Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• I have 06 chevy van 4500 miles with similar problem of batt not holding a charge. It has been starting fine since I personally replaced the ac delco batt with an old autocraft I had stored in my garage. I haven't had any problems since.
    Starts fine no matter how long it sits. I went thru the hole bit at 1200 miles when van would not start after sitting for a couple few days.Dealer had all day an said can't find problem. Says has state of the art equipment. I say do you have anybody knows how to use? Cause won't start. I had fully charged batt before taking to dealer and stopped at batteries plus on the way. I had him do free load test and said was no good then dropped off at dealer. What a hassle. After dealer said everythings fine I stopped at batt plus again and told him I need to check again , thinking might not have been fully charged first stop. he told me same thing that it should not be dropping so fast on load test and batt no good. So was total waste of precious time cause 2 days later she would not start again.It was such a hassle I decided to put this old battery in and did not have any trouble after about a months time. So i call dealer and told i want new batt and after a bunch of crap got a replacement of same kind ac delco and after several months had same problem again.Must be a bad lot of batteries from ac delco cause after i put that old spare 60$ battery in no troubles. My wife has no trouble with her ac delco and hers is 01 model. Called roadside assistance one time when would't start and he said to me you can throw all these delcos in the trash. Guess he's seen alot of bad ones. After thinking about it system draws can be very hard to diagnose. One cheap and easy way to tell if draw or batt is to make sure is fully charged and disconnect cable and leave sit if no juice when connect and try start it is batt. If starts must have been something drawing current. Or just try new battery. I am glad in my case that was problem . I hope thats all thats wrong with yours. service is terrible now days.Very few good techs.
  • My Battery would die after sitting for a day. I would charge it up and drive around to different places stopping and starting the Tahoe with no problems. But if I let it sit over night the battery would be dead in the morning. I got tired of this and just bought a new battery at Wal-Mart.

I haven't had any problems with the battery since I put it in. I hope that the problem was just the old battery couldn't hold a charge. It was only about 3 years old.

It's been a couple of months now since I put the new battery in and I haven't had any problems with starting.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    A battery won't "hold" a charge basically for one of three reasons: (a) it is old or defective (b) the alternator isn't able to provide adquate recharging or (c) there is some drain on the battery. With a little luck, your problem was (a). :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have a 2007 Silverado LTZ and and went to start my truck Sunday morning and the battery was completely dead. I jump started it and everything seamed fine, but I made an appointment with the dealer to check it out due to the fact nothing was left on or added to the truck. I did notice some variance in my volt meter since the battery went dead. The dealer did a draw test after the 20 min system shut down time and had a 5 milamp draw which is like none at all. the did a load test on the battery and check the charging system and everything checked ok. Needless to say I started searching the NET and found this information in EDMONDs. Guess what my battery was dead Sunday morning and Onstar ran a system check Saturday. This make four incidents since the middle of August. I have called Onstar to see if they have any knowledge of the problem and needless to say the first tech person I talked with knew nothing and could only tell me to get in my truck and push the ONstar button and have them run another Diagnostic on it. Tried unsuccessfully to tell this person the dealer had already done that and all she could say was if I didn't do it she would put a note in my file the I refused. ( Like I wanted her to make my battery go dead again). I finally got her to give my a more technical person who put me on hold to see if Onstar had any information on this problem. They had no previous records on this issue. I am trying to get with the service manger at the dealership to see if they can get any information on this problem or run a test with Onstar. I think someone had a mad employee who planted a bug in the computer programs.
  • An Update on my original post. Remember my problem doesn't appear to be the battery (it's been replaced), I don't have a NAV system or ANY add-ons, has nothing to do with the Hoe sitting for a few days without being used, but does seem to correlate to the day after Onstar runs monthly diagnostics on it. This month we felt sure our dealership was going to catch it. Instead, they didn't call us to let us know we needed to bring it in, which would have been fine if our "prediction" as to what day of the month it was going to die (because it did so the previous few months on that same day) had happened. But it didn't, so we're waiting another month. here's my theory as to why we didn't catch it this month...

