relatively recent used car is probably my best option, but I still don't know enough at this point to have strong feelings about what type, model, or year to get, just that it be reliable.

I also have a few concerns about the process of buying a car. Namely, would there be any issues if I start purchasing the car (ie with registration & insurance) in Maryland before I have a permanent address there? My drivers license and my (parent's) home is in NY.

Thanks,
    - David
    Congratulations, David!

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Selecting and Buying My First Car

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

I would advise you to think seriously about what your needs are or will be. That will help enormously in narrowing down your choices. Also, being fresh out of school, you will need to carefully budget your spending even if you do have a great salary. And don't forget that taxes will reduce the size or your paycheck! :)

Once you've narrowed down your choices and options a bit we can further direct you to suitable discussions and resources.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • I'm looking for a place to get general lease information (not car specific).

There's so much lease information out there to help people get educated but its also enough to confuse the c**p outta people and break them down enough to just sign and drive.

Which direction do I go for a bit of bottomline guidance???

Thanks,
    Mara
    This topic may be right up your alley:
    General Questions about Leasing Vehicles

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I’ve been looking to get into a new car since my ’03 LR Freelander is coming due in April. I pay 295 pm so I’m a bit shocked by some of the quotes I’ve been getting.

I’ve been reading a lot of leasing tips but there’s so much involved that I’m becoming a bit overwhelmed and I’m not sure how to apply the information that I’m reading. :confuse:

I’ve been pricing several different cars to see what I can get that fits my criteria. My requisites are: $300-$320 pm, $2500-$3000 TOTAL out of pocket and 15k miles per year. I also need a 3rd row seat and AWD. I’ve considered Saturn’s Outlook, GMC’s Acadia, Buick’s (now discontinued) Rendevouz, Toyota’s 4Runner and Highlander, and Mercury Mountaineer.

I’ll use my experience at the Chrysler dealer as an example. The Touring version had an MSRP of $31,110, dealer said he’d give it to me at his price of $29,110 (now that’s 31,110 - $1500 Chrysler cash for $29,600) and he’s knocking another $500 off. (I didn’t ask for the money factor or residual because I felt the lease payment of $339 he quoted was still too high) Here starts the confusion… Edmunds says invoice is $28,588, so did he give me a good price or was there more room to negotiate down??? If there’s more room, how much more? Do I offer $25k? That’s sounds like a good number to me but probably won’t get me a deal. Help!!

Also, is there a better time in the year to be leasing? Is September better than February?

One more question: Is it better to go thru an independent leasing company rather than to attempt a lease thru the dealers’ finance companies?

Thanks in advance!!
    Mara :sick:
    Please see my message above and post in the linked discussion... your message won't be seen by knowledgeable members here.

• Yeah, I did, but only after I posted here first. Thanks for your help!
  • I am looking to buy a used car. This will be my first car, I just graduated from college and am starting work. I am really clueless about cars (having spent most of my youth either in front of or tinkering with a computer) and am kind of apprehensive about making such a large purchase and being so ill-informed.

I've been reading guides, but I still had a few questions -

1) What things should I look at to make sure the car is still in good shape and won't need too much maintenance? Are they certain tell-tale signs that can provide a good indication of the reliability? I think this is my biggest worry - being saddled with the proverbial lemon.
    2) What is a good used car to get, in terms of reliability? I'm not looking for anything fancy or powerful - just an A to B car that won't give me too much trouble and won't guzzle gas.
    3) My budget is 8-10k (cash). Is that good? Bad? Ugly?
    4) I'm really confused about whether to go through a dealer or an individual or a manufacturer certified program?

I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid or redundant, but I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

Varun
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,571
    Hi, varunsinha..Welcome to the forums!

Either of these discussions should do it for you..

Selecting and Buying My First Car

Used Vehicles: Best Values

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks kyfdx! Appreciate the help.
  • I'm considering several off lease vehicles from Infiniti.
    When I've done a Carfax title search it states that the vehicle is a private lease. It names the location where the lease company or leasee registered the vehicle.

I'd like to find the NAME of the person not the lease company. I believe it would be invaluable to me of I could get their feedback on the vehicle. (if I can find them)

Do DMV's allow viewing of personal information, such as name and address of a vehicle owner. OR, is that nonpublic knowledge? Are tracing services any better?

