Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• wessywessy Posts: 8
    The problem I'm having with this whole deal is that my service dept says there is no reprogram update available for my truck. They say they are unaware of any issue with a charging system or battery problem. I have talked to other dealers in the area too who have the same story like they have been told to say this from Chevrolet.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Wessy,
    Can you please email me your VIN and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • buygmbuygm Posts: 2
    It has died again and also had another instance where the backup lights were stuck on. It went to the local GM dealership and they said they would be replacing the engine comparment fuse block under warranty. I have a friend with GM that said there is a BCM update from Sept. '09 that addresses a battery drain issue. My Tahoe had a BCM update in April '09, so I am going to have them do the newer update when the vehicle is scheduled for the fuse block replacement.
  • I have the same problem. 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT. Been happening since Day 1 but I always thought it was something else or I had left the lights on, etc so I just went about jumping/charging and now I'm left with a battery that is completely dead. I finally called the dealer but was told that I was 4 months out of my 3 year warranty and they wouldn't cover me under warranty. I called GM directly and was told to get my car to the dealer and then they would figure out what could be one. My dilemma is that it appears there is no fix for this and ultimately, I'm going to take my car to the dealer only to have them tell me they don't know what the problem is or I just need a new battery, charge me, and the problem will just occur again several months down the line. I asked about a BCM update, but both the dealer and GM said there are no recalls or updates for my vehicle.
    Email sent.
    kungfujoe,
    If you have spoke with Customer Assistance I would definitely recommend working with customer assistance. They need to have the vehicle into the dealer for diagnosis in order to assist you. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Does anyone have an answer?!? Short and long of it our 2007 Tahoe intermittenly went dead and needed a jump start. Finally had it towed to the dealer 12/30/09 when it broke down half an hour away from home and they said it needed the radio reprogrammed. Did that, but problem persisted. On 4/22/ 09 I brought it into dealer and bought a new battery and had it installed. Problem seemed to stop for a while but then it started acting up again that winter. In April 2010 I returned to the dealer and they checked everything out and said all OK. I am now careful to NEVER run the radio if the car is not running. NOW the car battery just drains down when the car sits in the driveway. Every time I need to use it I have to get a jump start. So, basically, my car hass been sitting there for months because it is unreliable and I opt to take one of the other cars than to risk breaking down somewhere. Has anyone received any explanation on what is draining the car? I leave NOTHING on...I am sure! GM help me please.
  • Dear Christina:
    I started today Sunday January 30th, 2011 jump starting my Tahoe after only 1 day in the garage. My new battery is only 3 months old. I had to travel to Oceanside,CA about 50 miles from Home, I went there back and forth twice so I am pretty sure I put up around 200 miles in my Tahoe today and battery should be charged fully so after that I went with my family out for Dinner and on our way back I decided to fill my tank at a Gas Station and -guess what- my Tahoe did not started. It took me only 5 minutes to fill out my tank. Solution: Jump start my car again thanks to a guy who had an old 1970 model but -he said- runs better that latest new models.
    I had enough, I am emailing you the info you requested so you can please make sure I can finally get my car fixed. I am pretty sure this is a Car problem and not a battery problem. Please help.
    Regards.
    Mozartxxi
  • 08tahoehybrid08tahoehybrid Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Hi
    I saw your post - I had to respond.
    I have the same issue.
    2008 Hybrid 28k miles
    Love the car - no other problems.