On the previous few months, we woke up early in the AM on the 21st with a message from Onstar about the diagnostics. My suspicion is that they ran the test 12 to 14 hours before the email went out to us with results. At that time, those months, the Hoe was sitting in my garage not used. If "something" was left on, it had maybe 14 to 16 hours to run down before we tried to start it and found it completely dead. This month, however, we got the email from Onstar about 12 hours early: in the afternoon on the 20th. Well, because of that timing, I had the Hoe at work and a couple hours after we got the email (maybe 3 hours) I had to start the vehicle in order to drive home. If something was left on, it didn't have that 14 to 16 hours to remain on without the alternator charging it back up, or even more likely, for the starting of the engine to reset whatever was left on. So the problem didn't show up this month.

Which gets me thinking about all those who don't see this problem: could it be that the timing of when the test is run as it compares to how long the vehicle sits after the test before being started. Surely Onstar has to stagger their tests. Maybe our first few months were plagued with problems due to timing of the test and how long it sat idle afterwards? Maybe we won't see it again until the natural cycle of timing comes back around to them running the tests after I get home from work for the night? Certainly if they ran the test during a several day long period of vehicle inactivity, this would fit the mold too.

And more importantly, can't I (and possibly you) avoid this all together if I cancel Onstar? I mean, if they aren't running checks in the middle of the night, it doesn't seem like I have the problem. After all, if I need an email to tell me when it's time to change my oil, well, maybe I should be driving a Mercedes.
  • have called Onstar to see if they have any knowledge of the problem and needless to say the first tech person I talked with knew nothing and could only tell me to get in my truck and push the ONstar button and have them run another Diagnostic on it
    These postings regarding On-Star potentially causing battery run-down, certainly are interesting.....having just replaced my Sub with a new one that has On-Star. I was beginning to like the On-Star concept.

