Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,076
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have had problems with your vehicle. Please let me know how it goes at the dealership. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Just noticed that you might have an idea what is going on with our 03 Chevy Tahoe. The Battery is being drained quickly and we've about exhausted our mechanics on what is happening. With everything disconnected even the Alternator it's still pulling around 7volts. Every thing like battery, alternator fuses etc have been marked okay. Any suggestions?
  • 03harley03harley Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    :confuse: I JUST GOT THIS 07 TAHOE WITH 20 INCH WHEELS AND IM THINKING OF BUMPING IT UP TO SOME CUSTOM WHEELS AND STRONGLY THINK OF PUTTING ON SOME CUSTOM 24" WHEELS I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IM GOING TO BE ALRIGHT ON THIS DECISION? WHATS THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS,
  • triadiumtriadium Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that I've had since 2006. Since I've had it I've experienced several times (5+) a dead battery as a result of running the dvd player without the engine running. My question is this: how long should I be able to run it before the fully-charged battery dies? In my experience, it can die in under 15 minutes. Is this normal? It seems to me that it should run much longer. In other words, can someone walk me through the math to calculate what the theoretical time the Tahoe battery would last under the draw of the entertainment system? By the way, here's a snippet from Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the 2007 Chevy Tahoe (full article = http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2007/long-term-test-2007-chevrolet-tah- oe-lt.html):

"On two occasions the Tahoe failed to start. First it was because we ran the headlights with the engine off, and then we overused the radio on accessory mode. Each time the battery was solely in use for about 20 minutes. With the help of jumper cables the SUV started right up both times, but we found it hard to believe there was such limited juice in the battery."
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited April 2010
    Battery storage is rated in AMP-Hours.

So a brand new 400 amp hour battery would have enough stored current to drive a 20amp draw on it, for 20 hours....and it would be dead.

I don't know the draw by the starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 100 amps.

I know there are a couple people who have complained about battery life while running music. I personally have not experienced that problem, so haven't looked into it and diagnosed the problem. However if I did have the problem, the first thing I'd do is put an ampmeter in series with the battery, to measure the actual current draw when the audio was on. My guess would be, that there are a number of other things that powered while the DVD was on, things that might make the current draw much more substantial than the DVD itself.

Could be things like HVAC blower fans, auto-ride compressor, windshield rain sensor, engine/transmission/body computers, ONSTAR transmitter....who knows.

You then start unplugging fuses, until you see the current drop. Trouble shoot the problem from there.

But try calling the dealer service reps, and see if there is a TSB technical service bulletin or some dealer alert.

I do remember a post somewhere that referenced a problem with a 2007 Tahoe LTZ, that had a bad High Speed Bus Bar. It was a defective part which overheats, and simulates a fake dead battery. Battery is actually fine. They indicated there was a bulletin released in April 2009.

Good luck.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me to give me more information on your vehicle concern? You can click on our profile name, and it will give you my email address. Thank you,
  • limoheinzlimoheinz Posts: 1
    well, i'm joining the club. i own an 07 suburban ltz and expierience no start problems about every 2-4 weeks and after jumping everything is just fine.
    the chevy service adviser statet that there is no servicebulletin out.

i helped myself with installing a 2nd battery right behind the headlight on the driverside-.but don't fool your self and hook it up to your electrical system, use jumpercable when needed and recharge the battery after 3-4 jumps. i know this is polish car repair but it does the trick when you are in a hurry and as long as chevy does not have a fix ?? what will you do ?
  • houghroghoughrog Posts: 2
    I also own a 2007 Tahoe VIN# 1GNEK13Z13J129323 with a no start problem that just started over the weekend, 4 days ago. No prior electrical problems, but Thursday morning it would not start. Jumped it quickly and it ran and restarted 4 times. I suspected something was "left on", but found nothing. Then 2 hours later, no start and had to jump it again. Ran fine and restarted multiple times, then no start again. Checked the terminals, both perfectly clean and put a meter on the battery, it showed a small draw, with nothing turned on, basically I was watching it discharge for no reason. Today I am at my Chevrolet Dealer, where I have it served every time. They tell me that it only has 280 cold cranking amps and needs to be replaced with NO warranty on a 6 year battery! Why is that? Yet if I BUY a new one, I DO get the 6 year warranty. I have yet to determine if this will fix the complete "electrical" no start problem, but it better! Is this what I should expect from a new vehicle battery? I have had 4 Tahoe's over the past 10 years with no battery issues. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,779
    If a battery is stone cold dead, jump starting it multiple times is not a really good idea (of course, nobody really tells us that) ---furthermore, a jumpstart and running the engine for a bit might get you re-started a couple of times but the battery isn't even close to being re-charged at that point.