I thought my wife or kids left a door open etc.. - I jumped it started right up. a week later same-thing.
    I brought to dealership 12/20/10- said that the computer needed to be updated with latest software - said no battery problems - they ran a test on battery said perfect.
    2 weeks later same thing jumped it no problem.
    3 days later would not start - called dealer after - 4 days in the shop, they said they don't know why its doing it - but after my complaining - they put in a new battery.
    BUT is the battery the problem?
    My Cars warranty is up in June 11. I am looking to extend my warranty now, cause I cant deal with going through this and paying out of pocket.
    I am looking for a extended GMPP to add 30k more miles and 36more months -I found it for $950which sounds good . any help from anyone on battery issues or extended warranty that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
    ALSO if this is an ongoing problem with " TAHOE'S" they should put out a recall so we can have it covered with or without a warranty.
    Thanks Mike
  • I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid
    w/ 29,000 Miles -
    My Cars warranty is up in June 2011.
    I am looking for a extended GMPP to add 30k more miles and 36more months -I found it for $950 which sounds good . Any help from anyone on extended warranty that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
    So Far Greg Bell's Chevy dealership has best price. (Google it)
    1877-265-3140
    I don't work for them - I just want to pass along the research.
    Hopefully there is a better deal out there. My dealer wants $1300 for same warranty.
  • I had the DVD system replaced in my Tahoe a few years ago because the system would stop playing on and off. They replaced the unit and the next day the battery was dead. They replace the unit again and it seemed okay even thought the DVD system still isn't great.
    About couple of months ago I went on a trip and my son left a dvd in the system. The next day the battery was dead. I think that maybe Chevy is using a bad grade of Media Systems and somehow the wiring is faulty causing issue with the electric system on these vehicles.
  • Dear Christina:
    As of today I haven't hear back from you either in the forum or thru my personal email.
    Please advise. My 2007 Tahoe is outside my garage with a dead battery and my wife so mad because she had to drive it in the past few days and needed to jump started it 5 times this past week alone.
    Waiting for your response.
  • Mozartxxi. I have a similar problem, #115. I also have not heard back from GM. Let me know if you hear back from GM Cust Service. I am eager to know if they can help.If Gm knows how to fix this pervasive problem, it should do so. If it doesn't know how to fix it, then that would be a sensational news story. Regards, asignet
    buygm,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Please keep me updated on your progress at your dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Dear GM Customer service,
    Does GM have any clue yet on what is causing the problem with the tahoe?
    If they do know can you share it with all of us OR at least share it with the dealers so they can remedy the situation. I am waiting for any flicker of recognition that there is a recurring issue.
    I am just wondering if it is a "numbers" problem. Are there not enough of us talking abou the same issue? I have been dealing with this issue on my own and by taking it to the dealer and being inonvenienced and spending money to have the battery replaced and on and on. AND my car sits dead in my driveway waiting for at least some recogntion of the esistence of an issue and theat you are working on it. NOT the battery...I have already replaced that and the problem continues.
    I just happened upon this site when I was trying to figure out the answer on my own since I don't get any recognition from GM that a problem exists. Ans your apologizing and telling people to "keep in touch" is actually insulting.
    Do you represent GM or should we be dealing with someone who isn't just paying lip service to our very real problem.
    Please put all of us in touch with someone who can actually tell us that GM recognizes the problem and they have a solution for it.
    PS. My 1995 Suburban with close on 300,000 is a charm
    Just had my 07 Tahoe in for the 50,000 mile service. I told them to make sure they check everything related to the battery drain issue. They tested the battery and charging system. The battery was bad (was replaced under warranty 2 years ago at 33,000 miles) and they recommended replacing but the charging system was working correctly and they did not register any abnormal current draw. They said my truck did not need the reprogram because it does not have rear heated seats and there was no other update for it. I did not replace the battery yet and won't put in another Delco. Will probably put in either a Kirkland from CC or an Interstate.

Wessy
  • kmftxkmftx Posts: 1
    Has there been any solutions found to this problem...I drive an 07 Tahoe that started having this same problem about 3 months ago...I have a new battery and the dealer could not find anything wrong with it?? Please help!
  • Not yet. I can tell you that Christina set me up with GM Customer service and today I had to pull my 2007 Tahoe into GM dealer since I couldn't start it even by jump starting my recently purchased new battery. They did not get back to me today so I will find out until tomorrow if they came to any conclusion what's going on.
  • No solutions to my knowledge. If GM knows what the problem is, they are not talking, not even to the dealerships. The dealerships are trying very hard to solve the problem. In my opinion, GM won't do anything (useful for owners) about this unless and until they are forced to, such as due to a forced recall, adverse publicity or a class action lawsuit. Several weeks ago Christina referred me to Customer Service, too, but I have not heard from them yet.

If anyone gets any news on this issue, please share it with us all.

Regards
  • kitty05kitty05 Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED MY CAR NEW AND SINCE THE FIRST WEEK HAVING IT MY BATTERY HAS DIED. I HAVE CHANGED THE BATTERY 3 TIMES AS WELL AS THE BATTERY CABLE. THE CAR WENT FOR A YEAR AND 2 MONTHS AND NOW THE PROBLEM IS CONTINUING. THE DEALERS DO NOT SEEM TO FIX THE ISSUE THE PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE BATTERY. I HAVE NOW CALLED AN ATTORNEY THAT SAYS I HAVE A CASE SINCE I HAVE DATES TIME AND DOCUMENTATION OF EVERYTHING. THE GM CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OF NO HELP AT ALL THEY TOO GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND. THE DEALER ALSO WANTS 125 DOLLAR FEE TO DO A DIAGNOSTIC OF THE CAR. GM NEEDS TO PAY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND MONEY THEY HAVE CAUSED PEOPLE. ITS UNFORTUNATE I LIKE MY CAR OTHER WISE BUT THIS IS VERY UNRELIABLE. ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS ACTUALLY CAUSING THE BATTERY TO DRAIN.