Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Were you wrongly denied your CARS (i.e., Cash for Clunkers) rebate?

2»

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    If you can email clunked@edmunds.com as well, that would be great!
  • On August 18th, 2009, my husband made a "Cash for Clunkers" deal at the Millenium Dealership in Hempstead, NY. He was trading in our Kia mini van for a RAV4... however the salesman claimed they were out of RAV4s at the time. So he charged $1000 to our credit card to "hold the deal" until the car came in. Supposedly, everything was set with a car loan, insurance, etc. His payments would be just over $300/month.
    My husband was in touch with the dealer while waiting for a car. Each time he spoke to them, whether in person or by phone, he was told not to worry -that the deal would be honored. They were just waiting for the cars to come in.
    Finally the dealer called and said they had the car on 9/4. It was not the exact car or color he was promised but he was going to take it. The salesman then told my husband that they could only give him $750 for our minivan (instead of $4500) and that our monthly payments would go up to $412/month (over $100 more). My husband argued that the deal was set. Despite having $1000 down to hold the deal they refused to honor it. Even after asking for a manager he got no where. I called Toyota Headquarters to complain and was told that they have nothing to do with dealer sales or pricing. They only deal with car quality. They took my complaint and said they would pass it on to the Regional Sales Director.
    Why would the government allow them to continue selling when they didn't have cars available to sell? When the funds ran out, they stopped the program. What about when cars weren't available? My husband thought he had a deal so he never went elsewhere. Meanwhile, other dealers probably had cars. It all seems unfair to the consumer and poorly controlled by the government.
  • I know this has been posted already a lot, but I, too got denied on my cash for clunkers application. I went in to the dealership, negotiated my price and everything, drove off with the car and had it for over 2 weeks when they called and said that my application had been denied due to a 1 week period between the time my registration expired and when I got my new sticker. I think cash for clunkers was a good deal, but they really needed to be very clear on all the rules of the program.
  • We traded in our 1993 Jeep Cherokee for a Toyota Prius. If you look up clunker in the dictionary there is a picture of our Jeep. Two days later Findlay Toyota called to say that although we had owned the car for five years, the car had been insured by Progressive for the full five years there had been an interruption in the registration. Yes, earlier this year our beautiful Jeep could not pass the smog inspection. When we got the necessary repair work done (for $650) the Nevada DMV gave us new registration and charged a penalty for the period it was being repaired of $32.

Not continuously registered ... bring in a check for $4,500. I called Department of transportation three days in a row. Each time a contract answering service would talk with me about it and promise that "an agent" for the agency would call. No one called.

This is all wrong.
  • Why would the government allow them to continue selling when they didn't have cars available to sell? When the funds ran out, they stopped the program. What about when cars weren't available? My husband thought he had a deal so he never went elsewhere. Meanwhile, other dealers probably had cars. It all seems unfair to the consumer and poorly controlled by the government.

Dealers are independently owned. C for C ended before 9/4.
    Your complaint will not get passed on to the Regional Sales Director it will get binned.
  • I think cash for clunkers was a good deal, but they really needed to be very clear on all the rules of the program

They were very clear on the rules pertaining to registration.
    There was a lapse in registration.. hence no pay.
  • Not continuously registered

There was a lapse in registration.. hence no pay.
  • I know the "continuous registration" requirement was set as one year. I think they were aiming at continuous ownership. The government did not want us to buy a car to use as a clunker trade-in. I have not seen the original legislation but I suspect that DOT installed the one year registration requirement.
  • johhnybjohhnyb Posts: 2
    Did you get you car back and unwind your deal? I ask because I had the same problem. However KarMart in Burlington WA waited to 2 months before they contacted me and now they sent me to collections and want $3500. I asked give me my car back and unwind the deal but they will not! I think they resold my car and made a profit. :mad:
2»
This discussion has been closed.