I have not had my first monthly diagnostic and email, so I will be on the lookout and will track when these things occur. I've also put a set of jumper cables in the back, just in case.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this potential problem.
  • I am going to run a test the weekend by having Onstar run a diagnostic test manually this weekend. I have talked to the dealership and if this does not work they will try to do a test with Onstar running the diagnostic with their automated system. The automated system program for the diagnostic is probably different from the manually activated system. Please note that if the diagnostic is run while you are driving or on a day you are using the vehicle you probably won't have a problem. This is the first time they have run the diagnostic on a weekend and I hadn't driven my truck after the diagnostic. (Please note this is just a Theory at this point) On the other hand I do have Onstar and the dealer engaged.
  • I ran 2 test this weekend. Friday afternoon I had Onstar run their diagnostic manually with the truck running and left it parked over night and the next morning I checked the battery and it was at 12.6 volt(perfect). So Saturday afternoon I again had Onstar run their diagnostic manually with the key in the on position and the engine not running. Sunday morning everything was OK. Talked with a onstar Tech Friday and it was a lost cause, he knew basic trouble-shoot and the basics for Onstar and tried to tell me the command for the manual test was the same as the automated test. The man was clueless and had no knowledge of current GM systems. Told me there was no way they could run and automated test and that I would have to wait for the date it was set to run. Waste of time!
    Called GM customer service and asked for a tech person and was told I could not be given straight to tech so I had to give this person that couldn't speak english all the information I had gathered only to be told he couldn't help and would have to transfer me to a tech. The Tech got on the line and told me he was sorry to hear my truck was cutting out on me. (The fist guy also couldn't understand english) This person was very helpful and concerned, check history for other onstar problem and found nothing! Told him about the test I was going to run and he told me he would call me Tuesday for the results of my testing and what further action my dealer would be taking. Talked with my service manager today and they are going to call GM and Onstar and we sat and made up a list of questions and concerns for onstar to include the content of the commands and the systems effected. I recommend everyone call onstar just to let them know you have a problem and call GM customer service 800-222-1020 GM tech 866-790-5600. I am real pleased with the efforts my dealership is putting into this (Whitlow Chevrolet in Richmond, VA.) Have also Though of possible bad batch of Onstar interface Modules.
  • jch2jch2 Posts: 3
    We too had a battery issue. 2007 Tahoe LTZ with Nav and DVD plus DVD in headrest. 2 months old and thing died in parking lot. Dealer replaced the battery. Hasn't died since but I get a popping noisy sometimes when I turn it on (like an amp popping) and my kids are going to loose their hearing because out of no where the headsets will screech/scream with interference noise. Doesn't matter which system they are using or if only one child is in the car watching a DVD. Dealer says no electrical issues and points to headrest DVDs (although the factory system with factory headsets will do it too). Aftermarket place says no issues with their system, must be electrical in car. The volt meter shows a different voltage everyday and within each day. Dealer said this is normal for Tahoe. I had 3 Navigators before this Tahoe, all with DVD and Navigation systems and none had issues like this.
  • Have talked with GM Tech 3 times and several times with the service managers at the dealership and GM will not tell the dealership anything unless the Truck is in for service. Tonight I got a call from GM TECH and they told me ON-STAR is a separate company and that is why they will not give information to me or the dealer. He also told me ON-STAR had changed the code. My question was what was the problem and what did the commands consist of. I would say they would have to change the programming for the commands and that may have been the problem. BUT you have to understand I am being told they changed the code not that there was a problem and that they had found a fix for it. I love my ON-Star and have only had to use it once for and emergency and was glad I had it and if you ever need it you will also be glad you have it. As far as there customer service on their Diagnostic service it sucks!
  • juju2juju2 Posts: 3
    MAN I'M GLAD TO HEAR THIS!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one having this problem. I bet they thought I was crazy.(dealership) I have a 2007 Tahoe LT3. My Tahoe is garage kept, but we drive it on the weekends and traveling. My problem first happened when I accidentally let it sit for about 2 weeks without starting it. Yeah that's another issue. I jumped it, and it was okay. Then a couple of weeks later we went out of town. Everything was fine until we got ready to come home that morning. It wouldn't start!!!!!!!!! So I take it to the dealership, and of course they can't figure out what the problem is. The second time my wife tried to start one morning and it was dead. I came home after bought a battery jumper, used it to start the truck. I took it to the dealership, and luckily it died on the driveway. They couldn't even start it to move it to the back. Now today, I took it to the car wash after sitting since Sunday.
    And guess what, it died on car wash line. How embarassed do you think I was because they couldn't get it moved. It was holding up the whole line up. So I call "my lovely Onstar", and setup the roadside assistance. After I got off of the phone with them(~15 minutes), something told me to try it again. For some reason it started rght up.
    Now that's 3 times. I'm a little upset to say the least. I feel like we are paying too much for this vehicle not be reliable, and having to log around a battery jumper. If anybody finds out what's causing the problem please let me know.
  • Unfortunately, I haven't had the problem the last couple of months. The truck's been in the shop for numerous other issues, and I'm afraid they might have reprogrammed something, but they're not talking. If you're battery wasn't dieing like clockwork after the on-star monthly health check, your issue doesn't sound the same as what I had to begin with. Most recently, our vehicle was in the shop due to a loud buzzing coming from the on-star microphone in the ceiling above the driver's head. It happened to us a couple times when we noticed it. I suspect that after the monthly on-star check up, they were leaving that microphone on, or the process was leaving it on, and that was draining the battery overnight while it sat in our garage the night's that it died completely. But I can only speculate.
  • juju2juju2 Posts: 3
    After not starting again 3Xs just last week, I got it to the shop for the third or fourth time. They said they think it is linked to the fuel pump relay staying on at times draining the battery. They've check for this once before, but couldn't get it to fail. I'm glad it failed this time, and hope this is the root cause of the problem. Or maybe I should say that I hope they fixed those bad relays as well. Needless to say they replaced the fuel pump relay and the battery. I hope this helps, so we can enjoy our vehicles without the problems.
  • I have had the same problem with my 07 avalanche... dead as a door nail on some mornings for no reason. I was absolutely choked after spending that money for unreliable / unpredictable vehicle and no one giving me any answers so after a few hours of searching the internet, I came across this summarized GM bulletin. I hope this helps... Cheers

