Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask the Smart Shopper Hosts for directions!

Comments

• eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Why is the inconsiderate salesperson board now read only?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    eharri3, it will remain "closed" for a while until things settle down.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Nobody was insulting eachother or saying anything crude.
  • Hi,

I'm confused about the difference in value assigned to autos. I'm looking at a M-Class Benz (2000 ML430). At Edmunds, the retail value with the options I want is $39,004. I checked the value calculated at the Kelly Blue Book site and they arrive at a value that's much higher: $41,950. When I go to haggle with the dealer, how do I know from where to start?
  • woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    Is there a thread to discuss various Aftermarket Warranties? I'm looking into at least a couple of different ones: "Millenium", & also "AAA Membercare" (thru the Auto Club); & finding it difficult to get any independent info. or advice on any of these.

Thanks!
    Hi mursesba

The safest thing to do is to start out with your lowest offer, and be prepared to negotiate towards the highest you are willing to pay. Keep in mind, the values you see presented are guides, and the actual vehicle you are interested in is priced on its own merits. Guides don't take things like local demand, color, or other factors into account. You need to make what you feel is a fair offer, for THAt vehicle.

kcram
    Host
    Hi woodyww

The place to go is the Finance/Warranty/Insurance Board here at Town Hall. There are several active discussions regarding extended warranties, including one about Millennium. See you there!

kcram
    Host
  • I need some additional information. I have scoured Edmunds.com for all the valuable info I'd need to go buy a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T. I have come across something that I didn't anticipate given my research. I thought my deal had gone well when I agreed to $500 over invoice (since I had these figures) There were some "extra" charges that I am not familiar with. Can someone please explain and comment on what is: reasonable dollar amount for the advertising fee in So. CA, reasonable shipping fee, to ship desired car from another CA 300+ mi. dealership, to dealership purchasing from, Prep. fee (to prep car for shipping) Floor plan reserve fee. Please respond soon as I'd like to purchase the car now. Thank you.
    Hi lori28

You may wish to post this question in the "Any Questions for a Car Dealer" discussion here in Smart Shopper. One of the regulars, "vwguild", is a Volkswagen dealer, and should be able to help you with some of the fee figures.

Click here to get to the discussion:
    Any Questions For A Car Dealer?

kcram
    Host
  • Car_man,

Is there a discussion area for discussing the pros/cons and experiences in using a "buyer" to search for a specific vehicle and negotiate best price?

Thanks!

Jeff
  • Good question, Jeff. I have seen posts that discuss using car brokers to purchase vehicles in the past, but I do not think that there has ever been a substantial topic dedicated to this subject. I personally believe that if one researches the vehicle that they are interested in purchasing or leasing so that they know its MSRP, dealer invoice price, any available incentives, and what the market is like for it at the time they should be able to get a good price on their vehicle just by visiting or calling a few dealerships and comparison shopping. In my opinion, brokers just add another party to the equation who has to profit from your deal. If you would like, please feel free to create a new topic on this subject here on the Smart Shoppers Message Board.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • I'm interested in purchasing a very popular vehicle (Honda Odyssey) sometime in the next several months. I've been told that with new manufacturing capacity recently added, supply should begin to exceed demand, which would seemingly increase the dealer's motivation to negotiate on the car. Is there an area on Edmunds where I can check current vehicle inventories for a make and model? If not, is that information available elsewhere? How significant do you think this information is in negotiating the best deal?

Thanks alot!
  • Hi volvowner. I was actually having the same exact thoughts about the Honda Odyssey the other day. I was wondering if their new plant would increase the supply of this van and help bring prices down a little bit. At first I thought that this would probably happen, but when I thought about it a little more I came up with two reasons why it might not. One reason why prices might not be affected that much is that Honda may use some of the excess capacity that this plant creates to build their new SUV. Depending upon how many units of this new model they build, the supply of Odysseys might not increase dramatically. My second thought that the demand for this model might actually be strong enough to sell out the additional production without any trouble at all, thus providing dealerships with little incentive to provide discounts on it. Only time will tell what will happen. As far as specific inventory numbers go, I should be able to find out any inventory numbers you would like. Please feel free to give me a holler when you would like to know what the stock level is like for this van. Manufacturers have usually released their monthly inventory numbers by the 10th of the month. Talk to you soon.

Car_man
    Host
  • If I have a non-dealer item installed on or in my new car, will that hurt the warranty?
  • Bostont, that depends upon the item. Of course the exact policy on this sort of matter will likely vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but items that dramatically alter the way the vehicle operates, like a chip or a new exhaust system may impact void your car or truck's warranty. On the other hand, minor items, like a modification to the stereo, the addition of chrome rims, etc... may not have any impact on the warranty at all. What are you thinking about doing to your vehicle?