I'm surprised the battery was not at least "pro-rated"--I think it should be.

• houghroghoughrog Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. Since my 36 months/36,000 is expired now (although I have GM extended warranty too) they say it is NOT covered even though it is suppose to be a 6 year battery. Good news I guess that the NEW replacement battery at the dealer WILL have a 6 year warranty (prorated I assume).
    Hello Houghrog,
    I apologize that you had a problem with your vehicle. Unfortunately I can't diagnose why your battery died over the internet usually the battery is covered under the 3K/3year bumper to bumper warranty unless you have a brand such as a Cadillac then it falls under their warranty. Thank you,
  • I had dead battery problem on my 07 Silverado, truck would have a dead battery, jump start it and it would be good for 2 or 3 months. Started my truck moved near the house to load up to go out of town and dead battery. Did not jump start it had it towed to dealer, tested batter it had a short in one of the cells. They put in a new AC DELCO under warranty. 6 months latter same problem, when to Auto Zone bought a Duralast 1 1/2 yrs latter still no problems.
    Hello Shadetree88,
    I am sorry that you had to go through the battery issues but I'm glad to hear you are no longer experiencing these problems. I'm not able to determine what was causing the problem with the battery but as I stated earlier I'm glad you are no longer having the problem. Thank you,
  • i have had the issue of my battery draining once, until this week. The only thing that i dont see anyone else mentioning is that when i go to start my vehicle, i turn the key and even though i release it, it sounds as if the starter is trying to turn over but doesnt. I turn the key back and on again and it starts with no problem. Do you think this may all be related to the bulletin on getting the ecm system. Another thing that i am unsure of is, the DAY i activated my Onstar, it was the first time i had trouble with my vehicle starting. Coincidence or not, the day i deactivated it, i am now currently having these problems. any suggestions, recommendations etc. are appreciated! :cry:
  • zoesamzoesam Posts: 33
    Tried to start my 2007 Tahoe today, started a couple of times with hesitation but on the 3rd attempt, won't start. Battery dead (lights come on but they go off right away). I don't use my MP3 or Ipod in the car . I drive the car daily. I can't have left anything on, b/c the vehicle shuts off anything you leave on after 10 minutes.

Unlike others here, this is the first time ever it won't start HOWEVER I've had weirdness upon startup every few months. I will start the car & a whole bunch of the fan controls (passenger, aux, a/c, high fan speed) will suddenly be on. I never turn on passenger or aux as I'm always the only one in the vehicle. Usually it's just the A/C & fan controls, but in the last 3 days, this startup weirdness starting happening more often & yesterday it set my Parking Assist off & occasionally it will cause the SERVICE TPMS notice to go on. Occasionally it will change the date & time to default.

These are minor annoyances & the fix that virtually always works is to shut off the car & turn it back on & everything is normal. The only reason I re-started today 3x is b/c all my A/C & fan controls were magically on & the TPMS Service message. Today they wouldn't shut off, that's why I kept restarting the car & on the 3rd time it died. Battery is only 3 yrs old, so I'm suspecting some kind of drain, caused by GM's system, not user caused. Has anyone gotten any more recent info on this??

Any system updates that might fix it? I really don't think it's the actual battery.
  • dyno1973dyno1973 Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    My 07 tahoe battery drains completly dead overnight. Wake up next morning and cant start vehicle. I narrowed the problem down to the radio. if i remove the fuse for the radio or unplug the radio it does not drian the battery. I did an amperage check and it is drawing about 2 amps with nothing on in the car. The radio is a replacement that was given to me when my original unit was making a whine when you rev the engine. It really annoying that I am not able to have radio and would have to pay to get something fixed that is a factory defect.
    too much draw. Really maybe 400 milliamps should be tops and more like 100 would be desirable.

• bobnhbobnh Posts: 1
    My 2008 Tahoe Battery went Dead today, 1st time. Jumped the car to get it started. After running 5 minutes it smelled like hot plastic. Then the battery drained down to 9 volts in about 10 minutes or less. What is wrong with my Tahoe? :sick:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited October 2010
    Could be a defective cell (or two) in the battery, or something is doing a serious drain on it. Alternator was trying to charge it up, putting 100+ amps thru it, would make it warm.

Take it to an autoparts chain, who can run a battery and alternator load test on it. Most do that free of charge.
    It's never a good idea to jump start a completely dead battery, if that was the case---and even if you do, it's best to get it to a charging station ASAP. The alternator, trying to charge a completely dead battery, can harm itself and the battery as well, if the battery is defective. Every time a battery in a car goes dead, it shortens its life.