Subject: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles-Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative and Battery Rundown-Expires with Base Warranty #07007B - (02/13/2007) Models: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Suburban, Tahoe
    This bulletin provides a service procedure for reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) and the remote keyless entry transmitter (FOB) on certain 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne; 2006-2007 Cadillac DTS; 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX; 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Suburban, Tahoe; 2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2007 Pontiac Torrent vehicles. On these vehicles, the RKE may become inoperative. Also, for the 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; and GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles (GMT900 Utility) only, this bulletin provides a service procedure for reprogramming the body control module (BCM). On these vehicles, and under certain conditions such as operating the radio with the engine off, the battery can become discharged, preventing engine start-up. Customer vehicles that return for service, for any reason, and are still covered under the vehicle's base warranty, and are within the VIN breakpoints provided below, should be checked for vehicle eligibility in the appropriate system listed below. Year Division Model From Through 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 7J177482 7J270240 7R205597 7R297218 Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved. Important: This bulletin contains two reprogramming procedures, 1) reprogramming of the BCM, and 2) reprogramming of the RCDLR. Not all vehicles require reprogramming of both. • The Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles require the BCM and RCDLR reprogramming.
  • caniwicaniwi Posts: 1
    03 2500 Suburban
    Something is draining the battery down to about 9 volts, enough to start the truck.
    All electical systems apper to work, it is just something is drawing a large amout of current when the verchicle is turned off. So much so, that even after a couple of hour trip (plently of time to chagre a battery), If I turn the vechicle off and then turn the ignition on, I will see the voltmeter on the dash slow drop down to arounf the 9 volt level.

I don't beleive it is the alternator as I have had it checked. It is not the battery as I have replaced it and the new one is doing the same thing.

All fuses are the correct size and non are blowing.

I think it is associated with an accessory as if I have a volt metter on the battery, the votage will drop when I open the door (understadable as there are lights on) and after about 20sec, when the lights go off it starts to rise. A short time latter there is another jump in the votage reading. Once when I was in the truck I heard a click at the time the second voltage rise.

I beleive there is an accessory timer that turns off everything if left on. Does anyone know where this relay is? if it is easy to get at and does not control two much I would like to pull it to see if it stops the voltage drop.

I also noticed that if I pull the 'tpc bat' fuse (10A), it stops the voltage drop.

Becase the battery does not go completely dead, I am figuring that what ever is pulling the current to drop the voltage has to be on a timer of some description.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Caniwi
  • the car originally had a 600 cca and i replaced it with 700cca is that ok? will it cause starter problems? thanks in advance
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    That's fine. CCA (cold cranking amps), is the maximum current that can be drawn from the battery when it is cold. The current that is actually drawn, depends on the starter motor. Having extra power available if needed, is goodness.
  • Ok thanks for your help....just wanted to be sure that I don't burn anything out. Thanks again....Chris
  • i have an 07 tahoe with no aftermarket acccessories in it. Lastnight i pulled it in the garage listening to the radio while steam cleaning the upholstery. Not even 30-40 mins I cranked it and it's dead.... I got it jump started but it ran rough and all these lights started popping up on the screen and one message said, "Engine power reduced".. WHAT THE HELL???? I tried to back it out in the driveway but there was no power and almost cut out.. I let it sit for an hour then whalaaaa!! it starts and runs normal.. But the engine light is on,, I swear my truck is possessed or has got some David Copperfield crap going on but I had them tow it and I'm requesting a new battery and diagnostic. NO WAY should a new truck die in 40mins from listening to the radio.. This will be my first and LAST Chevy.. I already had a recall on something in my transmission last year... :mad:
  • I have a 2007 avalanche that has gone dead 4 times over the year. I had the 7007B update I was told before the first time it went dead. ALso had a new battery 1 week before my last episode. I have had 're-programs' since that first update for other things and wonder if that over wrote the 7007 update. Can anyone tell me if this computer fix really did work? My truck has been there for 9 days now and I think they are still coming up empty.
  • 2007 Tahoe w 11k died while driving on Interstate 65mph. Been on road approx 5hrs when vehicle lost all power motor shutdown however all lights electrical remained on. Vehicle totally dead would not start. Gauges Warning lights flashing
    power drivetrain failure . Towed to dealership where they advised the battery had failed while driving and shutdown computer(best guess). Replaced battery .
    Amazing if battery failed while driving and why did all lights DVD continue to work.
    When dealership opened next morning the battery was totally dead. :lemon:
  • No Actually my wife was driving and the loss of power was so sudden & unexpected. We were more concerned at the time about the 18 wheeler behind us and being rear-ended. By the time we got to the shoulder of the road all guages were inactive. Only the warning indicators were flashing but nothing indicating battery issues that I ca :sick: :sick: n remember
    Did you happen to notice what the battery voltage was on the battery gauge when the engine died?
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    Delco Remy battery division was sold couple years back to Johnson Control