Car_man
    Host
  • bostontbostont Posts: 37
    Happy New Year, Car_man, I just want to add an alarm. I thought I'd be able to save a little money by getting a non-dealer alarm.
  • I personally don't think that an alarm would void your vehicle's warranty, but you really need to find out for certain before you have one installed. I suppose that your car's manufacturer could claim that an aftermarket alarm might harm your vehicle's electrical system if not installed properly. First, check your vehicle's owners manual to see if it has any information on this subject. If not, place a call to your manufacturer's customer service line.

Car_man
    Host
  • I have recently been shopping for either an Accord or a Camry. Both list LATCH attachments on their standard equipment list. However, on actual inspection I find the attachments only on the two rear outboard seats, not the middle. This seems absurd, since every safety article I have read suggests that the safest place for a child seat is in the rear middle seat. Do any of the Town Hall groups have a discussion of this point, or, if not, which would be most appropriate? Thank you.
    Hi sgrstan

I have searched the various boards here at Town Hall, and I could not find a suitable discussion for your question. This might be a good discussion for you to start here in Smart Shopper, as I'm sure others in your position may have similar questions and concerns.

kcram
    Host
  • Has anybody seen a chart, graph, article, or anything on which cars depreciate the worst or best?
  • Does the TMV take in account the regional advertising cost?

Thanks!
    Rick Harman
    Hi charman123

TMV is an average of selling price without sales tax and DMV fees. Since ad fees are part of the dealer's invoice, they really have little effect on the average selling price - some dealers are covering it, some are selling loss leaders.

kcram
    Host
  • I just joined Town Hall, so perhaps this question is answered in some other Edmund's area. If so, I apologize for posting here.

I read that it is possible to purchase the Honda S2000 for MSRP and that the midwest is usually where that can happen. How can I find out exactly where? I would like to contact the dealership.

Thanks.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi s2kwannabe. Given the current market for the Honda S2000, I personally believe that you will have a difficult time finding one for less than full MSRP. However, if anyone has been able to get one for less than full price, you may be able to interact with them over on the Town Hall Coupes, Convertibles & Sports Cars Message Board. There are several discussions about this vehicle, like the S2000 Owners Forum, in that section of this site.

Car_man
    Host
  • Is there anywhere on Edmunds or a website that lists the canadian dealer invoice prices? I know that edmunds and kelly blue book has the US prices, does one for Canada exist?

Thanks,

Derek
    Hi Derek. Edmunds.com does not currently provide pricing information for Canadian vehicles. In fact, I am not aware of any Web sites that provide this sort of information to consumers free of charge. However, there are services that provide Canadian invoice price data for a small fee. The following discussions contain information on them:

- guizmo "How do I get to know dealer cost in Canada?" Feb 4, 1998 6:10pm

- wma "CANADA PRICING" Jan 29, 2001 2:06pm

- bnormann "Canadian Car Buying" May 17, 1999 2:01am

Car_man
    Host
  • All of a sudden on March 17th almost every topic said it had a recent posting, but some of them didn't. Also there were suddenly about a dozen new topics.

Any idea what's going on? St. Patrick's Day special?
  • mrholtmrholt Posts: 10
    I have a quick question for the group. I know what Car I am looking for (2002 Altima) but it is about $1,500 out of my price range. Therefore I have decided to try and find a demo car or a used rental. I have spoken to people at all the major rental companies in my area, and they are looking for me. Where would i find out which dealers have demos for sale of these. I have called two dealers in my area (WI) to see if they have any and the sales persons said no. One politely declined, the other I think misunderstood what I was asking for as she said they probably wouldn't start seeing those until next year? Any suggestions how I could find one? Website, call nissan directly? Sneak into a dealer auction?

PS. It does not have to be in my area as traveling to buy the car is not a problem, actually kind of nice as I work for an airline and can travel anywhere quite easily, and the drive home would allow me to see part of the country.
    Sam_beaver, as you may have already noticed, Edmunds.com had implemented a new feature in the Town Hall that enables discussions to be categorized by choosing their subject matter from a series of drop-down lists. This new feature will ultimately make searches much more effective as well as enable Edmunds to promote Town Hall content on vehicle pricing pages more accurately than in the past. After this feature went live, KC and I went through and categorized all of the existing discussions on this message board. Unfortunately as we did this all of the discussions that we categorized appeared as though they had new content, even when they didn't in some instances. Fortunately, this was a one time event and not community members must select categories for discussions on their own when they create them.

Car_man
    Host
    The only way that I am aware of that you can search for demos is to physically visit or call dealerships directly. Of course, certain dealerships list their current new and used vehicle inventory on their Web sites. This would make your search much easier, but Nissan dealerships are not required to do this by their manufacturer. If you are interested in former rental cars, you can always contact rental car companies directly to see if they can provide you with any information on vehicles that they might have for sale. Also, you can always look around on the Internet on sites such as e-bay or Auto Trader to see if they have any low mileage new Altimas listed. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful, but there really is no easy way to find out what low mileage used vehicles are available in your area without doing some legwork.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.