• My 07 Tahoe was towed back to the dealer the day after i bought it .4 batteries later i still have the problem . Now the rear lift gate no longer works , and the inside door handles cut your hand when you exit the Tahoe . also when you hit a bump wile listing to the radio , the radio shorts out . oh yea the backup sensors have gone out. This was my first Chevrolet and my last . let me guess they are so sorry Im having problems with my Tahoe and i know they cant diagnose it over the internet,like i still have trust in this company to fix any thing they make. the Tahoe will be in the shop tomorrow, hopefully they can put a bandage on these problems SO I CAN TRADE IT IN ! I am just another unsatisfied customer :lemon:
  • It's pretty amazing to think that so many of us have the same problems and it hasn't been diagnosed or recalled. At the dealership they act like it's never happened and they have no idea - guess they ought to read these posts. Anyway, since we replaced the battery cables themselves the issue seems to have resolved - finally. I don't know if that will be of any help to you or not. Ours has every possible electronic gadget on the vehicle and I keep thinking it's the backup camera or something, but... so far, we have gone 1 month without calling the tow tuck driver that we know by name. This is a first! Also, this 4th battery is not the Delta they installed, we went with a Sears DieHard this time.
    thrownjoker,
    I apologize for your experience and I understand your frustration. What is the specific problem you had it towed back to the dealer for? Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance? Have any of these issues been corrected? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I had a 2007 Silverado and the battery kept dying (4 to 5 times) and finally had towed to the dealer without jumpstarting it and they diagnosed a shorted cell in the DELCO battery. They installed a new battery and within 3 months I had the same problem, Truck was still under warranty but I did not want to have them put in another DELCO. Went to Auto Zone bought a Duralast and never had another problem. I could drive my truck out of the garage park it for 10 min and it would be totally dead. Jump start it any it would be ok for a while. I still have the new DELCO they put in, nice new shiny battery not even good for a paper weight. I am glad DELCO did away with the side terminals as I had two of those batteries that the positive terminal rotted and fell right off the battery but GM would not admit to this issue either. DELCO has cost me time and money due to a poor product. $50,000 for a vehicle and they put a $2.00 battery in it. Hope the DELCO in my new GMC hold up better!
  • Well Christina i forgot to mention that along with the other problems the rear back up senors also stopped working, the car is still at the dealer.I truly think the idea of the Tahoe is awesome it to bad the engineering if the actual car is lacking. So come to find out 2 years ago when the car went in to get the washer recall taken care of (by the dearer) they never did it! They were paid . the new dealer told me it had never been touched . i have owned this car sense 07 , bought it new was told it was safe... i am glad it hasn't burst into flames with my kids in the car . so now the car is out of warranty by 5 or 6 hundred miles . so to date 4 batteries ,4 inside door handles,back up sensors,rear lift gate handle controller,shorting out stereo and nav and a washer heater . So you to can own a LTZ Tahoe for as little as 50,000 and have a little slice of heaven just like me
  • I have a 2007 Suburban and have the same problem you had with your Tahoe. Did this really work for you? There are so many other so called solutions out there. What does the HSBB cost? Have 77K miles on my truck.
    thrownjoker,
    What was the specific problem that had the vehicle towed back to the dealer? Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance? Have any of these issues been corrected? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • The specific problem was the charging system . now its the rear hatch is not working. the dealer just fixed the inside door handles so they don't cut your hands but they don't open the door from the inside so i have to take it back. Only 2 of the 5 doors will open now . Every time you hit a bump in the road the factory nav and stereo shorts out. The rear window defrost power supply cables melted off. my 15 year old truck that has less problems than my LTZ Tahoe . I am in the process with customer service but that's going nowhere . My plan is to fix every thing and sell this car This was my first Chevrolet I wont make this mistake again
  • Christina:
    I joined this forum trying to find out if there were other GM customers having the same problem I have with my 2007 Chevy Tahoe, and I confirmed I am not alone. My battery died the next day I bought my car and continues dying every three days every time I do not start it. I am now on my third battery and I am so tired of jumpstarting my Tahoe every time I need to take it out of my garage. Having only 28,000 miles on it and after many trips to the dealer I am very disappointed. The battery problem continues and now the low quality handle sharp chromes cut both my wife and my 6 year old daughter’s fingers when they open the door. I just found out it is also a known problem.
    If you are serious on helping with this, let me know when you want me to take it to National City, CA Mile of Cars GM dealer. You can email me directly for directions.
    Thank you.
    mozartxxi,
    Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service