Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• dyno1973dyno1973 Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    MY battery would be completely drained after sitting overnight. I jump start it and it would be fine and i can stop the vehicle and start it up again. I did an amperage check and the vehicle was drawing 3+ amps with nothing on at all. We have had weird things happen with the radio so I figured that the radio might be the reason. I pulled the fuse for the radio and problem solved but I have no radio now. My bumper bumper warranty is expired. This is the second radio that I have had in the vehicle. The first one was causing engine whine through the speakers
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Take your vehicle and have the battery and alternator load tested. Most auto parts chains will do that check free of charge. Replace anything not up to snuff.

If those check out okay, then there is something that is draining the battery, and you will need to have an electrical shop test for parasitic current drain.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I didn't see any details in your message...I hope your laptop's battery didn't die ;)

Anyway, here's a good tutorial on this sort of problem. I hope it's of help to you:

http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batteries/BatteryDrain.html

If you tell us a bit more, maybe we can give you advice that relates specifically to your model/year.

• jody1230jody1230 Posts: 1
    Gary~
    I am having the EXACT same problem. Just wondering if you have any new info? I am sooo frustrated!!
  • gary5265gary5265 Posts: 5
    I haven't found a solution to the problem but when I took my Tahoe in to have a BAD wheel bearing replaced I did get the service adviser to admit GM knows about the problem but are admitting to nothing. The Cadillac Escalade is having the same problem. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, GM knows, they just won't admit to the problem because they don't want the expense of a recall to fix it.

Good Luck!
  • I used to have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with the exact same problem; however my dealer did solve the problem back in December when he had the Tahoe in the shop for 8 days. Their is a bulletin that GM released in April 2009 that pin points the problem to the High Speed Bus Bar which is located on the firewall on the passenger side. This is a defective part which overheats. In return it simulates a fake dead battery. Many shops look to the battery as the problem when in reality the battery is fine. Both my dealer and I could not simulate the problem again after replacing this part and following the action steps in the bulletin. Good Luck.
  • I had a similar problem on my 07 LTZ, so I replaced the alternator and it solved the problem. Turns out the alternator wasn't charging the battery fully when running, so I was draining the battery each time I drove it. However, the alternator never actually failed so I never thought it might be the issue. The other clue was that when the engine was running every light on the vehicle would pulse due to uneven amps coming out of the alternator...
  • bigburfbigburf Posts: 1
    I have also been having battery issues in my 07 Tahoe. Started about a year ago, had the alternator replaced. Seemed to fix the problem but not for long. I could stop and get out of the car, run into a convenience store for a coke and get in and dead as a door nail. Other times it would be extremely slow to crank and then it would go for 2 months without another episode. I did find a recall on 07 Tahoes for a fuse problem with the washer fluid heater elements that was credited for a variety of electrical shorts, but I was told mine didn't have the right VIN number for the recall. My charging gauge fluctuates up and down and the cd changer will sound like its stuck to name a couple other symptoms. I will take one of the earlier comments and ask my dealer about the high speed bus bar. I have to say I was surprised to find so many are having issues especially with the 07 model. Best of luck on resolving your issues.
  • lou718lou718 Posts: 1
    I live in Brooklyn N.Y. I drive my tahoe every day ,yet I am no different from these tahoe owners I have heard from today.My tahoe has been giving me problems starting for the last year and a half.Like others I thought it was because my girlfriend kept leaving the radio,heat or ac on. I spent $100 on a portable battery charger,then bought the $185 battery that is compatable with the tahoe.That was 2 days ago.Today I used my battery charger.THIS IS BULL i will keep it clean but it will be going to the mechanic 2day!Just wanted to share cause if not for u guys I would have thought it was just me! :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Is the vehicle still under warranty? Has the battery been looked at for its battery cell level? Have you taken the vehicle to a dealership to have it diagnosed? What is the VIN of the vehicle? You can direct message me if you prefer with your information. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have had problems with your vehicle. Please let me know how it goes at the dealership. Thank you,
  • Just noticed that you might have an idea what is going on with our 03 Chevy Tahoe. The Battery is being drained quickly and we've about exhausted our mechanics on what is happening. With everything disconnected even the Alternator it's still pulling around 7volts. Every thing like battery, alternator fuses etc have been marked okay. Any suggestions?
  • 03harley03harley Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    :confuse: I JUST GOT THIS 07 TAHOE WITH 20 INCH WHEELS AND IM THINKING OF BUMPING IT UP TO SOME CUSTOM WHEELS AND STRONGLY THINK OF PUTTING ON SOME CUSTOM 24" WHEELS I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IM GOING TO BE ALRIGHT ON THIS DECISION? WHATS THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS,
  • triadiumtriadium Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that I've had since 2006. Since I've had it I've experienced several times (5+) a dead battery as a result of running the dvd player without the engine running. My question is this: how long should I be able to run it before the fully-charged battery dies? In my experience, it can die in under 15 minutes. Is this normal? It seems to me that it should run much longer. In other words, can someone walk me through the math to calculate what the theoretical time the Tahoe battery would last under the draw of the entertainment system? By the way, here's a snippet from Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the 2007 Chevy Tahoe (full article = http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2007/long-term-test-2007-chevrolet-tah- oe-lt.html):