If I'm paying over $30,000 for an off lease, I'd like to have more than a carfax. I have Autocritic doing a 160 point inspection. The dealer has had only 1 complaint in 36 months and has been in business since 1989. I feel pretty good but would feel a lot better talking to the person whose driven the car for 3 yrs.

Any thoughts, directions?
    You may be able to get some help in General Questions about Leasing Vehicles.

It wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer to contact the party that leased the vehicle and see whether that person would be willing to talk with you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • masterncmasternc Posts: 9
    I can't find any topic related to this and was wondering if someone could help me:

I live in PA and am looking at a certified used car in NJ. I would need financing for the car and would therefore have a lien on the car. I would be getting a temp tag from NJ that is valid for 20 days. My problem is because there is a lien I technically don't have possession of the car. When I apply for PA registration, it says I can't even get plates unless I have the title on me or the bank sends the title to PennDOT (if the bank sends it to PennDOT, the plates are issued from PennDOT, which may take weeks). Given all the red tape, I am afraid I might have a car with expired plates sitting for a while since this surely would take longer than 20 days.

Anyone have experience with this type of purchase? I am curious to hear how you did it.
    I think the vast majority of cars that get registered are financed so I don't think PA would deny you registration on that basis. In any case, head on over to Buying used cars from out of state to discuss your situation.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Hi there, new to this forum, and I have to say it ROCKS! Anyway, I'm looking at buying an 03' infinity G35 40K miles, in perfect condition. He his asking $13500. There's the catch, it has a rebuilt title. I've driven the car and checked it over, there are no signs of damage, or anything. It drives straight, tires are worn normally. etc...
    Edmunds says the PP value is $18754 with a clean title.
    So how much to offer? Should I just run the other way?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Marc
    I think Infiniti G35: Prices Paid & Buying Experience would be a good place to post your question. You may also want to look into Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mintjulepmintjulep Posts: 28
    Help! Is there a forum or thread that already deals with this?

I am moving to Georgia next month for a new job, but plan to buy my new Honda Fit in Texas, my parents' home state, before moving. Should I register my car in GA or TX?

According to GA state law, I must register my car within 30 days of residency. However, in talking to a few dealerships in TX, it seems that I may be able to keep my registration in TX under my parents' address for a period of time?

I wouldn't want to pay double taxes. If I buy as an out-of-state buyer, I can waive the TX sales tax, and just pay GA sales tax at the point of registration. If I buy as an in-state buyer, I pay TX sales tax, but once I register in GA, I'll have to pay GA sales tax anyway (or so it seems). Is there a time limit on these things?? I've read in the forum of people waiting a year to register (e.g. in GA), saving on taxes for that year. It seems to be much cheaper to own a car in TX than in GA, but in my online research, it seems that living in GA and having my car registered in TX would be tax fraud.

:cry: Help me understand!! :cry:
    I would start with Vehicle Sales Tax Questions. It sounds like you're buying new but Buying used cars from out of state may be helpful too.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I seem to be having trouble starting a new thread. I hope it worked this time.........
    I thought maybe its a strong disservice to the readers to have to weed through 38 Plus pages of a thread that began back in 2001. Especially if you want to hear about how is the Cardirect.com company treating people TODAY?

So even if you already posted your experience in that other thread, maybe with a quick COPY N PASTE you can repost those experiences here.

the question today in 2007 is:
    How was your shopping experience with Carsdirect?

thanks
    harry
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    So start at the end and click back a few pages :confuse:
  • jyd247jyd247 Posts: 5
    Hi, I am in the hunt for either a new or used car this winter and I am very undecided what to buy. My limit is around 35K. I was hoping to get a used Audi S4 (2004-2005) but I hear of reliability problems, plus the usual cost of maintaining a German car. I am hoping to get my hands on a reliable, fun driving, quick (fast), women approve kind of car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any direction you can get me in.
    Our discussion called Help me decide.. is tailor-made for you! Try posting there.

• webgirlwebgirl Posts: 8
    Long story short: my fiance and I bought a Scion a few weeks ago, and while the payment is within our means we ridiculously overpaid by getting suckered into the lower interest rate with the Toyota financing add-ons.

What is the best thing to do at this point? Just pay the loan off as quickly as we can? I am kicking myself over this because I knew this was a bad move but was a first-time buyer and trusted my fiance's judgment.
    You might post in our Financing New Vehicles discussion to get feedback from those in the know.

167891012»
This discussion has been closed.