Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Touring vs GT comparison

sashersasher Member Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in Mazda
I'm looking to by a 2009 CX-9 and trying to decide between the Touring and Grand Touring, both with AWD. We live in the Bay Area so good traction on wet winter roads is important which is why we typcially favor AWD for our vehicles. While we don't get snow where we live, we do drive up to the snow a couple of times during the winter.

I really like some of the options which are only available on the GT, but after reading some of the posts in these forums, it sounds like you need to replace the tires on the GT to drive in the snow. Is this true of the Touring, as well? Is this only a problem on the FWD versions? Would chains solve the problem without replacing the tires?

Thanks for any comments/recommendations!

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    slasher,
    I live in Fremont.
    I've taken my CX9 to Lake Tahoe in winters for skiing.
    No major issues. The OE tires are not top-notch for snow, but it works if the roads are plowed. I haven't taken it on unplowed roads yet, so no comments on that.
    I plan to get rid of the OE tires before this winter (only 22K on them).

Negotiate (when you buy) with the dealers to trade in the OE tires for Yoko Parada Spec-X.
    You won't regret for it even if you have to pay them $100-200.
  • sashersasher Member Posts: 10
    ceric,
    Thanks for your reply! Do you have the Touring or GT? AWD or FWD? Just wondering if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!
    sasher
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I have a GT AWD.
    Mazda AWD is a very good (you can't barely tell when it interferes).
    However, AWD does reduces MPG significantly (more than the EPA's 1mpg!!!).
    On other forum, people have found that, the difference in MPG is more like 2-3mpg on city driving, and 1mpg on highways.
    Know that before you buy. :)
    I got 22mpg on long trip to Sacramento (680->580->205->5/99).
    However, driving around Bay Area in commute traffic (16mph one way),
    I usually get about 16.xmpg. Mixed driving with Bay Area traffic.
This discussion has been closed.