jt
  • ndmattendmatte Posts: 4
    My battery died two days after I brought my Tahoe home. I was listening to the radio on accessary. Never would have thought that would happen after an hour. Jumped it and for the most part have had little to no trouble until I bought a 3rd car for in and around driving in town. Tahoe sits for more than 4 days and the battery dies. I was getting ready to take it in for service and have the battery checked and well, transmission went out the day prior to the service. Kicking myself for trading in the 03 Trail Blazer that cause me no problems.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,633
    I've been reading the Inconsiderate Drivers discussion too long. I was thinking about the other kind of tailgating at first. :shades:

An iPod shouldn't drain your battery like that, much less the radio and interior lights. If the dealer is blowing you off, try contacting GM direct and ask them to open a case. Sounds like you have a parasitic battery drain somewhere since your battery checks out.

Anyone else?

Better hurry with a fix, football season is just around the corner!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Well I have a 2007 Sub LTZ (and from Raleigh), so this post peaks my interest, but unfortunately I'm not going to have a lot of time to research this so I'll give you a couple of my thoughts. Perhaps you'll find the answer before I get around to looking at this, who knows when that will be.

First, I would not have thought that there is THAT much current drain which would drain the battery completely, so I agree thats omething is wrong or this is a dumb design.

Secondly, unless the battery is weak, I would expect that something of substantive current draw is on. A couple things that I would look at are:
    - Daytime Running Lights/dome/courtesy lights
    - auto leveling compressor/pump
    - AC compressor clutch
    - HVAC blower fans front or back
    - elect radiator / ac fans
    - heated seats, etc.
    - defogger circuit, elect windshield washer fluid
    - electric fuel pump?
    - or something you have plugged into power outlets.
    Try to figure out what might be on by listening to each of those, and whatever else I haven't thought about off the top of my head.

Third, if you can't find the drain culprit from just listening, then you'll have to put an ammeter on the battery to observe the battery drain, and then start popping fuses to figure out which circuit is causing the drain.

Fourth, if all else fails, you can always add a 2nd battery to the vehicle. Put in an isolator typical of marine multi-battery installations, where the start battery doesn't get depleted.

To the OP.....are you just running the radio, or do you have a bunch of things plugged in (like a portable refrigerator !!). What is it that you are purposely having "ON" while tailgating?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    every time I leave the radio on and the doors open, even with the dome lights off, the battery drains to a point of needing a jump...

Given enough time, any draw of current will drain a battery. Are we talking minutes? Hours? Days?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    tidester,

Suburban's have an interior lights override button, which allows you to select whether you want the dome (and the other interior lights) to stay on when the doors are open, or to be off. That allows you to have the doors open, and not wear down the battery.