"On two occasions the Tahoe failed to start. First it was because we ran the headlights with the engine off, and then we overused the radio on accessory mode. Each time the battery was solely in use for about 20 minutes. With the help of jumper cables the SUV started right up both times, but we found it hard to believe there was such limited juice in the battery."
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited April 2010
    Battery storage is rated in AMP-Hours.

So a brand new 400 amp hour battery would have enough stored current to drive a 20amp draw on it, for 20 hours....and it would be dead.

I don't know the draw by the starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 100 amps.

I know there are a couple people who have complained about battery life while running music. I personally have not experienced that problem, so haven't looked into it and diagnosed the problem. However if I did have the problem, the first thing I'd do is put an ampmeter in series with the battery, to measure the actual current draw when the audio was on. My guess would be, that there are a number of other things that powered while the DVD was on, things that might make the current draw much more substantial than the DVD itself.

Could be things like HVAC blower fans, auto-ride compressor, windshield rain sensor, engine/transmission/body computers, ONSTAR transmitter....who knows.

You then start unplugging fuses, until you see the current drop. Trouble shoot the problem from there.

But try calling the dealer service reps, and see if there is a TSB technical service bulletin or some dealer alert.

I do remember a post somewhere that referenced a problem with a 2007 Tahoe LTZ, that had a bad High Speed Bus Bar. It was a defective part which overheats, and simulates a fake dead battery. Battery is actually fine. They indicated there was a bulletin released in April 2009.

Good luck.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me to give me more information on your vehicle concern? You can click on our profile name, and it will give you my email address. Thank you,
  • limoheinzlimoheinz Posts: 1
    well, i'm joining the club. i own an 07 suburban ltz and expierience no start problems about every 2-4 weeks and after jumping everything is just fine.
    the chevy service adviser statet that there is no servicebulletin out.

i helped myself with installing a 2nd battery right behind the headlight on the driverside-.but don't fool your self and hook it up to your electrical system, use jumpercable when needed and recharge the battery after 3-4 jumps. i know this is polish car repair but it does the trick when you are in a hurry and as long as chevy does not have a fix ?? what will you do ?
  • houghroghoughrog Posts: 2
    I also own a 2007 Tahoe VIN# 1GNEK13Z13J129323 with a no start problem that just started over the weekend, 4 days ago. No prior electrical problems, but Thursday morning it would not start. Jumped it quickly and it ran and restarted 4 times. I suspected something was "left on", but found nothing. Then 2 hours later, no start and had to jump it again. Ran fine and restarted multiple times, then no start again. Checked the terminals, both perfectly clean and put a meter on the battery, it showed a small draw, with nothing turned on, basically I was watching it discharge for no reason. Today I am at my Chevrolet Dealer, where I have it served every time. They tell me that it only has 280 cold cranking amps and needs to be replaced with NO warranty on a 6 year battery! Why is that? Yet if I BUY a new one, I DO get the 6 year warranty. I have yet to determine if this will fix the complete "electrical" no start problem, but it better! Is this what I should expect from a new vehicle battery? I have had 4 Tahoe's over the past 10 years with no battery issues. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    If a battery is stone cold dead, jump starting it multiple times is not a really good idea (of course, nobody really tells us that) ---furthermore, a jumpstart and running the engine for a bit might get you re-started a couple of times but the battery isn't even close to being re-charged at that point.

I'm surprised the battery was not at least "pro-rated"--I think it should be.

• houghroghoughrog Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. Since my 36 months/36,000 is expired now (although I have GM extended warranty too) they say it is NOT covered even though it is suppose to be a 6 year battery. Good news I guess that the NEW replacement battery at the dealer WILL have a 6 year warranty (prorated I assume).